Escape [Sasuke Uchiha]

By phyxillie

"You're the only annoying person whose company I can really tolerate," confessed Sasuke. I rolled my eyes bu... More

Chapter 01: Heavy Heart
Chapter 02: Dicey Duel
Chapter 03: Last One Standing
Chapter 04: Shocking News
Chapter 05: Enraged
Chapter 06: My Dear Sister
Chapter 07: Ninjas From The Sand
Chapter 09: Sudden Confession
Chapter 10: Rock Lee
Chapter 11: The Twelve Rookies Have Assembled
Chapter 12: The Written Test
Chapter 13: The Tenth Question
Chapter 14: The Forest of Death
Chapter 15: The Second Exam
Chapter 16: The Softest Gaze
Chapter 17: Love At First Sight
Chapter 18: Make It Fair
Chapter 19: I Am His To Fight
Chapter 20: The True Purpose
Chapter 21: The First Match
Chapter 22: One Step Closer
Chapter 23: Watch Me
Chapter 24: Match Ups
Chapter 25: Black Abyss
Chapter 26: The Unspoken Question
Chapter 27: At His Mercy
Chapter 28: He Was Here
Chapter 29: My Safe Haven
Chapter 30: Enthralling Beauty
Chapter 31: The Final Exam
Chapter 32: The Battle For Family Honor
Chapter 33: Especially You
Chapter 34: The Long-Awaited Match
Chapter 35: The Invasion
Chapter 36: The Opposite Meaning
Chapter 37: His Humble Abode
Chapter 38: On One Condition
Chapter 39: Queen of the Night
Chapter 40: His Answer
Chapter 41: Her Feelings
Chapter 42: The Promise
Chapter 43: The Looming Danger
Chapter 44: Itachi And Kisame
Chapter 45: Naruto's Reassurance
Chapter 46: Two Things
Chapter 47: His Wish
Chapter 48: The Change
Chapter 49: Showdown
Chapter 50: Back To Normal
Chapter 51: Sasuke Retrieval Team
Chapter 52: Not A Threat, But A Promise
Chapter 53: Escape
Chapter 54: Bad Ending
Chapter 55: The Aftermath
Sequel: Selfish Desire

Chapter 08: His Presence

21.4K 707 623
By phyxillie

Continuation of last chapter

Naruto and Konohamaru began to talk and I walked to pick up the shuriken I threw a few minutes ago. As I picked it up from the ground, I noticed there were bloods on two sharp ends. This must be Kankuro's blood, I thought.

"You said you are going to enter the Chuunin Exam with your team, right?"

I looked to my side to see Sasuke standing there, his hands in his pockets as usual. He looked at me with impassive look and waited for my answer. I casually tossed the shuriken into my hip pouch and replied, "Yeah. The exam will start next week, if you're wondering."

"How can I participate in the exam?" inquired Sasuke with that unmistakably burning curiosity in his eyes.

"I knew you're going to ask that," I ignored his question deliberately, "It looks like Kakashi hasn't told you that yet."

"Ayuda," he called. I looked up (he's taller than me) at his face. His perseverance and commitment were clearly shown in his onyx eyes. The tone he used to speak with me also told me that he will get his answer no matter what. He added, "I want to enter the exam. Just tell me how."

I arched my eyebrows at him, "Are you sure? Even after meeting Gaara? He looks like the type of guy who can kill you without thinking twice. The Chuunin Exam is not really easy as it sound like, Sasuke."

"I should ask the same thing to you. Do you still have enough resoluteness left in you to enter the exam? Knowing you, your tenacity might be wavering slightly after learning that someone like him is here for the exam."

"Well," I started to walk away from him and his team, "You clearly don't know me because you're wrong. As long as I don't get in his way, I'll be safe and sound."

I spun around and walked off, uncaring of Sasuke's reaction since I had not answered to his question. I actually wanted to avoid that question because to be honest, I did not know the answer. Shiori told us about the Chuunin Exam and said we are qualified enough to participate in it. If your team leader feels like you're not ready, then you can't enter the exam no matter what. I knew that Kakashi had not told them because he was worried about them. It's up to him. Team 7 will have the permission to enter the exam if Kakashi allow them. But if Kakashi forbid them, then I can't do anything. That's why I desperately wanted to get away from Sasuke if he asks me that.

