Rose Red (An Avengers Fanfict...

By VeraChendra

"Look at it this way, you been given an opportunity to turn over a new leaf. You can either push it to the si... More

Prolouge
1
2
3
4
A/N
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
A/N
17
18
19
20
21
22
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
Epilogue
Extra #1
Extra #2
Extra #3

23

12.8K 364 225
By VeraChendra

The days passed by since I had come back. 

My visitations with Dr. Franz continued but I was not allowed back missions. I was way too fucked up to even go back on missions so it was basically back to square one great. I knew that they just wanted to distract me from searching for my siblings (who were probably cultivating a new plan since the last one was a bust) but I was bored out of my mind.

It had been the first time in four years that New York City had been attacked by aliens and nobody was happy about that. Especially the Avengers who drove back the attack in time and foiled the giant time bomb with a virus before it could go off.

I didn't even bother trying to work on my powers. 

Wanda tried to help me. Tried being the key word. 

Natasha and Bucky didn't stop their training. Since I had made a point where I didn't want to just depend on my powers for missions they had increased my training. Natasha was in charge of my combat training while Bucky supervised my weapons training. Sometimes Steve stepped in or Clint, although Clint just made me do laps around the gym while he ate something and provided 'motivational support' from the sidelines.

Days where I was free, I spent either doing errands or dealing with Loki who liked to sulk in my room. 

"I'm bored," Loki repeated for the nth time today.

I didn't blame him but I had work to do. I was reviewing security tape for Nat.

Trix sat on my desk lamp and pecked at the breadcrumbs on my plate. She chirped loudly before she flew over to Loki, nestling on his shoulder.

"Then read a book." I said without taking my eyes off the computer screen. 

"I've done that. I'm still bored." He scowled at Trix, gently pushing the bird off his shoulder. She flew back to me, chirping into my ear as if she was complaining about Loki. I gently petted her as she nuzzled my hair. 

"Go outside and smell the roses. You need fresh air."

"There is no garden, Maya. This is a city. What is this fresh air you speak of?"

His sarcasm was going to be the death of him. That is if I don't kill him first and right now, I'm considering it. I wondered if Loki could save himself with magic if I was to 'accidentally' throw him out of the window.

"Prank someone. I'd appreciate it if you could prank Pietro. Wanda probably wouldn't mind."

"Dull and I've already done that. The speedster is not fond of tar."

An interesting story for another time.

"Television?" I suggested.

"I've already watched all Doctor Who, Sherlock, Merlin and Orphan Black."

"You've only watched BBC." I stated. "Internet?"

"I have no patience to deal with that human cesspool." He said. "Your primitive human technology is really no feat for me."

I took a deep breath in and tried not to snap at Loki. I could understand his cabin fever but bugging me about it wasn't going to do much about. He would have to get off his Asguardian ass and do something about it.

"Then what do you want to do?" I asked, feeling suddenly as if I was talking to a child.

"I don't know," he sighed again.

"You're like a needy girlfriend."

"I am not." Loki scowled. 

"Sure."

"I am bored!" He said once more as he got up to pace. "Bored!"

"Calm down, Sherlock."

"Shut up, Watson."

I gave him a pointed look before returning to my laptop. The room fell silent except for the sound of Loki as he paced. After a while he stopped in front of me. I looked up at him with mild impatience.

"What?"

"It's nearly two in the afternoon." He said. "Isn't this when human are close to 'crashing' or something like that?

"You just want coffee, don't you?" I said dryly, crossing my arms over my chest. "If you want coffee then just fucking say that you want coffee, Goat Boy."

"Perhaps."

"Don't beat around the bush, Loki. I'm not feeling patient."

"Don't be so rude, Maya."

"Do you want coffee or not?" I huffed. "Vexing me will not end well."

"Yes."

I placed the files on my desk and got up. "We'll go and get some coffee but don't tell the other Avengers." I grabbed my coat as Loki grabbed his that hung off the chair he was sitting on.

