Deceiving Veils

By LettingYouIn

About a time when anarchy took over a place where once order prevailed. She being daughter of the one whose d... More

Prologue
Chapter-1 {Other side of the fence}
Chapter-2{The bitter}
Chapter-3 {Fragile}
Chapter-4{Not that word}
Chapter-5 {Contrasting Confrontations}
Chapter-6{Haze}
Chapter 7{Two loose ends}
Chapter-8{Whys}
Chapter-9{Promise?}
Chapter-10{Undefined stakes}
Chapter-11{An end or a beginning}
Chapter-12{Standing at door of dark chamber}
Chapter-13{Hers to walk}
Chapter-14{Unfolding}
Chapter-15{Veils}
Chapter-16 {Shutting you out}
Chapter-17{This ain't getting solved}
Chapter-18 {It's Nothing}
Chapter-19{Stakes and a life}
Chapter-20{She has to}
Chapter-22{That sweet tension}
Chapter-23{Helpless intrusions}
Chapter-24{I don't want to talk}
Chapter-25{Equations and complexities}
Chapter-26{Sweet Tantrums}
Chapter-27{Turning back the clock}
Chapter-28{Before the storm}
Chapter-29{Defying the Dark}
Chapter-30 {The furnace}
Chapter-31{Amendments}
Chapter-32{Unrest}
Chapter-33{Storming}
Chapter-34{A good night}
Chapter-35{A little more snarled}
Chapter-36 {Symphony}
Chapter-37{Intersection point}
Chapter-38{Fire and Ice}
Chapter-39{From the ashes}
Chapter-40{A fire shall be woken}
Chapter-41 {Cold harsh ground}
Chapter-42{We see the light}
Chapter-43{Won't ever let you go}
Chapter-44{Bridge Of Eyes}
Chapter-45 {An abode and loose ends}
Chapter-46{Sealing the gaps}
Chapter-47{A day of dawns}
Chapter-48{Pull and Push}
Chapter- 49{Battle of flames}
Chapter- 50{Taming the heat}
Chapter-51{It's not what it seems}
Chapter-52{Days without nights}
Chapter-53{ Travail of inception}
Chapter-54{A Turning Point}
Chapter-55{Sweet knots which ache sour}
Chapter-56 {Into the murk}
Chapter-57 {Alternate Tophet}
Chapter- 58{will-o'-the-wisp}
Chapter-59{ Sweet vengeance}
Chapter-60 {Warrior princess and a knight}
Chapter- 61{Ghosts of Boneyard}
Chapter - 62{Everything and nothing}
Chapter-63 {Bare Souled }
Chapter -64{Nowhere else to be}
Chapter- 65{And It starts}
Chapter-66-A{Day and night}
Chapter-67 {Surfacing wounds}
Chapter- 68{Before he fastens it}
•| TEASER |•
Chapter-69 {Soft Snowflakes}
Chapter -70 {Metamorphosis}
Author's Note

Chapter-21{Not now, Not ever}

3.6K 344 110
By LettingYouIn

For the first time maybe, her reality was prettier than dreams. What dream was taking away, truth chose to give back. Not all of it, but that one bit and she guessed it mattered. He was standing right there when she opened her eyes. He didn't leave. His eyes were nothing less than chasm which could actually splosh any moment. They had moist which could never be named as tears. It was much more than she could even word. He was just standing there unmoved, blanch and forwent. His muscles were stiffened and she could see how hard he was trying to contain something. 

They both didn't stop looking at each other. Surroundings were insulted in every possible way and neighbors had walked out owing to the utter negligence. 

"How are you?" He asked as soon as room held their breaths only. 

His voice was low yet profound. 

"I am fine," She answered and tried to get up. Her head spun as soon as she made a movement. His arm encircled her neck as she lost the grip over her spine. And out of sudden, all she wanted to do was crying. She was alive and it wasn't a dream. She could feel his breath on her forehead as he put her down. Before he could retrench his warmth from her, her eyes saw a cut on his forehead. Her eyes just couldn't get away. Her hand tentatively touched the cut and he looked at her. His eyes met hers so close. Her finger lingered on his wound and he just kept grasping every bit of it. 

