Coach's Number One

By LaurenJ22

#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult Unwelcoming teammates. A more-than-friendly swim coach. A swim captain who w... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Harvey & Grace įƒ¦įƒ¦įƒ¦
MERRY CHRISTMAS! šŸŽ„šŸŽ„šŸŽ„
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Ashton & Grace įƒ¦įƒ¦įƒ¦
Chapter Nineteen
Hayden & Grace įƒ¦įƒ¦įƒ¦
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Trailer
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
The Choice: Reader Survey
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
BAD LIAR
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two (FINAL CHAPTER)
Epilogue
Shay... I mean slay šŸ™ŒšŸ¼
Darker Than Sin šŸ–¤
Coach's Number One: An Interactive Reading Game
Love in the Deep End is LIVE on Chapters Interactive!

Chapter Thirteen

191K 7.4K 9.5K
By LaurenJ22

-------------------

Dedication: Dysanic for the amaaaazing cover. I love it!

Recap:

"You actually bore me," I sighed, leaning back onto my locker theatrically. "Your threats are empty and you can't even deny the fact that you're kind of obsessed with me. I know that I'm hotter and more talented than you, but that should just make you work harder. Try not to be so jealous, it's not a flattering look."

Her mouth fell open and I leaned forward, hitting it with my finger. She wrenched away from me, throwing daggers in my direction.

"I'm out to get you," she whispered.

"Again, empty threats," I said, leaning close to her. "You've got nothing."

With that, I turned and stalked out of the locker room, letting out a loud laugh that echoed down the hallway.

If she thinks she can get to me, she can think again.

-------------------

No matter how hard I tried to ignore the persistent beep sound that is abusing my ears, it won't go away. If anything, it seemed to get louder.

Groaning, I roll over and turn my alarm off. I feel exhausted and I haven't even gotten out of bed yet. My body feels heavy with sleep and my eyes stinging. I had bad nightmares last night. I kept thinking I could hear someone outside the house, resulting in me waking up sweat-drenched and breathless.

That was a downside of having the house to myself. When I was scared, I had no one to hold my hand and tell me everything would be alright.

Rubbing my face, I pulled myself from my bed and dragged my feet into the bathroom. I was meant to go for a jog this morning before my swim practise, but I was too tired. 

The warm water runs down my muscles, making me feel instantly better. I inhale the steam as I lean wearily against the cool, glass pane.

Robotic-like, I went about my morning routine as I prepared myself for school. I made it to the front door, before realising I'd left my gym bag in the kitchen. That would have been fun - walking to school and having to turn right back around. Stiffling a yawn, I backtrack to the kitchen.

Swinging the door open, I cup my hand over my face, in an attempt to shield my eyes from the harsh, morning rays of the sun. Closing the door behind me, I made it about five steps, before I tripped and landed in a painful sprawl, face-first.

I should have stayed in bed.

Sighing, I slowly sat up and a gasp left my lips. I hadn't tripped over my own feet - I had tripped over rubbish. My entire lawn was littered with junk, rubbish and bags, containing rotten fruit. The smell was disgusting.

What the...

Slowly, I got to my feet, my eyes wide as I scan my lawn. It looked like a cyclone had torn through it, leaving a path of destruction in its wake.

Pivoting, I continue to take in the mess and freeze as I look back at my house. My hand covered my mouth as I stare in horror.

Splashing across my garage, in deep, crimson spray paint, was one, single word that made me feel like I was going to throw up.

Transfer.

My stomach clenched as I stared at it. This was unbelievable. Someone, or more specifically, Mia, actually wasted her time enough to come and graffiti my house.

The writing was surprisingly neat. Maybe Mia has done this before. Shaking my head, feeling sick, I withdrew my phone and dialled my mother's number. Not even sure what I was going to say, I pressed the phone to my ear. It rang out. I tried two more times, before letting out a groan of frustration.

Feeling slightly panicked and not sure what to do next, I found myself dialling 000. I directed my call to the police. I explained what happened and they said they were sending someone out.

Glancing down at the time, I shook my head. I was going to miss swim practise.

Sighing, I walk to my porch and sit heavily. I send a text to Harvey, saying I would be late.

