The One Who Got Away

By NadineSchadt

Ava Miller ran from every man she got close to. She meets Seth and find it not as easy to run. As she final... More

First Meeting
Dinner and A Show
Streets of New York
Amazing
Just Fun
Monster
Bad
Pain
Flooded
Home
Sick
New Job
First Fight
Let Go
New Friends
Fantasy
Seth's Birthday Pt. 1
Seth's Birthday Pt. 2
Marriage?
Christmas
Fear
Back to Normal
The Calm Before the Storm
The Final Showdown
Aftermath

The Ultimate Betrayal

170 5 4
By NadineSchadt

A couple months passed by and Ava began to think about Brenda a lot. She felt guilty for leaving and not even saying goodbye to her friend. Brenda was always so good to her. Always was a listening ear and helped with Sam. Now Ava felt like she abandoned her. Ava told Seth about how she felt and he decided to do something about it. Seth went one particular day to the airport and pulled up to the front. Just then, he saw Brenda. He moved out of his car as he called out to her. Brenda spotted him and smiled. She walked over to his car as he moved to the trunk and opened it. She gave him a hug and Seth said, happily, "I am so glad you came. Ava is going to be so surprised to see you."

Brenda smiled at him. She then asked, "Are you sure she is going to be okay with seeing me?"

"Of course. She has been feeling so guilty for leaving you the way she did. I know she will be so happy to see her best friend." Seth reassured her.

Seth put her luggage in the trunk as Brenda felt guilt consume her. She didn't tell Seth about her encounter with Will. She wanted to personally tell Ava. But she wasn't sure if she was okay with doing it face to face with her. But Seth insisted she come, that Brenda felt she had no choice. So, now she was in LA and knew she would have to tell her best friend about Will.

Both Seth and her moved to the front and got in the car. He took Brenda to their house. When he pulled into the driveway, she saw their home. She looked at him and asked in shock, "You live here?"

Seth laughed slightly, "Yes. Well, Ava, Sam, and I live here. This is her home now too."

"Wow, Ava moved on up, didn't she." Brenda said in awe.

She chuckled again. He parked his car in the garage and they got out. She grabbed her luggage as they moved into the house. Brenda looked around the home and breathed. "Jesus, Seth. This place is huge."

"Yeah, well, I got this place when it was just me. Now that I have Sam and Ava, I am thinking about getting a bigger place." He told her.

She looked at him in disbelief. "You are joking, right?"

Seth just laughed. "Come on, I'll show you where you'll be staying."

He took her to the guest room. He let her settle in as he went back downstairs. She came down a few moments later and asked, "When will Ava be home?"

"No clue. Every night varies. I think she said tonight will be a late night." He told her.

Just then, Sam walked in with Teddy as he got home from school. Sam saw Brenda and exclaimed, "Auntie Brenda!"

He ran over to her and hugged her. She said, happily, "Hey, Sam. I have missed you."

"I missed you too. When did you get here?" He asked her, as he pulled away.

"Just a little while ago." She told him sweetly.

Then Teddy walked up to them. "Sir?" He looked at Seth.

Seth said to him, "Go on home, Teddy. I got him. I'm not going anywhere for the rest of the day."

"Yes, sir." He said to Seth.

Sam beamed out, "Bye, Teddy."

"Bye, little man. I'll see you Monday." He told Sam.

He walked out. "Who was that?" Brenda asked.

"My bodyguard, Teddy." Sam quickly answered.

Brenda nodded as now she felt worse that Seth felt the need to protect them so much to get them bodyguards.

It was late, Ava was finally pulled into the driveway as Robert followed. She parked in the garage and saw Seth's car. She got out of her car as Robert's car was in front of the garage as his window was down. She told him, "Seth is here. You can go, Robert."

Robert nodded as she walked to the door to the house and closed the garage. She walked in and Seth called out, "Ava?"

"Yeah, it's me." She was tired. She asked him, "Is Sam in bed?"

"Yeah, normal time." He called back.

She finally walked in the living room as she didn't look towards Seth and groaned, "These late nights are killing me. Days like today, I miss the Late Show."

She finally looked at Seth and saw Brenda next to him on the couch. Her eyes brightened as she was happy to see her. She rushed over to her, "Oh my god. What are you doing here?"

Brenda stood up and smiled. They hugged. Brenda said, "Seth brought me here to surprise you. He said you were missing me."

