Tiptoe Kisses

By idet843

“Wait.” She lays her hand on his chest. “Where will you be? This is crazy….all the things that have happen... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Author's Note
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48

Chapter 17

10.1K 351 15
By idet843

Chapter 17- The Merc     

(Bolded is recapped)

Get your hands off her Cromwell. She’s not here with you.”  Nathan and Taylor turn around and Santo is walking toward them.

“Well, that’s rich Donati, is she still hear with you.  Don’t you have a hookup to go to somewhere around here.  I’ll see that she gets home tonight. Isn’t that right Taylor?”   Taylor jerks her hand in Nathan’s grip again and he lets it go this time.

Santo clenches his fist at his side while glaring at Nathan. Taylor is ready to go home. Maybe she can find Zoe and ride with her. The night started out so good with the promise of it ending at his place or hers. Now she’s not so sure of anything anymore. She thought she could handle this but Santo hasn’t denied any of Nathan’s accusations.

“Taylor let’s go back inside?”  Santo holds his hand out and she stares at it with uncertainty. He see's the uncertainty in her eyes and drops his hand. 

“Now see what you’ve done Donati. I think you’ve gone and confused her. Taylor’s not a ménage a trois type girl.” Nathan chuckles. “Believe me I should know.” 

“Will you shut the hell up, Cromwell? Santo doesn’t look at Nathan, his eyes are fixed on Taylor. “Can we go somewhere and talk.”  Santo ask her.

“Where were you, I’ve been looking for you for almost an hour.” Taylor doesn’t take her gaze off of Santo.

“Taylor not here. Let’s go somewhere else.   He tells her. 

“No you go somewhere else Donati."  Nathan raises his voice to yell at Santo.  " You don’t know how to take care of her.” .

Taylor looks at Nathan in shock. “And you think you do Nathan…. you’re such a jackass. You didn’t want me until somebody else was interested, so don’t you dare stand here and act like you know what I want.”  Taylor shakes with rage as she looks from one man to the other.   

“Taylor, I told you, you can’t compete with a woman like Alina Jacobs, so you better get your ass in line and do as I say.” Nathan reaches out and jerks her arm.

Santo pushes Nathan back away from Taylor and Nathan let’s her go. “I’m not going to tell you again Cromwell, don’t touch her.”  Santo's anger is evident on his face.

“Or what Donati?”  Nathan tries to take a swing at Santo to get in a sucker punch.   Santo expects it and moves to the side then catches Nathan with a right hook to his nose. Nathan is knocked off his feet against a potted plant on a stand and he falls to the floor taking the plant with him.

Taylor’s eyes are huge in her face as she watches Santo’s fist slam into Nathan’s face smashing his nose and busting his lip. Santo steps back and looks at his hand then closes his eyes. He doesn’t want to return to this sort of thing. He has tried so hard to end this part of his life. He didn’t mean to hit Nathan so hard but he’s fed up. Taylor looks at Nathan’s semi-conscious body. She starts to walk to him but he moans and tries to get up.

“What did you do?” Comes the screamed response from behind them as the bleached blond comes running down the hallway falling to her knees she pulls Nathan in her arms. She pushes the leaves from the plant off of him and he sits up.  His lip and nose are bleeding and he’s got a cut on his forehead. His date calls his name several times and Nathan finally stands up with her help. 

Security is running down the hall and stops when they see who the men are. Serena and Reese have come out into the hallway and Serena rushes down to Santo to see if he’s alright. Reese starts talking to security to smooth everything over.

Santo and Taylor stand in the middle of the hallway. There are tears in Taylor’s eyes and hurt on Santo’s face. Neither knows what to say to the other to make it right. 

“If you had just come with me, none of this would have happened.”  Santo lashes out with quiet anger.  Serena comes over and hugs her brother then stands protectively in front of him.

“This isn’t over Donati, this isn’t about her, this is between you and me.” Nathan angrily yells.

“Nathan, shut up…I didn’t want any of this to happen.”  Taylor tearfully holler’s at him.

