Interviews with Writers Big a...

Per KimberleySBLieb

So I thought it be interesting to speak to my fellow Wattpad Friends and to share their love of writing, food... Més

The Reason Why I am Interviewing Writers
Interview No.1 - The Great Gustav (Updated)
Interview 2 - Heather Coyle
Interview No.3 - Ivy - IVM992
KaraMichelleBooks Interview
DawnStarling - Creator of the Next Big Recognition Contest
Interview with Rachel Horwitz
ROSE GLUCK- DONNA BARROW GREEN
Kimberley S B Lieb - interviewed by Dawn Starling
Kelly Anne Blount - Interview
Interview with Mary L Tabor
Interview with D S Jamison
Interview with Leigh W Stuart
Interview with Elise Noble
Interview with Owain Glyn
Interview with Taran Matharu
Interview with Shaun Allan
Interview with Jesse Sprague
Emma V Leech - aka La Dame Blanche
Dec 2016 - Lindsey Clarke aka @LittleCinnamon
Grace also known as swiftiegirl1010
Chris Buono Interview
Morgana D James - Interview with a Book Blogger
Henry Scott
Note to Readers
Untitled Part 26
Note to Readers
Note to Readers
A Touch of Magic with Lina Hanson
Interview with A Roy
INTERVIEW WITH KATHERINE aka @me2you804
Interview with Amber Boyd
Wattpad Block Party Post
So You Want to be Interviewed?

Interview with Maya known as Mokbook

56 9 29
Per KimberleySBLieb

I would like to introduce you to the talented Maya who helps run the Next Big Recognition on the DawnStarling profile with Dawn and Grace swiftiegirl1010 who I have previously interviewed.   Maya  is otherwise known as mokbook and lives in Singapore with her husband.

Maya has lived in a few countries over the years, including Australia but her favourite place so far is Japan, which even though she is well travelled, still draws her back to visit, time and time again, so much so she has practically visited everywhere in the country. Which is pretty impressive.

Thank you for kindly agreeing to undertake this interview. Let's get ourselves comfortable as we settle down in our virtual Beach Café in our comfy chairs. Now I'll order and I'll treat.

So what are we drinking? Coffee? Tea? Or a glass of wine?? Oh and are we having cake? If so, which cake is your favourite? Is there a memory attached to it that you would like to share?

(1) Reply: It's so great to be here and thank you for choosing to interview me, I'm super honoured.

Since we're so close to Christmas, I'm just gonna splurge and say I'd like a slice of pumpkin pie and a glass of Champers please :-) Care to join me?

Absolutely chink chink. However, I must admit I have never tasted Pumpkin Pie...here goes...here's a recipe I found which is suppose to be the easiest ever to make!

So happy I've introduced you to something new ;-)

It's good to experiment and expand horizons :-)

What do you think makes Japan particularly special to you?

Reply: You'd be surprised how many times I've been asked this and yet I still don't have a short, specific answer for it. Sorry ;-)

As long as I can remember I've been fascinated with Japan (my parents think I must've been Japanese in my past life). And growing up I was interested in two things, computers and martial arts.

Japan has always been one of the leaders in cutting edge technology even in the days before windows (oh I'm giving away hints to my age, at least punch cards were obsolete by the time I was born, almost :-) haha). Even as a kid I was enthralled with science fiction and so it became my dream to go to this technologically advanced country.

My interest grew as I learned martial arts in my teens, I even tried learning Japanese in high school which didn't go so well. But it wasn't until I turned twenty-four that I finally set foot on Japanese soil. From the first step off the plane I had this overwhelming sensation/ feeling of returning home, strange I know but I can't explain it any other way. I will say that even with all my expectations, Japan never disappointed.

https://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Visiting-shrinestemples-and-old-homes-contrasting-Heritage-Sites.jpg

Above is one of my favorite places in the world, Kiyomizudera or Kiyomizu temple, in Kyoto. Even when it's bustling with tourist, if you take a minute you can literally feel the history while you are there.

