War of Hearts 》Bellamy Blake

By UpInFlames_

At 15, Brinley Kane was locked up. At 18, she was sent to the ground. Brinley Kane had accepted her inev... More

P R O L O G U E
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
P L A Y L I S T
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
B O N U S
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y O N E
T W E N T Y T W O
T W E N T Y T H R E E
T W E N T Y F O U R
PART II: Game of Survival
1 - White Noise
2 - Escape
3 - Allies
4 - Reunions
5 - Metamorphosis
G A M E O F S U R V I V A L
6 - Spacewalker
7 - Consequences
9 - Survival
Playlist
10 - Tag, You're It
11 - Knocking on Heaven's Door
C O N T R O L
PART III: C O N T R O L
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
T H E F A L L O U T
F A L L O U T (Playlist/Excerpt)
Chapter One: Expiration Date
Chapter Two: Truce
Chapter Three: Playing God
Chapter Four: Past // Present

8 - Into The Unknown

10.2K 282 167
By UpInFlames_

A/N Please comment and vote! 3+ for the next part!
*UNEDITED*

WHOSE EXCITED FOR SEASON 4?
I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't ship Bellarke. In the books they made sense together because their characters are written so differently (100% prefer tv Bellamy btw), but in the show... I find it a lot harder to swallow. Idk, we all know it's coming though :')

*****

Brinley followed her Father back to Camp Jaha, stating that she needed some time to heal after the ordeal at the grounder camp. Clarke and Octavia had agreed immediately but Raven and surprisingly Lexa, had watched her sceptically, but made no move to stop her leaving.

The walk back was quiet, her and her father didn't speak much, but the silence wasn't tense and uncomfortable like it had been in the past but rather uncertain – Neither Kane knew what to say to each other so they settled for companionable silence.

As they reached the gates, their waiting people immediately swarmed the two. Brinley caught her father's gaze, smirking at him slightly.

'Good luck.'

Brinley pushed her way through, her eyes searching for the one friend she'd left behind.

'You're not dead then. That's good.'

Brinley turned around, rolling her eyes at her best friend, though she was happy to see him. 'Not dead is the way I'd like to stay, if that's alright with you.'

'I guess I'll have to deal with it.' Murphy smirked, humour lighting his expression. 'Where's lover boy?'

Brinley didn't meet his eyes. 'He's with Lincoln.'

'And here I was thinking Bellamy had a type.'

Brinley stared at him; her jaw dropping before she slapped his arm, though a smile broke out on her face. 'Murphy you jerk!'

'What? I'm just saying.' Murphy snickered at her reaction.

'Not like that you dick!' Brinley laughed. 'He's gone to Mount Weather.' The words were sobering, cutting her laughter off short.

'What?' Murphy frowned.

'I know.' Brinley sighed. 'He wouldn't let me go with him.'

'And you're okay with that?' Brinley didn't look at him and Murphy sighed. 'Of course you're not, what are you planning Brin?'

'I've been in that mountain, if I can get in, I can get out.'

'Don't be stupid-'

'I'm not.' Brinley cut Murphy off firmly 'I'm being realistic. I have an advantage over Bellamy and Lincoln. I can do this, I know I can.'

'I don't doubt that you can, but it's risky. They could kill you-'

' – They could kill me whether I go into that mountain or not. I won't just sit here and do nothing and –' Brinley moved closer to Murphy 'I don't trust Lexa.'

'Does anyone?' Murphy snickered.

'Clarke does.' Brinley's mouth turned down, distrust evident in her eyes. 'It'll get us in trouble.'

'Probably.' Murphy shrugged. 'But don't tell princess that or she'll have you locked up. Can't have that Brinley Kane fire turning her plans to ash.' Murphy's eyes gleamed with humour.

Brinley shoved him, grinning lightly as he stumbled slightly before catching his footing. 'Shut up Murphy.'

*****

Brinley stood in the tension filled room as her father made yet another peach making speech that, six months ago, Brinley was sure he wouldn't have made without being held at gun point.

Brinley could feel the distrust coming off of everyone in waves. There was no way this gathering was going to go smoothly, eventually someone would say something that would cause a riot.

Brinley had taken pleasure in watching the grounders remove their weapons upon arrival at Camp Jaha. She'd caught Indra's eyes and sent her a large smirk that was met with a hate filled glare.

