Riddles on Napkins // E.Nygma

By retired27

"From riddles on napkins to kisses on the cheek, my-my Edward how far you've come." Alice Morelle wasn'... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 1

9.7K 272 261
By retired27

The quaint café looked surprisingly different during the day, having only worked night shifts for the two months of being here it was uncommon for me to see the place with the sun glinting and reflecting off the small neon sign that was off for a change. The open sign was displaying the words 'Welcome' as it did for 24 hours 7 days a week.

I have decided that university just wasn't for me, sitting in a lecture hall all day only to work through midnight and the early hours of the morning, it just wasn't worth it. It wasn't like I was going to get anywhere anyway, I wouldn't say I was the brightest flower in the bunch and my half yearly grades had proved me right.

That left me here, working full time in a café that paid me barely enough to keep up with the rent of my studio apartment on the other side of town. I was hoping to get an apartment on the nicer side of the city but my ever-dwindling bank account told me that any home was a good one at this point.

I spotted my reflection in the window, slightly ruffling my brunette hair that sat at the very top of my shoulders and the waves bounced lightly, I started straightening my name tag that read 'Alice' with pretty flowers that I had added to it, given the amount of free time that comes with working from 10pm til 4am. My co-worker, Cassidy, had kindly offered to swap shifts with me, vaguely explaining that a customer was making her uncomfortable and for me to watch out.

I took her warning but her history of exaggeration didn't help in explaining the severity of her problem, I greeted Cassidy at the bench, her newly appointed night-shift having ended, leaving me to take her place.

"I'm so glad you're here!" She looked exasperated. "I have no idea how you managed to survive these night shifts and go to university! When I get home I'm going to sleep for a week!" She exclaimed, dark eyes already circling under her eyes, beginning to match my own.

"It's a skill I've taken years to master Cass." I laughed at her sleep deprived face.

"Well, I'm going to go and sleep until next year, have fun!" While she was speaking to me she had gathered her things and was out the door before I could reply.

"Bye to you too," I mumbled to myself, shaking my head and laughing lightly.

The morning rush was slightly busy, the police officers and detectives purchasing a coffee before a long day of work. I recognized some of them from the frequent customers I had served for a coffee fix to get them through the night. Most of them greeted me the same way they always had, discussing my new shift-change and what cases they were working on. They were hopeless police officers but some of them were fairly friendly.

Once the morning rush had slowed down I was left with nothing to do but clean the tables and keep everything tidy. I thought the day shift was supposed to be more eventful? I was dragged out of my daze by the sound of the vintage-styled door creaking open. The slender frame of a male that looked to have a spring in his step, the kind that is extremely rare to find in the dull city of Gotham.

As he turned around I got a glimpse of his face, lips adorning a fantastic smile that, as clichè, as it sounds, lit up the small cafè. He had an odd vibe to him, awkward and confident, an unlikely pair to be found in a person's stride but he made it look normal. His wide framed glasses gave off an intelligent look, framing his face nicely and suited his aura.

He strode towards the counter, his smile flashing with joy as our eyes met. His happiness was contagious as I felt my own smile tug at my lips, eager to greet the joyful character.

"Hi, welcome to cup at Joe's, what can I get for you today?" I spoke politely, having to crane my neck as I noticed he was much taller than I was.

"A cup of Green Tea please." He replied his smile falling ever so slightly, I picked up that he may not be the best at talking to people.

"No problem, that will be three dollars and I will bring it over to you when it's ready." He handed me the money and sat down at a table right near the counter, making my life easier when I had to bring the cup over to him. "Here you go, enjoy." I placed the mug down gently.

"Thank you." He didn't say anymore so I took it as my queue to leave him be, obviously not wanting to start a conversation and I understood, having felt the same before.

I retreated back to the counter, stealing curious glances at him every so often. "Alice!" I turned my head to the door of the store where my favourite customer was making his way over to me. "What are you doing here?" He asked, louder than necessary but I didn't mind. However before I could reply to the man I heard a someone wince in pain, I looked over to where the customer from earlier currently had hot tea all over his hand and forearm, no doubt from Harvey's abrupt noise.