I placed Trix into her box before I left the room. She chirped in protest, wanting to come with me.

"Sorry, Trix. You're not well enough to go out."

"Leave your pet and let's go, Midguardian."

"It's Maya, asshat."

"I don't care."

With a snap of his fingers, he had changed his attire. It was odd seeing him in normal clothing.

He wore a black button down shirt and some slacks. I'll never say this to his face but he looked like he was in an emo band.  He threw on his overcoat and added on a green scarf because it was cold.

My attire for the day was just a dark blue sweater and some jeans. The coat I had was pure black along with a polka dot scarf that Pepper gave me. It was surprisingly warm and soft.

"Hey, FRIDAY!"

"Yes, Maya?"

"I'm heading out for coffee."

"Mr. Stark has asked for you to bring him an latte and Captain Rogers a bagel. That is all."

How the hell did he know? On second thought, nevermind. I don't want to even know.

"Thank you, FRIDAY."

--------

Tuesday afternoon in New York City was idle, less hustle and bustle as the morning.

There was a strong breeze passing through the city, warning it's citizens that fall would give way to winter eventually. The both of us walked into a small coffee shop just a couple of blocks away from the Avengers tower.

"I want an espresso." Loki said without hesitation. "Stark once described coffee as heaven although I'm not sure how that correlates to Valhalla."

Taking the God of Lies and Mischief, the man who tried to take over this city, to a coffee shop?

Oh, yes.

That sounded like a brilliant plan.

"Then ask for one."

"How do you do that?"

I sighed for the hundredth time that day. Of all people Loki chose to be acquainted with, he chooses me. I'm not gonna say that I'm not flattered but the only shared interest that the both of us shared was our love for books and intimidating others. Other than that, what else did we have to talk about?

And at this moment Loki was being a little shit by acting innocent. He did that when he wanted me to do something for him. Most of the the time I told him to fuck off however I wanted coffee. I've been slowly developing a taste for it ever since I came back from my little 'vacation' as Stark would put it.

"Find a seat," I said. Loki looked around confused and then walked to a nice window seat located off in a corner. I turned to the cashier  ordering an espresso, a latte, a bagel and a regular coffee for me.

"What your name?"

"Maya," I said.

"Alrighty!" The barista said in a way too cheery voice. Must have been a college kid trying her best to earn some tips. I didn't blame her but I definitely couldn't do what she did every single day. "We'll have your order ready soon!"

"Thanks," I said, leaning against the wall to the side.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. I fished it out to check who decided to text me. The thing is that nobody really texted me except Natasha, usually she adds a smiley face at the end.

"Back corner, next to the book shelves."

"Congrats." I texted back. "You've learned how to master our primitive Midguardian devices."

"Ever so sarcastic."

"I can see you typing, Loki."

"Maya!" The barista called my name. I put my phone in my back pocket and grabbed the paper bag and coffee.

I headed towards the corner of the cafe where Loki sat, staring out of a window at the everyday streets of New York City.

I passed him his espresso as I took a small sip of my coffee.

There was a comfortable silence between the both of us. Before there was this awkward tension that anyone could cut through but it eventually gave way to an unstable yet peaceful silence.

Of course, there were our usual quips. It wasn't a secret that we didn't get along but I liked it this way. I liked this unstable peace we had. 

I really don't know why, I just did. Sometimes there doesn't have to be a reason at all. 

"What are you thinking about?" I asked.

"And what concern is it to you?" He replied absentmindedly.

"Just trying to be polite." I rolled my eyes. I was already used to his drama queen ways. 

"You're strange." he said, turning his eyes back to me.

"Yeah, well you're an asshole."

Loki chuckled. "That was a compliment."

"It didn't sound like one."

He went back to staring at the city while taking a sip once in a while. There was a faraway look in his eyes that made him look wistful in a way. I wonder what he was thinking about with an expression like that. 