I took a glance behind me over my shoulder. I smiled triumphantly when I no longer see Team 7. It means that I was far away from them and Sasuke did not follow me or pestered me with his questions.

I was about to turn my head when I crashed into something hard; my cheek brushed against a blue object. I stumbled backward and I quickly regained my stability so as to avoid falling to the ground. I scowled to whoever it was in front of me and growled, "Watch where-"

My lips made a tight, straight line when I realized who it was – Sasuke. He raised an amused brow and stared at me with a simple blank look, "You still haven't answered my question yet."

I scowled and gritted my teeth, frustrated that he's still here. I didn't know he could be this annoying. I guess he's the 'what he wants, he will get it' type.

Well, I can just give him the answer he's waiting for and he will get out from under my feet then. Yup, it's actually that simple.

"I honestly don't know," I simply shrugged, then looked at his face to see his reaction.

I held back a smirk when he gave me one of those surprised looks. He frowned as if he found my answer quite ridiculous and his mouth was ajar, giving me a chance to look its insides. I added with raised eyebrows and a mocking smile, "Too bad, but at least you got the answer you so desired. Well, Sasuke, I'll take my leave then."

I stepped to the side and took a step forward when he muttered, "Liar."

"Excuse me?" I scowled.

Sasuke glared at me this time, "You lied. It's quite obvious that you gave me that fake answer just so you could be rid of me. You know something, but you don't want to tell me. I've known you for more than four years, Ayuda, so you could say that I know you well enough to know you're lying."

He claimed that I'm a liar, and now he's telling me he knows me well enough?

"Whatever, Sasuke. And if you think you know me quite well, then you're deadly wrong. You don't know a bit of information about me. If you do, then those must be rumors. But, in fact, I do know something about you," I leaned closer to his face to try to intimidate him. I whispered, "You're the boy who almost got killed in the Land of Waves."

I watched with a satisfied grin as Sasuke's eyes widened as large as saucer plates. He must be all agog that I surprisingly knew of his verge-of-death moment.

"I must say that I am glad to see you here in one piece. Hmph," I spun around and walked off with a proud smirk.

That's when I heard a dark chuckle coming from the same boy. I was intrigued so I came to a halt and spun around to face him again. I was a meter away from him. My eyes narrowed, "What are you laughing at?"

He replied, "I may not know you well enough, but... I do gain one information about you, and I assure you and to myself that this is not a false rumor."

I frowned. What's he playing at now?

He took a few steps closer and when he did, he told me smugly, "Your parents set you up in a marriage, am I right?"

Sasuke's P.O.V

My back was roughly shoved to a wall and a hand clamped around my lips. I blinked my eyes twice when I registered everything; Ayuda hastily pushed me into an empty, dark alleyway after I mentioned the one thing that seemed to trigger something in her.

I looked down and sure enough, this girl stood before me. Her head turned to every direction to ensure that no one but us were here. It seemed like she wanted to keep secret of her marriage. When she was fully assured that we were alone, she finally gazed at me with furrowed eyebrows. She withdrew her hand from my mouth and began to bombard me with questions.

"Why... how do you know that? Did someone tell you? Did you tell someone else about this? Naruto and Sakura doesn't know about this, right? I swear, if you tell-"

I cut her off, "Calm down. I haven't told anyone yet and no one informed me about this."

"Then how do you know?" she asked, her purple eyes staring at me intensely as if searching for the answer in my eyes.

I was about to give my answer when I realized that she still hadn't told me of how to get me participate in the Chuunin Exam. I smirked when an idea occurred to me. I glanced back down at the girl who still stared at me. Confusion managed to creep into her eyes when she noticed my smirk.

"I honestly don't know," I imitated her answer.

