Going Up - Now On Amazon

By Xebbex

Sarah Jenkins is desperate to escape her tragic childhood. At 18 she runs from her abusive father finding wor... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Authors Note
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four - Nick POV
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four - Part One.
Chapter Thirty Four - Part Two
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven - Nick POV
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty - Nick POV
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Sequel Update
Going up on AMAZON!!!
Vote For Letting Go Please!!
Letting Go made the TOP TEN of So You Think You Can Write!!
Going Back! - New Book in the series.

Chapter Forty Three + Epilogue

172K 5.3K 1K
By Xebbex

Here it is.... the last chapter. I hope you like it!

When I woke Nick was already awake and standing by the closet. I yawned pathetically and sighed. I felt like I needed years of sleep to recover from the whirlwind few weeks I’d had.

“Morning Sunshine” Nick exclaimed turning around to face me. He had black trousers on, but from the waist up was still very much naked. From this angle, the light shone on his body and made him literally look like an Adonis. I closed my eyes, knowing that if I stared at his chest a moment longer my superficial side might just have to drag him back to bed.

“Morning” I groaned

“I’ve started making some coffee; I can bring you one if you like?” Nick suggested as he turned back to his closet. He grabbed out a crisp black button up shirt and put one arm through, then the other.

“I’d better get up”

Nick began buttoning up the shirt then closed the closet behind him.

“Alright” He replied as he walked toward the door “Then I can give you a ride back to your place”

“A ride? It’s a two minute walk”

“Cameras Sarah, Lots and lots of cameras.”

I frowned and nodded, that’s right. Last night had actually happened. Josh had actually turned out to be crazy, I’d shot him, and I’d kissed Nick in front of god knows how many cameras.

I’d also had a panic attack.

That damn panic attack had caught me off guard, even If the reasoning behind it warranted the reaction.

“Are you still okay with everything?”

“Yeah, I guess it’s just going to take a little getting used to. Oh and about last night, I’m sorry you had to see me freak out.”

“Please don’t apologise. This past few weeks have been an emotional overload. It’s completely understandable”

I shrugged and shot Nick a small smile. He was right, and I knew it.

“I’ll see you out there”

Nick left the room and I stretched like a starfish under the covers. If I’d been at home I would have forgone the coffee and let the heaviness of my eyes take over, until I drifted back into a deep peaceful sleep. I forced myself to sit up and let out a pathetic groan before swinging my legs out to the side of the bed. Once I was up I left the bedroom, sat with Nick at the table and sipped slowly on my coffee in the hopes it would eventually invigorate me.

Just before 9 we left, and as Nick had predicted, when we drove out of the car park, there were cameras waiting.

“Do you want me to ride up with you?” Nick asked as he pulled into the underground car park at my apartment. I stared out the window and shook my head

“You’re already running a bit behind time Nick.”

“I don’t care, as long as you’re safe”

“I’ll be fine, and I’ll see you in a couple of hours alright?”

“Alright, I’ll have my phone on me if you need anything”

“Okay” I smiled leaning in for a kiss “You know you’re going to get some funny looks today right”

Nick pressed his lips to mine, and as soon as the warmth in the pit of my stomach began to grow I pulled myself away. It was either that or suddenly change my mind and ask him to “ride” upstairs with me.

“Bye then” I exclaimed, as I removed the seatbelt and opened the car door.

“Bye Sarah”

Nick waited until I made it in to the elevator. Nerves slowly began to overtake me the closer I got to my apartment and it was somewhere around the 14th floor that I realised going  back alone just after Josh had abducted me was stupid. Still, I had to go up to get back down again, and even then I had nowhere to go. By now my face would be seen kissing Nick, and if I was to walk on the street especially this close to where paparazzi were already camped by Nick’s apartment.

I swallowed the rising anxiety and when the elevator stopped and the doors opened I gingerly walked across to my apartment. I unlocked the door and stepped inside. The cops at the warehouse the night before had mentioned needing to look through for evidence, so if there had been anything here. It was all gone now. After a thorough walk through each room my nerves began to fade away.