After twenty minutes of staring vaguely around at the mess, a police officer arrived. It was kind of a blur. They asked me a series of questions, including where my parents were. I told them mum was at work, leaving out the fact that she hasn't come home for three days.

"If you could just step back," he states, waving towards me. "I'm going to take some photos."

Nodding, I step out of the way. He called something on the radio and soon after, a van pulled up. They began to put tape in weird places and tested for fingerprints. I watched them silently as I chewed at my lip.

They didn't seem very committed to the crime scene. Well, I was calling it a crime scene. They kept saying since no one actually broke in, it wasn't that serious. Serious, my ass. They graffited my garage door.

I lean against the police car as they drag this whole thing out. School had well and truly started. Finally, they were finished and said they would be in contact with me.

"Can I start cleaning now?" I asked.

"Yes. Usually, you would have to wait. But as-"

"No one broke in-" I mutter.

"-You can begin cleaning," he finished, giving me a tight-lipped smile.

They piled into their cars and left. I pulled out my phone and began searching for cleaners. Like hell I was going to give them the satisfaction of knowing I cleaned up their mess. After getting in touch with a man named Tony, he said he would bring a crew out at 1pm. I wasn't going to be here, I planned to go confront Mia.

Staring at the mess before my eyes, one more time, I turn, my face twisting into a pure look of fury. A couple, in their mid-sixties, who was out walking, stopped and stared openly at my house. I shrug my bag onto my shoulder and ignore them.

The closer I got to school, the angrier I felt. Mia was going to pay for this.

I had taken mere steps into school when people began staring. Everyone knew. It's beyond me how they knew - but they did. People began following me, to see where I was going. The look on my face probably gave me away.

I walk into the hallway, where everyone had just entered, ready to deposit their books into their lockers before heading to lunch. Mia was there, surrounded by her 'Elite' group, talking and laughing.

She wouldn't be laughing much longer.

"Hold this," I snap, not even looking at the person who I spoke to as I threw my bag at them. I heard an oomph sound as my bag collided with them.

Stalking towards the group, Mia turned to me, a sickeningly sweet smile stretched across her face.

"Missed you at swim practise this morning," she says, mock sadness filling her voice.

Not hesitating for even a second, I reach out and grab a fistful of her hair. I slam her head into the locker behind her as hard as I could. A scream left her lips as she made contact with the hard metal.

"Dude!" Mike exclaims, grabbing me.

My body reacting faster than my mind, I turn and backhand him in the face.

"Fuck!" he groans, stumbling back.

"Get up!" I shout, looking down at Mia who is slumped against the lockers, nursing her head. It is silent around me as the crowd grew larger, all waiting to see what was going to happen next.

I am shaking with pure rage as I stare down at her. I can see her trembling. She looks up at me and there is no doubt that her eyes were filled with utter fear. She obviously hadn't expected this reaction.

"G-Grace," she stutters and I let out a loud laugh.

"Wow. You can go to my house, in the middle of the night and do whatever you want, but can't face me. You're weak." I turn and let out a hysterical laugh at the crowd around me. "Come on Mia, the crowd is here. Show them that you can take me on."

She shook her head at me and didn't move. Mike was nursing his swollen nose, shooting daggers in my direction.

"Sorry guys, not much to see here," I call out, throwing my hands in the air. "Apparently my friend here has a serious case of being a pussy."

Someone from the crowd snorted and Mia cringed. I almost felt sorry for her humiliation, but I didn't. I felt complete satisfaction.

Reaching down, I grab her, effortlessly pulling her to her feet. She is so small, I could throw her.

"Come to my house again, I will fucking kill you," I snarl venomously, pressing her against the locker. "I will rearrange your face. Got it?"

"GRACE!" a voice snaps.

Suddenly, my arm is wrenched back. I stagger, before righting my feet. I stare up at the Coach, who had hold of me.

"You!" he snaps, pointing to a young girl, holding a folder. She is dressed nicely. She must be an intern or doing work experience as she looked too young to be a teacher. "Check on her." He gestures to Mia, who was a trembling mess. He turns and glares at me. "Come with me." He pulls at my arm and began dragging me through the people gathered. They all step back to let us through.

"Ow," I complain as his grip tightens on my arm. "Where are we going?"

