Coach's Number One

By LaurenJ22

#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult Unwelcoming teammates. A more-than-friendly swim coach. A swim captain who w... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Harvey & Grace ღღღ
MERRY CHRISTMAS! πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Ashton & Grace ღღღ
Chapter Nineteen
Hayden & Grace ღღღ
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Trailer
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
The Choice: Reader Survey
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
BAD LIAR
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two (FINAL CHAPTER)
Epilogue
Shay... I mean slay πŸ™ŒπŸΌ
Darker Than Sin πŸ–€
Coach's Number One: An Interactive Reading Game
Love in the Deep End is LIVE on Chapters Interactive!

Chapter Sixteen

197K 7.5K 3.8K
By LaurenJ22

----------------

Dedication: __mayhem__ for the amazing cover! It's so gorgeous!

Recap:

"I'll go get you some," he offered, springing to his feet.

He was back within moments and I skulled a glass. I let out a sigh, reclining back.

"Much better."

It was a different vibe to a few moments ago, much to my relief. He laid down beside me and I slithered across and pressed my head onto his chest. His arm snaked around my waist and I let my eyes drift close.

It took only seconds and I was asleep.

-----------------

Wherever I am, it is way too bright.

Squinting, I peer through my eyelids to discover I am in my room and had forgotten to draw the curtains. Groaning, I flop back down onto the pillow and wince.

My face hurts. Why does my face hurt?

As my body slowly begins to gain proper function, I soon realise, my stomach is churning and my head throbbing. I do not feel good...

My mouth waters. I reel into sitting position and hastily search my room, to find that I am by myself.

Didn't Harvey stay with me last night?

Before I can ponder that thought, I am running to the bathroom. I barely make it in time, before I throw up. My body trembles as I grip the sink basin.

Why did I think tequila shots were a good idea?

Wiping my mouth with the back of my hand, I stand, stumbling back slightly. I edge into the shower cubicle, my movements slow. I let out a sigh as the cold water runs down my skin.

As I lean against the glass pane, I think back to last night. I shouldn't have kissed Harvey again-I didn't want to lead him on. I was drunk and he was being so sweet... I let myself enjoy being with him.

He is my best friend. What was I thinking?

Were things going to be awkward between us now? I'm never going to forgive myself if things aren't the same as they were.

I am still hung up on Ashton. It wasn't fair of me to attempt to 'move on', with Harvey. 

With a sigh, I exit the shower and towel off, my mind stuck on a nauseating replay of last night.

I throw on a pair of denim shorts and a daisy-print shirt, leaving my wet hair hanging down my shoulders. I brace myself as I descend the stairs. I'm not sure if Harvey is going to be down there or not.

As I enter the kitchen, being lead there by the smell of food, I didn't expect to see Harvey and my mother, eating breakfast together. My heart jerks in my chest and I pause, taking in the scene before me.

Harvey is dressed in a different outfit to last night. He now wears a pair of plain shorts and a Lord of the Rings shirt. I shake my head at him, reading the quote: "Not all who wander, are lost," which is printed on the left side of his chest.

My mother is still dressed in her work uniform, her hair piled into a messy bun on the top of her head. A steaming cup of coffee is planted in her hands as they spoke. They haven't even realised I'm here.

Harvey is chomping on a piece of toast whilst my mother's plate is empty. I'm not sure what would have been on it-I can't remember the last time we ate breakfast together.

"This is not what I expected to see on a Sunday morning," I announce, walking past the table and filling a glass of water.

"Good morning, daughter," my mother greets, her voice slightly deeper than usual, sounding hoarse. "How are you feeling?"

"Not the best," I admit, downing the glass before refilling it.

I sit down beside Harvey. My mother looks exhausted. She has deep, circles underneath her eyes. Her lips are chapped and her skin dry. It is noticeable that she neglected her appearance and frankly, her health.

"You have a bruise on your forehead," she comments, her eyes never leaving my face as she studies me.

"Yeah, it hurts."

"How about now?" she asks, leaning over and prodding my forehead.

"Ow!" I exclaim, slapping her hand away.

She chuckles, taking a sip of her coffee.