Brinley tensed as one of the grounders boldly made his way towards the wall where Brinley was standing beside Murphy, who looked bored as usual. However a lazy smirk over came his face as the grounder got closer.

'You got a problem.'

Brinley stared at Murphy, a clear warning written across her face. Murphy paid her no attention, meeting the grounders stare evenly, his grip tightening on the flask he held.

The grounder spoke back in an unfamiliar language, which only amused Murphy further. 'I'm sorry man I don't speak grounder.'

The grounder reached out, knocking the flask and it contents to the floor. Murphy retaliated before Brinley could stop him, shoving the grounder back, drawing the attention of everyone in the room.

'Mr Murphy!' The warning was clear in Kane's voice. 'Apologise to that man.'

'For what?' Murphy's face twisted in anger. 'He was the one who came at me.'

'Two days work detail.' Marcus' voice was hard.

'Work detail, I just told you-'

'Care to make it three?'

'Murphy, leave it alone.' Brinley tugged Murphy forwards, away from the confrontation but the grounder seemed unable to let it go as he spoke in perfect English.

'You're gonna burn just like your friend.'

Murphy's face smoothed out for a moment before he shook Brinley's grip off, turning back around and punching the grounder directly in the face.

The two males began fighting, as all hell broke loose. Brinley and Octavia exchanged a look as they began pushing people away while Kane screamed at Murphy to stop.

*****

Brinley swallowed her pride as she punched open the doors of the Ark's makeshift mechanical area. She'd left Murphy to his work detail, promising to find him once she'd spoken to Raven.

Brinley entered the room, her eyes flitting from one metallic contraption to another, right to the brunette girl in the centre of the room who was already watching her.

'What do you want?'

The words weren't nasty, but they weren't exactly inviting either. Some of the tension between the two had simmered down after the incident in the grounder village but remnants of the animosity remained.

'I was wondering if you could do something for me.'

Raven scoffed. 'Everyone always is. What do you need?'

'I need a radio, preferably one of the newest ones you've got.'

At this, Raven's head snapped up in confusion, her brows furrowing. 'What do you need a radio for? They're aren't any sanctioned assignments.'

Brinley shrugged, toying with one of the contraptions on Raven's workbench. 'That's because this mission isn't exactly authorised.'

Raven put down the wires she had been holding, turning to face Brinley completely. 'What are you planning?'

Brinley sighed, hoping she could still trust Raven. 'I'm going back to Mount Weather.'

Raven's shook her head. 'No you're not.'

'Yes, I am.' Brinley squared her shoulders. 'And you can either help me or not. Either way I'm going.'

Raven stared at Brinley for a full minute before she spoke. 'The range in the walkies suck, and Mount Weather could be listening.'

'I know.' Brinley shrugged. 'But it's better than nothing, it's just for emergency. I probably won't even use it.'

Raven sighed. 'I don't like this Brinley. You're no good to us dead.'

'You don't have to like it, but I have to help our friends. Bellamy has no idea what it's like in there, he'll get himself killed.'

Finally, Raven nodded. 'Okay, but don't tell Clarke that I helped you, or Bellamy either. If anyone asks, you did this on your own.'

Brinley nodded, breathing out a small sigh of relief. 'Deal.'

Raven handed her one of the walkies. 'It's better than the ones we built at the dropship but still not great. Instead of speaking just press the button three times so I know you're safe. If I ask you a question click once for yes, twice for no. Don't speak unless it's life or death.'

'Got it. Thanks.' Brinley turned to leave.

'Hey, Brinley wait.' Raven spoke reluctantly. 'I just... what happened with Finn... I, uh...'

'Raven,' Brinley cut the other girl off. 'I get it. It's okay.'

Raven looked relieved. 'Good. Great, uh, don't die okay?'

At this Brinley grinned, breaking some of the awkward tension in the room. 'I'll try not to.'

'Good.' Raven tried to hide her small smile. 'When are you leaving?'

'The second an opportunity presents itself.' Brinley shrugged. 'In the next few hours if I can.'

'Just... just let me know when you've left, and check in with me every few hours okay?'

'Okay. I gotta go find Murphy.'

Raven nodded. 'May we meet again.'

'May we meet again.'

