Crush, No, Crushed

By monkeybaby7

Love confessions change everything. But not with Ruth and her best friend, Les. When Ruth finally plucks up t... More

Crush, No, Crushed
chapter 2
Chapter 3
chapter 4
Chapter 5
chapter 6(part one)
chapter 6(part two)
chapter 7( rly short but i'll add more later)
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13(wow already? yay!)
chapter 14
chapter 15
Chapter 16 (part 1)
chapter 16 (part 2)
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
teaser :p
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28 (part 1)
Chapter 28 (part 2)
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31(part 1)
Chapter 31 (part 2)
Chapter 32
Chapter 33 part 1
Chapter 33 Part 2
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 part 1
Chapter 36 part 2
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40 part 1
Chapter 40 part 2
Chapter 40 part 3
Alternate Ending part 1
Alternate Ending part 2

Epilogue

48.4K 923 210
By monkeybaby7

Hey so this is it. No more Ruth, Les or Nate after this. Such a bitter sweet moment. But all good things must come to an end. Thank you so much for sticking with my story this long. I can't really believe how much support I have gotten on it but I really appreciate it.

I hope you like it,  I've never written an epilogue before so I don't know how long they are supposed to be. It kind of feels like another chapter to me but there was just so much that I wanted to put in.

Anyway. I have a surprise for you. Actually two. A lot of people have been requesting an alternate ending where Les doesn't die so I'm making a deal with you. If I get ove 600 votes on the epilogue, I will write an alternate ending. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. If I get over 1,000 votes, I will re-write a chapter in Les' POV plus the alternate ending. :) So vote away!

And over there you will see a few pictures and quotes of Les and Ruth.

Six years later

            “Ugh, that’s gross Benji!” Frowning at the four month old in my arms, I wiped the throw up off his face with his blue bib.

            “Gary!” I called from the living room, “Can you take Benji please?”

            A second later he came into the room holding a mug of coffee. I held back a smile when I saw the beard that he had recently grown on his face. I couldn’t help but to stare at it. It looked a little weird on him but I knew that I would get used to it.

            “Aww, did wittle Benji spit up on you?” He teased as he set down his coffee and I handed the baby off to him.

            “Yes. And now my shirt is ruined.” I sighed disappointedly as I picked up a rag off the side table and dabbed the spit off my old Beatle’s shirt.

            Giving up on the splotch, I threw the rag in the corner with the rest of the dirty laundry and sat down on the couch to watch Gary as he baby talked to Benji basically cooing like a pigeon. But I was grateful for the break, as much as I loved Benji and he was a wonderful baby, holding him for long periods of time hurt my arms.

            “Who’s a cute little baby, huh? You are that’s who.” Gary cooed tickling his stomach.

            I giggled at him and Benji as he started to make cute, little gurgling noises.

            “Playing house are we?” A voice asked from behind me.

            I turned around to see Nate standing there with a raised eyebrow, looking down at me, then back to Gary and Benji.

            I rolled my eyes, “Of course. Because we all know how much I want a baby.” I replied sarcastically.

            Gary chuckled because of how Benji just ruined my shirt. “Don’t worry you can wash it out Ruth.”

            “Give me the baby.” Nate demanded stepping forward with his arms outstretched.

            As Gary went to hand him to Nate I stopped him.

            “No what are you doing? You can’t trust Nate with Benji, he eats children!” I exclaimed with mock horror.

            Gary stopped what he was about to do and gave me a weird look but took a step away from Nate anyway.

            “What?” He queried with a perplexed expression.

            “Really, Ruthy? Really? I said that what, six years ago? Are you ever going to let that go?” Nate begged with a hint of annoyance but his lip started to curve up.

            “Never. How do I know that you weren’t kidding?” I joked standing up and walking over to him.

            “I think you should know by now that my diet consists of mostly pizza.” He reasoned stepping closer to me.

            “Hmmm.” I pretended to think, “You’re right…I suppose I would know if you were an insane psycho.”

            “Maybe when Benji’s a little older I can give him the Hansel and Gretel book.” Nate suggested smiling over at the baby in Gary’s arms.

            Shocked I asked, “You still have that?”

            “Of course, you gave it to me as a birthday present. I keep all of them that you give to me.” He shrugged as if it wasn’t a big deal.

            “Yeah, but I figured you would have gotten rid of it or something. It’s not like you read it do you?” I wondered still slightly astonished.

            “Well, no. But you still have that bracelet I gave you and you still practically wear it every day.” He pointed out nodding to my wrist where the bracelet hung.

            “Yeah but that’s different because I do use it every day. It’s not just some gag present.” I argued.