“Well look at you Taylor Simon, you got two men fighting over you but you can’t seem to hold onto either one of them. I just hate bitches like you” The bleached blond spits at her.

“Larisa?” Nathan says sternly. “This is not your business.”

“Larisa…?” Taylor looks from Nathan to Larisa.  “Knocked up and I left her after she lost the baby I didn’t want with her anyway Larisa, Nathan? You’re out here begging me to come back to you while the woman you left me for sits in another room until you get knocked on your ass? This is so you, Nathan I can’t even….”  Taylor sighs and turns her back and the tears start to fall.

People hearing the raised voices start coming down the hallway along with the alerted media. Reese has got a towel and wraps Santo’s hand. Santo sees the pain on Taylor’s face and thinks he never really had a chance. He’s done it again. He’s just another rebound man. Reese pushes him out of the hallway toward the men’s restroom.  Security goes over and starts talking to Larisa and Nathan.

Serena grabs Taylor by the arm rushing her into the woman’s restroom then she locks the door. She leaves Taylor sitting in the lounge area shaking and crying while she goes to check the bathroom stalls to see if anyone is in them. There’s  one person washing her hands.

“I’m sorry, but could you give us some privacy please…..”  Serena ask the young woman.

“No…I’m not done yet.” The woman pulls out her lipstick and turns the tube to start putting it on her lips.  Serena yanks the tube out of  her hand and throws it at the toilets missing the toilet bowl it hits the floor, bounces and they watch it roll. 

"Ok, you’re done, now get the hell out.”  Serena yells at her. “Bitch, are you crazy….that lipstick cost my boyfriend twenty-eight dollars.” The woman glares at Serena. 

“Hm...I’m sorry.” Serena digs in her small purse. She finds a fifty dollar bill and holds it up in the girl’s face so she can see it. “Here’s a fifty, get another one.  Now…. get the hell out and don’t ever call me a bitch again….bitch.” The girl snatches the fifty and walks to the door. Serena follows her and lets her out then locks the door behind her.

Serena is already dialing on her phone when she sits next to Taylor. Taylor assumes she’s calling her parents to tell them what has happened and Taylor thinks about Julian and Rhea’s evening being spoiled by all of this.

“No Serena, please can we just sit here for a while before you let Julian know?” Taylor pleads. “Taylor, I already got a text from Reese. Our parents know. There dealing with the hotel people now. I’m not calling them I’m calling Wilton, Ok.”  

“k….can you get Darcy or Zoe for me.” Taylor ask, the tears have dried but she looks so distraught Serena is still worried about her. Serena tells Wilton what’s going on.  He ask if Taylor is alright then tells her he’s going to check on Reese and Santo.

Someone knocks at the door and Serena can hear Darcy calling for them behind the door. Serena gets up and let’s Darcy in.

“What the hell…happened? Darcy looks confused.

“I’m alright. I just messed everything up as usual that’s all.” Taylor covers her face with her hands.

“She got caught in the crossfire between my brother and her ass of an Ex. They went after each other and Nathan got knocked on his ass and threatened Santo.” Serena tells Darcy. “By the way, Hi. I’m Santo’s sister, Serena.”    

 “Wow…Hi, I’m Darcy.  Taylor, I thought Zoe was here. Where is she?” Darcy asks.

“I don’t know. She’s out there somewhere taking pictures. She took pictures of me and Santo earlier tonight when he still liked me.” Taylor tries not to cry and Darcy pulls her in her arms.

“Taylor, he doesn’t like to fight. He’s upset by this, that’s all.”  Serena lets her own anger show. 

“I didn’t want him to fight anybody I went looking for him but I couldn’t find him and Nathan showed up I tried to get away from him and he started saying Santo was with Alina and we got into an argument then Santo showed up when Nathan put his hands on me and he told him not to and then he tried to punch Santo but Santo ducked and hit him and knocked him out and at least I thought he was knocked out but then he moved and then….and then.....that stupid girl showed up and called me a bitch and we started arguing again and Santo wouldn’t talk to me and you know the rest….”  Taylor gets out then hiccups. 

Serena is looking at Taylor with wide eyes and shock then she turns to Darcy. “Does she always do that?” 