Wordlessly, a boy passed me my bag, his mouth gaping open. I didn't even glance at him as I swung it onto my shoulder, basically tripping to keep up with Coach.

He didn't answer. We bypassed the classrooms and were going the opposite way to the office. I then realised we were going to the gym.

"Not going to the office?" I question, confused.

I just hit someone. Surely, I was going to get in trouble.

He didn't answer. He continued to drag me like I was his doll until we were in the girl's change rooms. It was empty as everyone was at lunch. He shoves me, a little too aggressively, into the changing cubicle. He steps inside and locks the door.

"Er- what are you doing?" I ask, staring up at him.

Before I could fathom what was happening, he presses me against the wall and his lips meet mine in a rush. I'm completely frozen as his body pressed roughly against mine. I begin to kiss him back, my mind finally catching up with the speed of our bodies.

He reached up and yanked my hair from my ponytail. I let out a yelp as he pulled some hairs. He gripped my jacket, before pulling it from me, tossing it to the ground. I'm breathless as I look up at him. His lips crash into mine once more. He grips my leg, pulling it so that it wrapped around his hip. His hands began exploring my body, making me feel sensitive and weak at the same time.

The intensity of the kiss is making me feel lightheaded. His warm lips dancing against mine, made my knees go weak. His grip tightens before hoisting me up. My other leg snakes around him. He presses me harder against the wall and his hands slid up my shirt.

He pulls my shirt over my head and stares at my exposed body. I hardly recognise him. His lips are swollen and red. His eyes were a dark shade, filled with desire and lust. He's staring at me like I am the most beautiful thing he has seen. 

His eyes were ringed red, almost as if he had been out on a bender the night before. I furrow my eyebrows, wanting to look into his eyes, but he averted his gaze.

He reaches out and touching me softly. His warm fingers began caressing me. He inched closer and kissed me softly. I let out a moan and he froze, before putting me down.

"Don't," he growls, pressing his forehead into the crook of my neck.

"Don't what?" I whisper, breathless.

"My self-control is hanging on by a thread," he pants, his hot breath hitting my skin.

His self-control is already gone.

Unable to resist, I move my lips to his ear and brush my tongue across his earlobe. He hit the wall, letting out a growl-like sound.

"Grace, don't."

I smirk to myself. Me, having this much power over him, was dangerous. All I want to do is exploit it.

I softly begin leaving a trail of kisses down his neck.

"You're so hot," he groans, before pressing his lips to mine again.

He mumbles something into my skin, almost sounding like "you're just like her".

"What?" I ask breathlessly.

"Nothing," he whispered back.

I ran my fingers through his hair, letting them get tangled.

He steps back.

"We need..." he pauses, looking at me. He didn't need to say what he needed. "I have one, in my wallet," his lips are still touching mine.

My heart is slamming into my rib cage. My stomach felt like it had joined the spaghetti circus. I felt so dizzy and disorientated.

He wanted to sleep with me? Right here, in the change rooms?

Make out, sure, but having sex with him was different... I don't think I wanted things to go that far.

Just as he moved, to get his wallet, a static-sounding voice could be heard.

"Grace Connaway, could you please report to the principal's office. Grace Connaway. Thank you."

Ashton shook his head as if he had just snapped out of a trance. He stumbled back, his eyes wide as if just realising I was half-naked.

"Shit!" he exclaims. "You're a student. I'm the Coach."

"Ashton," I say softly.

He shook his head, stepping back further.

"Ashton," I repeat, reaching out for him.

He refuses to look at me. He turns, unlocked the door, and stormed out. I lean against the wall, trembling.

What the hell just happened?

With shaky hands, I fumble to get myself dressed. I quickly throw my hair up into a ponytail and pray I don't look as rough as I feel. Smoothing over my crumpled uniform, I step out, letting out a deep exhale. I hurry to the principal's office, dreading what is to come.

I let myself in and Mia is sitting there already.

"Miss Connaway," he greets, getting to his feet.

I give him a nod, before taking a seat, not sparing a glance at Mia, who is crying. I want to roll my eyes, she is obviously putting on a show.

Folding one leg over the other, I recline back, trying to keep myself calm.