            “It’s not different,” He disagreed, “Gag present or not they both came from the heart and are reminders of how much we care for each other. I’m not just going to get rid of the memory of our almost-first kiss because it’s not something I use daily.”

            Smiling, my heart filled up happiness at his words. I leaned up to him and gave him a long kiss that sent butterflies throughout my stomach.

            “You know, you can be really sweet sometimes.” I grinned wrapping my arms around his neck to pull him closer to me.

            “I know.” He stated smiling back at me.

            I chuckled, “I love you.”

            “I love you more.”

            “No, you don’t.”

            “Y-“

            “Hey guys, stop with the mushy stuff. Benji needs to finish eating.” Gary interrupted causing us to break apart.

            “I’ll do it.” Nate volunteered eagerly.

            Since Benji had been born, Nate had really taken to him. He was always asking about him and whenever he sees him, he would be all over him. It was cute. It made my heart warm too. Nate was going to be a good father some day.

            “I’ll be right back. I’m going to change.” I told them stepping out of the living room as Gary handed Benji to Nate.

            “Okay.” He nodded distractedly before sitting down and giving Benji his bottle.

            I went upstairs to my room which was mostly empty except for my bed and a few clothes. Most of my things were at my college dorm because school just started up again. It was my senior year and things couldn’t be any better. I was majoring in business finance and had a minor in art photography in hopes to help run the gallery with Bethany one day.

            I loved college life. It was so much more freeing than being stuck in high school. Not only did you get to decide what your classes were but there was more time to actually live. You could build your time the way you wanted. I had a lot more time to get into photography. I created an extensive collection which Bethany was delighted to put some in her gallery.

             Nicole, Brad and Gary all went to the same college as me but we rarely had any classes together. Nicole is studying to be an elementary school teacher which didn’t surprise me at all. She is really good with kids and she is so kind and gentle. Brad surprisingly is going to be a teacher too, though he wants to eventually become a guidance councilor. Like me, Gary is majoring in business and has a minor in culinary arts. He plans on owning his own restaurant or catering company. We have a few classes together this year and it’s nice to have someone I can ask for notes.

            Nate had graduated last year and is about to finish his apprenticeship this fall. Since he loves building that town with his father, he decided the only logical thing for him to do is become a contractor. He is almost there and has a job lined up.

            Tomorrow is his twenty-third birthday and I still had no idea what to get him. I have always had this problem because I am terrible a giving gifts. Especially to him. I never know what to get him.

            I rummaged through the small pile of clothes in my drawer and pulled out a blue, silk blouse. I quickly change out of the Beatles shirt that Les had left me and put it on, checking my make up in the mirror. Nate and I were going to visit his dad. He has been doing a lot better the past few years but lately his health has been deteriorating. Nate and Nicole have been spending as much time as possible with him because they know he doesn’t have much longer. I’ve been going to see him a lot too because Nate wants his father to get to know me. We get along really well and I like him a lot.

            Hearing the door open downstairs and voices talking I figured that Bethany was home so I grabbed my notebook and hurried back to the living room.

            Chucking the notebook at Gary I said, “Here are the notes you wanted. I need them back before Monday.”

            “Thanks Ruth.” He said standing up, “I should be going now. I’ve got work in an hour. See you guys tomorrow? At seven right?”

            I nodded, “Yep, at the usual club.”

            “Bye.” We all chorused as Gary left.

            I glanced over at Nate who was still sitting and feeding Benji.        

            “Where’s Bethany?” I questioned about to go looking for her.

            “She went upstairs to change. She said she’ll be right back down.” He informed me.

            Bethany and Dad had been going strong the last few years. They were as still in love as the day they got married. After I graduated and moved into a dorm, they moved to a house closer to the city. I still had my own room so I had a place to stay during vacations and holidays. Renee didn’t need one because a few months after Bethany and Dad got married, she moved in with Holden. The house was a little smaller than the old one but just a beautiful. It had a nice backyard with a hot tub and a garden where Bethany liked to plant all kinds of flowers.

            When she finally came downstairs, Benji had finished eating and Nate was burping him. Lucky for him, he didn’t get spit up on.

            “Hi, Bethany.” I greeted as she came over to take Benji from Nate.

            She cuddled him to close to her and gave me a smile, “Hi sweetie.”

            Bethany never had any children of her own so when Renee told us she was pregnant; she was ecstatic and helped Renee with everything. Even if she didn’t have her own children, she was still a wonderful mother.

            “Is it okay if you watch Benji until Renee gets back from work?” I asked walking over and admiring him by running my hand softly over his little, baby, brown curls.

            “Of course!” She agreed happily, “Do you know what time she’s getting back?”

