After the Storm

By Cookies_and_love

*After the Storm* After the perilous journey to retrieve a file of paramount importance, and a trip to the de... More

Happily Ever After
Wedding (Part 1)
Wedding (Part 2)
Burglar! (part 1)
Burglar! (Part 2)
The Proposal (Part 1)
The Proposal (Part 2)
The Proposal (Part 3)
The Proposal (Part 4)
Writer's Note
Drunk Fun (Part 1)
Drunk Fun (Part 2)
Drunk Fun (Part 3)
Transition
Blurb
01. Balls, balls and more balls
02. The art of romance
03. The pink letter
04. Booger brained maggots
05. Dancing with the devil
06. Galloping with my 'lover'
07. In his arms
09. I am in love with a man...wait what?!
10. The mysteries of Rikkard Ambrose
11. Little confessions
12. Smithereens
13 Facts
13. Friends that try to kill me.
14. Fat duck, ugly duck.
15. The barbaric intervention
16. Getting her back
17. Travelling... again
18. Newcastle upon Tyne
19. Family reunion
20. Mrs Ambrose
21. Story Telling
22. Flashbacks
23. Opulence and Decay
24. Lights Out
25. Him again.
26. The madness within
27. The light
Notice
28. Home not so sweet home

08. I waste my time, money and energy on an ifrit

7.4K 457 481
By Cookies_and_love

Goal: 125 votes and as many comments as possible because wattpad prevented comments before this

I tried doing joker makeup (I'll be cosplaying genderbend joker after exams)^^^ (I forgot to put foundation and white paint oops XD). What do you guys think of it? My photo quality and selfie skills suck though...

I SHOULD BE STUDYING WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE

*

There was a trouble with comments (Wattpad is screwing up). Pls pm me or comment on my message board if you still can't comment.

*

Incongruous: Out of place/ unusual/ absurd.

Dead from the neck up: Stupid.

Onerous: Burdensome/oppressive/difficult.

Vociferous: Loud and noisy.

Boreal: Pertaining to the North wind (very cold).

Fatuous: Silly and crazy.

Countenance: Expression.

Saccharine: Sweet/ sugary.

*

Since Miss Hamilton was never fully named and since she'll be quite important in my fanfic (Or I don't remember Sir Rob mentioning her first name), I'll be calling her: Miss Elizabeth Hamilton. :D

****************************

Ambrose's POV ;)

"Don't you find the ball absolutely engaging! Look at all these beautiful decorations and people! Oh how I love parties. They never fail to brighten my day!" Lady Metcalf trilled.

Silence.

"Oh goodness me! Look at Sir Ronaldom. I can't believe he's dancing with Miss Callosworth! Did you know, I heard that he cheated on his wife with another woman? How scandalous!"

More silence.

"I really do find this party extremely entertaining and well organised."

Of course she did. After all, it was her own ball.

"Did you know, I don't mean to be a busybody, but I recently overheard some rumours about Lieutenant Ellingham and his disappearance. Do you have any idea what happened to him? It was quite odd I must say, his disappearance I mean."

Of course I had an idea but I didn't plan to devulge any information on the matter. I kept my lips remained tightly shut, like my purse.

"Oh but anyway, don't you find the ball and the women here absolutely charming?"

"No."

The crinkly hag looked slightly taken aback. "Well..."

"If you are trying to matchmake me with a woman, or coincidentally your daughter, then don't bother."

"I wasn't..."

"Really?" If I had been more liberal with the wasteful act of moving unesseccary facial muscles, my eyebrow would have shifted upwards.

"Sir I..."

"Don't waste your time." I heeded coolly. I felt rather kind that day to squander away my precious words on that irritating female.

Lady Metcalf shot me a cautious glance. "I'm sorry sir."

"For being a nuisance? Then yes you should be."

Why was she staring at me slack jawed? She looked like a goldfish with her mouth agape and eyes bulging. A really ugly, old goldfish.

She stammered nervously, fiddling with her outrageously costly dress in the process. "I...erm..."

I did my second kind act today by saving her from having to come up with some pathetic excuse. "I heard that a Peer of the Realms is here today. Is it true?"

"Oh Lord Dalgliesh you mean? Yes. He is there." Lady Metcalf pointed at the familiar light haired man beguiling a group of moony eyed women. The wealthy woman, who of course still could not beat me in the money department, looked eager to get rid of me.

I wonder why. It must be due to my charming personality.