And here is another beauty, Kinkakuji or the golden pavilion which is literally leafed in gold!

http://resources.realestate.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Kinkakuji-Winter-1020x500.jpeg

The whole country is truly unique. It's a place of unexpected wonders filled with rich history, culture, breathtaking scenery, welcoming people and mouth-watering food, they have it all! The one year I had originally planned to stay quickly turned into six! And I know that many of my experiences there will be remembered as some of the best times of my life.

For example, above is a crazy sports day event at the high school I taught at for three years. And yes the boys are holding the pole up (it's not attached to anything) while one boy climbs it and places a cap at the top. In the US/ UK/ AUS etc. this would be a lawsuit waiting to happen, but in all the time I taught there, not once did anyone get injured. The students had fun, were competitive, all while caring for the safety of each other. The school culture there was extremely impressive.

OMG they would never let my daughter or her friends at High School do this!

Haha to be fair they only let the boys do this. All the girls' activities were very safe.

Now that isn't fair! But I'm not letting my daughter have a go! Although I'm half tempted and then not!

I would've wanted to participate as a teen, as an adult... I'm glad I don't have to ;-)

I could write pages more, but let's stop here for now... might start to bore some people.

I think it is great that you have found a place that enthralls you, whenever I have gone back somewhere, I have tended to be disappointed and not found one a special place that I really calls to me, time and time to go back. Although I do like some parts of the far east.

I have a feeling you will go back, as after living there you still love it and return regularly. It definitely appears to have many things that are unique.

I hoping to go again next year to the last place on my bucket list, Hokkaido! Still trying to decide if I want to go during winter or summer though... skiing or brewery hopping... decisions decisions ;-)

That's a hard one - maybe you should let people vote and choose lol

I noticed you studied martial arts and won medals at National Level, which is incredibly impressive. What type of martial arts did you study?

Reply: I think it sounds more impressive than it really is ;-) I have a few medals for Shotokan style Karate which I studied for four years or so, after that I branched out a bit and dabbled in Taekwondo, Aikido, kick-boxing, regular boxing and Kyudo (which is traditional Japanese archery).

https://tokyobling.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/dsc_0303.jpg

Wow talented girl. Those bows are big! My daughter enjoyed trying out archery but the traditional English ones are a fraction of the size of the ones you used.

The bows are pretty long! Archery is great, done a bit of that but what's different about Kyudo and what I loved about it was that it was a sport/ martial art that promotes finding inner peace. Their philosophy is if your heart is in turmoil it will reflect in your bow and shots, meaning you'd likely miss the tiny target.

That is a beautiful concept and finding inner peace definitely makes people happier.

If anyone is interested in seeing Kyudo, I finally found a short good clip of it. It's quite different to archery.

 Is that your dog in your profile picture (I love dogs) details, details, details please. Breed, name, funny things he/she does. Picture too, so we can all go ahhhhh.

Reply: I am most definitely a dog person too, cats and I have a mutual dislike for one another. The dog in the photo is not mine, I haven't had one since I left Australia. But I make friends with them any opportunity I get, and the fluffy white guy in the photo was one I fell in love with during a week long holiday in Seoul, Korea. He and his owner were regulars at a bar I frequented during the trip. The owner was happy his pet was being watched, I was happy to drink while loving the cuddly, fluffy pup and the puppy got a comfy lap. Win win for everyone I guess ;-)

Oh dear, my Missy Cat had better hide! Lol. She loves to be given affection and at times I think she believes she is actually a dog! I do love dogs (shh don't let Missy hear), I regularly look after my friend's dogs, much to Missy Cat's chargin! There is Bella a Minature Schauzner and Bayley a Golden Cocker Spaniel, who love coming to stay. I still miss my dog Shep who was a Border Collie but until I can work from home exclusively, I don't think it's very practical to get another one. :-(

Oh I love Border Collie's! But yes you are right they need attention and a lot of room to run around.

I use to walk my dog for an hour in the morning and the same at night! More at the weekend but then I didn't need to go to a gym!

