Chapter Nine

Nick left a little while later, and I watched trashy television until the others returned home. Marc and Joshua headed in to the kitchen, but Janie ran and basically crashed on top of me. She’d noticed Nick and I had left at the same time alright.

“So… You and Mr Jackson left the office at the same time. Explain?” she asked, her voice a little nervous, like she was worried about what I might answer with.

“It’s a long story and its not what you think. Just trust me”

“Nah uh! You can’t give me that I want the details!”

“I have a problem… with someone from my past. He knows about it because of the stupid research he does on his potential employees. Please don’t ask for more details, I’ve said more than I want to” I replied, sadly.

Her nervous smile dropped in response and she sat back in to the couch, sullenly she nodded

“I’m sorry” She replied quietly.

“It’s fine, really… but as of tomorrow I’ll have a new work Alias. Actually, Josh, Marc… I need to let you guys know too,” I stopped and waited for the boys to walk over to the couch. “As of tomorrow I am Roxy Levi at work. There is someone in my past I would do anything to avoid. Unfortunately he found out my email address at work and earlier today I received a message that I didn’t want.”

“Oh? An ex or something?” Josh questioned, his tone was a little high pitched, but I didn’t want to decipher why it was, or even address the question, I just shrugged In response and let him think what he wanted. As long as they knew me as Roxy at work, everything was fine.

“Well Roxy, shall we head off and do that shopping now?”  Janie asked getting up off the couch as the boys walked back into the kitchen. Part of me wanted to stay recluse and hide away in my bedroom. I liked being hidden, but the fact remained I needed clothing for work so instead I nodded

“Give me five to get changed into jeans and a tee first?” I asked

“Same, I’ll meet you out the front. Marc, can we take your car, pretty please!” Janie asked playfully, as she looked over at Marc who was sipping a cup of freshly brewed coffee. She batted her eyelids at him and shot him a flirtatious smile. Marc blushed a little and put his free hand in to his pocket.

“Fine, but look after her, no speeding up to avoid read lights Janie!” He chortled chucking his keys in Janies direction.

“Me?! Never” Janie scoffed mockingly as she caught the keys and swung them around her fingers.

Marc just rolled his eyes and laughed again.

I got up off the couch and walked down to my bedroom. I reached around to unzip the dress and let it fall off me to the ground. I stepped out of it and flung my suitcase on to the bed. I bent over and picked up the dress and hung it over my drawers.

I realised I should have used my free time to unpack, to settle in. After all this was going to be for a long time. My father was not going to find me. I was never going to go back there. It wasn’t an option. I opened the suitcase and grabbed pair of jeans and a black guns and roses t-shirt. I pulled the clothes on and left my suitcase open on the bed.

I’d unpack when we got back.

I walked out of the bedroom and down the hallway to the front door.

“Have fun!” Josh called out as I opened the front door

“Oh, yeah, um thanks!” I called back, I looked up and smiled over at him before I walked out the door. It was a few more minutes before Janie walked out, she looked a lot more laid back than at the office, but her fashion sense still greatly trumped my own. She wore a pair of pink ballet flats, faded dark blue skinny jeans and a pretty floaty white top.