Without waiting for her to speak again, I marched off. I hated social gatherings with a passion. They were ultimate consumers of time, money and maybe even my sanity.

Out of the blue, an arm latched around mine. My first instinct was to take hold of that hand and yank it out of its socket. Either that, or to twist it behind the person's back and kick the back of their knees so they buckled. However, looking at the lady who had made her way next to me, I was mildly relieved that I hadn't followed my instincts.

"So..." Miss Elizabeth Hamilton smiled at me, flashing her well aligned teeth.

Thinking of teeth, remember the time you told Lillian to check always check the teeth first? It was rather hilarious.

I silenced the random thought that popped up in my head. I didn't need any frustrating thoughts on that rebellious, nosy individual who didn't know how to mind her own business.

She even guessed your purpose incorrectly. Fancy thinking that you came for Elizabeth's sake.

I almost snorted out loud. Lillian, or Mr Linton as I preferred to call her, was incredibly naive. There were moments in which I reconsidered why she was still in my employ.

Females had considerably less sense than men in almost every factor possible. Yes, Lillian could be adequately intelligent on certain occassions, such as her escapade with onions and an infernally expensive dress that I paid for. In spite of that, she could be incredibly dim-witted in the worst of times.

She could still be in your employ because you don't actually want to see her leave.

I immediately slammed the door on my eccentric thoughts. What was wrong with my brain that day? I had no tolerance for voices that spoke out of line, especially not those that spoke nonsense!

"Lord Dalgliesh is here." Elizabeth's soft voice jolted me out of my reverie.

"I can see that."

"Nothing ever misses your sight, does it?"

"No."

She laughed daintily. ″That's good.″

We fell into another comfortable silence that I enjoyed immensely. Elizabeth was one of the very, very few women I could stand without wanting to punch someone in the eye. She wasn't overly talkative, wasn't interested in gaining my affection, and was largely corporative in what I wanted to do.

My eyes roamed my surroundings slowly, taking note of any tiny detail that could be of value. I narrowed in on Daniel Eugene Dalgliesh every few minutes to catch any suspicious activity. By the time twenty minutes and fifty four seconds had passed, I began to get annoyed.

What is he doing here today? If I remembered accurately, which I never ever failed to, he was supposed to have a meeting in the House of Lords at exactly nine in the evening. Him being around was a bad sign that could mean trouble. He was never one to attend an event just for their frivolous activities.

He always had a purpose, a plan.

I gritted my teeth. It would be much more convenient if he were dead from the neck up.

"Let's dance a reel." Elizabeth's fingers suddenly drifted down from my bicep to take my hand. Her fingers weaved between mine and she pulled me towards the dance floor.

"What for? It's a waste of energy." I dug my heels into the ground and used my signature icy glare that never failed to freeze its victims.

Darn it all to hell! Why was it always the women I knew well that never appeared affected by my glower? Their skulls must have been too thick, or brains too small to comprehend my silent message: No.

"Please, Rikkard?"

Every second that passed, with the impudent woman trying to pull me towards my doom, made me gradually withdraw my fairly positive opinion of her.

"You look too awkward standing at the corner, glaring at everyone that passes by. It will appear less conspicuous if we are doing a waltz. In addition, you may get a better view when you're twirling at the centre of the room."

"I don't twirl." I replied coldly. "I simply turn."

Her lips lifted in an ingratiating smile that never failed to make other men melt at her feet. "Please, Rikkard dear?"

Never!

I wasn't like other weak-willed men, so her grin had no effect on me. I tried to stare her down, but she didn't budge.

"Knowing Daniel, he will most likely come on the dance floor soon."

At the mention of my sworn enemy, I was forced to reconsider. She did have a point, however small it might be.

I eventually gave in grudgingly against my better judgement, "Fine."

The overly optimistic atmosphere must have really worn down my resolve.

″Over here.″ She whispered.

″No. There.″

″Here is much better.″

″No.″

″Yes.″

My freezing glare pinned her. ″No. Let's go there.″

″May I know why?″

″Because I say so.″

″If you say so then, Rikkard.″ Her head tilted down in an act of docile submission.

Ha! She knew better than to argue with me.

We situated ourselves strategically such that we had an excellent view of the man in question. She guided my hand around her tiny waist while my other hand clasped hers. Immediately, speculating eyes landed on us and whispers started.

I knew that I, according to popular opinion, was undeniably handsome. But there really wasn't any need for their intrusive gazes and aggravating tittering!