 Your first book Cardinal Sky has been successful (at time of writing you have 24.5k reads and it is rated #36 in Science Fiction). What gave you the initial idea for the book? I notice you are posting smaller chapters and I am currently doing the same, as advised most readers prefer this.   

 https://www.wattpad.com/story/45165721-cardinal-sky

Reply: It's getting there, I'm not sure I'd say successful just yet but it is gaining traction. Mid Dec it hit #18 in Science Fiction!! Was super stoked about that, and I'm getting more readers every week so I am fairly pleased with the way things are headed.

The inspiration for this novel, funnily enough, hit me after re-watching Reign of Fire. It's not a great movie I know, I was watching it for the eye candy: Christian Bale, Matthew McConaughey and Gerard Butler. Yum! And before you ask there are no dragons in Cardinal Sky. What got me thinking was... the movie's set 10~15 years after a world-ending devastation and shows how people have adapted to survive. There are a lot of stories about initial disaster events or way after (like maze runner or hunger games etc.), but less showing life a decade plus after and I started imagining what earth would be like ten years after an alien invasion.

I jotted down the idea but it took a few months before I started writing Sky's (my MC) journey because I was focused on another book at the time. But when I hit a slump, for a change of pace, I started writing down Sky's adventures and the story just flowed! And it seemed to resonate a lot more with readers so I decided to refocus my efforts on Cardinal Sky. And so far so good! Fingers crossed it stays that way.

TRAILER FOR REIGN OF FIRE

I definitely agree with you there, eye candy there are for sure! Window shopping, is perfectly acceptable! We all get inspiration in different ways and write in different ways and it's good to work the way that is best for you. How wonderful to get a ranking at #19 Science Fiction, I would be stoked to get such a high ranking too. Often it's just getting your book out there that is the first hurdle, if people like your work then the word gets out.

LMAO I love how you call looking at guys window shopping =D

And you are very right about word of mouth. I know a few of my readers were introduced to Cardinal Sky by their friends. However a large part on my success goes to two users, NikkiS  who introduced my book Claire-Merle  author of Shadow Weaver (highest ranking #1 in Fantasy) and Claire for listing my book in her reading list 'Reads I recommend.' You'd be surprised how many of her, over a million readers for Shadow Weaver come wandering over and find themselves in Cardinal Sky. Thank you NikkiS and  Claire-Merle!!

It's good to know you have such good support of your writing to get your work known to a bigger audience. I do mention books I am enjoying reading at the current time and it means a lot to me when people recommend my works. It is a great way to discover new books to read and I know I look at what people suggest too in the genres I enjoy.

You have a good flowing writing style and the first chapter of Cardinal Sky captures the reader right away, particularly the hunting scene, I really felt I was there. I understand you are looking at publishing. Are you considering the traditional road or self publishing? Or keeping your options open?

Thank you. I've rewritten the first chapter more times than I can count, and I'm sure I'll continue to do so a few times more before I arrive at the final version.

Re: Publishing, I've read so many horror stories about traditional publishing; that it generally takes around two years before your book makes it to the 'shelves'. Also I'm not a fan of buying a digital book for over $10USD, especially when I know the author is probably only seeing about a dollar out of the ten. I like the idea of being able to set my own, more affordable price so in that sense I suppose I am leaning more to self-publishing, but I know that approach won't be cheap. Editors, a good one, cost a pretty penny and then of course I'll need to pay someone to do my bookcover... then there is Advertising fees... I can see the dollar signs adding up...

While traditional publishing is cheaper for authors, there are a lot of exceptions and concessions that they likely have to make. I'm not saying I'm against it although it may sound that way, but it is something I would need to carefully consider before signing a contract. I doubt I would go with a large publisher because in almost every case you need to go through an agent... I'd probably go for a publisher you can approach without an agent if I did take the traditional road. In fact I have an open invitation to send my book into a boutique publisher who contacted me at the beginning of the year inviting me to submit Cardinal Sky when it's completed. We shall see...

But first things first I need to focus on finishing the novel, and then I guess I will weigh up the pros and cons more carefully. To sum up, at the moment I'm keeping my options open.

It's good to look at different options. LaDameBlanche (Emma V Leech) self-publishes all of her works and EliseNoble is an indie publisher, they have been successful but put in a great deal of work but then if you publish yourself you get a bigger return. It's swings and roundabouts I guess.

