Blood Mountain (BWWM)

By Taylor324

Halia never meant to lose control. She tried to warn him. She told him she was dangerous. He hadn't listened... More

Prologue - Monsters
Surprises
Protector
Revealed
Spells
Dinner
Dessert
Recovery
Touch
Hello
Mates
First
Second
Encounter
Plans
Return
How About Now?
Hell Yes
Wolves
Visitor
Pups
Story
Why?
Bite Me
Memories
Little Wolf
Cold
Issues
Fury
Rescue
Dilemma
Update about Updates (Read me pls)

Again

2.6K 227 13
By Taylor324

It was Biron who met them at the mouth of the cave, his face comically twisted in exasperation at the two additions. "Again?" He growled in frustration but made no move to stop them from entering. "Why do you insist on bringing in strays under my watch?"

Cade shot him a stern look and shouldered past, muttering a spell to allow the kids passage through the barrier. Sahira was still unconscious and Cade shifted his grip beneath her knees to keep her from slipping loose. Jude had reluctantly yielded to his offer after nearly dropping the girl for the third time. He stuck close to Cade's side and cast an anxious glance at the older vampire staring him down. Biron's lips curled in a half snarl and the boy ducked behind Cade's bulk.

Surprisingly, it was Ray who rebuffed him. He cuffed the taller vampire on the back of the head and skipped out of reach when he whipped around to swipe at him. Biron grumbled low in his throat and smoothed a hand over the ruffled hair at his nape, eyes narrowed. "And where've you been?"

"Around." The blonde smirked at the other's keen interest in his whereabouts. "Why? Were you lonely?"

Biron grunted and turned away. "Hardly." His gaze was drawn back to the young wolves and his nose wrinkled in distaste. "Don't let me keep you."

Cade continued walking as Ray lagged behind, thoughts elsewhere. He didn't really know what he was going to say to Hizen or do with the wolves for that matter. But he couldn't have that conversation out in the open woods where anyone could find them. And turning them loose wasn't an option just yet, not before he figured out why they were here in the first place.

"Watch your step," Cade murmured to Jude, motioning toward a jagged ledge. "Stay behind me."

"Okay—" A broken yelp followed as he tripped over uneven ground and fell into Cade's back with an 'oomph'. "S-sorry."

He looked over his shoulder, mouth set in a concerned line. "It's fine. Are you alright?"

Quickly righting himself he shook dangling curls from his face and clenched his jaw, annoyed at himself. "It's... nothing."

Cade watched the wolf from the corner of his eye as they once again lapsed back into silence. He didn't expect much out of him right now. Jude was obviously scared, unsure of what was going to happen to him or his sister. Cade could only promise them so much. He would protect the children while they were there, that was guaranteed. But after everything was said and done...ultimately, he had no control over the others no matter how vehemently he would fight to keep them safe.

As they neared the yawning entry of the main cavern, a blurry form darted past the three and waved as he went. "Give me a minute to distract them, yeah?" Ray was grinning and flipped him a salute before he disappeared inside. Only moments later, a series of agitated snarls and hisses trickled into the hall as Ray's boisterous laughter echoed down another passage. Cade waited another beat until he was sure the cavern had cleared and hurriedly crossed the empty expanse, nudging Jude to match his own brisk pace. He didn't need to run into anyone with two werewolves in tow. Gods help him if anyone actually decided to start something.

The winding halls to Hizen's quarters were quiet as per usual. It wasn't odd to find the leader of the coven sequestered alone. So imagine his surprise when he pushed back the curtains of his room to discover Uric, Luke and Jean all huddled around Hizen's desk. Synchronized, they turned at his entrance and Cade felt his stomach drop. Of all the vampires to meet, these were his least favorite. And he was sure they felt likewise. Their attention zeroed in on the young wolves and it was only Hizen clearing his throat that shifted their predatory focus.

"Leave us. You'll do as I asked?"

They rumbled in assent and stalked from the room, barely restraining themselves from commenting as they skirted around Cade and the weres. It would be reckless on their part to pick a fight with the leader's son right in front of said man. Uric couldn't stop himself from hissing at the boy in passing, tipped fangs on clear display. He smirked in satisfaction when Jude shrank in fear, trembling. The vampire didn't count on Cade snarling right back.