“Yep…She gets nervous and she talks real fast without taking a breath and you can always tell when she’s done because she either belches or hiccups.”  Darcy tells Serena.

“I don’t belch, Darcy. Stop telling people that.” Taylor scowls at Darcy.

“Yeah, you do.” Darcy smiles at her and starts to imitate it. “Burrr--rup, bur-rrrrrrup, Oh, that hurts.”  Taylor and Serena both laugh at her.  

Taylor swipes at Darcy’s arm. “I don’t sound like that.”

“Yes you do.  Now listen, I’m going to go back out there and see if everything is settled down. Serena can you stay with her and I’ll call you.”  Darcy checks herself in the mirror before she walks to the door.

“Yeah….I’m not going anywhere.  Check on my brother will you.”  Serena stands up and hugs Darcy.  “Sure, I’ll get your phone number from Wilton.”   Darcy hugs Taylor and goes out the door. Serena locks it after she leaves and comes back to sit next to Taylor. 

“You alright?” Serena gives her another tissue to wipe her face.

“No….Serena I don’t want Nathan.” Taylor sighs and looks like she’s about to cry again but she doesn’t.

“Now that you’ve figured that out, what do you want?” Serena questions.

“Santo, but I think he hates me.” Taylor stands up and throws the tissue away then wraps her arms around herself.

“He doesn’t hate you Taylor. This is new for him. I can’t speak for him but he’s never really been serious about anybody. He’s had a lot of girlfriends, but he didn’t treat them like girlfriends, you know.  He doesn’t bring them around us or talk about them.  When we saw you with him, we all thought….you know.” Serena stands up and grabs another tissue and starts to wipe her hands.

“I’m sorry. Your whole family must hate me now.”  Taylor sits back down.

Serena throws her tissues away and sits down next to Taylor. “I’m going to tell you something I probably shouldn’t but I like you and I hope you have a chance with my brother.”

“We didn’t see Santo for three years after he got out of college. He was different than he is now if you can believe it. He was even more aloof. So cold and unfeeling. He and my father argued a lot whenever he came home from school breaks. I didn’t know what all the arguing was about I thought it was because my father wanted him to take over some of our businesses and Santo didn’t want to. It must have been over a year after Santo had graduated, we didn’t know where he was and we hadn’t heard from him.”

“My parents went to this wedding. It was for a close friend of my dad’s daughter and they lived in Venice. The friend’s daughter had been kidnapped and safely returned about seven months before her wedding. My father and the friend were having drinks one night and the friend thanked my father for his help.  My father didn’t understand what he was talking about. His friend told him of his daughter’s kidnapping and he was beside himself with praise for the men that had brought his daughter back to him. He had allowed some of his bodyguards to try to get her out and it went wrong.  The kidnappers killed all the bodyguards and cut off his daughter’s finger sending it back to him in addition to upping the ransom. He knew they were going to kill her so he hired a team of mercenaries to try to get her out. His contact from the team was a young man who went by the name Dragon.”

Taylor grabs Serena’s arm and her eyes widen at the mention of that name. She had overheard Julian talking to someone on the phone several times about the Dragon and she always wondered about it.

“The man had never seen the faces of any of the mercs, but one of his remaining bodyguards who was skeptical about them told the man that the Dragon was just a boy, a young man of twenty-three he was entrusting his daughter’s life to and the man refused to go along with the plan.”

“Oh god, he was so young at that time?” Taylor whispers.

“The merc’s got upset, they had been paid a part of their fee and the setup to get her out cost much more than anyone had anticipated. They thought the man had run out of money they didn’t know the real reason. The team leader and the young man secretly met up with him to talk.”

Serena stops talking and Taylor wonders what’s wrong when Serena puts her head down. When she looks up Serena has tears in her eyes.

“They met at an old closed down winery somewhere in Napoli and when the team leader and the young man got there, the bodyguard turned on his boss.  He was working with the kidnappers and he had lured the men to the spot to kill them. The bodyguard thought if he could wipe out the younger man that was planning everything for them….he could, well anyway it didn’t go as planned and there was a fight. The team leader was shot but survived."