"You are hurt," She murmured as she made an accord with his skin. Her touch was healing as he smiled a bit. 

"Not anymore," He said and then slowly withdrew his arm from her neck. She gasped in agitation.

"You should rest," He said and did the curtains. 

"Manik," She called his name and he immediately turned to her. 

"Let them open, please," She said and he left them open. 

"Where am I?" She asked and his face fell. 

___________________________

"Is she awake?" Harshad asked furiously to Doctor. Doctor nodded but then added, "She is still critical, Harshad. She needs time."

"I don't care if she is critical or dead. I just want that bloody thing out of my camp," He spewed and turned to storm in room. 

Aaashi walked between him and door. She had an equal amount of ire written over her face as she glared a fuming Harshad. 

"Step away," He growled and Aashi shuddered a bit. 

"I won't," She said in trembling yet firm tone. 

"She is innocent. Can't you see it?" She asked and his eyes met hers.

  "She and innocent?" He chuckled ridiculing. 

"She belongs to the family which took my everything. Your everything. Ours everything," He said pointing aimlessly. 

"But she hasn't done anything," Aashi retorted quickly. 

"Did she take away your anything?" She asked and he looked away. 

"Did she harm any of us?" She asked. 

"Ask yourself and then speak," She said poking his chest. 

"I can't believe it you are defending an enemy," He said and shook his head.

"And I can't believe it how you are refusing to accept the truth," She retaliated and he glared her.

"Think about it Harshad, why army is after her when she is one of them? Why she is running from them? Why they harmed her? Why she is the one lying in hospital bed?" She asked and he looked a bit taken aback. 

"Listen," He growled, "Do not try to rule my mind."

"I am not," She said in firm low tone. 

"I am just trying to open your eyes," She added and he walked away furiously.

_________________________________

After two days

"Wake up, beautiful," Aashi wished a sleepy Nandini and opened the curtains. 

Nandini covered her face with palm and then wished Aaashi back in a sleepy voice. 

"Here's the soup for my lady," Aashi puffed the hot soup as Nandini got up and leaned on pillow. 

Putting soup in her mouth, Aashi smiled in content and Nandini wiped side of her lip.

"Where's Manik?" She asked and Aashi halted the spoon midair with a teasing smile.

"I sent him away because he doesn't let me spend time with you," Aashi answered and then shoved the soup in Nandini's mouth. 

"Huh?" Nandini asked all bewildered. Aashi chuckled at her panicked expression.

"I sent him to take a shower as he was stinky. He won't just leave the room. Such a stubborn," Aashi complained and then again filled the spoon.

"Two days and he hadn't even left the veranda," She added and then carefully put the spoon in Nandini's mouth. 

Nandini smiled a bit. 

"What you two keep talking all day?" Aashi asked and Nandini's smile eloped.

"We don't talk," Nandini answered passively. Aashi kept looking at her to elaborate.

"He would just sit here and do all the stuff but talk," She added. 

"He is weird," Aashi accepted and then smiled sheepishly. 

"Are camp mates still angry?" Nandini asked. 

Smile from Aashi's face disappeared and she sank into some thought.

"They are. But they would come around," Aashi answered. 

"I want to talk to them, Aashi," Nandini insisted. 

"Not now, Nandini. First you get well, then we'll talk about it," Aashi said and gave the cloth to Nandini. 

Nandini nodded and then looked out of window. 

"By the way, Doctor said I can take you out for a little walk today," Aashi informed and waited for a heartily smile to touch Nandini's lips. 

Nandini's eyes shone in excitement and she smiled.

"First, let me give you a sponge bath. Then we'll go out," Aashi said and did the curtains. 

________________________

Manik was returning from dorm and was walking  towards dispensary with an urgency. 

"So, how's she?" He heard a familiar voice and halted in his place. 

He turned around and saw a dismal Aryan standing a bit away. He looked bleak and depressed. 

"It shouldn't bother you," Manik answered briefly and then turned around to resume his walk. 

"It matters, Manik," Aryan stated in illegible tone. He seemed to be drunk.

Manik stopped but didn't look his way. 

"It was my fault," Aryan confessed inaudibly. 

Now he had Manik's attention. Manik looked at him keenly.

"It was my idea to attack the army unit," He confessed and Manik's blood boiled. 