            “She said something about the case being open and shut and that they had a stack of evidence against him. So she should be back in about an hour.” I relayed the information of which I was told.

            Renee had gone on to become a lawyer, just like she dreamed. She was a good one too and the firm that took her in was sold on her immediately. Out of the cases that she has been given, she’s only lost two. Holden on the other hand didn’t have much luck. His band had to call it quits for a while because they all wanted to spend time with their girlfriends. Holden had gotten a job as a piano instructor and only recently did the band get back together. It was mostly for fun but they were as good as ever. When they had Benji a few months ago, they both took time off of work but now they had to get back to making money, leaving Benji with either me or Bethany.

            I saw Nate look at his watch and he turned to me, “We should get going. Are you ready?”

            “Yup. Thanks for watching Benji, Bethany.” I smiled giving her a hug and Benji a kiss on his head.

            Nate did the same and took my hand giving me a small kiss.

            “No problem, sweetie. Have fun and tell Rob that I said hello.”

            “Of course. Can you tell Renee to tell Holden that we are going to be at his show tomorrow?”

            “Yes, see you two later.”

             “Bye.” Nate and I called as we headed out to his car.

            “So, how is he doing?” I asked quietly as we drove towards the hospital.

            He didn’t answer right away but took a deep breath which I took as a bad sign.

            “The doctors don’t think he has much longer.” He said in a pained voice.

            My heart dropped and I put my hand on his leg in an attempt to comfort him.

            “I’m so sorry, Nate.” I hung my head sadly.

 I had grown to really like him. As much as he had some problems, when he was feeling well, he was such a sweet man, so much like his children, and so unlike his ex-wife.

Nate didn’t say anything, but put his hand on top of mine, squeezing tightly.

            When we got there, Nate and I walked in hand in hand. As soon as we got to he father’s door, I ran in and gave him a hug.

            “Hi, Robbie. How are you feeling?” I stepped back to take a look at him.

            He was sitting in a recliner chair facing the T.V. His balding, gray hair was in disarray as he never bothered to comb it. His tanned face was covered in pre-mature wrinkles but as he smiled happily at me, his Nate-like blue eyes sparkled and I didn’t notice anything else.

            He took my hand as I sat next to him, Nate walking towards us with a mix between a smile and sadness on his face.

            “I’m feelin’ like a Springer Spaniel on a summer day.” He grinned wisely.

            I chuckled, “Good to hear.”

            “How are you doing? Nathan treating you well? That boy doesn’t deserve you, ya know.” He said wagging his finger playfully at his son that just sat down next to me and put his arm around my waist.

            Smiling, Nate agreed, “I know I don’t. But I’m lucky I have her.”

            “Shut up.” I nudged him embarrassed.

            “It’s true.” He said kissing my cheek.

            I glanced over to Robbie who was giving me a knowing smile. I gave him a confused look but he just chuckled at me.

            “I’m glad you’re here, Ruthy. I don’t have much time left and I want to give you something.” He leaned over and grabbed something from the side of his chair.

            I frowned, “Don’t say that. And you don’t have to give me anything.”

            He waved his hand, “I’m not going to deny it. I know my time is almost up.”

            He handed me a large, brown case and winked, “Think of it as an early wedding gift.”

            I blushed as my eyes widened. I quickly glanced at Nate who had a look of horror on his face and red tinted cheeks of embarrassment. Or at least, I hoped that was what that look meant.

            “B-but, we’re not engaged.” I stuttered looking down at the box.

            “Not yet. You’re just going to have to promise me that there will be wedding bells in the future.”

            I didn’t know what to say so I nodded and opened the box. I gasped at what I saw.

            “It was my mother’s first Polaroid camera that she got in 1950. I know how much you love taking pictures so I want you to have it.”

            “Oh…it’s wonderful. Thank you so much. But are you sure you want me to have it?” I asked astonished, it seemed like a family antique.

            “Of course, I want to keep it in the family.” He smiled and my heart grew.

            I got up and gave him a hug, “Thank you.”

            “No problem Ruth. I just want you to be happy. I’m glad Nathan has found a girl like you.”

            “And I’m glad I found him”

~

            The next night we were all crowded at a small table at the club that Holden’s band was playing at. It was Nate’s birthday and I still didn’t know what to get him and I felt horrible.

            “Are you having fun?” I asked leaning into his ear so he could hear me over the music.

            Smiling he nodded. He was acting a little weird tonight, almost like he was nervous.

            I looked over to where Nicole and Brad were sitting and gave them a questioning look but they just gave me a smirk and continued talking to each other. Gary and his girlfriend, along with Renee were all talking and sipping their drinks. Thirsty from our earlier dancing, I took a sip of mine and watched as the band finished the song.    