"The friend of my father learned the identities of the mercenaries during the fight and the younger one actually got stabbed when the bodyguard tried to kill his boss and the young merc fought him off and killed him. Two days later they went into the kidnappers hiding place killed all of them and got the girl out. The friend was sworn to secrecy but when my father went to his daughter’s wedding he became overcome with the memory of it and told my father.”

Taylor tries to take it all in. She never expected this. “Santo.” She whispers and Serena stands up.

“Wait, tell me something.  Do you know who the team leader was…I mean do you know his name or is he still doing that sort of thing?”

“Don’t ask me that Taylor. I shouldn't have told you this much but I can see that you care about my brother.  I hope I haven’t made a mistake..”  Serena replies.

Taylor stands up and hugs her. “You haven’t. I won’t say anything to anybody, not to Darcy or Wilton. I suppose my….Julian already knows.” 

“Yes, I think it’s part of the reason Santo’s CEO of your company. I’m not really sure. I don’t know what the hell Santo knows about shoes or if he knows anything about shoes other than buying them for his girlfriends….oh, sorry.” Serena gives her an apologetic look. 

Serena’s phone rings and its Darcy asking them to come back to the banquet hall. The first thing Taylor notices is Santo is not at the table and neither are the other men. Zoe is sitting in Santo’s chair.

“Oh Zo, I’m so glad to see you. Listen I think I need a ride home with you tonight.” Taylor whispers.

“What the hell happened Taylor?” Darcy came and got me just when I finally found a cute guy that makes me happy to be single again. You people have the worse timing. Zoe huffs at her.

“What you mean you people?” Darcy tells her. “I’m offended by that.”

“Well you know, you people that are invited guests to this affair and I’m telling you that’s what it is. This room is full of wealthy men here with their wives at one table and their mistresses at another.  I take pictures for a living I see it all.”  Zoe is miffed that she was pulled away from what could possibly have been a future date.

“Si, well look into your crystal ball and tell me where the men are that were sitting at this table, because I don’t see any of them.” Serena responds.

Taylor glances around the room Everett and Alina are gone and so are Nathan and Larisa. She notices a man with dark hair and dark eyes is watching her again. She can’t clearly see his features he never stands in the light. He sticks out because of the sparkle from the ring on his pinky finger. She noticed him in the hallway after Santo hit Nathan. He was on his phone at the time. 

Rhea comes over to Taylor and the two women hug each other. Wilton rushes over and wants them to leave the table and follow him. He won’t answer any of their questions. Serena refuses, she doesn’t want to go anywhere but home. She’s tired and the events of the night have left her angry. She hasn’t seen Reese lately and she wants to know where he’s at.

“If you follow me I’ll take you to him.” Wilton tells her.

Wilton takes them to a large room away from the banquet hall. When they get inside the room there’s a cluster of security and police. A door leading to a connecting room is opened by one of the officers and Taylor can see the tuxedo pant leg sticking out from under a bed cover lying on the floor. She takes off running through the door and Zoe runs behind her before Wilton realizes what has happened. Darcy, Celine, Rhea and Serena catch a glimpse of the man lying on the floor once the door is wide open and they start running toward the room but the police officers and security are able to grab all the women but not before Taylor and Zoe see the upper body and face of the man who is lying on the floor. Zoe screams when she sees him and grabs Taylor.

They can hear Celine in the background crying and upset she wants to know where her husband and her son are. Alberto walks into the room but Celine is still screaming for Santo. Alberto tries to calm her down but she’s too upset. Reese and Julian are next to enter the room and they go over to the upset women trying to help calm them down. Zoe and Taylor are still holding onto each other and they have been ushered into another connecting room away from the others by a police officer. 

“Excuse me officer, but could you tell us what happened."  Zoe ask him.

“Sorry ma’am. This is a crime scene. We can’t discuss any of this with you. My orders were to bring you next door for security reasons ma’am.” The officer tells them.

“We’ve got to tell somebody.” Taylor says to Zoe. Do you still have the pictures?”