*****

'I take it you don't approve.'

Brinley stopped in her tracks, hiding her radio in her jacket as she watched Jaha lean comfortably against the metal wall, talking to her best friend.

'I asked you a question.'

'I'm not sure I like your tone Jaha.' Brinley breezed past the former Chancellor, not missing the relief on Murphy's face at her reappearance.

'Ah, Miss Kane. I was wondering when you'd come back.'

'What do you want Jaha?'

'Who says I want anything?'

'Everyone always wants something, especially when they wait until no one else is around to strike up a conversation.' Brinley rolled her eyes.

Jaha ignored her, his gaze going back to Murphy. 'I got you off work detail.'

'Why?' Murphy seemed suspicious, and rightfully so.

'Both of you knew my son, and I'd like you to take me to his grave.'

Wells. Brinley swallowed hard at Jaha's words and the reminder of her fallen friend.

'Now that there's a truce, it's safe for me to go and say goodbye.' Jaha elaborated.

'Well then you can get someone else to take you.' Murphy tried to tug Brinley out of the room but Jaha's voice stopped them again.

'I'm told the graves are unmarked. You can show me which is his. You can hold the mop,' Jaha gestured to the mop Murphy was holding. 'Or you can hold the gun.'

The moment Jaha pulled out the gun; Brinley knew it was all over.

*****

Brinley had managed to hastily grab her pack before she'd left for the dropship with Jaha, the strange trio slipping out of the camp mostly unnoticed. The cool metal of a handgun pressed against her skin, tucked neatly into the band of her fading jeans.

Brinley and Murphy walked side by side, hoping to avoid any more conversations with Jaha, both having been wronged by the man on multiple occasions.

'It's extraordinary isn't it?' Jaha was looking up at all the trees in awe.

Murphy and Brinley exchanged a glance. 'Oh, just give it a few days.'

'Brinley, we haven't had a chance to speak properly yet.'

Brinley tensed, rolling her eyes. 'There's a reason for that.'

'You seem to be adjusting well.'

'Yeah, well surviving is one thing I'm exceptionally good at.'

'I can see that.'

'How about we just don't talk anymore, yeah?' Murphy drawled, glancing at Brinley who shot him a small smile of thanks.

'I may not know everything that happened before I got down her, but I do know something about what you're feeling son.'

Murphy stopped walking and Brinley instinctively reached out, entwining her hand with Murphy's. 'Don't call me that. I'm nobody's son. You made sure of that.'

'I remember your Father.'

'Yeah right.' Murphy scoffed.

'Alex Murphy. Convicted of theft of rationed medicine. He stole it to take care of you. I remember them all.'

Brinley tightened her hold on Murphy's hand as they reached the dropship, unsure of who needed the support more; her or Murphy.

'We're here. Home sweet home.'

Brinley watched out of the corner of her eye as awe spread over Jaha's face.

'Graveyards this way.' Murphy gently released Brinley's hand as they walked towards the graves of the fallen.

Brinley ushered Jaha ahead of her, slowing her movement as she pulled out the walkie, clicking the button three times, signifying she was safe.

Unbeknownst to Brinley, back at their camp, Raven breathed a sigh of relief at the three short bursts of static that crackled through.

The late afternoon sun began to dull until darkness fell. Brinley was restless, the desire to leave almost unbearable. Murphy had begun to feel the same, reluctantly moving towards Jaha with Brinley close behind.

'You about done? We got to be heading back.'

Brinley tried not to look at Jaha, who was crouched by Wells' grave, tear tracks running down his face. The sight was painful, and far too familiar.

'How well did you know him?'

Murphy sighed. 'Well enough to be hung for his murder.'

Brinley's eyes shot up, watching Jaha's face morph into one of confusion.

'Clarke sugar-coated it for you, didn't she?'

Jaha stood up, staring at Murphy with new eyes. 'What happened to my son?'

'A twelve year old girl stabbed him in the neck with a knife she took from me.'

Jaha shook his head in disbelief. 'Why would she do that?'

'She couldn't kill you.' Murphy shook his head. 'Yeah, So you got a lot of blood on your hands, Chancellor. Every single one of them, including your son, would still be alive if you hadn't sent us down here.'