I was about to have a shower when I remembered the discussion Nick and I had just before falling asleep for the second time last night, the one about the serenading and the songs. They were still sitting in my bed side table drawer. I walked out of the bathroom and back into my bedroom. I sat down on the edge of the bed and slowly opened the small drawer. I stared down at the wad of paper and nervously unfolded it.

Unnamed

I never believe that true love existed

Until I held you in my arms

Now I have you, I don’t know how I missed it

Stone cold heart started to beat

But it’s true I’ve made a few mistakes in my life

I don’t want to bring you down

But living the lies I am only turns the knife

Starting to feeling like I’m running aground

Confusion and confliction flies out the door

When you walk in

Let’s run away with love, forget reality

I don’t need the recognition

Of celebrity

Let’s run away with life, forget clarity

We don’t need a road to follow

Let’s just be free.

The song was unfinished and it stopped just after the chorus. The lyrics had notes underneath them, so I had been humming as I read. The musician in me jumped up from the bed, I left the other three sheets of paper on the bed and ran down to the music room with the unnamed song.

I plugged my guitar in to the amp and began playing the song.

I ran through it a few times and really liked its direction, it was a slower song, and softer too. But it had enough edge to still be a rock song, and I was literally in love with it, possibly because it was about me. I’d surprise nick by finishing it, and asking Dj if it could be part of my debut album.

I folded the piece of paper up and placed my guitar back down. I walked back down to the bedroom and shoved the lone piece of paper into one of my jacket pockets in my closet then re-folded the other three and left them on top of my bedside table.

By 12 I’d finally showered and dressed. I’d just put a load of washing on when there was a Knock at the door. At first my heart rate begun to sped up. What if they’d released Josh on bail? What if he’d come back again. My common sense took over though and I moved from the washing machine and walked toward the door.

“Who is it?” I asked just be sure

“It’s Nick, I come with gifts in the form of pastries”

“You’ve been to see Andrea!” I shrieked opening the door like I’d not eaten for at least a decade. My mouth watered at the thought of eating one of those delicious pastries again.

I grabbed the box of food and stalked over to the table.

“Why how lovely to see you too baby” Nick teased as he made is way over

“Oh, Sorry… It’s just well Andrea’s pastries are rarer than kisses from you” I laughed opening the box.

Nick scoffed and walked behind me; he grabbed me around the waist and turned me around. Our faces were only a few inches apart. It never failed to amaze me that every time Nick held me my breathing would quicken, my heart rate would soar, and an inexplicable yet powerful surge would begin to move through me. Maybe it was the definition of “finding your perfect fit”, Maybe it was more scientific than that. It didn’t matter, what did matter was our love.

Nick grinned cheekily and went to kiss me, instead I grabbed a pastry from beside me and before he could place his lips on mine I put the pastry between us and took a big bite.

“Really?” He asked with a mock frown “I should call Andrea now, let her know you’ve picked her pastries over my kisses”

“I’ll dial if you’d like”

“You’re infuriating, but that’s part of why I love you” Nick laughed as he released me and sat down at the table

“Did you find those songs?”

“Yeah I did, Hang on I’ll go get them… and my guitar. I haven’t forgotten you know”

Nick smiled and nodded

“I didn’t forget either”

I took another bite of my pastry and placed it on the box lid. Then I half skipped down the hallway to the bedroom. I left the half written song in my jacket pocket but grabbed the other three that sat on my bedside table, I grabbed my acoustic guitar, which was sitting inside my closet and walked back down to the living room.

“There you go Casanova. Serenade away”

Nick unfolded the sheets of paper and looked through them, he frowned then looked up at me

“There was an unfinished one here, it’s the only one I liked enough to put music too” he said sadly

Part of me wanted to admit to having it, but I’d already decided on the surprise, and I didn’t really want to back out now.

“Oh, sorry I only have these three”

“Damn, Oh well. These other three are a cheesy read. Some kind of pop boy band would do well to sing them the way I’ve written them”

I glanced over the word and nodded. He was right, they were cheesy, and with the write music would be catchy and popular with the vast teenage crowds if a pop band were to sing them. I smiled and stood up from my seat and sat down on Nick’s lap.

