How to Punch Soren McKinin | ✓

By Chatachino

Soren McKinin; the disappointment of the family, the child his parents wished did not belong to them, the typ... More

The tattoo
C A S T
1. the unanswered conundrum
2. treasured silence
3. lions and tigers and bears, oh my
4. the pursuit of happiness
5. willingly drowning
6. lifeline
7. to be king
8. bonding over mangos
9. slow beating hearts
10. a dying love for food
11. the four deadly brothers
12. warmth of her
13. his death kept him alive
Authors Note
14. smoking to die or smoking to breathe?
15. respectful conversations
16. to be or not to be
17. a game, winner takes all
18. protect your blood
19. wet sneezes
20. diaphragms
21. closed off
22. the art of giving up
23. baby steps
24. food fights and flowers
25. unwanted
26. recreating her image
27. tattoo's and regrets
28. burnt tears
29. to dance is to fly
30. fresh bullets
31. his reasons
33. money, money, money
34. footprints
35. finding his reason to live
36. blacks and blondes
37. the inevitable ending
38. duck analogies
39. the misconception of happiness
40. following tides
41. Bricks (part 1)
42. Bricks (Part 2)
43. Traditions and Pancakes
44. White lies
45. A candle in the wind
Being published
46. HeartBeats
BONUS
Book 2: COLIN MCKININ
NEENA EELANTE
WE ARE SORENNN FLYINNN
Sneak peak of Soren McKinin in the flesh! | sold out

32. the heartless and the mindless

210K 11.2K 4.3K
By Chatachino

This amazing person __unicornprincess__  made How To Punch Soren McKinin a trailer! I can't thank her enough, go check it out :)

J A Y

It was warm in the cafe, wind billows the trees taking the last of dead autumn leaves.

I walked across the room and placed the change for the coffee and biscuits in front of the aging women, I didn't hear her say thank you as my mind tugged on other thoughts.

I couldn't help but think of the day before. Soren had just stood there, a gun pointed at his head. Not blinking, as calmly as if he was greeting an old friend.

As horrible as it sounds, I do not think that was the first time he had a gun to his head.

The old lady took ahold of my wrist as I gripped her empty coffee mug, "It's nice to see young folk working after school, everyone at your age seems to be looking down at those silly phones." I smiled kindly as I took the dishes out of site.

Soren had just stood there, his breathing at an even pace. He wasn't afraid of death, as I shamelessly cowered behind him.

Caleb rolled his shoulders as if they were sore while we stood next to each other. I'd grown to like my co worker, even though he was late most days and his sarcastic tone pitched a nerve. Yet, he never ceased to make me smile.

"That damn old lady won't leave, we could've closed half an hour ago." He whined as I gave the dirty coffee mud to the chef, who passed it to the bus boy, "She doesn't even use our free internet! She just sits at that same damn chair and stares out that same window, watching people walk past."

My gaze fell upon her. She stood gingerly, her chair scraping against the wooden floor. She picked up her purse, smiled at me softly before shuffling out of the café. I watched in horror as she turned the corner only to be pushed to the ground heavily as Soren came into view, the old lady lay in the snow.

My legs stiff, I ran to the door as the puffing big pulled the flustered lady to her feet, catching his words as I opened the door, "Shit, sorry. There's ice—did you break anything?—back there on the pavement."

She fixed her hat, "No, no. I think I'm alright."
Soren put a hand through his hair before rubbing the back of neck, "I'd drive you home in this weather but I lost my licence due to taking illegal drugs—wait! I'm not a drug addict--" she took her bag and whacked him over the head.

Soren grumbled sorry and cursed as the lady shuffled off.

He turned to me flustered, "See, this is exactly why I hate winter."

"You getting hit over the head by an old lady in winter is an usual event?" I grinned at him, watching a scowl form over his lips as he stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"I was running, not my fault." He took a deep deep breath, "Red got caught with Sandra. He's leaving, I thought you should know."

Swallowing the lump in my throat, "Leaving as in—"

He interrupted, "Leaving as in he's moving out. Apparently his plan is to move into a dorm in his college, Sandra lives thirty or so minutes away."