“Mm hmm. The prints are at the house. You still got your set?” Zoe nervously ask. “Yeah, they are locked up in my office at work."     Taylor responds.  The women ask to speak to Wilton and the officer gets him for them.   

“Wilton, we’ve got to talk to somebody in charge.” Taylor says.

“Do you see what is happening here Taylor?  Somebody offed that guy and your Ex just made the stupidest move of his life. Santo asked me to make sure you are all safe. I’m trying to do that so don’t make me tell him you’re not cooperating. I told you he’s not the type of man you want to mess with. Now do like you’re told, go back into the other room.”   Wilton rakes his fingers through his hair in frustration.

“Wilton, you don’t understand. We know the dead guy.” Taylor says.

 “We don’t know him.” Zoe corrects her. “Yeah, we don’t know him Wilton, but we’ve seen him…well, Zoe actually saw him before. Taylor rephrases.

“Dammit, Taylor, who else knows about this.” Wilton doesn’t look happy with either woman.

“Nobody else. Just us. Can you get us somebody?” Zoe pleads.  “Don’t let anybody move you from this room.”  Wilton growls to the two women.  He leaves for a few minutes then comes back. Behind him is a man in a dark suit, white shirt and blue tie. Taylor and Zoe assume he’s a detective.

“Good evening ladies, my name is Det. Ronaldo Hernandez. I will be handling this case. Mr. Frazier tells me that the two of you might have some information that may be of interest to this case.” He pulls out his phone and glances at it then gives them his full attention.

“Yes detective, we…that is I have seen this man before and I told Taylor about it."  Zoe holds onto Taylor’s hand as she speaks. They both look scared standing before the detective but he doesn’t want to underestimate them.

“Alright Miss, what’s your name.” The detective is still holding his phone. “My name is Zoe Drake.” “And you Miss, your name.” The detective is typing something in his phone. “I’m Taylor Simon.”

“Thank you, ladies, I’m going to bring in some gentlemen and I want you to tell us what you know.” The detective waves to the officer to open the door and in walks Kyle. Taylor is happy to see him and is about to speak when Kyle gives her a warning look and shakes his head. The next man to enter the room surprises Taylor and Zoe. It’s Santo.

Santo looks very restrained and doesn’t speak. Taylor is happy to see that he’s alright but he seems so cold. His hand is wrapped in a thin bandage that covers his knuckles and he puts it behind his back when he sees her looking at it. She can’t take her eyes off of him. She soaks up every line of his face and she wants so bad to run to him and drag him somewhere they can be alone to talk. 

“I believe you both know these gentlemen, ladies?” Taylor looks at Zoe. She wonders how Zoe could possibly know Kyle.  

“Yes sir, we know them, detective.” Zoe answers for them both.  The detective directs both Taylor and Zoe to sit down.   A woman has entered the room to record their statements.

Zoe tells them about seeing the two men in her and Taylor’s backyard after their trash pickup had already occurred. She’s asked several questions by the detective. He repeatedly tries to get her to describe the face of the other man in their backyard when Taylor can’t take it anymore and buts in.    

“She’s told you everything. I went to her house and saw for myself how our backyards looked. The way our trashcans were thrown around it was obvious they were looking for something.”  Taylor exclaims.

The detective ask Taylor similar questions about what she saw and Taylor gives her statement. She tells them about seeing a plastic bag in her backyard with something in it laying on the ground that afternoon when she talked to Zoe but when she checked later from her own kitchen window the bag was gone. The detective turns to Kyle and Santo and ask Kyle if he has any questions for the ladies.

“Ms. Drake, I see that you are a photographer, did you by any chance take pictures of the men in your backyard?”  Zoe smiles at Kyle like Taylor hasn’t seen her smile since she was married. Kyle must be the guy she met earlier tonight. She tells him about the pictures and explains that a set of the prints are at her home and she gave a set to Taylor.  

Kyle then ask Taylor where her set is located and she tells him they are locked up in her safe at work. Santo has sat quietly throughout their statements. Taylor notices him watching her.  When asked by Kyle if he has any questions he finally speaks.  