Ayuda's eyebrows raised and her mouth was slightly ajar. I supposed this was how I looked like when she told me her fake answer. Before I could take in her surprised look, her expression was immediately replaced into an angry one. She must've figured out that I was messing with her. Well, she lied to me, I guess. So I decided to do the same so she could have a taste of her own medicine.

I added, "I will tell you if only you tell me how to register in the exam."

She rolled her eyes and backed away from me, "Sasuke, I was telling the truth. I don't know how to get you in the exam. Shiori-sensei informed us about the forthcoming exam and told us we are qualified enough to register. That's all there is to it."

So she was telling the truth after all. Her voice and expression told me she was being sincere and I could not detect something suspicious in both.

"Have you registered then?" I inquired.

She shook her head twice, "No. She told us she will give us application forms that need to be filled by those who wish to enter the exam. We still haven't got it yet."

I silently sighed. I heard nothing about Chuunin Exam from Kakashi. I bet he knew about this upcoming exam, but he did not want to tell us about this. Why? Was it because he thought we're not strong enough? Was it because he worried about us? Was it because we do not have the qualifications to participate? Wait. What are the qualifications, I thought.

I glanced at Ayuda and asked solemnly, "What are the qualifications to participate in the Chuunin Exam?"

Ayuda's pupils went upward as if recalling what their teacher told her that day, "Shiori-sensei said that genins who have completed eight or more missions are fit for the exam. The team leaders are the only ones who can decide if they are ready."

"Hn," I frowned, "We have completed missions more than enough. I bet Kakashi thinks we're not ready yet."

Ayuda chimed in, "Maybe he is worrying about you three."

"Why would he? We can take care of the Chuunin Exam on our own."

"Maybe he doesn't want the history to repeat itself again. For example, when you almost died in your A-rank mission."

I averted my gaze from her and asked with strained voice, "How do you know that? Did Kakashi tell you?"

"I was staying in Shiori-sensei's house and Kakashi visited us that day," she elucidated, "He told us about you and your team taking a C-rank mission which turned out to be an A-rank one. He also included the part when you were on the verge of death."

That man. He should have not told them about it, especially Ayuda since she's my rival. I was embarrassed and felt weak if she knew that I was nearly killed by my opponent. She would mock me and tease me about it until she's satisfied.

"Anyway," I turned to look at Ayuda who crossed her arms with an indignant look on her face, "you got all the answers you wanted, now give me mine. How do you know about my arranged marriage?"

I answered with a straight face, "I was eavesdropping on the conversation Kakashi and Shiori had a few days ago."

"K-Kakashi knows about this, too? Shiori-sensei probably told him," Ayuda frowned and looked down to the ground. With a timid voice, she asked, "How much do you know?"

"All I know is that your parents arranged all of this and you are paired with someone called Neji Hyuuga."

"I see..." she sighed with closed eyes.

There was an uneasy atmosphere around us. We were still in the same alley, unmoving from our spots. I took this moment to contemplate on Ayuda.

The girl I was looking at was going to marry. My rival was going to marry with someone from the Hyuuga Clan. Judging from her reactions, she must've hated all of this. That's why she wanted to keep this as a top secret. If she loves this, then she will elatedly spread the news herself and won't shove me into a dark alley if I mention it.

"Say, are you engaged now?" I awkwardly asked.

She snickered as if she found it hard to believe, "No. But I will after the Chuunin Exam ends. And I will marry him when I am 18 or above."

That's too early, I thought.

Ayuda's P.O.V

I shifted uncomfortably under Sasuke's intense gaze. Why was he looking at me like that? He was staring at me thoughtfully ever since we talked about my arranged marriage.

I didn't know that Kakashi knew about my marriage. Shiori probably told him since they were nearly close friends. I hoped that Kakashi wouldn't spread the news all over the village. I also hoped that he and Shiori would discuss about it secretly. Because of their carelessness, Sasuke found out about it.

Out of all people, it was my rival who heard them. I obviously didn't know what was going on in Sasuke's head ever since he heard of it. I thought, he would probably think that I deserve this and would tease me and mock me about this until he's satisfied. I felt humiliated. I was hoping for Sasuke to be a good person and don't tell a single soul about this news for my sake.

