13

"Maya!" Dr. Franz said as he saw me. "So good to see you again. How are you?"

"I'm okay," I said.

I really didn't want to be here yet here I was laying down on a chair and attending a session with my psychiatrist trying to fix my fucked up mind.

"So......what do you want to talk about?" He asked as he wiped his glasses.

"I have no idea, Doc."

"That's not how these work, Maya. You tell me what's bothering you and I tell you how to take care of it," he said. "Do you like music?"

"Depends."

"Classical Jazz?"

"Sure" I shrugged. "It's your office."

He pressed play on the remote and the sounds of jazz drifted through the room. It was faint in the background blending in with the smell of vanilla and the calm white walls of this room.

"Let's start over. What particular incident caused you to come to my office?"

"Where to start?" I mused. "I'm sure Agent Richards and Romanoff briefed you on why I'm here."

"Well.....from the beginning."

"Rhetorical but okay. Let's see. I'm here because my supervision field officer and my S.O. think that I'm too unstable to be out in the field just because I froze once during a mission."

"I'm sensing tension," he said. "Do you think that's true?"

"More like irritation," I scoffed. "And regrettably, yes."

"So we know why you're irritated and what caused that irritation but what I'm more interested in is what made you freeze," he said as he scribbled down some notes. "I did say that you have slight PTSD and in most cases, people with PTSD can be triggered by certain events."

"So you're asking me if I saw something?"

"Yes," he said.

"Actually, I saw someone." He remained quiet, urging me to continue. I knew I had no choice but to come clean about it. "His name is Amid Anwar and he's a jackass who caused me way too much trouble in the past."

"Was he abusive towards you?" Dr. Franz' eye flickered up for a moment. "Is he the reason behind your phobia?"

"Verbally," I admitted. "Sometimes physically and no, he's not."

"Boyfriend?"

"No," I said. "Not even."

"Family, perhaps?"

"In a way. Can we not talk about it? It's not exactly one of my favorite topics. Let's just say that my family and this Amid guy don't get along so well."

"Okay. We'll deal with that issues later," he said. "How about your phobia? How's that working out? Are you doing what I told you to do?"

"It's getting better. I was able to go to a social gathering recently, although it was a mission so I don't think it counts." I couldn't help but scowl at my lack of progress. "Okay. You know what? There is one thing that is bothering me that I want to get off my chest."