"How did your dad react...? Is Red alright?" My voice sounded weak, hoarse, everything  seemed dull and fragile today.

Soren paused, looking at me with a fixated gaze before continuing slowly, "There was a lot of yelling, heard glass smashing but no one got hurt." He turned his head to one side, "Did you—are you sick?"

I smiled softly, "I'm fine, just a cold. I usually get all stuffy in weather."

"The dance is in three days, you can't be getting sick." Soren looked at me worriedly, a crease burrowing between his eyebrows.

"How can you even think of the dance when your brother doesn't have a job and is getting kicked out?" His faint smile disappeared instantly.

"He can't live with us anymore but they're still paying for his fees. My mother isn't that cruel."

-

Soren and I walked along the snowy road, towards the hospital that I could probably find with my eyes closed. I was off work early today due to the rough weather and the closeness of Christmas, practically no one was at the café, because being surrounded by family and friends was more appealing. Soren took this as his chance for us to visit my mother.

"How is your mother by the way?" I asked, watching Soren pull his hood over his beanie covered head, "Is your dad still... You know, hitting her?"

"I don't know," he stated bluntly before shrugging, "I haven't noticed anything, per say. I haven't really been lookin' either."

That was lie and we both knew it. Soren cared for his mom when it came to her well-being, how? I do not know. You'd think he'd hate her after discarding Precious. Two sides to every story?

"This is the first time you're seeing your mom in weeks?" He questioned trying to change the subject, his nose pink and cheeks flushed due to the weather.

"Yep," I stuffed my hands in my pockets, closing my body language on the topic. He didn't push the subject and it wasn't until we finally reached the front desk of the psychiatric hospital that things felt unbearably uncomfortable.

"Hello Jay, I haven't seen you in awhile. Here to see Lily Whiley?" Gabby asked, a botox lady whose face was so frozen she couldn't raise her eyebrows.

I nodded, she glanced at Soren handing him forms that he'd need to complete. I sat with him in the waiting area.

"She's not dangerous?" He asked, scribbling on the white sheets of paper without looking up, "No offense or anything."

"No, she's not." Keeping my voice even I explained, "She's located in the sector of the  hospital that patients are mentally capable of being physically interacted with," Soren handed the papers back to Gabby who gave him a visitor name tag.

We were led down the same corridor that I knew well, through a white door that was locked, only to be opened by card recognition. I didn't glance around the room, I knew exactly where she'd be sitting.

The window shone soft beams of light onto her lap, her back snuggled into the crease of the chair. Looking perfectly normal besides the fact she'd probably sat in that same position for hours.

Soren and I sat across from her, "Hi... Mom."

No answer. She rocked slightly, blinking.

Her fair skin was spotty, black hair splitting at the ends as her plump lips looked thin, cracked.

The whole thing felt almost stupid, as if I was talking to myself. Trying to think, 'No, this my mom. I'm still talking to her.' The woman that I had created loving memories with.

"This is um—Soren." My voice evidently uncomfortable, wishing that I hadn't been convinced into showing Soren my secret, "He's my friend."

My throat scratchy dry, I watched her blink once and slowly, softly smile. It was a indifferent smile, she looked almost there.

Though, her dull brown eyes showed otherwise, staring hazily out the window above my head.

Soren smiled and took her hand gently, "Hello."

She didn't move for a moment, before I watched her fingers curl around his.

-

Thank you if you're still reading, love you so much. We reached 68k!! Isn't that amazing?

I am very humbled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15M 587K 78
(Complete) After Seren is assaulted by someone in her friend group, she begins to fall deeper into the depths of her depression. No one seems to noti...
106K 7.8K 79
In the day-to-day trenches of high school, it is almost the default-setting to believe we are the main character of our own coming-of-age story. Thi...
708K 16.9K 42
"This is a story about our love. An intoxicating, fast-paced love that didn't think of time as a source of measurement over the course of a summer th...
1.3M 44.5K 70
Reillyn Cole had experienced it all. Grief. Pain. Heartbreak. And yet, still, the cruel world continued to throw hurdles in her unendingly winding...