I glance at Harvey and he is staring down the table, drawing something with his finger. I internally groan.

I am so stupid. Things are going to be weird now.

"So," she said, looking between the two of us. "You often invite boys over to stay the night?"

"Harvey is my best friend," I say without thinking, rolling my eyes. "You don't have to be worried."

It was so automatic to say that. I pause, the moment the words flew from my mouth. That was a lie, considering what happened last night.

"Uh huh," she hums, her eyes glancing at Harvey. My stomach plummets. Did he say something to her about last night? Oh God, what have I done? "Anyone else I should know about?"

I cock my head to the side. How much has Harvey told my mother?

"Nope," I reply breezily.

"Right," she counters, looking unconvinced. I want to glare at Harvey, but I control myself. "How is school?"

"It's okay."

"How's your swimming?"

"Good," I say, an automatic smile coming onto my face. "My times are really good." Despite what Ashton (jerk-face, as I like to call him in my head), says. "I've been working myself pretty hard."

"Make sure you keep eating healthy," she says, slipping into Doctor mode.

I roll my eyes. "You sound like my Coach."

Harvey clears his throat and takes a drink of his juice. I glance at him with a frown.

Traitor.

"So, what brings you here?" I ask her.

"To my house?" she asks sarcastically.

"It's more my house."

She ignores my comment. "I have the day off."

"Oh really?"

"Well, they sent me home," she admits, a look of frustration falling across her face. "They said I've worked too many hours and that it's 'dangerous' for me to perform surgeries in this state."

"Probably have a point there."

She sighs wearily, looking older than she really is. "I am very tired."

"Why don't you go have a sleep?" I suggest, leaning back in my chair. "I might go for a walk or go for a swim at the beach. You can have the house to yourself for a while."

"Sleep sounds good."

She stretches to her feet, fighting off a yawn. "It was night to meet you, Harry."

"It's Harvey, mum," I groan. "Go to bed, you're just embarrassing me now."

She let out a tired laugh, rubbing her face. "Sorry Harvey."

"Nice to meet you, as well," Harvey smiles politely, also getting to his feet.

She walks from the kitchen. After hearing her bedroom door shut, I whirl around to Harvey and slap his chest.

"Ow!" he whines, throwing his hands out the shield himself from my next hit.

"What did you tell her?" I hiss with a frown.

"Nothing!" he exclaims. "Nothing, stop!"

"Then why did she act like she knew something?"

"She kept asking me questions... I tried to avoid them and I kept asking about doctor stuff, but she wanted to know things!"

"Like what?"

"Like who you're seeing!"

"What did you say?"

"I said there was this guy, but you were really private about it," he said and ducked his head, thinking I was going to smack him again. "I said I wasn't sure if you were still seeing him or not."

"Ashton?" I ask, planting my hands on my hips.

"You did stay at his house," he argues.

"I'm not seeing him."

"Good! That would be bad, if you were," he says with accusation in his voice, frowning at me.

I knew he would take that angle, which is why I never told him any intimate details about us in the first place. I guess I made the right decision.

I'm so glad he didn't say anything about us last night. Imagine if he thought we were now seeing each other. That would have been so awkward.

"Don't start," I warn, poking my finger at him.

"There are other people more your age," he mumbles. "And more suitable to you. Like other students."

"Like who? Huh?"

"Me," he states simply.

My heart clenches and I take step back from him.

Oh God...

"I'm just saying," he mutters, with a shrug. "Don't peg him to be the best thing for you, just because he's 'hot' and older or whatever. There are other people in your life, who can treat you better."

My heart aches as I stare at him. I knew it. That stupid kiss, or several kisses, meant more to him than they did to me. Of course it did-he has never been with someone before. I have. It wasn't a big deal to me.

"Harvey..." I say slowly, biting my lip.

"You don't have to say anything," he quickly interjects, running a hand through his hair, a flush creeping up his neck. "Just think about it."

"You're my best friend," I whisper. "I can't think about you being anything more."

A look of hurt flashes across his face and I immediately regret my words. His lips part for a moment, before they spread into a thin line.

"Right. Of course not."

"Harvey," I reach for him and he shakes my hand off.