From what I've heard and it takes a while for indie authors to reach the point where they can quit their day job. They need to publish a few books before they are able to build up a loyal reader pool. But there are definitely some great success stories of self-published authors, quite a number who've been picked up by publishing companies as well.

In your second book, Broken Sky(The Sky Series 0.5) (which you are currently writing) you have taken the surprising step of going backwards. People often do that later on but rarely after the first book. What made you feel you needed to back in time, in respect of your story?

 https://www.wattpad.com/story/59094245-broken-sky-the-sky-series-0-5

Reply: Haha yes it was a bit of an odd move. I created so much backstory for Sky, I realised it would probably make a nice precursor.

Many pivotal events occur during the period between the alien's first arrival to the first day of book one, that shape Sky into the person she is in Cardinal Sky. The urge to flesh them out into chapters became overwhelming, so I did! And I actually find it more fun to write too, Sky is younger, without the weight of the world on her shoulders, and I get to spend more time with some of my favorite characters that don't get much facetime in the first novel. So I suppose I'm writing it more for me than anyone else ;-)

TSS (The Sky Series) 0.5 will be novella length though, or at least that is plan right now to keep it around 50~60K words. Who knows.

 I guess we will have to wait and see. Sometimes the story leads us!

Very true!

 If I could grant you three wishes, what would they be and why?

Reply: hmm... my first thought was world peace, isn't that the standard? But then again what is world peace? If you look at the Alien's in my book their idea of world peace is very different, so I'm scratching that wish...

That saying 'be careful what you wish for' is playing over and over in my mind.

I don't normally do a lot of wishing, so this is somewhat a hard question. If I just focus on selfish things (which might be easier) then I guess number one would be to see earth from the moon.

Wish two would be to load my consciousness into a younger clone (late teens) of myself (to get rid of those aches and pains) hehe, yes I am a sci-fi geek.

And last one... I guess to see at least one of my finished novels on the NYT bestseller list. I'm not too greedy, it doesn't have to reach number one but somewhere in the top ten would be amazing. haha I'm not asking for much right? ;-)

They are pretty good wishes....great choices!

Cheers :-)

Do you know what inspired you to write, that makes you want to keep writing and continues to drive you do so?

Reply: If you had told me twenty years ago, that I'd be writing a book. I would've told you, "you're crazy!" English was NOT my best subject. I was a math science major, I wanted to be a scientist or engineer, but life took me on a different journey.

I'd always had a crazy imagination as a kid, I think it comes from having siblings and first cousins who are at least seven years older. Plus there were no kids my age within walking distance from my house. So a lot of the times (when not at school) I had no one to entertain me (this is in the days before the internet and hundreds of TV channels), so I learnt to entertain myself. I spent hours making up adventures with my action figurines and yes, couldn't escape those barbie dolls... grr.

From my mid teens to mid twenties I jotted down a few stories just for the hell of it. I liked to (still like to) daydream a lot and created entire movies and played them in my mind or they'd pop up in my dreams. Of course I'd thought a number of times, how cool it would be to fully write out some of my adventures, but at the time I didn't have confidence in my ability to turn my ideas into novels.

It wasn't until one of my older sisters praised my writing style for a blog I kept while in Japan that I started gaining some confidence. But it would still be almost ten years after before I made the decision to write my first book.

I've written two so far, neither have been published because over the last few years of writing and studying how to write, I myself have seen immense improvements to my style and I know my original skills were not good enough to do those two stories justice. I suppose I've finally arrived at a level that I'm fairly happy with (of course there is always room for improvement). And once I finish The Sky Series I would like to go back and rewrite the first two books along with the umptine other ideas for novels I have jotted down.

Right now the urge to get Sky's story out drives me to write and the super amazing, encouraging comments I get from my readers motivates me to publish chapters sooner than later. I am ever so grateful to my readers for their continued support. There wouldn't be much of Sky on Wattpad without them.