"Lighten up Rikkard. Try to act more natural."

"I am natural."

She raised an eyebrow, amused, as she observed my tense posture and lack of emotions. "I must say that your idea of natural is quite conventionally different."

"Indeed."

Her lips parted to say something else, but the music saved me from the onerous conversation by swelling with gusto to signify the beginning of a dance. Couples sprang into action as the violins squealed like tortured souls and flutes cried out vociferously. It was the epitome of hell.

″Are you enjoying yourself?″ Elizabeth asked as she spun gracefully.

Horrible! Absolutely, horrendously terrible!

″Splendidly.″

The music abated before beginning a cresendo that made my ears cry out in agony. The music and dance were like poisons to my tortured soul. I wished vehemently for a break from the pretentious waltz, thus Miss Hamilton's question came as a temporary relief ― like a glass of water in a desert.

″What will our next move be?″

I shifted my eyes from the sly, aquiline face of my adversary, to my ally. My tired brain whirred to life and conjured up multitudes of ideas upon my command, until I finally settled on the most appropriate course of action. ″Our first move will be...″

She stared expectantly at me, obediently awaiting my orders like always.

I swallowed, my throat dry and voice sounding foreign to my own ears.

″To get her out of the picture.″

~*~*~*~*~*

Daniel Eugene Dalgliesh was dancing with Lillian Linton.

The very sight seemed to send fire coursing through my veins, melting all ice in the process. I felt my eyes spark with wrath.

How dare he? That conniving bastard!

I could see right through him. I always could. His goal had been the same for years ― to tear me down. Daniel would jump at anything he thought was a chink in my armour, and right now, he suspected Lillian to be of some value to me.

Well, I had to admit that he was right. I needed Lillian. Without her, I would have to engage in the tiring, mundane job of carrying my own files and sorting through useless letters that mainly consisted of desperate mothers inviting me to balls.

I mentally shuddered as I recalled the time I had to do all the secretary work by myself after the traiterous Mr Simmons resigned. It was utterly abominable.

″I managed to pick up on some gossip.″ Elizabeth returned to my side at the corner of the room. ″I believe that it might be of use to you.″

I didn't turn. ″Yes?″

″It was Daniel who invited Miss Lillian Linton to the ball.″

This time, I did turn. My movement was so quick and sharp that Elizabeth jumped.

What?

″There are rumours that he is deeply, fully in love with Lillian and is pursuing her hand in marriage.″

Codswallop! Utter bollocks! It can't be true!

If I felt anger before, it was nothing compared to what I felt after hearing the gossips. Daniel had made an incredibly bold but dangerous move by trying to get to me through Lillian, and I would make sure he paid for that...dearly.

″That's not all, Rikkard. I too overheard some talk about a man named Captain James Carter.″

That name sounded abominably familiar.

″What about him?″

″They say that he's in love with Lillian too.″

What?

How many men must there be in 'love' with that...that...

Oddly charming and disarming woman?

Ye― No! She was not at all charming and disarming. More of incredibly irritating and alarming.

When did you start rhyming your words?

I shook my head imperceptibly to clear the unusual number of inner thoughts I was having.

″Captain James Carter is of a high-ranking position in the British Army. It will be more difficult to cover up his disappearance if that is what you are planning.″

A memory clicked in my head. I remembered that name. It was the blasted man who followed Lillian all the way to Egypt! Or as she claimed, he was there for other businesses.

″The key word is 'difficult'.″ I kept my voice arctic and steady. ″Nothing is impossible when you have money and connections.″

″But is it necessary? He doesn't appear to be much of a threat.″

I shrugged. ″Not everyone is who they appear to be.″

″True. But it will be an unneccessary waste of expenses to dispose of him.″

Elizabeth made me reconsider with the words 'waste of expenses'.

″You're right. It's not worth it.″

″Thank you. I believe that we should stick to your previous idea of getting rid of Lillian. It might be much more effective.″

I tilted my head. ″You think so?″

″Yes.″ She smiled, eyes twinkling. ″Knowing your previous interactions with her, I have a scheme that I'm confident will work.″

″Adequate."

Wait...

"What previous interactions?″ My voice lowered suspiciously.