“Ms. Drake, do you have any pictures of the men that were in your backyard on the camera that you used tonight?”

Zoe lifts the strap over her head attached to her camera case. She takes the camera out and starts flipping through the pictures.  She hands the camera to Santo and he looks through several of the pictures and ask her and Taylor about a couple of them then shows them to the detective and Kyle.

“Ms. Drake.” Kyle walks over to her with the camera. Could you tell us about this picture?” Taylor leans over and looks at the picture he’s showing Zoe. She recognizes it as the empty house across the street from them. Zoe tells him it’s a house for sale across the street. She explains that she has pictures of the realtor and some of the clients that have looked at the house. Some of the pictures are on another camera located at her house.

Taylor is asked if she has met any of the people that have looked at the house. She tells them about speaking to the same realtor on occasion. Sometimes he is with clients other times he is alone. 

After their statements the detective tells Zoe her camera will be confiscated during the investigation. Both of them are being put under protective custody until it can be determined what their connection is to the dead man.

Detective Hernandez is not happy with any of them, he is upset that there was a fight in the hotel involving two prominent business men and now a murder on his watch. The detective along with Kyle and Santo leave the room. Taylor and Zoe wait in the room guarded by the police officer.

When detective Hernandez returns he tells Zoe that she will be escorted to her home by Mr. Davies and a team of officers to retrieve pictures and her other camera after that she will be placed in protective custody. Taylor is told that she is not able to return to her home at this time and she will be released into the protective custody of Mr. Santo Donati. Both women are given appointment times to come to the police station to render sketches of the Realtors.

Taylor and Zoe are hugging one another as the detective leaves the room. Julian is allowed in the room and he hugs them both.  “Dad, how come I can’t come home with you?” Taylor wants to know.

“Taylor, you and Zoe may have seen something you weren’t supposed to see. I don’t want to alarm either one of you but it’s best both of you remain in protective custody right now and my house is not equipped for the kind of protection you need.” Julian explains.

“Its drugs isn’t it….I told you Taylor. I tried to tell that stupid cop that day but he wouldn’t listen to me, now they want to talk about it.” Zoe surmises.

“Zoe, they want to talk about it because the big guy got killed on detective Hernandez watch. They don’t give a damn about us. We’re out here on our own aren’t we Julian?”

“Taylor, it’s not that….there are things going on that you don’t understand.” Julian struggles with how much to tell her. 

“Then tell me Julian. You said you wouldn’t keep things from me anymore, what is going on? Is this drug related? 

“Taylor….I can’t talk. You need to trust that I am doing what’s best for you and I want to keep you safe.” Julian is finding it harder not to break down in front of her.

“Julian…Tell me something?”  Taylor touches his arm. “Are you mixed up in anything…..are you involved….”

“Of course not. Taylor please…no more questions. Santo will be here to take care of you and I’ll see you tomorrow.” Julian kisses her on her temple and leaves. 

Kyle comes in shortly after Julian. “Ms. Drake you will need to come with me.” He tells Zoe and she stands up. She and Taylor hug each other and Kyle comes over to Taylor. 

“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of her. Try not to give my friend such a hard time will you?” He lets a small grin leak out.

“You better not let anything happen to her. I can’t make any promises about your….friend.” Taylor responds. 

“Come here and give me a hug. I really like you Taylor. Your good for him, take care.” Taylor nods her head as Kyle hugs her then follows behind the police officer and Zoe out of the room.

Taylor looks around the room and it’s so quiet. She’s to nervous to sit, so she waits by the window. The door opens and Santo walks in. His face is unreadable but she was wrong about one thing, Kyle’s bow tie was still intact while Santo’s is hanging around his neck and a button on his shirt is undone. The bandage wrapped around his hand also looks to be coming undone. She’s never seen him this way before.  He looks disheveled. 

“Are you ready to go?”  His jaw is clenched and he's angry.

“Yes…” She walks over to the table and grabs her small purse and wrap. Santo walks out the door looks around then motions for her to come out. He lightly touches her back guiding her down the hallway and out a side door.  