A ferocious growl peeled his lips away from threatening canines and he glowered, violence churning behind the emerald glow of his irises. "Try it. It'll be the last thing you do." His voice was a roll of thunder in the near silence. He said he would protect them. And he was a man of his morals.

Uric opened his mouth to respond, scowling just as dangerously, and Hizen boomed impatiently from behind his desk. "Go." Jude flinched behind Cade, hands instinctively grasping his coattails for comfort. They were gone in the next instant, not stupid enough to test the patience of the much older, stronger vampire.

Hizen stood from his desk in a single fluid motion and prowled closer to the trio, arms outstretched as he made a grabbing motion. "Give her to me."

Cade took a quick step back as his gut clenched, eyeing him warily. "Why?"

His father clicked his tongue in annoyance and stepped in to bodily scoop the girl into his arms. Cade protested sharply at the same time Jude whimpered and the older man rolled his eyes. "Hush. She's not going anywhere." He plopped her onto his bed not unkindly but... He tilted her head to rest more comfortably atop the pillows and hummed to himself in agreement. Then on second thought, grasped her wrist to bring the scent of her blood to his nostrils—

"Father!" Cade hissed sharply, eyes wide. "What are you doing?" He really didn't like the thought of having to fight off Hizen of all people. As if their family wasn't dysfunctional enough.

Jude was across the room before Cade could move to stop him, much faster than anticipated for a boy who was clearly unwell. Umber eyes bored into blue as Jude shoved his way between the vampire and his sister, bristling in preparation for whatever might happen.

"L-leave her alone." Jude's voice caught as he stared up at the much taller man. He had no false impressions of what he was. This vampire could easily kill him. His instincts screamed it.

Hizen cocked his head at the child and let the girl's arm drop unceremoniously to the bed, a small grin fixed on his face. Cade deflated at the sight and pushed a hand to his temple. Good. It looked like he didn't have to get his ass beat after all.

"Sorry." Hizen shrugged and strolled away from the bed to put distance between himself and the little spitfire wolf. There was no need to unnecessarily rile him. He wasn't that mean. "I was curious."

Cade blew out a frustrated breath. "Don't do shi—" His gaze flicked to the were and he amended. "Don't do things like that. I almost fought you."

An unabashed bark of laughter burst from his lips and his eyes crinkled in mirth. "You're always welcome to try. We haven't sparred for quite some time."

"Yeah, no. I'll pass." He huffed under his breath and called to Jude. "Hey, it's okay. He won't do anything creepy. I promise."

Jude relaxed slightly and sat beside his sister, arms braced protectively around her. "He already did." The boy seemed to forget himself for a second, the response blurted out before he could really think about it. He went stiff in dread, imaging his death—

Hizen snorted another laugh. "I said 'sorry'. I was just testing—"

"Father. Shut up." Cade growled in warning and the vampire swung his gaze on the younger.

Still grinning, he waved a hand through the air. "Shutting up."

For the situation, the man was in an oddly good mood. Cade didn't like it. His brows creased as he leaned forward to peer at him. "Did something happen? I mean besides this. You're acting...strange."

Hizen crossed his arms and pressed a hip to the wooden surface of his desk, languid pose belying the ferocity of his true nature. He shrugged again. "No. Care to explain 'this'?"

Cade looked over at Jude and a kind smile tipped the corners of his mouth. "You're safe here, Jude. We won't let them hurt you. Can you tell us your story?"

The wolf glanced between the two men then down at his sister and eventually nodded. "Okay."

******************

I keep saying this like every chapter but thank you for the support! I never take my readers for granted. I appreciate all of you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96.1K 3.1K 51
Rosalie Brookwood , Queen of all wolves and magical creatures Born in the Medieval time era . Half Werewolf ,Half Vampire. Her mother died in a ro...
171K 9.6K 74
I struggled against the chains, ignoring the smell of my burning flesh. Crimson glanced at me and she had a lazy grin on her face. "Why are you smil...
767K 20.5K 37
#7 in vampire #1 in queen The world has gotten boring to him after living for many centuries, through many generations. He thought of it as a curse...
52.8K 1.7K 29
This story is not about rejection or my pack beause I would have had to know about werewolves before I fell in love with one. With a family cabin al...