“So you can’t serenade me today then”

“To hell I can’t” He laughed “I still remember the lyrics and music to the other song”

“Oh well, in that case” I smiled moving back off Nick’s lap and in to my own seat.

He picked up the guitar and began playing the music.

I guess I didn’t really expect him to have an amazing voice. I guess I’d figured that he was of the “if you can’t do, teach” variety. So when he opened his mouth and began singing the song I’d read earlier in the day my mouth almost dropped open in shock.

He didn’t need to propel others in to stardom at all, he was more the well equipped with his own set of pipes. When he finished smiled and clapped

“Remind me why you’re a talent agent CEO and not a world famous musician instead?”

Nick smiled back at me and the looked down as he placed the guitar down.

“I don’t really have a reason; I just enjoy what I do more.”

“Fair enough, still you’re not getting off that easy. Now you’ve started serenading me, I’m going to find increasingly ridiculous reasons to make you sing.”

“That’s fine by me” Nick laughed

“So was our kiss spread publically over the interwebs?” I mused

“Actually, I was asked about it four times before I got to my desk this morning. In fact, I was a little more disturbed that even my workers were more concerned with a kiss, when I still look like I’ve been in a brawl and the news states that an altercation went down”

“Well, it’s kind of like a romance novel in a news article isn’t it” I laughed “It has a bit of everything. The audience is only going to be interested in the happy ending”

Nick smiled and nodded

“And they’re only getting the tip of the iceberg when it comes to us”

I stood up and began walking over to the kitchen bench where my laptop sat

“What are you doing?” Nick whispered softly

“Getting my computer, I want to see this kiss”

Nick stood up and walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist from behind. He rested his head on my shoulder as I opened the computer and booted it up. Once it logged in, I googled Nick’s name. Unsurprisingly, he was trending.

I clicked on one of the links, the page loaded instantly and the image of Nick and I took up most of the screen. I giggled nervously because seeing myself wrapped up in Nick’s arms like that was strange. Seeing myself splashed at the heading of a news article was strange. I closed the browser without reading the article; I didn’t need any extra nerve induced nausea.

“It’ll die down you know, a little”

“As long as I have you Nick. I don’t care”

“Ditto baby, Ditto”

Nick spun me around and cupped my face gently, our eyes connected for a few moments. Nick pressed his lips to mine, and I fell into him, mind and body.

It had been a whirlwind to get to this point, and it had never been easy, but it was worth it.

Epilogue

Around 1 year later.

“So I have a surprise for you” I murmured into Nick’s ear as we stood in the kitchen. Behind my back I held my new album song list, name and cover art. It had been hard keeping it a secret from him, especially with Dj coming over almost every night for the past month to work on it with me.

I hadn’t managed to get Nicks love song to me on to the last album. Once I’d finished it, and shown it to Dj and the other executives it was just too late. So instead we decided to make it a focal point of my second album, should I be so lucky as to make a second.

“Yes? I have one for you too actually” Nick whispered as he turned to face me.

I held out the album cover and let Nick browse over it. I’d left the song named “unnamed”. Dj said as long as Nick gave me a name before the end of the week they could change it, but secretly I loved the simplicity of the song not really having a name.

“You’re album is named ‘Unnamed’” Nick laughed

“Read the lyrics for track 1 Nick”

Nick pulled the cover from the cd and opened the booklet. As he read the lyrics his eyes widened

“You finished it?” he whispered “Wait, you remembered the notes from that one time I played it?”

Nick looked a satisfying degree of confused, so I put my hand in to my pocket and pulled out the piece of paper I’d kept a year ago.

“I always had it, I just wanted to surprise you” I laughed handing Nick the original piece of paper.

“Oh so you finally topped my manta ray surprise didn’t you… bet you think you have the upper hand huh” Nick said with a smirk he placed the cd case and paper down on the bench.

He kissed me on the forehead before he walked around me.