"What was your father like?" He asked out of the blue, his eyes still trained on the city. "The so-called psycho you refuse to talk about?"

"And what concern is that to you?" I mimicked as I looked up from my drink. "Were...were you reading my mind again, Loki?"

"Don't be ridiculous. I could easily access your memories but I chose to be polite and ask you about the matter." Loki said. "I'm trying to be civil. You should try to be as well, Maya."

I didn't doubt it. I knew he would sift through my mind. He had the power to do it. 

"I don't want to talk about it. I think I'm made that all too clear."

"Is that what you mortals call a sore subject?"

He was teasing me, poking me with a stick. Trying to look for a weakness. I've seen men like him underestimate women like me. It doesn't end well at all.

ah......There was the unstable part of the peace I was talking about.

"I suggest you leave it alone."

"Or what?" There was that irritating little smirk on his face. "How about this? I'll tell you what's on my mind since it seems important to you and you'll tell me all about your dearest father. What do you say, pet.  Deal?"

"Fine. Tell me," I said. "And I'm not your fucking pet, asshat. I told you to call me Maya."

"I was thinking about what would I have done to this city once I've conquered it, Maya." he said with a shit eating grin. I sent him a glare. "Fine! I was thinking how a person like you with so much power could just let it slip away. Instead of putting it to use, you squander it and let these people cage you. It's such a waste really. Imagine all the things you could do with it."

I knew that wasn't what he was thinking about but I let it slide. 

"That's because I don't want anybody else to suffer. I've seen enough, I don't want to see anymore." I said, gritting my teeth. "And to answer your question, my father was--is-- a monster."

Loki was quiet for a second as his eyes never moved away from mine.

"You're so much like me, aren't you?" He finally said as he regarded me with interest as the angry red in my cheeks died down. Loki leaned his against the palm of his hand with a light smile. "Do you really think you are a good person, Maya? Do you think that just because you associate yourself with the Avengers that it makes you righteous? You are no different from me. We're both looking for redemption but not for the reasons that people think."

If there was one thing he was wrong about, it was that.

I'm a decent person, not a good one. I'll give him that but only that. However he's wrong about everything else and that pissed me off how he could just assume that.

I took a deep breath in and out.

It was a good thing he found a booth away from prying eyes because I grabbed him by his stupid silk scarf and pulled him closer to my face so that I could see the specks of blue in his green irises.

"Let's get one thing straight," I growled softly as I stared into his widened eyes. "I am nothing like you. You threw everything away to chase some fantasy so that you could have all the glory for a throne which you didn't even get. You manipulate and kill and lie to get what you want. You think you're above everyone else because you are a god and we're below you just because we're not as powerful as you. Well I got some news for you, pal. You're just a fucked up grade A sociopath who has a couple of daddy issues so cry a river, build a bridge, and get the fuck over it."

I let him go and sat back in my seat.

"You know nothing about me, Loki." I hissed. "And you never will. Not with that attitude." 

Loki sat there, slightly wide eyed and jaw open. I've never laid a hand on him before so this was the first time I snapped at him. Loki sat there with the same expression as I reined in my anger and frustration. 

I'm not like him.

Not at all.

I got up grabbing the stuff I bought and left the coffee shop without looking back. 

There goes the unstable peace. 

A/N: Welp. There goes that. What do you think? Is Loki right or is he just being a sore grump? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.7K 587 39
[Completed] *Not Edited* "Just like budapest?" "In other words we all remember budapest very differently!" "Don't you say it don't you say it!" "On y...
52.8K 1.7K 61
B12. That was what HYDRA had called her ever since she had been snatched from her parent's grasps at the young age of 4. She had been experimented on...
2.3K 155 21
Bucky Barnes wasn't the only one taken by Hydra. After a series of unfortunate events that left your future plans in crumbles Hydra steps in with wha...
2.7K 29 19
She has always stood in the shadow of her brother never been able to show her wiseness to her father. But when time threatens she slowly comes out fr...