I really wanted to tell Sasuke that, but I felt like I could trust him on this. He looked like the type to mind his own business and won't spread someone else's problems to everyone. I sighed. I hoped he is that kind of type, I thought.

Sensing that there was nothing more to say, I gazed at the Uchiha and spoke up, "Well then, I'll be on my way then. I don't want to lose to Gaara and Neji Hyuuga so I have to improve myself as much as I can before the Chuunin Exam starts."

Sasuke blinked his onyx eyes at me, "Neji Hyuuga is participating too?"

"Yeah. I'll take my leave now, Sasuke," I bowed my head slightly before spinning around and walked away from the alley.

I went to the direction where the training ground was located. I realized that my shoulders were tensed, probably because of my arranged marriage topic in conversation I had with Sasuke. I brought my right hand up to my left shoulder and massaged them firmly.

That's when I saw a blue object on the corner of my right eye. I thought it was just my imagination and decided to ignore it and looked ahead. But the blue object was still there. I could still see it on the corner of my eye. What was it? Whatever it was, it seemed to be following me.

Unable to contain my curiosity, I turned my head to the side. I came face-to-face with Sasuke and I nearly jumped out of my skin. We were walking side by side and I blurted out, "Why are you following me?"

Sasuke looked straight ahead and responded, "I'm not following you. I am merely heading to the same training ground with the same purpose as yours."

"But there's no guarantee yet that you get to join the Chuunin Exam," I said as I looked ahead of us.

He said he had the same purpose as mine. My purpose was to go to the training ground and worked on my skills so I was strong enough to defeat as many participants as I can in the exam, especially Gaara and Neji. If Sasuke had the same intention like he said, then I was bewildered because we were not sure yet if he could participate in the exam.

"That won't stop me from improving myself."

I chuckled lowly, "Hn."

When we reached to the training ground, we took different spots and practiced our skills. While we're practicing, we didn't talk at all and just minded our own businesses. I actually liked it this way. He did not interfere me, I did not interfere him. It went just like that and we had eventually gotten used to one another's presences... well, it's more like I had gotten used to his presence. I didn't know about him whether he felt the same or not.

When I was exhausted, I took a short rest and watched Sasuke practicing his Sharingan. He would occasionally try to improve his Fire Jutsu and taijutsu. He could sense that I was watching him the entire time but he didn't pay any heed to me.

While I was taking it easy, I was aware that I was parched; my throat became dehydrated after all of those training. So I told Sasuke that I had to go to town to buy drinks and volunteered to buy his too if he wants. He replied by silently handing me a short amount of money but enough to buy a drink. I set off to town and bought two bottles of water. One for me, one for that boy.

I returned to the training ground to see the same boy doing the same thing. I put down Sasuke's bottle under a tree that was closed to him. I went to my spot afterwards and drank the water from the battle. When I recovered enough energy, I carried on with improving my archery skills.

Ten minutes later, out of the corner of my eye, I could see Sasuke sat down under the tree somewhere behind me. He picked up the bottle and drank it. He must be worn out, I thought.

His eyes were burning holes on my back but I chose to ignore him. I treated him the same way he did when I watched him practicing. Because of his fixed gaze, my concentration was wavering slightly. Despite this, I uninterruptedly worked on my techniques. At some point, I gradually habituated myself to Sasuke's steady stare. Seven minutes later, the Uchiha got up and picked up where he'd left off. We continuously went on like that without words spoken to each other.

One hour before the sun set, a thought of 'stop training and return home' had crossed my mind. I paused to take a secret glance at Sasuke. He was still perfecting his skills, but I noted that the constant training tuckered him out. He looked so dead-tired that if he takes a short rest and closes his eyes for fifteen seconds, he will unconsciously fall into deep slumber.

'I'll continue practicing until he stops,' I thought, 'Wait... I sound like I want to be the last one standing.'

