Chapter Two

“Are you alright, you look a little pale” Julie asked as she placed a manicured hand on my shoulder.

I nodded in reply, but didn’t feel completely positive that I was alright. Nick, Nikolai, Mr Jackson and I… had kissed. It had been erotic, something I never dreamt I'd experience, Something I didn't think I wanted to experience. Julie began walking down a corridor and as I followed her I let my mind wander. I thought about  what might have happened if the elevator hadn’t started working, how far would I have let things go? Before I could put too much thought in to it Julie spoke, which broke my daydream and pulled me back down to reality.

“Good, alright, lets get started” She said walking briskly in to a cubicle. “Your workstation” She said, gesturing to the modern and funky desk. On top of the desk sat a large computer screen, keyboard, mouse and an in and out tray.

“As you can see it is dull in here, so feel free to bring in photos of family or what have you to brighten the place up” Julie added, as she leant across the desk to grab a post it and pen.

The mere suggestion made me feel a little sad, but I pushed the feeling down in to that dark depths of my soul, down where all my memories were locked. A new beginning  meant forgetting my horrific past. It didn't exist. It couldn't exist.

“Thanks” I replied quietly

“Okay, so every morning you’ll come in and process the paper work on your desk. We obviously get a lot of applicants so there are a fair few rejection letters to process. I’ll take you through a few to get you in to the gist of it” She explained as she wrote down a login and password for me on the post it note.

 Julie and I sat together for around half an hour and after we’d processed a few together, she left me to my own devices.

I’d been working alone less than 10 minutes when a  man’s voice called from behind me

“You must be the new girl. Word is you were stuck in the elevator with the big boss!”

I put the file I was processing down and turned around.

“The names Joshua, I’m the IT guy.” He held out his hand for me to shake. Shyly I reached out and shook his hand.

“Sarah” I offered, unable to think of anything else to say.

Joshua shot me a cheeky smile and leant up against the cubicle wall. He was well dressed, like everyone else in this building. But somehow even in his black business pants, dress shirt and blazer he looked trendy. His auburn hair was somewhat long for a guy, but immaculately groomed. He had big blue eyes with the eyelashes most girls would be envious of.

“Well Sarah, Julie told me to let you know that if you have any issues with your PC, I’m your go to guy alright?”

I thanked Joshua and turned back to my work.

“So, a few of us are heading out for drinks after work. You’re welcome to join us” Joshua said, his voice rang through my ears. I wanted to accept the invitation, I needed to make friends. Instead I shook my head.

“Thanks, I’m underage though, besides I’ve uh, got to take care of something tonight. Have fun though” I replied, my voice soft and pathetic. Silently I cursed myself for being so painfully shy.

Joshua let me return to my work and everything was going swell until my desk phone rang. I hadn’t expected calls. Julie hadn’t explained what I should say to any incoming calls. I felt my hand begin to shake as it hovered over the receiver. I took a big gulp and picked it up.

“Sarah Jenkins speaking” I said, attempting to sound strong and independent, although I had no idea if it was working, in fact I sounded confused more than anything.