The Anthem Force Chronicles

By hollyorange

Being a teenager is hard enough. Try balancing friends, school, and crushes all while saving the world on the... More

"Not all of us can fly you know."
"Suprised to see me Ice Queen?"
"Best Two Out of Three?"
"A bad guy? What are we five?"
"I'm no damsel."
"Dang you're heavy."
"I don't avoid crime, I go looking for it."
"Feisty. I like it."
"Show Off"
"The Stone of Crouton"
"Really not such a bad guy."
"Completely powerless"
"Everything's Just Great."
"It was supposed to be simple"
"Potatoes tomatoes"
"If anything become the hero"
"Something was seriously wrong"
"This is your esteemed hero"
"Did we win?"
"No more levitating Dante"
Tournament of Heroes- Volume II
Chapter 1- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 2- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 3- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 4- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 5- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 6- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 7- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 8- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 9- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 10- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 11- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 12- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 13- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 14- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 15- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 16- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 17- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 18- Tournament of Heroes
Hero Rising - Volume lll
New Beginnings
Blast from the Past.
Old Acquaintances
Ignition
Revelations
Rally
Conquest
Nightmares
Journey
Break Down
Perfect
The Calm Before the Storm
Insight
Flashpoint
Homefront
War
No Man's Land
Endgame
Go!
Legacies - Volume lV
Graduation Day
Of Monsters and Men
New Kid in Town
Family Ties
X
Down to Business
Date Night
The Hunt
Divide and Conquer
Infiltrators
New Moon
The Gala
Damaged
Betrayal
True Colors
Secrets
The Reckoning
Acme
The Big Bad
Epilogue

"Once again to save the day"

7.8K 436 51
By hollyorange

One month later

“Will you just hold still,” Jenna growled.

“Nope, you insisted on doing this against my will so I’m going to make it difficult for you,” I started shaking my head even more, just to annoy her.

“I’m going to end up burning you,” she grumbled, wrapping another piece of my hair around the curling iron.

I crossed my arms, which were only recently cast free, “Fine.”

A few minutes of curling later Jenna scruffed her hands through my hair and sprayed it with an assortment of products. “There, you’re finished.”

I looked at my reflection in the mirror on the other side of my room, I had to admit Jenna did good work. “Thanks,” I smiled.

Jenna has insisted on coming over and doing my hair and makeup for the dance, apparently I couldn’t be trusted to get ready by myself. Despite the fact that Jenna had put way to much effort in making sure I looked perfect I was glad to have the company.

Jenna turned to do her own hair, her pink sweetheart-style dress swaying back and forth with each step she took.

I picked at my own outfit, a teal strapless number with just the faintest amount of shimmer and matching black pumps with little bows on them. 

“Stop that,” Jenna hissed, swatting my hand away with her free hand, “You look perfect, don’t mess it up.”

She curled a few more pieces of her blonde locks and then took a step back to stand beside me. “We look hot.”

I began to laugh but was interrupted by a knock at my window. We both looked to see Luke floating outside, tux and all, holding my corsage.

“No,” Jenna yelled, dashing to the window and closing the blinds, “No looking until she’s done, it’s bad luck.”

“Jenna it’s fine, it’s just homecoming, besides I think the whole bad luck thing is for weddings not dates.”

Jenna spread out her hands and blocked the way to the window, shaking her head. “No, just wait, you need one more thing. Don’t let him in or I’ll- I’ll hurt you.”

I couldn’t help but laugh at Jenna’s threat. “Alright,” I sighed, I raised my voice so Luke could hear, “Your going to have to wait, Jenna’s holding me hostage.”

“Do you want me to come in there, it might be a close fight but I think I can take her,” Luke’s voice called back.

“Don’t you dare Luke,” Jenna yelled, rushing to my closet and digging through the piles of clothes, knowing that there was no way she would really be able to stop Luke if he wanted in.

“What are you looking for?”

“This,” Jenna ran over and placed an object over my eyes. I looked in the mirror and it was my black Anthem Girl mask.

“Uh Jenna, what’s this for?”

“It’s a masquerade ball silly, you need a mask,” Jenna squealed, placing her own hot pink mardigras style mask on.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. “I look like Anthem Girl, formal edition.”

“Exactly,” Jenna said smugly as if this was her plan all along, “Ok you can come in now Luke.”

Luke stepped through the window. “Wow you look beautiful Dante,” he said, his eyes wide, “Oh and you too Jenna.”

“Thanks, you too,” I smiled. I looked him once over, he did look great. Then I realized something. “Hey, where’s your mask?”

“Ricky has it.”

“Where it he?” Jenna pouted, a look of worry spread across her face.

As if on cue the doorbell rang. We all walked over and sure enough it was Ricky.

“Dude, what took you so long? I saw your car pull up the same time I got here,” Luke teased, punching him on the arm.

Ricky rubbed the spot, “Sorry, we can’t all fly you know.”

“Tell me about it,” I mumbled, Luke slipped the corsage around my wrist and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

“Ricky!” Jenna squealed and pecked him on the cheek.

Ricky grabbed her by the hand and spun her around. “Jenna, dang you look hot.”

Jenna was smiling so big I thought her mouth was going to fall off. “Thanks babe, and don’t worry, you aren’t late, we’re still waiting for Brian to come pick us up.”

“I can’t see why I can’t just fly us there,” Luke mumbled into my ear.

“Because,” I whispered back,  “It’ll be more fun if we all go together.”

“Is Brian still going with Lexi?” Jenna asked, obviously hearing our conversation.

“Yep.” It was true, I guess Lexi’s plan to get with him worked out after all. I couldn’t say I was mad at Brian for giving in; Lexi had seemed different lately. She didn’t seem as if she was trying as hard now, she seemed more like she was being herself. I guess multiple near death experiences can change a person.

