984 (Complex Series, #2)

By AnneBrees

-second book in Complex series- Piper purposely gets herself sent to the Unknown in search for a rebel grou... More

Before you read...
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Author's Note

Chapter Eleven

603 40 5
By AnneBrees

Dana stumbles backward. She trips over her own feet and falls on her hands. She desperately crawls back. Canton advances on her, a growl in his throat. Miranda steps in front of Dana, blocking her from Canton's view.

Canton continues to move closer, slightly crouched. He leaps at Miranda. She slips out of his grasp, her foot sailing against his head.

Canton stumbles backward. Miranda catches him as he falls to the ground. He thrashes in Miranda's grasp, but she holds tight. She shouts, "Camilla, open the door. Piper and Dana, get out of here." As the door opens, Miranda shoves Canton back on the bed, holding him down by his shoulders. One nurse pushes us out of the room while another comes towards Canton. The nurse pulls out a shot, presses it into his arm. Canton relaxes after only a few seconds.

They shepherd us out into the hall. Dana sits on the floor, leaning against the wall. Miranda crouches next to her, whispers something in her ear. Dana nods, desperately wiping tears away from her eyes. A drop of blood smacks the floor from her lip. Bright red against the sterile gray tile. 

Miranda breaks the silence, "So, he doesn't respond to someone he knows. This isn't abnormal behavior for an Eeke, you know. After you live with the Ecru for awhile, your only thought is to survive."

Miranda glances worriedly back in Dana's direction. Two nurses surround her, putting gels and sprays on her lip

Miranda continues, talking to a Nurse "Dana, Piper, and I will visit tomorrow, to see if there is any improvement.”

Camilla raises her eyebrows slightly, "Did you have to kick him? I’m sure it’s not going to help his emotional memory of this place."

"He could have hurt someone, he did hurt someone. It was self defense. Besides, I've been trained how to disable someone. I didn't cause any serious damage."

Camilla doesn’t seem satisfied with this answer, but she doesn’t say anything more. I wonder if this has happened before.

Miranda turns to Dana, "Is it okay if Piper and I continue on? We have a lot more we need to talk about. You can just go back to the Kitchens once they fix you all up."

Dana nods, causing the assisting nurses to scowl.

Miranda directs me out of the hall.

We reach her office. She tells me to again take a seat in those hard metal chairs. I don’t know how I’m going to keep all my secrets without lying.  

Miranda misreads my fear, "Piper, people think of me in two different ways. Some think I'm a mean and scary Leader. The others see around my authority and position, and realize I really am not that scary. Okay?"

I give her a feeble nod. I think it’s supposed to make me feel better, but it doesn’t get rid of a sliver of the fear weighting down my stomach.

She rolls her eyes, "You have just seen a lot of the bad side of me. You seem to be involved with a lot of things. Quite an achievement, coming from the Complex."

I shrug, not sure whether that’s a compliment or an insult to my ‘fake’ story.

Miranda gives me a tight smile, "I’m done with your nonchalance. This is your future we are discussing. Either you can drop the act and focus or you can continue this little show and we will get nowhere."

I shrink back. Miranda reads into every single gesture, even if they didn’t mean anything.

Miranda taps a finger on her cheekbone. “How do you know Bridget?" Her fingers hover over the light keyboard, ready to type.

"She was 990 and I was 984, so I saw her a lot, I guess." Does my voice sound as guilty as I think it does?

Miranda narrows her eyes again, "I know that in the Complex, there are four girls to a room. She couldn't be your roommate. I also know that if someone is not your roommate, you don't know her at all.”

“We still saw each other…”

Miranda interrupts me. “Bridget said in these exact words, 'We shared our names in a quick moment, right before everything fell apart. Of course, I don't think I was supposed to remember anything about that.' Can you explain that?"

I glide carefully on the edge between lies and truth. The more truth, the better. "I don't remember it. Bridget said, 'I don't think I was supposed to remember anything about that,' right? Well, I don't remember anything about 'that.'"

Miranda leans back in her chair, "If you don't remember anything, how do you remember their names?"

"I knew Canton because Brinn and Dana had told me about him in the Complex."

"What about Bridget?"

I have myself stuck in a trap. How do I explain that I know Bridget's name? A little diversion would be helpful right now. I wish Christopher would barge in again.

"I don't know." I whisper.

Miranda frowns. I don't think she was expecting that answer. "What do you mean, you don't know?"

I have no idea what to say now. “I don't know how I know Bridget's name." It comes out more like a question than an answer. I bite my lip.

Miranda stands up and begins pacing. I keep my head pointed forwards, unable to judge her expression.

Miranda turns to face me, "Could you elaborate more on why you 'don't know'?"

I twist my mouth thinking, "I guess...I guess I just somehow knew her name." These are the lies that are going to make me look unable to trust when I tell them my true story. I am only getting myself farther away from a chance in the rebellious group of the Unknown.

Miranda sits back down, tapping her nails against the desk. "I don't have time for this. I know you're not loyal to the Heads. But, I also know that something still isn't adding up. We’re just going in circles. So, here's what I'm going to do. As you may have guessed, there is a rebellious group of people in the Unknown. I am going to invite you to one of these meetings in exchange for one thing. You answer one question of mine."

I am quiet. I pretend to be contemplating, but I have already made up my mind. The reason I am here is to get into one of these meetings.

Miranda takes my silence as indecision. "You won't be able to get into the meetings without my help. You wouldn't know the first place to look. This will be your only chance. All I need is a handshake and promised secrecy."

I pretend I'm still thinking about it. I don't want to seem too eager.

So, after a minute or so, I bargain my side of the deal, carefully, "I don't want to answer the question in front of everyone, just you and me. I'll answer after I see the meeting."

Miranda thinks about this. "You will answer during the meeting. That way, neither of us can trick each other. But, you won't have to answer in front of everybody."

I nod slowly. 

Miranda holds out her hand. I hesitantly shake it.

Miranda smiles, "I will send you a Notice on where to meet me, and I will lead you to the meeting place."

I ask, "When will I be?"

"Tomorrow night."

"How long?"

"It depends."

"How many people?"

"It depends."

"Does Dana know."

"No."

"Really? She's about as rebellious as they come."

"She never showed that to me. As far as I was aware, she was falsely accused for talking in the hallway,"

That must have been Dana’s story to protect Brinn.

"Can Dana join the group?" I ask.

"It depends."

I raise my eyebrows at her continuous answer.

"A lot of things can change quickly in the Unknown."

“That’s becoming more and more clear.

"I'll send a Notice to Charlotte to come pick you up."

I nod. And just like that, I am part of the rebellious Unknown group. Part one of the plan seems to be completed. But, it also seems that when it comes to Miranda, there is always a catch.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.5K 1.4K 52
-fourth book in the Complex series- Claire, known to most people only by her Complex number as 274, has always obeyed the Official's rules. You have...
4.9K 227 8
In tomorrow's society, being pretty is all that matters. The right hair, the best clothes, the ideal height and shape; perfection is not only attaina...
1.3K 103 27
In the not-so-distant future, the new united world's youth are recruited to work for the shadowed government organization known as the Facility. Ther...
739 50 25
'There's something beyond the mirrors...' She should probably be choosing her majors for college, considering a career, and the direction for the res...