Wattpad really encourages those of us who want to know if our stories are ones people want to read. The feedback is amazing, knowing that people are enjoying your story when you probably have only shared it on Wattpad and probably no one else has seen it, is something special. It definitely spurs the novice writer on and I know published writers such as ShaunAllan have said they love Wattpad for the feedback, just selling your book is not enough. Wattpad is unique and the connection you get here with writer and reader is not the same anywhere else.

Yes the feedback on Wattpad has been great! I've tried a few other platforms in the last couple of years and Wattpad has really given me a taste of what my target audience (not just what other authors) think of my story.

What writing advice would you pass on to other writers that you have personally learnt?

Reply: There is always room for improvement.

There are very few people in the world who can just sit down and churn out a best seller on their first go, if you are one of those then lucky you! For the rest of us, practice makes perfect, and don't just write. Read and study too. You won't improve if you keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

If you aren't writing, read! The more you read the better you'll write. Try to examine other authors works with a critical eye. What worked for them? What did you like about their story? Are there any ways you can adopt good things they've done into your own story/ style? Work on eventually making it your own.

Have other people read your work and be open to their feedback. If more than one person says the same thing then you really should consider their advice. Read some 'how to write a novel' books (I have tens of them) and take away the points that resonate with you. Know your weakness and work on improving them. I'm always looking for ways to better my style and story.

I saw a very true quote the other day, that many famous authors have said in similar ways, but I'll go with Roald Dahl's –who I was lucky enough to meet when I was young, even got to listen to him read a chapter from the Twits! Anyway he said it perfectly:

"Good writing is essentially rewriting."

That is good advice. How wonderful to have met such a talented writer.

The Twits book trailer. 

You can even have dinner with TWITS...believe it or not...  

What movie has made the biggest impression on you and why?

Reply: I narrowed it down to two and I'm going to reveal my inner otaku with the first one, although it was re-released by Walt Disney so maybe I can put my secret otaku persona back in the closet ;-)

These films also rate in my top ten all time favourites: Spirited Away by director, Hayao Miyazaki and the second is a Chinese Film with Jet Li called Hero (released in 2002), directed by Zhang Yimou (he did House of Flying Daggers too with Takeshi Kaneshiro *drool*... oops sorry getting sidetracked). And please watch them in their original languages with English subtitles, everytime I catch glimpses of the dubbed versions I cringe.

Spirited away, if you haven't heard of it is an animated movie. The story is not overly unique (if you watch anime) but it is beautiful. And I just love how it feeds my imagination. The main character, while young is a strong and determined heroine, which I love seeing. Plus I adore Japanese folktales, any show that has yokai (what the Japanese call their supernatural beings, and they have a lot) is almost instantly a winner for me. But this one stands out above the rest. It has everything I want in a movie, a bit of mystery, some action and adventure, lots of fantasy and magic and a touch of romance and comedy, leaving you with wonderful, warm fuzzy feelings at the end.

Fun fact: Hayao Miyazaki and Ghibli studios have released numerous amazing animated movies, another great one is Howl's Moving Castle which is actually based off an English novel published under the same name by Diana Wynne Jones, which is also excellent. I highly recommend it.

The second film Hero, is probably the most visually stunning film I've ever seen. The colours in the movie left a lasting impression that still vibrate within me today (14 years later). It's an incredible film with spectacular scenes, amazing action (I love martial arts), based on a single tale told in three perspectives, each one getting closer to the truth. Then to top it off the music score is gorgeous. While the story is not overly deep, there is a definite message at the end, a morale to the tale.

I have seen quite a few Japanese films over the years and they are always stunning the way they are shot. They really go for the visuals in a bigger way than European and American films are. The fight scenes are really something else for sure!

Is there something crazy you have always wanted to do, that's on your bucket list that you are willing to share?

Reply: Fly in a fighter jet! I need to save up and go to Russia. I think the price has dropped a lot now to only 11~18K Euros, depending on which package you choose, so it's not too far out of reach. Need to sell some books first. ;-) Then maybe in a decade I can replace this with fly to space.

Well, my BF took flying lessons when he was younger and he loved the idea of living in a plane, he still wants his own plane, although not a fighter jet!