“Yay,” Jenna squealed, she loved any love story no matter the circumstances. 

………

“I love this song,” Jenna grabbed Ricky and dragged him to the dance floor as soon as we arrived.

Brian shook his head, “Ricky’s going to have his hands full.” Lexi who was grabbing onto his arm giggled.

“Don’t worry, you know he likes it,” Luke stepped in to defend my friend.

The student council had really overdid it. The whole gym was covered with streamers and banners but the big hit was the hired DJ who was already playing music.

I looked up at Luke, “Want to dance?”

Luke nodded and we made our way to the dance floor, Brian and Lexi following.

Luke was so coordinated it was unfair. He did an assortment of crazy dance moves while I kind of just bobbed back and forth to the beat.

I heard whispers from the kids around us but I couldn’t blame them, I was with Luke a.k.a. Superkid, town hero slash heartthrob. Then again, maybe they were just staring at me, Dante Caslon a.k.a. Anthem Girl. Now that the secret was out people were recognizing us everywhere.

When a slow song came on I placed my head in Luke’s chest and let him lead.

“Dante, I mean it, you look really beautiful tonight,” he whispered into my ear, “But that’s not really saying anything, you always look beautiful.”

            “Your so full of it,” I whispered.

            Luke laughed, “I mean it.”

            “Mmmhmm,” I mumbled.

            “What could I do to prove I’m being honest?”

            “I have an idea,” I whispered playfully.

 Luke raised an eyebrow, seeming to know where this was going. Right there in the middle of the dance floor he pulled me closer to him and started to kiss me. The moment was perfect. Despite I had never really known, this was everything I had always wanted. I pulled back and ran my fingers through his hair, he responded by twirling me around and dipping me back in his arms.

“Very smooth, I didn’t know you had it in you,” I teased.

“Well I-,”

We were interrupted by the beeping of our communicators going off in unison; across the dance floor I could hear two more.

Luke looked down at his, “Really? Now?”

“Can’t the city just stay saved for one?” I grumbled. We found our way to the middle of the dance floor, Brian and Ricky came too, dates in hand.

“There’s some sort of giant monster attacking the city,” Brian stated matter-of-factly, “We kind of need to go.”

“Is it just me or is Anthem on the verge of total destruction more then most cities?” Ricky laughed, pulling Jenna closer to him.

“Aw, do you have to go? I wanted to slow dance some more,” she gave him a puppy dog face. Ricky looked torn, not quite sure what to do. 

“Uh-,” he started, looking around for help.

“It’s ok Jenna,” Lexi stepped in, “We can dance until they get back. You guys go stop the giant monster.”

Ricky shot her a thankful look and we all walked outside, sure enough a dark figure loomed over the city.

“How long do you think this will take?” I asked Brian as we made all made our way to his car. I was hoping I could get one more dance in with Luke before the night ended.

“Maybe an hour, two tops,” Brian answered, I groaned.

“It could go quicker if you have some help.” All four of us turned to see two figures standing behind us.

“Hey Nightshade,” I smiled. I looked closer and realized that he was wearing jeans and a plain white t-shirt. It seemed weird compared to his normal all black ensemble.

“The name’s David by the way,” he reached out to shake my hand. I resisted the urge to laugh. I had always expected him to have some really tough guy name, like Thor or Axe. David seemed so normal.

I reached to shake his hand. “Nice to finally meet you David,” Alex, who was holding onto his arm, gave me a small wave.

            “So are you saying you want to be good guys now?” I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

“Good guys? Really Dante, what are we, five?”

Everyone started laughing much to my chagrin, even Alex let out a giggle which seemed foreign coming out of her lips.

“Fine, normally I’d get mad for that jab but you know the city’s kind of in peril and I’d like to get that finished up before the night is over.” I rolled my eyes.

“Wow if I knew the good guys kept such a tight schedule I never would have switched over,” David muttered into Alex’s ear, loud enough for us all to hear.

We all slid into Brian’s mustang, except Luke who flew beside us. Besides Alex and David we all were still in formal wear. Great, nothings more fun then fighting in a dress. I took off the heels and left them on the floor, I could barely walk in them let alone perform in combat. I was glad I was still wearing my mask though, even though the secret was out I felt oddly superstitious about it.

Brian zoomed out of the parking lot, too fast as always, determined to get downtown before too much trouble was caused.

 Ricky, who was riding shotgun, was playing with the radio trying to find the perfect pre-fight pump up song.

David still had his arm around Alex. I tried to ignore the natural chill in the air that hung around her and rubbed my arm for warmth. She mouthed an apology to me and I gave an awkward smile back, this was going to take some getting used to.

Luke was flying circles around the car, doing twists and flips just for fun. He made eye contact with me once or twice and would add an extra backflip in, trying to impress me.

I sat in the backseat enjoying the company of all my friends.

Everything had turned out ok; the bad guys lost and the good guys one. Just the way its supposed to be.

I smiled to myself as we drove off once again to save the day.

........

........

.........

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 82 19
Miranda (Mira) Parks is the only member of her family without super powers. Her older brother Jason, and younger sister Kelly both attend the school...
254K 12.7K 34
When you're a teenage undercover as a part-time superhero you have three options: You can pull on the nerd/geek high schooler or a bad boy/outcast ty...
51.8K 2.8K 24
Every city has its claim to fame and for the city of Cytropolis it's their superheroes. But unlike the cities of Gotham and Central City, this isn't...
166 0 17
**Title: "Blitz Davenport: Origins"** **Description:** Dive into the cosmic depths of "Blitz Davenport: Origins," a tale that traverses the very boun...