There’s a man in a tux that looks like security waiting there. After Santo makes sure Taylor is settled in his car he talks to the man for a few minutes. The man hands him something and Taylor can’t see what it is.

They are driving through the streets of New York in the opposite direction of Santo’s apartment. Taylor knows they can’t go to her house so she wonders where they are going.

“Can I ask you a question?” She looks at his profile and she can see him checking behind him in the rear view mirror.

“Depends on the question.”  He responds without looking at her then he makes a sudden turn onto an exit and they end up in traffic on the Long Island Expressway.  

He starts to maneuver through the lanes as he keeps an eye on his rear view mirror. Taylor is becoming alarmed and she starts to turn around and he grabs her leg and it startles her. “Don’t turn around.” He growls at her.

“Tell me about the BMW.” He sternly questions still keeping his eyes on the road in front of him as he crosses in front of a huge transporter truck.

“What…” Taylor is scared now. They are sandwiched between a transporter truck and a big rig and there’s another big rig the next lane over on the passenger’s side.

“Tell...Me…About the BMW.” He pulls out his phone and flips through his Icons and she doesn’t know what he’s doing but it’s scaring the hell out of her.  He’s looking at the internet and they are surrounded on a major highway by big crushing trucks that look like they are going to run into them any minute.

“I don’t know what you want me to say, it was a BMW, new, black. I couldn’t see who was driving it.” Her voice shakes and she’s trembling.

“What model was it, tag number, anything?”  He growls then swerves to the right from behind the big rig and speeds up passing through several other cars.

“Are you trying to kill us, can you slow down.”  

“What model was the BMW, Taylor?” He ask her again. “I….it was the long one.” She closes her eyes and tries to picture it.  

“A 745…ah…no, it was a BMW740.”  She tells him opening her eyes she sees another big rig in front of them and she holds her breath.

Santo shoves his phone at her and she takes it. It’s already on a text message screen. “Type in exactly what I tell you and nothing more.”  Taylor looks at the phone then looks at him and nods her head. His eyes are on the road so he doesn’t see her.

“Taylor, did you hear me?” “Yes Santo, I heard you.” “LIE in caps….Duck Call…BB740…Dragon.”   

“Have you got it Taylor?” She looks at what she typed then looks at him. “Repeat it back to me.” He tells her and she does it then shows it to him and he glances quickly at it. “Send it.” He tells her and she presses send.  

He keeps passing through cars and gets in front of another rig. His phone signals a message and Taylor is still holding it in her hands.

“What does it say….”  He asks.  She checks it and frowns not understanding the message.

“What…does….it…say Taylor?” He looks at her again.   

“It’s one word, it just says Sunny. I don’t understand. Do you know a woman named Sunny?”

He frowns at her then pinches the bridge between his nose. “Yes, I know Sunny.” 

She can see him visibly relax and he slows the car down to a normal speed. 

“Are you going to tell me where we are going?” Taylor tries not to let the jealousy creep into her voice.

“No…” He glances at her then puts his eyes back on the road.

She crosses her arms and pouts.  “Asshole.” She turns away from him and looks out the window.

The smile that's on his face would make her blush instead of being angry with him right now if only he would let her see it.  

***************PLEASE VOTE FOR THE CHAPTER******************

Thanks for Reading, Comments always welcome.  The feedback I'm getting is nice to have, funny you all hate Nathan, would love to hear what whether you think Julian is mixed up in anything or not.    Taylor will see a different side of Santo also.  The Song- 'Together' By XX  (I just think this song describes Taylor and Santo)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

314K 5.7K 35
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐢𝐚 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 What happens when two completely different worlds full of sadness, jealousy, love, hate, and te...
848 33 7
/Blurb/ She wasn't sure who moved first but one moment she was standing there gawking at him and next their mouths were smashing against each other. ...
2.4K 462 30
#38 in Mystery as of 2/1/18. #93 in Chicklit.... A pair of beautiful warm lips, a rush of passion, a feeling of being complete once and forever, a pa...
200K 9.8K 57
Then you feel warm lips place a soft kiss on top of your head. Although they were gone as soon as they were there and his hands let go of your cheeks...