As I resumed practicing, I heard pants coming from Sasuke. I had just realized that he had stopped polishing his Fire Jutsu and Sharingan a few minutes ago and now he's focusing in taijutsu. He probably drained most of his chakra and was trying his best to land blows after blows on the bark of a tree. I was perplexed. Why was he not stopping? If he continues, he will faint with fatigue.

That's when I noticed him taking a glance at me. My eyes widened in recognition. That look... that challenging look... was the same as the gaze he gave me back at the academy... when we wanted to be the last one standing. Could it be that he wanted to go home earlier but after seeing me still having the energy to train myself, he then acted like he's fine and resumed practicing? So he could be the last one standing? So he could win against me, his rival?

'Is he insane? He's nearly losing consciousness and he still wants to beat me?' I thought. I spun around to face my body towards him and called out, "Hey! You can call it a day now! You looked dead beat, Sasuke! If you continue any further, you will collapse!"

Sasuke answered through his harsh pants with strained voice and a weak smirk, "I should be the one to say that to you. You look worn out, too."

I frowned. He was still persistent to be the last one standing. I rarely used my chakra (I still didn't know how to transmit my chakra with my arrows) so I had enough chakra to practice more for fifteen minutes, but Sasuke... he used chakra a lot such as in Fire Jutsu and also Sharingan. Now he had consumed nearly all of his chakra so he proceeded with taijutsu. But taijutsu needs physical energy and if Sasuke uses that up as well, he will faint. I was sure of it. And he's still stubborn!

I bit my lower lip. I thought to myself, 'Yes, I am his rival and as his rival, I don't want to be defeated by him. But seeing him in this state, panting and his hair sticking up on his face because of all those sweats... I'm starting to worry about him...'

"Fine!"

I crossed my arms defiantly and his eyes shifted to me. I added, "I am tired as well! Let's call it a day, shall we?!"

I made the first move by sitting down on the ground and huffed, somehow upset that I surrendered voluntarily. I still had my arms crossed over my chest. I perceived that Sasuke's eyes widened and I saw a twinge of relief in it. Suddenly, his onyx eyes rolled upwards, his overexerted body loosened up instantaneously and let himself taken over by the gravity. Shit, he's going to fall!

I sprinted towards the falling boy that instant. When his head was eight inches away from the ground, I placed my left hand on the back of his head and my other arm went under his back to support him. I sighed. I managed to prevent him falling to the ground just in time.

Slowly, I bent down until I was kneeling and rested Sasuke under the closest tree as gently as I can. He leaned against the bark of the tree. When I withdrew my arms from him, I felt my palms were slightly sticky with moistures. I grunted in disgust. It must be his sweats, I thought.

I looked back to his face. His eyes were mildly open and stared into the open space ahead of him. He hadn't lost his consciousness completely. I got up to pick up his bottle of water. I turned the lid around to open it and waved it in front of his face.

His hand rose to grab it and guzzled it down until no water was left in the bottle. He dropped it next to him and sighed. I spoke up, "You're too troublesome, you know. You owe me a favor."

I could see that he wanted to retort right then and there but then he closed his lips and sighed through his nose. I backed away from him and leaned against a tree that was located two meters away from him. We remained silent just like that.

A few minutes had passed and we still hadn't move from our spots yet. I bet that Sasuke needed a long rest so he won't fall unconscious in the middle of the street when he's on his way to his apartment. I simply waited for him. He probably needs my help because of how exhausted he is, I thought.

"Ayuda, there you are!" a familiar voice caused me to jump out of my skin.

My eyes widened to see Shiori practically jogging towards us. I noticed she was holding a piece of paper in her hand. She regarded Sasuke with a quick smile and huffed at me, "I've been looking everywhere for you! Here!"

She handed me the white sheet of paper. I took it and read the title. I widened my eyes and gasped in shock, "This is... the application form for the Chuunin Exam!"

Shiori nodded her head excitedly at me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Sasuke silently got up to rush to my side. He suddenly got the energy when it comes to Chuunin Exam. Once he reached me, his head leaned closer to my shoulder and read it from there. Shiori added, "I already gave Kaito and Kazuki these forms. You can fill it tonight! Do not lose it because you need to hand it over to the people in charge during the exam."