Her lips curled and eyes gleamed with the pleasure of a satisfied lioness. ″The kisses.″

I felt some of the ice in my words thaw to become fierce impulsiveness. ″How do you know about that?″

″I have my sources.″

My chilled fury only served to make her smile, like a satisfied cat. She was a sly being. So crafty that she could match up to Daniel in that factor. ″Just trust me. I know what I'm doing.″

″I never trust, but I always verify.″

″But when have I ever failed you Rikkard?″

My teeth grinded together. If I kept on doing that, I'll be left with two rows of stubs in my mouth. The spoken words felt like ashes on my tongue. ″Never.″

″Exactly.″

″Fine. Then what's your scheme?″

Elizabeth glanced over at Daniel and Lillian, in which both of them had their eyes on us. Elizabeth smirked knowingly and leaned in. I had to stop myself from flinching away on instinct.

″Jealousy.″

My eyebrow didn't wait for my instructions before it rose sky high. What was that absurd thing she was speaking about?

″She's a loyal little thing. Jealousy works magic on people like her.″

″Are you sure that will work?″ I was skeptical. I didn't see how jealousy could achieve what I desired.

Her face lit up smugly. ″Women are complicated creatures, but some things never differ much.″

My eyes found their way back to Lillian who had her head twisted towards me. Was that anger I saw on her face? But why would she be unhappy? I should have been the furious one. After all, I was the one Daniel wanted to ruin.

The scheming blonde imbecile moved his face next to Lillian's before mumbling something into it. Her eyebrows furrowed and she whirled around to look at him. My pinkie twitched violently.

″Don't say anything.″

When do I ever want to?

Elizabeth leaned towards me before I could protest, and rested her head on my shoulder.

″Wha-″

″Shush.″ She murmured.

Just at that moment, Lillian turned back around. Her eyes locked with mine for a split second and I could see something glint in the depths of her gaze. Something that looked sharp, fiery... broken? Like shattered glass.

″Why, pray, are you doing this atrocious act?″ I hissed.

″Making Lillian jealous.″

″What for? I still don't see how this will work.″

″It will make her so angry that she'll leave, just as you asked for.″

Whatever Elizabeth was doing seemed to match up to her predictions. Lillian did indeed look less than pleased.

″But if this fails...″ My voice trailed of warningly.

She adjusted her head such that she was smiling sweetly up at me. ″It won't.″

″It better not.″

I transferred my attention back to the dance floor where the unlikely 'couple' stood stationary as other partners twirled past them. Daniel locked eyes with me and I matched his steel look with my own boreal one.
″Our next problem will be Daniel and his paranoia.″

″I know."

A hard smile stretched unnaturally across Daniel's features as he threw a small mocking nod our way. I didn't respond.

This meant war.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I couldn't believe it ― he was hugging her. The pesky, brown haired lad with a ridiculous speck of beard on his chin, was touching none other than Miss Lillian Linton!

I felt my muscles tense as he patted her back gently, her body racked with sobs. She looked so small, feminine... fragile, something that I rarely ever got a glimpse of. She was always a tower of strength and independence, but now she was crying in the arms of a man.

Another man.

That incongruous sight spurred an odd sensation to tug in my thoracic cavity.

I quickly dismissed it. I must have pulled a muscle while dancing.

″I hate him!″ A muffled cry came from the young woman on the balcony. She was so loud that a few people turned to stare in curiousity.

The pesky captain hurriedly rubbed her back and whispered sweet nothings into her ear. That seemed to make her body relax ever so slightly.

She's likely refering to you. Why am I not surprised?

My finger twitched... once... twice... thrice.

What was she doing with him? Of all people she could cry on, it had to be the chum I unfortunately got to know of at Egypt! Talk about bad decisions.

At least it isn't Daniel she is blubbering on.

"Rikkard." Miss Hamilton wrapped and arm fluidly around my stiff one.

I ignored her.

She sighed as she traced the creases of my cloak with a finger, "What's the matter?" Her voice was sultry like always ― a lodestone for many men ― but I couldn't find it in myself to be affected by it. I had known her for too long to be bothered.

″It worked.″ I had to say that I was pretty surprised at the drastic effects it had on Lillian.

Elizabeth didn't answer to that. Looking at her from the corner of my eye, I could see a smug countenance. It was the look of a successful predator.

She always had that expression. This woman was the one of the most dangerous females I had ever associated myself with. She could destroy any lesser man with only a sugary smile and a snap of her dainty fingers. I had to grudgingly admit that Elizabeth was fairly capable for a female. But I wasn't ever going to tell her that.

I asked on impulse, the tearful scene before me stirring something unpleasant deep within, "Was it the right decision?"