She pulled away from her friend and looked at Seth. "This was your doing?"

Seth just smiled and nodded. She moved over to him and bent over to him. She gave him a sweet kiss and said when she pulled away, "This is amazing, baby. Thank you."

"Anything for you, love. I know you missed your friend." He told her.

She looked at him in awe as he continued to surprise her. He knew how to make her smile. She stood back up and looked at Brenda. "We have to catch up."

They both sat on the couch as Seth said, "I'll leave you two be."

He got up and walked away as they both began to talk about the last several months of their lives. They laughed and it felt like old times. Ava then said to Brenda, "I have missed you so much."

"Me too. New York doesn't feel the same without you there." Brenda said, sadly.

"I'm sorry." Ava told her.

Brenda looked confused. "For what?"

"The way I left. I didn't even say goodbye to you. Just after what happened, I had to leave." Ava said, feeling guilty.

Brenda couldn't bare seeing Ava feeling guilty as she had more of a reason to feel guilty then Ava did. "Don't worry about it. I understand. I know it was Will."

"How?" Ava asked, almost surprised.

Brenda shook her head and lied, "Call it a hunch."

Brenda felt like a coward. She knew she should tell Ava what happened and that Will knew she was in LA, but didn't know how to. They were together and happy and Brenda was afraid to ruin that. Ava then said, sadly, "It was awful, Brenda. If it wasn't for Seth, I don't know what we do. He is so protective of us. Just feels like a bad dream now. The worse part is he told me he would come after Sam next. God, I don't know what I would do if he hurt him."

"He really said he come after Sam?" Brenda asked as the guilt consumed her more.

Ava nodded. "But Seth is making sure that does not happen."

"Is that why the bodyguard?" Brenda asked.

Ava nodded again. "Yeah. Seth got us each one. He is afraid Will will find us. But by now, I have realized there is no way Will could have known we have moved across the country. I think this is the last place he look, honestly."

Brenda's guilt took over as she knew Will knew what city she was in. She said to her slowly, "Ava, I have to tell you something."

Ava looked at her as she waited. Brenda wanted to tell her but it wouldn't come out. She finally said, "I'm glad you and Sam are okay and happy."

Ava smiled as Brenda put on a fake smile. She couldn't tell her. She was afraid she would not forgive her. She felt so conflicted. She wanted to tell her but didn't know how.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ava headed to bed as Brenda decided to go to bed herself as it was getting late. Ava walked in the room and heard the shower going. She smiled to herself. Seth surprised her with her best friend. She didn't know many guys who would do something like that, let alone even listen to their girlfriend complain. She quickly undressed and headed into the bathroom. She opened the door to the shower and stepped in. She saw Seth under the water rinsing himself off. She moved over to him and put her arms around him from behind and her hands moved up his chest. He moved his face from under the water as he looked back. She rain small kisses on his back and said, sweetly, "You are so incredible, Seth. You have no idea how much this means to me."

He turned to her as she loosened her grip so he could move in her arms. Seth moved his arms around her. "I know you were missing her. You left everything behind in a hurry when you left New York to you." He said, sweetly.

She smiled at him. "How did I get so lucky?" She asked him.

"I love you, Ava. I do anything for you. I hate to see you sad, so whatever it takes to put a smile on your face, I'll do it." He said to her, sincerely.

She moved on her toes so she could reach his face. She took his lips and it quickly progressed. She pulled away and said, seductively, "Let me show you how much I appreciate what you have done for me."

She smiled as she moved away from him and out the shower door. Seth smiled to himself as he quickly shut off the water and followed her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Brenda and Ava was inseparable. They missed each other. They hung out as they caught up on everything. They were in the living room, talking. Brenda asked, "So, how was adjusting to LA?"

"God, took me a while. But I am. Doesn't get cold here. That was the biggest adjustment. My job at Conan is really not much different then at Jimmy, just longer hours at times. Biggest adjustment is well all this." She pointed to the house. "This life is so different. Seth is use to living one way and I am use to another. We kinda had to meet in the middle. Quite an adjustment to move in with someone, especially someone of his statue. But we finally got a good thing here and got to were it is perfect. Took a while to get here, but we did." She explained to Brenda.

Brenda smiled at her. "I know you are definitely not use to living with anyone, especially a man."