Can't you twist someone's arm to let you go on one, show them some karate moves if they don't agree. Be persuasive, it might save you some money! It works in the movies!

LOL!! Unfortunately I think that would be pretty hard in Singapore, but I do know a couple of ex-fighter pilots... maybe I might try that! ;-)

Do they qualify as eye candy? After all it might make the flight even better lol.

While I'm always up for a good dosage of eye candy ;-) I think I'd rather not have any in the plane with me, because from what I've heard there is a very good chance of throwing up on your first go...

Well, if you have to be sick....at least.... ha ha

Do you like to write with music in the background (if so what artist in particular) or do you like peace and quiet like me? If you like peace and quiet, when you are not writing, what do you like to listen to?

Reply: Depends on my mood and the scene. A lot of the time I use music to draw inspiration while I'm planning and when I'm re-reading and rewriting my work. There are times, especially for action or depressing scenes, where I use music to magnify my emotions or intensity of the fight. The songs I listen to while writing (95% of them) have no lyrics, words tend to break my concentration.

Generally my playlists are filled with movie and trailers soundtracks or something similar. Some of my favorite groups and composers are: Nathan Lanier - I really wish he would release more songs!

Two Steps from Hell (I love their name), they have a whole collection of Fantasy style songs.

A new group I recently discovered (which works great with Cardinal Sky) is Ninja Tracks. Their songs have a real sci-fi/ alien/ dystopia feel to them. Perfect for my novel :-)

Others I really like are: Twelve Titans Music, Audiomachine, Soundcritters, Kerry Muzzey, James Dooley, Epic Score, 8Dawn and so many more.

I'll leave you with one more I just used with one of my latest chapters by Really Slow Motion.

 I love the quiet to write but don't always get it due to my teenage daughter, her friends and family noise!

Outside noise can definitely be distracting, I find music helps to disguise it sometimes ;-)

I love the proverb you quoted at the beginning of your book The Cardinal Sky, "The enemy of my enemy – is my friend" ancient proverb. It's quite thought provoking, what drew you to add this.

Reply: I've always loved this expression, it's an 'ancient Arab' proverb or so they say. Apparently it's been difficult to trace, but in one of the new Star Trek movies Spock states that the Arab Prince who first said it was killed by his friend ;-) haha poor guy. Not sure how true that is though. But back to the question, the reason I used it was because I felt it is a good fit with the first part of the book, it sets the theme.

Yes you are absolutely right - it has exactly the right feel.

What books are you currently reading, on and off Wattpad and is there a particular book that you have read at some point that particularly stands out in your mind over the passing of time?

(14) Reply: On Wattpad-> The last book I completed (about a month ago) was MissBookNut's amazing Constantine: Daughter of War. I really enjoyed it and am eagerly looking forward to the next book! Before that I devoured Paladin by SallySlater. I even bought it on kindle and I've re-read twice already! And as soon as I get some spare time I've a list of books in my reading list that I hope to dive into.

Off Wattpad -> I haven't been doing much 'published' novel reading lately, I'm still getting over my disappointment from book 2 in a series where the 1st book showed so much promise, and a book 3 in a series where the first two were awesome. But, I am gearing up to read Cinda Williams Chima's new book Flamecaster (Shattered Realms #1)! Her Seven Realms series is one of my favorites. And also on the list is Marie Lu's Young Elites series, I read the first book which was great, quite different. Books 2 and 3 are out so I'm hanging out to get them for Christmas ;-)

A few books besides the seven realms that stood out for me, has to be The Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Her writing is amazing and I'm a sucker for Atlantis stories. Cracked by Eliza Crewe – I thought any book with a blurb that starts with "Meet Meda. She eats people." has to be awesome and it didn't disappoint. Loved all the Harry Potter books, number five was my favourite. And the first three books from Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, after book four well... hmm. But the first two especially are worth a gander!

I love Marion Zimmer Bradley and read quite a few of her books in the past, although not recently.

If you could time travel in the Tardis with Dr Who across the expanse of time, would you want to travel back to the past and if so, what time frame, where and who would you would like to meet? Or (as you are a Sci-fi writer) would you rather take your chances and travel forward in time?