"I didn't want to hurt her," Aryan stated and then stole a glance of Manik. 

"But then everything was going wrong," He added.

"She too was going away. She was choosing you," He confessed and Manik's mouth opened a bit in shock. 

"She was supposed to trust me. She was supposed to be with me. You were not supposed to be there with her. I was supposed to be her hero. She was supposed to be with army and I beside her. But nothing of it happened," He kept mumbling vaguely but Manik could see everything make sense. 

"Harshad listened to you. You were protecting her. I was again a sidelined man," He added and then almost cried. 

Manik's blood was steaming and head was spinning. 

"So I suggested Harshad that we should attack," He told sobbing. 

"And I am not guilty," He said and then broadened his chest trying to smile. 

"How did you know she was with me?" Manik asked gritting his teeth, trying not to kill him very next second.

"Do you think I am a fool?" Aryan mocked and then laughed hysterically. 

"I could see you and Aashi planning all the time. She taking things from dorm and then walking to somewhere," He added proudly. It touched the last string of patience left. Manik strode towards him and held him from his collar. 

"How could you?" Manik asked spitting fire. 

"How could you?" He repeated and then pulled him off the floor. 

Aryan just laughed seeing fuming Manik and then looked away. 

"How could I?" He asked and then pushed Manik away. 

"How could I?" He shouted so loud. 

People came out of their dorms and looked at them clueless. 

"You son of a bitch," Aryan dug his fingers in Manik's jaw and spitted in his face.

"You stole my everything. And you ask how could I?" He yelled and then jerked Manik away. 

Aashi who was walking Nandini out froze to her place as she heard Aryan. She rushed to them leaving Nandini alone.

"Aryan," She yelled and then pushed him so hard. 

"Shut up," She shouted and then again pushed him farther. 

"Why should I shut up?" He retorted  and again walked to Manik. Manik looked ached as he tried to gulp Aryan's words.

"This bloody son of my father always took away my everything," He said poking Manik's chest harshly. Manik pushed him away and tried to leave the place but Aryan held him from elbow and pushed back. 

"Face it you loser," Aryan yelled in his ear. 

Nandini's eyes were already brimming as she saw Manik so ached. His face was twinging as he twitched his every muscle in response. 

"Your mother took away my mother's share of love. My father chose you. My father loved you," Aryan yelled yet again and Manik looked away throbbing in pain. He was shaking in anger and he didn't know how to release it. His fist clenched and he jerked it in air trying to bear the pain. Nandini slowly walked towards them with a slight lump in leg. She had her drip bottle in one hand as she lumped towards them. 

"My mother cried her whole life but didn't kick you out of our lives. She suffered everyday seeing your face," Aryan spewed and then choked.

Aashi turned Aryan to face her and slapped hard. Realizing what had she done, she palmed her mouth. Aryan grabbed Aashi in anger and threw on Manik.

"My sister," He continued, "She loves you more than she could ever love me."

"Whatever was mine, is taken by you," He said throwing his arms ahead.

Manik's face burned in anger as Aryan manhandled Aashi. He strode towards him and punched him hard. Aryan fell on ground and held his nose. His nose was bleeding. He stood up in rage and kicked Manik in gut. Manik didn't move a bit. His ache was too much to let him feel any physical pain.

"What? Don't have guts to listen more?" Aryan questioned and held Manik's collar. 

"Then she came," He said looking at a shocked Nandini. Manik didn't look her way. Nandini just wanted to run and grab him in arms. 

"She came and she chose you," Aryan said and then held his waist. 

"She too chose you," He shouted and Nandini shuddered. 

"I was the one who was beside her but she chose you," saying this he advanced dangerously towards Nandini. Before he could reach her, a hand dragged him back and he fell on ground with a force. 

Manik was standing there. His face was red and eyes were spitting fire. He was that angry that blood had flowed down to his eyes. 

Aryan laughed hysterically and then looked at all the traumatized faces. Aashi was numb. Manik was fuming and he was breathing so heavily. Nandini had fear written all over her face. He laughed more. 

"And you ask how could I?" He ridiculed.

"I had every valid reason," He added and got up. 

"If her luck wasn't kind, I would have loved to see her lying dead," He said pointing at Nandini. 