Her finger halted on its journey down my arm. She glanced at me then shifted her intense emerald gaze to what would appear to be a couple on the balcony to anyone who didn't know better.

A distant cry came from the hazel haired woman I had gotten to know so well, and simultaneously regretted ever getting aquainted with.

With each strangled whimper she emitted, I felt something in my chest pull, writhe and convulse. It was hellishly uncomfortable.

What is wrong with you?

I didn't know. I never seemed to understand myself when it came to anything concerning my secretary.

Elizabeth stared calculatively at the captain and Lillian for a long three minutes and twenty four seconds before she spoke.

"Right? It wasn't right."

"Then―"

"But it was good." She cut me off. "It was harsh, but it was good. It was what you wanted, wasn't it?"

"Yes..."

"She'll leave, just like you always wished for. Then she'll be out of harm's way, or at least as safe as someone of her calliber can get."

I was almost temped to let out a harsh chuckle. Safe? She'll never be safe with Daniel around. But she could be safer if she pulled out from the power struggle that was never meant for women.

″But be warned Rikkard. Daniel will still pursue her. He has suspected too much to truly stop now. You'll have to lead him off course by yourself and severe all ties with Lillian if you want her to live past twenty.″

″I know.″ What was that odd stirring in my chest? What was the matter with me? Was I falling sick?

″Good. I can only do so much as to help you and your... female friend.″

I nodded curtly in acknowledgement.

″Oh, and just so that you are aware, Daniel cut me off the moment he discovered my allegiance is with you. I can't do much about him anymore.″

My fists clenched. Oh how I abhored that man, that miserable individual. He could never mind his own business, could he?

″It doesn't matter. I have other ways to take him down.″

Her lips lifted in a bitter smile. ″Good.″

I shrugged.

″But what about your family Rikkard? That's an entirely separate matter altogether. And a complicated matter it is.″

I fixed her with an emotionless look. ″I won't need your assistance in that. It is something I'll need to deal with alone.″

She curtsied. ″As you desire, Rikkard. May I then take my leave? I have other matters to address.″

″Go.″

With another curtsy and saccharine smile, she flounced off in a swirl of expensive silk.

There seemed to be a never ending torrent of tears that Lillian could produce. Who needed twenty minutes to cry? Who needed to cry anyway? It was a severe misuse of one's energy and time, I must say.

After watching the man and woman for some time ― which I actually forgot to take note of, how unacceptable! ― I decided that I wasn't utilising my time wisely. In addition, the sight of them seemed to give me some severe indigestion.

I didn't think too much into what her tears really meant. With one last fleeting glance at Lillian, who had her face buried in the man's chest, I strode off.

Damn it!

Each step I took acted like a tiny blow to the centre of my heart. No matter what I told myself, I couldn't fully understand its presence and its persistence on staying. But even then, I didn't turn or try to look back at the man and woman on the balcony, bathed in silvery moonlight.

And maybe walking away was better.

I wasn't sure what fatuous things I might have done if I had to watch my ifrit pour out her heart to someone who wasn't me.

****************************

Goal: 125 votes and as many comments as possible because wattpad prevented comments before this

I really, really hope that I got Ambrose's POV right. *Awkward laughter*. This chapter was so difficult to write omg.

Please leave feedback for this chapter

CREDITS:

Thank you to Jen0889 again for this chapter idea. You really have spiffing suggestions!

And thank you so, so, SO MUCH to Dreamchaser002 for sending me Ambrose's POV (as I eventually couldn't get it on my own). She made it possible for me to write this chapter because I wouldn't have had the confidence to write this without first examining Sir Rob's version.

Also thank you to all those who offered to help. :D

*

I'm currently in the midst of my exam *screeches* so chapters will most likely be shorter. If worse comes to worse, I'll have to skip updates(which I really hope I won't have to do).

Love you all!

Beth (≧ω≦)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 79 17
He doesn't had anything else to achieve as now he gained all . He is the most powerful and now he has everything he ever wanted . Everything which o...
500K 25.1K 46
A/N I am currently editing and rewiring this a little because their are some grammar mistakes and parts of the story that can be explained and writte...
58.5K 1.8K 20
Storm and Silence there aren't enough words to describe how amazing the book is in general. They also can't stop getting better and better as the seq...
9.5M 197K 90
[Book one in the Nystrom duology] [Read tw before proceeding] [Dual pov] TW: This book contains heavy themes such as mature content, language and sen...