"Harvey Bullock, what have I told you about loud noise?" I scolded the man that was probably twice my senior. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, let me help you." I grabbed a pile of napkins but the man didn't seem all too phased.

"It's perfectly fine, don't worry about it." He replied, accepting the napkins and wiping up the mess Harvey had caused.

"It's only Nygma, he'll be fine." Harvey brushed off the man as if he were nothing but the dirt under his shoe.

"That's horrible, apologize to him," I demanded.

"No-" I glared at him. "Ugh fine, Sorry Nygma." He ground out and I smiled triumphantly. The man looked extremely surprised, obviously not familiar with the detective apologizing.

"I uh um uh it is quite alright." The man, who I'm now assuming to be Nygma, spoke with a strange lack of confidence around the sarcastic detective.

"Whatever, anyways how come you got the day shift?" He asked me, completely disregarding the stranger, who was back to contently drinking his tea, only this time scribbling on the Napkins.

"Well University wasn't my scene and Cass didn't want to work the day shift anymore so I swapped with her, just means you have to deal with me more often huh?" I winked sarcastically.

"You dropped out of Uni?" He asked. " You're kidding, I was rooting for you to join the force!" He said, his voice filling with disappointment.

"Well turns out forensic science isn't a walk in the park, besides now I can serve you coffee all day." I laughed, sighing a little at the end.

"As long as you're happy then." He looked desperate to change the subject and so did I.

"Well, how about a muffin to wave in front of Jim?" I offered to try to lighten the mood.

"You treat me so well." He mused, playing along.

"Don't get used to it." I laughed, handing him the muffin before starting on his coffee. I handed him the hot beverage and he took it without hesitation.

"Well it was such a pleasure to see my favourite barista but I've gotta go make sure Jim isn't trynna throw every street kid in the slammer while I'm away." He began to make his way out, in an almost rushing manner.

"Harvey Bullock in a rush? Never thought I'd see the day!" I called as he neared the door.

"This is probably the last you'll see it, have fun with Nygma." He replied and with that he was gone, leaving me with the quiet customer I'd forced him to apologize to.

"Me and him go way back." I exclaimed, trying to justify our often confronting arguments.

"Him and I." The man responded with.

"Huh?" I asked, confused at his cryptic response.

"Given the context of that sentence, it would be said him and I." He explained himself and I felt slightly embarrassed. With that, he muttered a quick goodbye and he too left the café.

"Goodbye then." I murmured to myself, only then noticing how neat he had left his table, the cup resting on the saucer in the direct center of the table, the only thing slightly out of place being a napkin which sat between the cup and the edge of the table, green ink scrawled neatly across it.

I took a closer look at the green text to find a statement, a Riddle of sorts.

What gets wetter and wetter the more it dries?

------

New book who dis?

So I've been working on this for a while now and if you are one of my Gotham Gazette fam you would know that this has been on the table for quite some time.

If you aren't hello and welcome I hope you enjoy this book because I'm excited to see where It goes from here and if you are from Gotham Gazette I hope you like this book as much as that one!

I have big plans for both books and I hope this book gets the same amount of amazing support that was given.

New update soon Xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 392 12
Set around S4E11 of 'Gotham' Oswald becomes Jerome's... whatever while sat in Arkham, waiting to plan his escape so he can safely get at Sofia and sa...
57.3K 2K 15
//Under construction: *R* = Revised// A face in the hive of bees, I found myself working along side Edward Nygma in the GCPD. We're the backbones to...
555K 19.4K 46
"Love your hair gorgeous..." Katerina Ferdine's dad had asked her to do one simple task...
18.4K 728 23
The fourth and last book of the 'Fools' series. Still looking for Ed, Charlotte Bateman is growing desperate. She had been staying at the GCPD for th...