            Everyone at our table cheered and whistled then the lead singer, Terence waved his hand signaling us to quiet down.

            “Our next song goes out to one of our friend’s from her boyfriend, Nate. He requested we play a song from an amazing band that we toured with a while back called All Time Low. Here’s Remembering Sunday.” He nodded for the guys to play and my favorite song started to fill my ears.

            I looked to Nate with a surprised face and he smiled at me and held out a hand to me. Slightly confused but flattered nonetheless, I took his hand and followed him back out on the dance floor. I glanced back at the table and everyone was smiling watching us as we started to dance slowly.

            “You know today is your birthday right?” I raised my eyebrow questioningly.

            “Yes I do know that.” He chuckled pulling me closer to him.

            “Then why would you request a song for me?” I wondered.

            He turned me and I caught a quick sight of Nicole and Brad kissing and I smiled. They were so cute together.

            “Because I love you.” He said simply.

            “Okay…I love you too.” I told him, not any less confused.

            He twirled me once more and I giggled at the cool wind that whipped my hair around.

            “Speaking of your birthday, is there anything at all that you want?” Time was running out and I needed to get any idea of what to get him.

            “There is only one thing I want.” He said stepping away from me taking my hand.

            All of a sudden there was a spot light on us and the music softened. He kneeled down on one knee and pulled out a small, velvet box from his pocket and held it up to me.

            My heart stopped and I looked up briefly to see a crowd of people surrounding us, including, Renee, Nicole, Brad and Gary.

            “All I want for my birthday is for you to say yes. I love you so much Ruth. You mean everything to me and there is nothing I want more in this world. Will you marry me?” He was breathing heavy staring at me intensely. My eyes locked into his as he anxiously awaited my answer.

            ~

            “Hey Les.” I greeted as I plopped down on the ground next to his head stone.

            “How are you doing up there? Have you been watching over me lately? If you haven’t, I’ve got a story to tell you.” I chuckled.

            “Last night was Nate’s birthday. We went to see Holden’s band. They played at this club that we like to hang out at. Anyway, Nate surprised me by proposing. Can you believe it? Neither can I. I was so shocked. I wasn’t expecting it at all.” I sighed looking down at my hands.

            “I wonder what you would say if you were here right now.” I muttered under my breath.

            “Do you think I made the right decision?” I asked hoping for a sign.

            When nothing happened I continued talking, “I think I did. I think I made the right choice.”

            “Well, I’m glad to hear that.” Nate’s voice said behind me.

            I turned to see him walking towards me holding flowers. I smiled and stood up giving him a kiss on his lips before taking the flowers and setting them on Les’ grave.

            “Thanks for getting these.” I said sitting back down with Nate.

            “No problem. So you’re telling Les about how you’re going to become Mrs. Ruth Thyer?” He asked beaming at me.

            He took my left hand stared at the beautiful diamond ring on my finger then gave my hand a kiss.

            Leaning into him I smiled, “I’m happy Les. I just wish that you could be there.”

            “He will be. Trust me; he wouldn’t miss you getting married. He’ll be there, watching over you. Walking with you as you march down the aisle in a beautiful gown and smiling at you.” Nate promised.

            I blinked back tears but the smile remained on my face. I knew he was right. Les was always going to be with me.

            “I love you.”

I don't really know what to say. Even though I'm done writing Crush, I still have editing to do. Hopefully one day I will become published, in the mean time thank you once again. Without all this support on my story, I probably would have stopped writing and my life would be different.

I've got an idea for a new story so keep a look out for an email/message from me. I'll be giving you a synopsis of it soon and I want to know what you think about it. I really hope you stick around to read more from me.

If you want more Les, then please vote as I said earlier. 600=alternate 1,000=Les' POV

I know you can do it, I have over 2,000 fans and the first chapter has more than 600 votes. :)

Comment too.

Thank you sooooo much <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

460K 42.2K 33
๐™๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™ ๐™ฎ๐™– ๐™ ๐™–๐™ง ๐™™๐™–๐™ก๐™– , ๐™ˆ๐™–๐™ง ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž ๐™ข๐™ž๐™ฉ ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž ๐™ƒ๐™ค ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž...... โ™ก ๐™๐™€๐™๐™„ ๐˜ฟ๐™€๐™€๐™’๐˜ผ๐™‰๐™„ โ™ก Shashwat Rajva...
4.3K 369 72
Demitria, a completely normal girl, has one goal: to fit in. What she doesn't know is that she will never fit in. Not in the normal way anyway... I...
485K 16.2K 37
"I think I'm in love with your sister." - Park Jimin
21.3K 323 101
Just some creek one shots mostly fluff