"I'm going to go. I have stuff to do at home. See ya."

"Harvey," I call after him as he took off from the kitchen. "Don't, please."

With his back to me, he continues to stride to the door.

"See you at school, Grace."

Tears burn at my eyes as the door slams behind him.

I really screwed things up.

***

After laying on my bed for a few hours, regretting many things about this morning and last night, I decide that wallowing in self-pity isn't going to achieve anything.

After calling and texting Harvey multiple times, it is evident he doesn't want to talk to me. I contemplate going to his house, but decide against it. His ego is bruised and his feelings hurt. I have to give him time to mend.

Not feeling so hungover now, I change into my bikini and throw my shorts back on. After placing a water bottle, cut up watermelon in a container and a towel into my back pack, I swing it over my shoulder. I shove my cap over my head and fetch my skate board.

Shutting the front door softly behind me, I skip down the steps and jump onto my board. I propel myself forward and sigh with bliss as the wind hits my face. For years I have used my skate board as my main transportation. I haven't done it for a while. I didn't realise how much I missed skating.

I was surprised to see so many people from school down town. Most were with their family or friends, getting food or shopping. I skated through town, attempting to avoid most people. It's not like I am friends with them, anyway.

Sweat beads across my forehead and gather at the back of my neck, as I march down the sand, juggling holding my skateboard, while my bag is weighing me down. I withdraw my towel and collapse onto it.

My skin is warm as the sun rays hit my body. I tilt my head back, enjoying the sun kissing my skin.

The sounds of the waves crashing and the seagulls chirping in the distance, makes me significantly more relaxed than I was before. I feel my tense muscles ease and my reeling my mind settle. In this moment, I forget about my argument with Harvey and the weird situation we are in.

I enjoy being by myself, surrounded by the beautiful beach. Reaching into my bag, I pull out my watermelon and begin to nibble at it, watching the others on the beach. There are a few people sun bathing. Most were in little clusters, playing in the water.

(This is a photo of one of the beaches in Byron Bay, a popular tourist destination in Australia. This story is based around a town similar to Byron Bay.)

I smile as I stare at a child, no older than two years old, watch the water splash over his feet. He let out a cry of joy, clapping his hands, completely amazed at the scene before him. I watch as his father scoops him up into his hands, burying him into his chest.

My heart hurts as I watch the scene. My eyes burn with unshed tears as I think back to my own father. He was taken from me far too soon. I didn't get enough beach days with him. I didn't get enough time at all with him.

I clear my throat, wiping at my eyes. I didn't expect to cry when I came here. With a sigh, I jam my container back into my bag and stand, brushing the sand off me.

I jog into the water, loving the the feel of the cold. I dive under a wave and emerge, tasting the salt on my lips. I smooth my hair back and stare up at the sky.

Blinking furiously, I refuse to let myself get upset. In attempt to keep myself distracted, I continued to splash around and dive under waves.

After about half an hour of swimming, I retire back to the sand. As I make my way back to my bag, I notice someone sitting on my towel. My heart beats faster as I think it may be Harvey. As I get closer, I am surprised to see Leisel sitting there, eating the last few bits of my watermelon.

"I hope you don't mind," she smiles, gesturing to the watermelon. "It looked really good."

I fake gasp. "How dare you?"

"I'm sorry," she says back sarcastically.

"Should be," I tease. I wipe the excess water off my face and stare down at her. "What's up?"

"I have a problem."

"And what's that?"

"We all thought it would be fun to play volleyball."

"Who's we?"

She points down the beach and I notice that the Elite group were there, setting up a volleyball net. I quirk my eyebrow. I love beach volleyball.

"What's the problem?"

"We're uneven," she smirks, tucking a loose tendril of her hair behind her ear. She is a tall girl. She has soft, pale skin and strikingly dark hair, with pretty, faded freckles dusted across her nose.

"Oh really?" I ask.

"Yeah..." she sighs. "If only there was someone else that would come and play."

"We both know that's not going to happen."

"Why not?"

"Um, they hate me?" I state but it comes out more of a question.

"Hate schmate."

"What?"

She laughs, getting to her feet. "Come on, it'll be fun. You promised me we would hang out at the beach."