"I see..." my voice trailed away.

Shiori shifted her gaze to Sasuke, "And Sasuke!"

Sasuke lifted his head up to look directly at Shiori. He held a questioning gaze. She continued, "Fret not, Sasuke. Kakashi recommended your squad to participate in the Chuunin Exam."

Upon listening to her words, Sasuke's eyes gradually widened. Before he could respond, Shiori beat him to it, "He will give you and your teammates the forms tomorrow, so don't forget to bring a pen if you want to fill it right then and there!"

Hmm... so Kakashi also allowed them to participate in the exam too, huh? I bet Sasuke was delighted in the inside upon hearing it. Although he tried to remain straight-faced since he had so much pride in him, I could faintly discern a small smirk on his face. Great, he probably couldn't wait for the exam to start and see Gaara and those who he thought were worthy enough to challenge him. He wanted to show off his 'amazing' Uchiha talents too. Pfft.

"Anyway, what are you two doing here?" Shiori's voice snapped me out of my deep thought. I was still sitting down on the ground so I had to look up at my teacher. She furrowed her eyebrows as if contemplating about something while she glanced at me, then Sasuke, then me, and lastly Sasuke.

Suddenly, her eyes widened as if realization hit her like a slap in the face. She then narrowed her eyes and smirked at the clueless Sasuke and I. Oh no, I know that look...

"Are you two..." she leaned closer to our faces, "...dating?"

I felt my face warmed slightly and my eyes widened as saucers. After registering her words into my head, my face was contorted into a somewhat disgusting look at the idea. I heard Sasuke scoffed incredulously next to me and when I turned to look at his reaction, I noticed very-faint blushes were forming on his cheeks. Then he pointed his pointy finger at me and said with a frown, "Why would I be dating with someone like her? Everything about her is unappealing."

An angry vein throbbed on my forehead. Everything about me is unappealing, huh? I couldn't deny that I was vaguely offended by his words, but I should say the same thing about him too. Two can play the game, Sasuke...

"Well, everything about you is unattractive, too!" I glared at him, "I mean everything about you, especially your hair."

Sasuke raised an eyebrow, "What's wrong with my hair?"

I snickered, "Your hair resembles a duck's butt, you know. It's strange that no one told you about it. Well, now you know the ugly truth. And..." I paused as I made a 'tch' sound, "...your sweats are still sticky in my fingers."

"So?" Sasuke deadpanned, "Wash your hands then."

I was about to retort when Shiori spoke first, "That's enough. Geez, can't you two be a little bit civil to one another?"

"No," Sasuke and I answered in unison. When we realized that we replied with the same answer at the same time, we glared at each other, and then we simultaneously spun around and crossed our arms over our chests.

I could hear Shiori muttered under her breath, "Seriously..."

Sasuke and I headed back to the town together with Shiori. We would bicker most of the time and Shiori would be the one to interrupt us to prevent anything bad happen to us. She feared that we would have argued to the point that we commence a duel and end up nearly killing each other again, just like that one time when I shot an arrow to his shoulder and Sasuke burnt my arms.

I was the first one to arrive home. The three of us stood in front of my house. I bid my farewell to Shiori and exchanged glares with Sasuke before I entered my house. I quickly rushed to a window and watched them sauntered to a same direction until their figures faded into the distance.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

534K 19.2K 190
BOOK ONE | 87 Chapters | She's the girl who can't seem to have others keep their eyes off her. Not cause she's attractive, but because she isn't. She...
261K 9.9K 44
This takes place a month after the fourth shinobi war. A few people were given a second chance at life, those people being the previous Hokages; Hash...
184K 7.1K 72
Sasuke Uchiha has just reencountered with Naruto after first seeing Sakura and Kakashi after a while: "Why are you fixated on me?! Why do you care?!"...
31.9K 1.2K 19
"Love is friendship, if she can't be my bestfriend then I can't love her." Sasuke said, turning around to wink at Karin. And that's when I realized...