"It was an adjustment for Seth as well." Ava pointed out. "He went from being a single man to having Sam and I around constantly. He never said it, but I know it got to him at the beginning. But, now, he took to it, especially to Sam. He is so good with Sam. They have a bond unlike anything I have seen. Seth won't just do anything for me, but for Sam as well. It is so incredible to watch. The love he has for Sam." Ava got emotional talking about it as it made her heart swell. She wiped the tear away and slightly laughed. "Look, this man has turned me into a complete sap."

"Wow, Ava, I have never seen you like this." Brenda smiled.

Ava looked confused and asked, "Like what?"

"In love." Brenda beamed.

Ava bit her lip as she smiled. "I am, Brenda. Seth is unlike any man I have ever met."

Brenda slightly laughed and said, "I think you need to give Mark a big thank you."

"For what?" Ava asked, confused.

"Cause if Mark never tricked you and Seth into meeting that day on the bridge, you wouldn't ever gave Seth a real chance. You wouldn't be in love." Brenda explained to her.

Ava realized she was right. "I'll have to take him out to dinner sometime, or maybe watch his kids so him and Rhea can have a date night. Something to say thank you to him."

Brenda chuckled. Just then Sam and Seth walked into the living room. Sam stood in front of Seth as Seth had his hands on his shoulders. "So, girls, Sam and I have a real hankering for some ice cream. So, anyone want to go to the ice cream shop?"

"God, yes. That sounds amazing." Ava said as she stood up.

Brenda smiled as she followed. "Sounds great."

They left in Seth's car. They got to the shop as Ava looked around. Seth noticed and said, sweetly, "Don't worry, love. There is no paparazzi."

He smiled as her as she looked at him. She nodded, feeling more comfortable. They got out and walked into the shop. They were the only ones, which Ava was grateful for. Sam quickly ran over to look at which flavor he wanted. The adults followed. They let Sam get his first and once he got it, Ava told him, "Go find a table and wait for us."

He nodded and did as he was told. Brenda got hers and sat next to Sam. As Ava looked, Seth moved behind her as he moved an arm around her. He kissed the top of her head She smiled. Brenda watched and smiled as she was happy for her friend to find a good man. Then the guilt quickly came back as she thought it might be short lived. Ava and Seth picked out what they wanted and they waited to be served when Ava's phone rang. She pulled it out of her back pocket and looked at it. It was a private number. She quickly ignored it as she did not pick up private numbers. Seth asked, "Who was it?"

"I don't know." She shrugged. "It was private. If it is important, they will leave a message."

They moved to the counter to pay. Seth went and took out his card as Ava took out hers. He went to swipe his card and she pushed his hand out of the way. She quickly swiped her card as she looked up at him and he looked at her in disapproval. She smiled. "I can pay for ice cream for Christ sakes."

"You know you are a pain sometimes." Seth told her.

She laughed. "But you love me, so deal."

Seth just smiled at her. They took their ice cream and Seth sat next to Sam and Ava sat next to him. Seth then asked Ava, "Did you tell Brenda about tomorrow?"

"No, not yet." Ava shook her head.

"What about tomorrow?" Brenda asked.

"Well, "Ava said. "We are having a get together with a few friends."

"Oh, that sounds great." Brenda beamed.

"But the people that are coming, well, they are friends of Seth's. Might intimate you a bit. That I am afraid you might act like an ass, and you are not to do that." Ava warned her.

Brenda asked, "Who is coming?"

"Mark and Rhea." Ava began to say. "And a few people Seth works with. Mila Kunis, her husband, Ashton Kutcher, Seth Green, and his wife, Clare, Alex Borstein, and Mike Henry."

"Holy shit!" Brenda's mouth dropped open.

Ava then told her, "This is why I am telling you. You can't act like a star struck fan girl when they come over. So, you have to act cool."

"Ava, are you serious? I am not you. You are use to this, I'm not. How am I suppose to act cool. They are celebrities. Remember how I was the first time I met Mark."

Ava laughed and nodded. "I know, hence why I am telling you now. I even remember the first time you met Seth, you told him he was hotter in person, if I remember correctly. So, just process this and act cool, please."

Brenda laughed and said, "I will try, I promise. Can't promise I won't be nervous."

Ava said with a smile, "Just don't let the first thing that pop in your mind come out of your mouth, please. They are really cool. I like them. They are really nice. But I think you will like Mila and Alex. They are so nice and really cool people. I kinda became really close to Mila."