I cock my head to the side. "I don't remember the promise part of that."

She shrug. "Okay, maybe you didn't, but now's your chance."

"Mia isn't going to let me come hang out," I tell her, shaking my head. "Honestly, I don't really want to deal with her bullshit today. She graffited my garage door, I don't want to hang around people like that."

"Look, we didn't know they were going to do that until it happened. It was only Mia and Mike, not the whole group. You were the one who suggested we put everything behind us and move forward, right?" I frown at her, folding my arms across my chest. So it was Mia and Mike. I should have guessed she wouldn't do it alone. "Come on, it'll be fun," she pleads, giving me her best puppy-dog-eye expression.

I groan and wring out my hair. She grins.

"I'll go tell them."

She jogs down the beach and I sigh. I slip my shorts back on and pat-dried myself. As she speaks to them, their heads swivel my way. I can see Mia shaking her head, her hands planted on her hips. I grin to myself. She is so predictable. I take a long swig of my water, ready to pack up, when a breathless Leisel re-joined me.

"You coming or what?"

I choke on my water.

"They agreed?"

"We overruled her," she smirks. "Come on, now you have no excuse."

"Fine," I concede, a small smile tugging on my lips. I was embarrassed to admit that it was cool that they let me join.

Following her over to the group, I offer a small wave of greeting. In the group, stood Leisel, Hayden, Mia, Mike, David, Ryan (I guy I hadn't really met but Harvey told me he was a play boy and to stay away from him) and Claire, a girl I recognised from Leisel's party.

"Sup," Mike says, earning himself a jab in the ribs from Mia. I narrow my eyes at him and don't reply. I'm not going to make pleasant small talk with one of the vandals. I am going to beat his ass the best way I knew how-swim better, train harder.

"Ow," I hear him mutter as we begin to peel off into groups.

Me, Leisel, David and Ryan were versing Hayden, Mia, Mike and Claire. I'm glad I wasn't on Mike or Mia's team. It could have ended in punches and I don't mean us punching the ball over the net.

"Welcome to the Elite, baby," Ryan winks at me as he saunters past.

I don't reply to the comment. I throw my hair into a high pony tail as we all make our way into our places.

"Let the game begin," Mike announce, before spiking the ball over the net.

It launches straight at Leisel, who is talking to David. There is a slight thud as it hits the sand.

"Leisel!" Ryan snaps. "Pay attention!"

"Sorry," she says, not taking this game seriously at all. "My bad, guys."

I watch Hayden as he stands there, his arms folded. He stares back at me. I try my hardest to read his expression, but it is too difficult. He is a blank canvas. I desperately want to go talk to him, but I fight the urge. I have a feeling he is pissed at me. I end up behaving exactly how he didn't want me to last night. Alcohol made me reckless.

Soon, it is Hayden's turn to serve. I knew where it was going, even before he hit it. I surge forward and hit it back. Without hesitation, he hit it back to me. It continued like that for a few goes, before I hit it and Mike got it. It bounced back and forth between players, until Hayden sprinted to the net and belted the ball.

I dived to the ground and just got it the last second.

My skin burned as I slid against the hot sand. It sprayed onto my face, but it was worth it. Hayden smacked it back, before Ryan hit it back over the net and it landed next to Mia, who was too busy glaring at me, to pay attention.

I smirk to myself. I was winning this battle. I was befriending her group. The harder she tries to squash me down into the ground, the faster I will rise to take her on.

"Nice save," Ryan comments as I lay there, breathless. He extends his hand to me and I haul myself to my feet, wiping the sand from me.

"You two are so competitive," Leisel observes with a head shake, staring between Hayden and myself. "You're like children.

"He started it-"

"She started it-" we chorus simultaneously.

Leisel snorts with laughter, and we glare harder at each other.

"Let's take a break," she calls, wiping sweat from her face and making a time-out signal with her hands. "Who wants to come for a swim?"

"Last one in has to buy the group the first round of drinks at Mickey's!" Mike yells, before tearing down the beach.

