Chapter Thirty Four - Part One.

Sorry this is super short, but I lost my mojo and I am super tired.

I will upload the other half of the chapter tomorrow once I've managed to write it!

Love yas.

“drowning in the water, I struggle to stay afloat

My feelings are pulling down on me,

My enemies stay to gloat

I don’t know why you do the things you do

I just hope I don’t end up like you”

I sang the words like I’d known them forever, after all it felt like I had. When I got to the bridge, I heard Janie wolf whistle and call out my name. Something inside me suddenly electrified and I felt more alive than I ever had before. I wasn’t just Sarah anymore, something else has snuck in to my soul. The nerves faded as the adrenalin rush took over, and I poured everything in to the song. Finally as the last notes of the song were played by the man playing guitar behind me, I smiled and held my hand to my heart. The room broke in to an overwhelming noise of applause, some even stood up from their dinner to give me an ovation. I’d never been one to enjoy attention on me, but I had to admit that this was nice.

The lights dimmed, and I glanced over towards my friends. Janie, Josh, Marc and my other ex-colleagues were all sharing the same shocked face, Janie was still clapping like crazy.

 Nick however, looked bemused.

The music for creep began before I had a chance to study Nick’s expression completely. I brushed my own confusion away and sat on the stool in the centre of the stage. Once the set was over, I left the stage. The applause seemed to go on for quite some time and I knew by the reaction alone, that I’d succeeded in planting the seed Dj had wanted me too.

“That,” Dj exclaimed, pulling me in to an overbearing hug “Was perfect!”

“Thanks, it felt pretty amazing” I replied

Dj released me from his arms just in time for the others to arrive backstage to ambush me with hugs.

“You were amazing!” Janie exclaimed.

The four of us pulled back from the group hug and I realised Nick was nowhere to be seen. Why hadn’t he come backstage?

“He said he’d thought he better stay with the others” Josh said as he noted my searching. I shrugged and nodded, I couldn’t keep Nick all to myself. Still, I’d wanted to ask what was on his mind after that first song, because he’d looked so puzzled.

“Go eat Sarah, the chef’s bringing over some dinner to the table for you” Dj interjected

I nodded and walked behind the others toward the table. I sat next to Janie, which also mean I sat directly across from Nick.

“You lit the room alight” Nick whispered

I looked up at him and smiled, I wanted to kiss him, right here in front of everyone, To hell with the consequences. Nick must had sensed my foolish thoughts because he smiled, but shook his head softly. He looked around to ensure the others were not focusing on our conversation before sitting forward and opening his mouth

“I wrote that song” I remarked

Song?

Wait, he’d written the original Dj had asked me to learn?

“You wrote Drowning?” I replied, leaning forward a little.

“Yes, I told you I could play the guitar, I wasn’t lying” Nick murmured with a grin “Turns out, I probably could have sped up your learning of the song after all”

“It’s a beautiful, if not pensive song. Did you know Dj had given it to me?”

Nick shook his head and took a sip of his beer.

“I gave it to him a year or two ago. I never thought he’d use it for one of his artists. He’d just asked to see some of my stuff one day”

“You have others?” I replied shocked that I was discovering this previously unknown side of Nick right now, after I’d already performed his song in front of a packed room.

“Many, but they’re mostly all dark jaded, self absorbed songs.”

“Who was that one about?”

Nick’s eyes dropped from mine, and he pushed the small piece of leftover chocolate mudcake around his plate with a fork. I’d pressed upon a nerve but I let it go, considering we were sitting at the table with everyone else.

Before I had another chance to put my foot in my mouth, a waiter stopped by and placed a shrimp cocktail in front of me.

Once I’d eaten we all began to make moves to leave. The shuttle took us back to the hotel and Nick, who’d seemingly forgotten about the abrupt end to our dinner conversation walked me back to my room.

“Do you want me to come in tonight?” Nick said, pressing his body against mine. His hands slid up my back, slightly hooking the fabric of my dress in his fingers. He took advantage of my hair being pulled back and nibbled my neck gently with his lips.

“Mmmhmm” I moaned in reply, due to no legible words coming to mind as a worthy reply.

I somehow managed to unlock the door without looking, I turned the handle and we fell back through the door.

Nick looked at me for a moment, his hands still sitting on the curves of my butt, and smiled.

“I love you” He murmured

“I love you too”

Before I could say anything else, Nick’s sweet and juicy lips pressed hungrily against mine. He lifted me up walked with me in his arms, to the bed. I gripped the collar of his shirt to stop him from pulling back. Electric shocks ran through my veins and I was at the brink of ecstasy just from his kiss.

“Be patient, We’ve got all night” Nick chuckled, as he kissed the corners of my mouth.

“I like the sound of that” I replied, raising my eyebrow suggestively.

I kissed Nick again, a little less forceful. Softly I put my hands on his cheeks, kissing him felt so good that it made something in my chest actually ache. I felt like at any moment I’d wake up from this dream and find myself in a nightmare unable to escape. It was a horrible thing to think, but after everything I’d been through, living a nightmare again really frightened me.

“You look worried”

“I’m not, I’m happy” I mused “Just sometimes I find it hard to accept my life has changed so much. I’m scared I’m going to wake up”

“This” Nick said, sliding one of his hands along my leg, over my hips and along the rise of my breast “Is all real life Sarah, you’re not going to wake up”

With that, I gave myself to Nick once more, our bodies writhed between the sheets for far longer than we should have allowed, because when we finally fell back, completely spent. The sun was rising.

“We’d better sleep for a couple of hours I suppose” I moaned huskily

“Yep” Nick answered, already succumbing to the power of the sandman.