Reply: What an awesome question! I've often thought of places and people I'd love to meet throughout time. I'd love to unravel all the mysterious history turns into legends. Like find out if there ever really was a King Arthur or see stonehenge and the seven wonders of the ancient world at the height of their glory. To meet people like, Alexander the great (he might have me killed before I got close enough), Lincoln, Buddha, even Jesus... the list goes on. And while there are so many questions I have about the past, it would be very interesting to see what the world is like in say 400-500 years. Hopefully Earth is still there.

But since I can only choose one or the other, I guess I would go back. I'm a big, HUGE fantasy fan at heart and a lot of fantasy stories are inspired by accounts of the past and legends. Also, it would be amazing to find out how different real events are from recorded history. So, so long if I didn't get stuck there I'd go way, way back about 5000~6000 years or so to visit Ancient Mesopotamia, one of the oldest recorded civilizations. It would be mind blowing to see how life was then, to see cuneiform in use, learn about their culture, their beliefs, technology, and I bet it would make an awesome novel ;-) haha I might even find references to Atlantis!! One can only hope.

I have a feeling if you went back to the past, that things would not be exactly how you expect them to be and I am sure you would miss the things we take for granted every day.

I fully agree which is why that return trip home better be working ;-) I wouldn't want to get stuck there.

What's your favourite meal and why?

Reply: I have many... I love food!! Thanks to growing up in a super multicultural family. My parents cooked meals from all over; American, Italian, French, Mexican, Malaysian, Singaporean, Chinese, Sri Lankan, Thai, Indian, Indonesian, Burmese, the list goes on. Then as an adult, Japanese and Korean among many more cuisines were added to my favorites list. And today I'm going to choose a Korean dish. Bibimbap YUM! Ugg I'm getting super hungry now. I adore kimche, put it together with egg, meat, veggies and hot crispy rice!! Can't go wrong!! Super delicious! And add a pint of ice cold lager with it to cut through the spiciness ;-)

Lovely, yum yum, grab a plate for me!

Before you go, I have one more question for you that came to me today, as you have lived in several countries and are a mix of cultures, although I know you have a passion for Japan, I wondered what nationality do you see yourself as and what country really feels like home?

Oh wow! Haha, you had to ask probably the hardest question... ;-) I am probably what you call a 'third culture kid.'

I lived an expat life in Singapore and went to a British International School and if you'd asked me up to about thirteen, I would've resolutely said I'm a Singaporean! Singapore was home. My mum is Singaporean and I was born there, so I must be (is what I thought)! But after twelve years (the most formative years of adolescence to early twenties) in Australia I couldn't help but let those lovely ozzies influence me, however while it is a beautiful country I always wanted to leave, to see the world. It was not somewhere I saw myself settling. So I left for Japan with no real national identity or country that feels like 'home.' (That maybe why I took to Japan so quickly.)

When I first arrived in Japan, to make life easier and because I was representing Australia on the JET program, I did tell people I was Australian, but no one ever believed me... And I suppose they had good reason not to, because even though I've never lived in the States, it seems I was born with an ingrained American accent, go figure. I blame my Dad and Grandmother, who both no matter how long they lived overseas never lost their West Coast accents. Although get me tipsy and I'll slur out a lot of Ozzie twange for you ;-) While in Japan, I met a lot of Americans and after hearing my confusing 'where are you from' story and they all said you're American! There was no two ways about it for them. It was a first for me and actually quite touching.

On the other hand, when I tell Singaporeans I'm Singaporean... They either; flat out don't believe me, or ask for proof (had a lot of taxi drivers asking to see my identity card), or a few that pissed me off the most said 'well you're not really Singaporean are you.' It's been a slow process but being back here for the last five years has solidified it, I've completely lost my affinity to Singapore :-( Don't get me wrong it is a wonderful place but for me personally, it's hard to feel connected to a country whose people reject you because you don't look and sound like them.

Right now, I suppose I identify more with America (my dad's home country), although I can't really call it home yet. Hopefully sometime very soon my hubby and I will move there, my eldest sister who lives in San Diego is eagerly awaiting us. So maybe in a few years I'll be able to answer... The US feels like home, fingers crossed.