'It I didn't send you, they would have died on the Ark with the rest of us. And we would have never known that Earth is survivable. Their sacrifice is why we are here. Good, can come out of even the darkest acts John.'

Jaha sighed, glancing down at Wells' grave again. 'Who found him?'

'I did.' Brinley swallowed, meeting Jaha's gaze. 'And I dug his grave because no one else would have done it. Sending Wells down here with the rest of us was the worst possible thing you could have done for him. You should have known the rest of the prisoners wouldn't take to the Chancellor's son kindly.'

Jaha looked away from Brinley's accusing stare. He sighed as he began walking away, back towards the drop ship.

'Camp you is that way.' Murphy pointed out immediately.

'We'll rest at the dropship for awhile.' Jaha sounded defeated and Brinley felt a surge of sympathy run through her.

'Suit yourself.' Murphy shrugged, following the older man, Brinley not far behind.

*****

It didn't take Brinley long to fall asleep.

Whether it was from exhaustion or the knowledge that she wouldn't be able to sleep properly indefinitely she didn't know – all she knew was she woke up feeling better than she had in a long time, even despite the circumstances.

It took Brinley a moment to blink the sleep from her eyes, and when she did, she realised what had woken her.

Voices.

She knew immediately that it wasn't grounders, all the voices spoke in English and not one word of grounder language was heard. Brinley's hand reached for her gun –

'Relax Brinley, they're friends.'

Brinley stared at Jaha who was wearing an odd expression, it took Brinley a moment to realise what it was.

Hope.

Beside her, Murphy jerked awake, looking around hazily. Jaha left the confines of the dropship and after sharing a look, Murphy and Brinley hurriedly followed. Together the two of them took in the small crowd staring at the dropship warily.

'What the hell is this?' Murphy sounded unamused.

'We're going to the city of light.'

'The city of...' Brinley frowned.

'You're going now?' Murphy interrupted. 'There's a million ways to die out there.'

Murphy's words seemed to unsettle some of the watching crowd and Jaha hurried to reassure them. 'Well if it's not your time, nothing can kill you, but if it is it only takes one.'

'Right. You even have a map?' Murphy was stalking closer towards the former Chancellor now, but still staying out of reach.

'No.'

'Then how do you know where you're going?'

'We don't. But I will not be ruled by fear. You want to stop being treated like a criminal?' Jaha walked towards Brinley and Murphy confidently. 'Then you have to stop thinking that that's all you are.'

A muscle in Murphy's jaw twitched but he didn't speak.

'Take this leap of faith with me. Both of you.' Jaha looked to Brinley briefly. 'And let me show you there is so much more than this.' Jaha gestured to the dropship.

Jaha walked away, leading the larger group away. Brinley glanced at Murphy who was watching the group leave.

'Murphy? C'mon, you're not actually considering this are you?'

'He's right. I'm never going to be anything more than a criminal to them, Princess proved that.' Murphy scoffed.

'Jaha's insane-'

'Maybe, but maybe he's right.'

Murphy turned and looked Brinley directly in the eyes and after a moment, Brinley sighed. 'You won't change your mind will you?'

'Probably not. Just like you won't change your mind about going into Mount Weather.'

Brinley hugged Murphy to her, feeling him do the same as she pulled back and kissed his cheek. 'Don't die, okay?'

'Yeah whatever. You do the same then yeah?'

'I'll try.' Brinley smirked. 'May we meet again.'

'Oh we will doll face, you're like a disease I can't get rid of.'

Brinley shoved him away from her. 'Go or you'll never catch up.'

'Yes Ma'am.' Murphy mock saluted her and Brinley stood there by the dropship, watching him get smaller and smaller -

Until she couldn't see him at all.

*****

Brinley wasted no time repacking her belongings into the small pack she carried. As she packed, she clicked the radio three times signalling she was fine to the only person who knew she was gone.

Brinley stared at the dropship and the graveyard for a moment longer before she squared her shoulders and walked away.

*****

Maya glanced around as she entered the room full of cages. Lovejoy had been right, twenty-five minutes for a full transfusion was a record which could only mean there was new blood - better blood - blood that came from the kids of the Ark.

Maya hoped and prayed that it wasn't Harper or Monty, she couldn't imagine having to tell Jasper that his friends –

She swallowed back bile at the thought.