"What happened between the two of you, I am not taking lightly," he says, his voice deep. He then paused, tapping his index finger on his chin. When he spoke next, his tone was much lighter. "Despite what people might think, I'm a reasonable and lenient man. I understand that at this age, there are a number of factors that influence the way you think and act. I get it." He clasps his hands together. "You two are Byron Elite stars. You both have excellent academic grades and both show outstanding talent in sport. We don't want to lose two talents, over a silly mistake."

My eyebrows raised. This is not the way I thought this was going to go.

He is silent for a few moments.

"However..." he says slowly, his eyes darkening slightly.

There is a quiet knock before Ashton slipped through the door. He didn't look at me as he walked in.

"Sir," he begins, his voice clipped and polite. "May I have a word? It's about this."

"All right," he nods, getting to his feet. "Ladies."

He exited the room with Ashton.

"You're a psycho," she hisses, turning to me.

"You started it." I retort childishly.

She scowls, turning from me, folding her arms across her chest.

"I notice you've stopped crying now that he's left," I point out. "What a coincidence."

"Shut it, whore."

"Whore?" I echo, turning to her. "Excuse me?"

"Try and deny it," she says, leaning closer, her eyes narrowed. "You're hooking up with the Coach."

I glare at her, just as the door swung open.

"Miss Connaway, your mother is Vera Connaway, yes?" he asks.

Quirking an eyebrow, I give him a curious look. "Yes, sir."

"She is involved in a fundraiser, that Byron Elite is also participating in, that involves raising funds for children and teenagers suffering from cancer."

I had no idea.

"Yes, sir," I say, acting like I knew what my mother did with her time.

"I don't want to expel you girls," he explains. "I should, but I don't want to. You two are athletes that have helped shape the golden reputation this school has."

"Like hell she has," I hear Mia mutter.

"With your mother's large donation and involvement, I could hardly expel her child," he says, giving me a knowing look.

Mia scoffs, a look of outrage etched on her face.

I want to shake my head. Basically, I'm not getting expelled because my mother is rich and has her name on the foundation this school is participating in.

My mother's money is buying my education. Not my skills, not me. My mother's money.

Did I really get in based on my swimming skills?

"Right, sir," I force myself to say.

"Therefore, you two will run the event. Our school is doing a carnival, to help raise funds for the hospital. You two are in charge."

"You want me to work with her?" Mia splutters, looking at principal Mather like he had three heads.

He gave as a broad grin. "Yes. Have fun, girls."

He is dismissing us? Just like that?

Feeling shocked, I get to my feet.

"Miss Connaway?" he says, as I reach the door.

Mia shot me a glare as she walks through.

"Yes, sir?" I ask.

"Your mother wrote a fantastic article about the fundraiser. She mentioned this school in high praise. Please tell her, we are very grateful."

I want to laugh. This whole situation is ridiculous.

"Of course, sir," I reply, forcing myself to be polite.

"Have a good day!" he calls after me.

Unbelievable.

"Oh my God!" Harvey exclaims as I walked out. He rushes towards me instantly. "You were so badass!"

I roll my eyes. "Whatever."

"Are you okay?"

"I guess," I shrug. "I'm not expelled."

"Thank God."

"I have to work with the She-Devil to organise a carnival fundraiser," I grimace, shuddering at the thought.

"Mia?" he questioned.

"The one and only."

He let out a snort. "Oh that's a good punishment. Go Principal Mather."

I glower at him and he laughs again.

This is going to be hell.

-------------------

Lots happened! What do you think about Mia vandalising her house?

And what do you think about her encounter with the Coach? Do you think what he said to the principal, during their meeting, helped persuade the principal into not punishing her too heavily?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 151 23
Two girls. At school they're total opposites. The cheer captain and the loaner geek. But at home, life isn't all as it's seems. And one teacher, and...
21.6M 599K 50
Grace wants to prove herself by making the men's hockey team at her new school. Will a rivalry with the captain - or an attraction between them - get...
237K 12K 28
Cover by @AndiApplexoxo ****MATURE CONTENT IN BOOK**** ****YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED**** Her world is dark. His is bright. She is like a ray of sunshine...
41.8K 791 34
"I think you should go." "Can't handle the truth princess?" "No, I can't handle your lies." "The clock doesn't lie darlin, you've said it yourself." ...