Well until you get there, you won't be able to discover if it feels like home; but with family there already to welcome you, I am sure you won't take long to become acclimatised and with a ready made American accent, you are half-way there!

So that's all my questions wrapped up for now Maya, so do you have time for another drink and space for another cake? It's been great talking to you.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, it's been great chatting to you and I am sure we will talk soon.

Reply: I always have time for another slice of pumpkin pie ;-) and why not add another glass of Champers too, it's the season to be merry after all. It's been really fantastic chatting. Thank you so much for having me and hope you have a great festive season!

Absolutely, count me in, Chink, chink.

Kimberley S B Lieb

Please do drop Maya Mokbook and wrightstory (that's me :-)) and let us know if you enjoyed the interview and if you haven't read Maya's books yet, do you now feel tempted?

Do try and support writers on Wattpad by remembering to vote for the stories you like and giving feedback in constructive comments and/or encouraging words. It really helps people to grow as a writer, as feedback is key to learning what people like and don't like. Sometimes just a couple of words saying you enjoyed what was written, spurs someone on to keep going.

Information and Stats:

https://img.wattpad.com/useravatar/mokbook.128.773418.jpg

https://www.wattpad.com/story/45165721-cardinal-sky

#29 in Science Fiction 21/12/2016

Earth has fallen and chaos spread like a plague. For nineteen year old Sky, surviving the end of the world is tougher for her than most. Why? Because by some freak genetic lottery she resembles the alien invaders. After fleeing the lawless cities she finds refuge with a nomad community, hidden deep in the forest. Life is restful, peaceful until he arrives.

Ryan, a man who could be her twin appears under the most mysterious circumstances. He claims to be a rebel from the East on a secret mission that could lead to freedom, but he is not alone. They are hunting him and anyone near him becomes a target.

Forced together to survive, they flee vicious attacks and set out across gang-ruled and infected territories, to find her Brother, a Commander in the Western Liberators. As secrets unravel between them, Sky will discover he is not the savior they imagined and some knowledge is better left unknown because the truth will derail all she believes.

An action-packed adventure in a future where survival is everything.

On Christmas eve, an explosion on the moon sets off a chain of events that alters the world. Everyone thought it was a freak accident, an asteroid NASA missed, no one considered it was an omen of things to come.

Like everyone else, nine year old Sky marvels at the sight trailing across the sky. She's smart enough to question the newscasters and scientists assurances on TV and when the first spaceship appears she knows, all is not well.

Everything is changing and with her Father missing it's up to Sky to protect her Mother and little brother. The world collapses around them and she will do anything to protect her family from the horrors raining down from the skies, but it's the people on the ground she should be worried about. An infection spreads across the lands transforming humans into crazed infallible beings. And just when she thinks they're safe, her brother is captured by a lawless gang. To save him, Sky will need to risk her very humanity.

The Prequel to Cardinal Sky.

The red ships are coming!

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

12.6K 3K 20
"හරි නරකයි ඔහෙ මට ඉන්න දෙන්නැ ඉහි..ඉහි ,අනික මන් ඔහෙගෙ නමවත් දන්නෑ" යෙහස් බිම බලාගෙන කිව්වා.. "මගෙ නම විහංඟ , විහංඟ ප්‍රභාෂ්වර රත්නායක ....කවුරැහරි උ...
768K 15.5K 111
Yaszy Romano has been through so much pain and suffering her entire life but it makes her who she is. Dark Angel...Dangerous, Powerful. An Assassin...
8K 820 12
" ඇයි අයියෙ ඔයා කොයි වෙලෙත් මාව සුදු අරලිය මලකට සමාන කරන්නෙ.." මං අයියගෙ මූන දිහා බලන් අහනකොට එයා මගෙ ඇස් දෙක දිහා බැලුවා.. මගෙ අයියගෙ මූනෙ ඇඳිලා තිබ...
94.9K 2.5K 43
Four boys start their college journey at Washington University. Neo knew it would be a challenge, but he thought college would be the problem, not th...