"Oh, so you went and replaced me, huh?" Brenda joked.

"Of course not." Ava told her. "But I did need a friend here. Mila is really nice and has my back. You will like her." Ava reassured her.

"Well as long as you didn't go and replace me, then cool." Brenda said.

Ava smiled. "Good."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following day came. The afternoon approached and quickly people showed up. Brenda finally emerged from the guest room as she knew she would be around celebrities, she struggled with what to wear and how to do her hair and makeup. She walked down the stairs and Ava almost exclaimed as she finally saw her, "Took you forever!"

Brenda admitted, "I am nervous."

"They are people, Brenda. They just do television and movies." Ava tried to make her feel better.

Brenda exhaled. "That did not help."

"Come on. You will be fine." Ava reassured her.

They walked together out back as the group sat around talking. Ava went around introducing the group to Ava. She saved Mila for last. They walked to Mila and Ashton and Ava said, "Brenda, this is Mila and Ashton. Guys, this is my best friend from New York, Brenda."

Ashton quickly shook her hand as he said hi to her. And Mila smiled as she held out her hand. "It's nice to met you. Ava has told me a lot about you."

Brenda took it and said, coldly, "I have heard nothing about you until yesterday."

Mila noticed. "Well, what a shame. Ava and I have become quite close."

"Well, Ava and I have been friends for eight years." Brenda quickly said.

"Yeah, but she and I have shared a lot with one another." Mila narrowed her eyes.

Ava realized they were fighting, in their own way, over her. Almost like they became territorial over her friendship. She knew the day before Brendda was not happy that Ava had become lose with another girl, but she didn't expect this. "Guys, " She quickly said. "Let's just be friends."

Brenda ignored her. "Oh, yeah, then tell me, what was her favorite teddy bears name growing up?"

"Mr. Pickle." Mila quickly replied.

"Childhood best friend's name?" Brenda asked.

"Sara Silvers." Mila spit out as she smiled.

"Parent's name?"

"Martin and Melissa Millers."

"Too easy. Childhood cat's name?"

"Trick question. She didn't have a cat, she had a dog name Patches."

Brenda frowned her eyebrows as she stared Mila down. Mila only stared back. There was a silence between the women. Ava grew more nervous. They both smiled and began to laugh. "Oh, I like her, Ava. She has the same attitude as me." Brenda beamed.

Ava was relieved as the girls seemed to get along. Mila said to Brenda with a smiled, "I think we will get along great."

"We should. We both friends with this pain in the ass." Brenda retorted as she pointed to Ava.

"Hey!" Ava quickly exclaimed as she began to laugh.

"We understand each other's pain is all I am saying." Brenda told her.

Ava rolled her eyes and smiled. "I am just glad you two like each other."

Quickly the two women began to talk as Ava smiled at the sight of the two girls getting along.

A few hours went by and everyone was having a good time joking around. Ava's phone went off again. She looked at the caller id and again, a private number. It was the sixth call in the last twenty four hours from a private number, but no messages was left. She quickly excused herself from the group as she decided to answer the call. She walked into the house and answered it. "Hello." She said into the phone.

"Well, hello, Ava. Missed me?" A voice rang from the other side.

Her heart seemed to stop as she recognized the voice. She almost choked out, "Will?" The asked, "How did you get this number?"

"I told you, Ava. I will always find you. A husband has a right to know where his wife is. You have to stop trying to hid from me, Ava. You belong to me." He breathed.

Her heart pounded in her chest as her fear took over. "Please, Will, just leave us alone." She begged.

He laughed menacingly on the other end. "Now, Ava, I can't do that. You are my wife. Sam is my son. And we will be together. There is nothing anyone an do to stop that. Not your little boyfriend and the bodyguards he hired to protect you. You are mine and we will be a family."

"Please, Will. We are no longer husband and wife."

"Yes, we are!" He yelled. "Just cause you went and got your little divorce that I didn't agree to doesn't mean anything. You are mine. Not his. You will never be his. Do you understand me, Ava?" She didn't answer as the fear took control over her. "Playing house with your little boyfriend doesn't change who you belong to." She gulped as she realized he was watching her and Sam again. "Thou I am surprised to see you and Brenda still so buddy, buddy as she told me where to find you."