Maya knew that without the transfusions her and her people would die, but forcefully taking blood from unwilling participants was wrong. If people wanted to donate they could – but the President, his son and Doctor Tsing were far too arrogant to see past their own survival and it made Maya sick.

Maya jumped slightly as the door clicked shut behind her. She forced her eyes up to see if it was Monty or Harper, but the man strung up was unfamiliar to her. He was tall with the most unusual patterns on his face – freckles, she soon realised.

Her eyes searched her surroundings, looking for a way to help the man who was slowly but surely dying as he hung upside down, tubes full of crimson protruding from his body.

Her hands found the epinephrine needles that were placed on a side table. Adrenaline should wake him up enough for her to find out who he was – and if he'd seen Monty and Harper.

She hesitated only for a second before she jabbed the shot into his thigh.

The man breathed in a huge gasp of air and Maya backed away, frightened by the sudden sound. If anyone heard them – and realised what she'd done...

Well, the outcome wasn't good.

The people in the cages began rattling the bars as the silence broke and Maya prayed that they'd stop before someone came to investigate what all the commotion was about.

Maya knew she was running out of time as she crouched down so the hanging man could see her face, and she could see his.

'Who are you?' Her hands tightened into fists as she kept her eyes focused on the gasping male.

The man kept looking around wildly, searching for something – or someone. A thought slowly dawned on her.

'You're from the Ark, aren't you?' This caught the man's attention, his head snapping back towards the girl.

'Yeah.'

Maya felt relief flood through her, she finally had something real to report to Jasper other than half-truths and maybes.

'Do you know Jasper?'

'Maya?'

Her name falling from the man's lips shocked her, but after a moment she nodded quickly.

'How about getting me down Maya?'

Maya tore off the ECG wires from his chest, the heart rate monitor going flat just as the door beeped and someone finally came to investigate all the noise.

'Lovejoy, hey.' Maya tried to hide the shaking of her voice.

'What are you doing here? You're not cleared for this facility.'

'I know, I'm sorry. I just wanted to see what was so special about him but... he's dead.' Maya didn't glance at the man, hoping he'd play along.

A frown crossed Lovejoy's face as he walked forward to investigate. 'So he is.'

Maya could only watch what was about to occur. 'You were a brave girl coming in here-'

Everything moved too quickly for Maya's mind to register what was happening, and before she knew it – she'd stabbed Lovejoy. Maya watched the two men fight, her hands fumbling to pick up the gun that had been kicked to the side.

'Stop!' Her hands were shaking.

'Don't, they'll hear.' The man warned as he continued fighting

Only a few minutes later Lovejoy's body dropped to the floor – his face blue as the boy from the Ark lowered his hands, breathing heavily, nodding at a grounder in one of the cages.

'You all right? Hey, you okay?' It wasn't until he touched her arm that Maya realised through the fog of her mind that she was being spoken to.

'I'm fine.' They both knew she was lying, but neither commented on it.

'Help me get him undressed, we need to hide the body.'

Maya nodded, crouching down and pulling off Lovejoy's vest, avoiding looking him in the face.

'I'm Bellamy.'

Bellamy watched the girl's shaking hands still their movements as she looked up. 'Brinley's Bellamy?'

Bellamy's heart gave a painful lurch at the mention of her name.

'Jasper told me everything. Did her and Clarke – '

'They're alive.' Bellamy pulled off Lovejoy's boots, keeping his eyes down.

Maya nodded, breathing out a sigh of relief. Bellamy wasn't sure if he was lying to her or not. The two girls had been alive when he'd left, but the ground had proved to be entirely unpredictable and nothing was ever straightforward. Every waking moment was spent wondering if the people you cared about were still alive, and if they'd still be alive tomorrow.

Bellamy wasn't sure if he was lying, because for all he knew - they were already dead. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 179 43
Life could be peaceful, Tyra had come to learn. Her brother was back in her presence, the man she loved still breathed, and peace could live even wit...
303K 6.1K 55
"You say that you have a whole hell of problems, but you underestimate the hell I've been through," I murmur, as he tilts his head downwards towards...
17.6K 319 28
Another new story. ~~~~ "Blake, your not a cadet anymore. Why you here?" I asked. "How's it going woods?" Bellamy smiled. "Dodging questions I see"...