I frowned confused as to why it was a competition. I was about to say something before Nick walked over to the balcony and opened the doors.

“Come on, I have something to show you”

I shrugged and walked across the hard wood floor. As I stepped out on to the balcony I looked over at my old apartment and smiled. I hadn’t been there for almost 6 months now. I refocused and turned back towards the direction Nick had walked in.

The wall of the apartment and edge of the balcony had fairy lights strung up, and in the dimming evening sky it felt almost magical.

“This is beautiful, are you decorating early for Christmas or something?” I questioned confused

“Sarah it’s October.” Nick laughed as he stopped and held his hand out for me. I placed mine in his and we turned the slight corner. The pool sat in front of us, although it was adorned with hundreds of tiny floating candles.

In front of the pool stood Janie, Marc, Dj, Alex and Andrea, Each of them held a glowing lantern and as Nick and I approached them they let them go.

“What is going on?” I mumbled completely and utterly confused. I literally pinched myself in case I was asleep.

Nick stopped and turned to face me, his eyes were glistening in the soft light surrounding us.

“Sarah, just over a year ago you walked in to my life. I haven’t been the same since then. I knew the minute I met you that one day I would be standing here in front of you telling you just how much you mean to me. You brought light in to my life when I thought it was meant to be dark, you taught me that love is a more powerful tool than pain, and I owe my life to you.”

I could feel the tears welling in my eyes and if our friends, no wait our Family hadn’t been there I would have taken him in my arms and kissed him to within an inch of his life. But they were so instead I let the tears fall.

Nick took a step back and pulled his hands from mine. I frowned but only for a second, because he pulled something from his pocket, and then dropped smoothly to one knee. The realisation of the moment hit me from all directions and the few tears falling threatened now to become a waterfall.

Nick took my left hand back in his

“Sarah, I want to wake each morning and have the honour of calling you my wife. Will you marry me?” As Nick spoke his voice wavered a little

I smiled, through the tears, this was actually happening, Nick had actually just asked me to marry him. I took one last look around the balcony, and at our family of friends. The three girls stood arm in arm, all sniffling. I held in a giggled and looked back at Nick. He looked worried, probably due to my lack of an immediate answer. The truth was though; there was no way I could say no.

He was the one true definition of my love at first sight.

“Of course” I whispered “Yes”

Nick’s shaky hand slid the ring on my finger, and he engulfed me in his arms before I could say or do another thing. I could hear the others yahooing from beside us, but right now everything was Nick and I.

“So, whose the king of surprises baby” Nick teased in between kisses

“Don’t worry baby” I whispered “I’ll get you back”

The CD hadn’t been the only surprise I’d had for Nick that night. In fact, I’d planned to take him to see the other surprise just as soon as he’d seen the album cover. Sitting in the master suite bathroom, on the vanity sat a test with two lines.

*************

I've loved writing this so much, and I am going to miss it so much. I've decided Going Up will have a sequel, cos well I can't just leave things hanging on that last sentence now can I.

Thank you all for being so supportive, oh and see I told you I like my happy endings :D

I'll be uploading first chapters for two other ideas this weekend and based on feedback I will pick a new work to begin writing, plus FY, E until it is finished. Once FY, E is finished I will begin the sequel.

Now for the hard task of editing and looking in to publishing. Love you all. xoxo

UPDATE: if you want to help get "going up" published head on over to kickstarter and back me!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1455737836/publishing-going-up

UPDATE - CHAPTER ONE OF THE SEQUEL IS UP NOW!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.4M 2.7M 83
Lisa and her boss, Alessandro, agree to spite their exes by pretending to date, but things begin to backfire when fake feelings become real along the...
4.8K 684 51
This story is inspired by a true story. This is about an Indian girl who is all messed up and goofed up..and she desperately needs help for a better...
985 2 17
A young girl's father covers her bad habits up, her lie because of this an innocent man pays the price. Some children don't understand, some people...
76.6K 1.2K 61
(This book is getting edited) when i felt in love i thought that i felt for the wrong guy but then he became my destiny. justin bieber... he made me...