Mickey's is a small beach shack in town. The front door is shaped like a surf board and so are the tables you eat on. Surrounding the board-like tables are red leather, vintage seats. The creaky floorboards are littered with sand. They serve slushies, soft drinks and food such as hot chips and burgers. Basically, the perfect place to go after the beach.

Everyone began to follow and I sprint as fast as I can. I overtook Mia, Leisel, Clare and David with ease. Ryan hadn't even started running when I did, so it was down to Mike, Hayden and myself. Mike had a massive head start, so he was going to win.

Hayden and I become neck and neck.

I jump over the waves, trying to get my full body under water before he did. I trip over my own feet and face plant into the water. I laugh so hard that water came out of my nose when I emerged. Even Hayden is chuckling.

"Children, honestly," Leisel laughs, jogging in behind us.

Ryan came last.

"Well, this sucks," he states.

"Should have tried harder," Mia says snippily.

"Oh really?" he replies.

"Yeah."

He suddenly grabs her and flips her upside down. She screams loudly and I wince, the sound harsh on my ears.

"Want to change your attitude now?"

"Put me down!" she squeals, sounding like a two-year-old.

"Okay," he shrugs and let her go.

She landed with a splash in the water and I was laughing so hard, my sides were aching. I double over, almost wheezing from laughing too hard. Her face is hilarious. This Ryan guy just went up in my books. Anyone that manhandles Mia, earns respect from me.

We all laugh as she splutters. Her cheeks are dark red. She soon begins laughing herself and I stare at her in surprise. The She-Devil can laugh. That was something I didn't know.

Is it weird that I'm not having a horrible time with these people? Who knew the Elite group could actually be fun?

After playing around in the water for a while, we head back up to the beach. 

"Thanks for making me hang out with you," I say to Leisel. "That was actually pretty fun."

"I knew it would be," she grins. "Want to come get a bite to eat?"

"Ah, I better not overstay my welcome," I say to her, yanking my hair out of my pony tail, letting it cascade down my back. "Besides, my mum is home and I never get to see her."

"Okay, fair enough," she replies. "See you tomorrow."

"See you," I say as she walks back to the group. "Bye guys!"

Ryan, Claire and Mike said bye. I wait, for a moment, for Hayden to look at me, but he doesn't. I sigh, turning from him.

He is a complete puzzle to me. Whenever I think I can put one bit together, it seems I'm more lost than I was to begin with.

As I skate home, I feel my body ache with drowsiness. I am going to sleep well tonight.

Stifling a yawn, I stroll into the kitchen. Mum is standing there, cooking. She is cooking us kebabs and steamed vegetables. My mouth waters at the smell of it. It is so nice to come home to my mother cooking dinner.

"Hi honey," she greets, shooting a smile over her shoulder. "How was your afternoon?"

I walk over to her and wrap my arms around her. I place my chin on the top of her left shoulder.

"I miss you."

She turns, pressing her palms to my cheeks. "I'm sorry that I'm never home and I'm sorry that when I'm home, I'm tired."

"I get it, your job is demanding."

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

She pulls me into her arms and I bury my face into her chest.

Turns out, this was a day filled with surprises.

--------------------------

What do you think about the argument between her and Harvey? Do you think he will get over the fact that she doesn't feel the same way or will their friendship never be the same?

And what do you think about her spending time with the Elite group? Anyone surprised that she got along with them?

I hope you liked seeing a bit more of Vera Connaway, Grace's mother!

***

My completed stories (as of January 2017):

-The Best Thing For Me

-Downright Delinquents

-Childhood Sweethearts

My on-going stories (as of January 2017):

-Faithless

-Chasing Casey

-Coach's Number One (This is my favourite <3)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

298K 14.8K 57
[FREE STORY w/ bonus paid chapters] When college student Ever almost drowns at a party, she turns to the Calbear's cocky swim captain for help - an a...
607K 8.6K 27
The funny, steal your heart breakout story about a cheerleader, a sexy football player, and the chaos of trying not to fall in love.
8.3K 1.3K 17
When you're broken, lost and got nothing left to lose... you become bulletproof. Trying to fix your life back together after having it shaken upside...
107K 7.8K 79
In the day-to-day trenches of high school, it is almost the default-setting to believe we are the main character of our own coming-of-age story. Thi...