"What?" She breathed and she looked out the window at Brenda, who was sitting with the group laughing and talking.

"Oh, you didn't know." Will beamed. "She sang like a canary and told me to look for you in LA. I knew then where to start my search for you." Ava thought there was no way her best friend would do that to her.

"You are lying." Ava said to him.

Will laughed again. "If you do not believe me, ask her yourself."

Deep down, she knew Will was not lying to her. Brenda seemed like she had something to tell her but didn't know how. Now she knew. "I will see you soon, Ava."

He hung up and she removed the phone from her ear. She was fearful as Will found her and Sam. She was shaking from the phone call. She looked back out the window and again saw Brenda. Her fear quickly faded into anger. She couldn't believe her best friend would do that to her, knowing what he had did to her in the past. She quickly moved out the door and stormed towards Brenda. Brenda noticed Ava walking over to her angrily and stood up as she asked, "Ava, are you okay?"

Before Brenda knew what happened, Ava punched her across her cheek and Brenda fell to the ground. Mila jumped up and stood in between the girls as Seth rushed over and grabbed Ava around her waist to hold her back, as she went to go after Brenda. The group seemed to be shocked by Ava's sudden burst of violence. Brenda looked up at Ava, hurt, as she was on the ground and held her cheek. Mila almost yelled at Ava, "What the hell?"

Ava ignored Mila and yelled at Brenda, "You fucking told him where to find us!"

Seth quickly knew what she was talking about as his eyes widened. Brenda quickly stood up and stammered, "Ava, I...I'm sorry."

"You told him and yet you sat here acting like nothing happened! How could you!" Ava yelled.

"I wanted to tell you, I just didn't know how." Brenda tried to explain.

Ava tried to go at her again but Seth held her back. "Do you know what you just did? Do you not remember what he fucking did to Sam and me in the past?"

Brenda began to cry as she said, "I'm so sorry, Ava."

"You're sorry! He stabbed me, Brenda! Twice! And raped me! He almost killed Sam! But you're fucking sorry! That is just suppose to make it all better!" She screamed at Brenda.

Brenda looked away, ashamed. The group on the other hand seemed shocked by the revelation. Seth was grateful Sam went inside earlier to play as he didn't need to see any of what was happening or hear it. Seth also noticed the group's expression. Seth calmly told Ava, "Baby, we should go inside so you can calm down. This isn't the answer."

"Ava, he threatened to kill me." Brenda told her.

"Oh, so that is suppose to make it better! Forget about me for a minute, that is fine, but what about Sam, Brenda! You know what he will do to him if he finds us! So, you trade your life for a ten year old boy's! He is innocent in all this! He has no clue, none! You put a death sentence on his head!"

"Ava, please, I didn't know."

"Bullshit! I hope you burn in hell for what you did!"

Brenda was in shock by Ava's anger and Ava just looked at Brenda with hate. She tried to pull away from Seth but he refused to let go. She said angrily to him, "Let me go, Seth. I am so fucking done with her." He hesitatingly removed his arms from around her and she turned to him as she said, coldly, "I want her gone, right now."

Ava quickly walked towards the house. Brenda called out in tears, "Ava, wait!"

She went to chase her as Ava ignored her. Mila quickly stood in her way as her arms were crossed. Ava got inside the house and Seth moved closer to Brenda. Brenda quickly tried to explain to him, "Seth, please, understand, I had no choice..."

He cut her off, "I think you should leave, Brenda. You have done enough damage. You have worn out your welcome here. I'll send for a car to take you to the airport."

Without another word, Seth turned around and walked inside to find Ava. Brenda stood there in tears as her friendship with Ava ended. She knew there was no way she would forgive her. Brenda stood there as Mila looked at her in anger. "I really think it is a good idea you leave. You are not wanted here anymore."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 3.5K 26
Aiden had moved to a small town, not knowing what it was really about. What he thought was a small, friendly town is actually something more dangero...
384 37 35
When Julie Montgomery decides it's time to move out of her parent's home, it isn't her choice. She's running from something, or specifically someone...
127K 3.2K 34
She was hurt. Mentally, physically. She would never trust another man again. Never. But she meets this crazy but sweet guy that understands all the f...
90.8K 2.3K 28
Alex Michaels had lived more in her twenty years of life than most people have. She trusts no one and relies on only herself. She doesn't have tim...