"She deserves only pain and dark," He concluded with utmost venom, "Because she chose you,"

Before he could even sigh in venomous content, a punch dislocated his jaw. Manik didn't stop after that. One punch after another, he just kept beating Aryan till two arms literally snatched him away. Harshad was dragging Manik away from a half dead Aryan. There was no end to Manik's fury. He broke the lock of Harshad's arms and again kicked Aryan. Harshad along with his brother dragged him back and pushed on ground. 

"He will die," Harshad tried to knock some sense into Manik. 

Harshit collected an unconscious Aryan from ground and took him away. Manik got up and then stormed away. He didn't even spare glance at anyone. He just walked out of building. Nandini didn't know what to do. She saw a numb Aashi and then at way where Manik had disappeared. Aashi walked towards her dorm without saying anything. Nandini called her numerous times but she didn't stop. With great difficulty, she tried to follow her but before she could continue, Harshad passed by. He stormed towards her dorm and Nandini halted. She looked at direction where Manik had gone and then upstairs. She was bewildered. 

_______________________________

Her breaths were hitched as she walked a few meters in uneasy paths of jungle. Her thigh was paining so bad. Her head was spinning a little but she wanted to see him. She couldn't wait for him to be back. She couldn't bear that anxiety. She had never seen him that broken and she couldn't even think how he would be feeling at that moment. Her stitches ached as she took another step. Her drip bottle was shaking as her hand was trembling. She held it tightly and then resumed her walk. 

After few more meters, she saw him. He was sitting on a rock and his back was turned on her. She tried to pace up but her leg didn't help. Helplessness brew in her eyes and she didn't know when she was crying. She controlled her tears and reached him. 

He was sitting quietly. She didn't know how to call him. First time, she wasn't afraid of his rage or his refusal but of facing his pained face. She didn't know if she could see him that way. 

"Go away," He growled. She shuddered as he knew she was there. 

"I don't need anyone's sympathy," He added in a hoarse voice. 

Nandini walked rapidly to face him and saw him what broken could ever define. He was beyond that. He was angry, ached and buried. She just kept looking his ached face and didn't even realize when her eyes had started to cascade. 

"Talk to me, Manik," She said as she tried to cup his face with her spare hand. He jerked her hand away before she could even touch his flesh. 

"GO AWAY," He shouted and then quivered in utter fury which was becoming too much for him to contain. 

"NO, I won't," She shouted back and touched his face. He closed his eyes and a sole tear escaped. Before she could even start to move her fingers, he pulled her so harsh and clasped in his strong arms. Nestling in her chest, he shattered. He wasn't crying but his hot breaths were more lucid that his tears could ever. His clasp took away her breaths for a second or two. It was so tight. She just held him trying to match his grip but alas, there was nothing she could return except for what he sought. 

"My mother wasn't what Aryan said," He said in a broken voice. Nandini shuddered as he spoke. 

"My father didn't take away anything from anyone," He added and then squalled. His lungs were not supporting his voice. 

Nandini's chin wobbled as she heard him so broken. She didn't know how would she even listen to what was making him so weak. 

"My father didn't betray Aashi's mother and my mother didn't snatch anything from anyone," He said angrily.  Nandini's heart ached and she couldn't wait anymore. She tried to say something but quivering lips refused to let any word out. 

"It's okay," She said trying not sob.

"I didn't take away anything from them," He said diving his face in her stomach.

"You didn't," She said almost choking and then rested her cheek on his head.

Caressing his back gently, she just kept sobbing. Wet of her eyes rolled down his hair. It was outre contrast that she was the one crying for pain his heart held. 

Minutes passed and they stayed like that. He didn't loosened his clasp even a bit. He was holding onto her warmth as if it was only way to survive the storm going inside him. She just kept caressing his flesh when she knew it wasn't half of what he needed. 

His grip loosened and she thought he would withdraw then. He had already let her in beyond her rights. He just gently embraced her frame and settled his cheek on her tummy looking at trees beside. 

"Won't you ask me why Aryan said all those things?" He asked lowly. 

Nandini tried to part herself from him to look at him but he didn't let go. 

"No, I won't," She answered softly and stroked his hair a bit. 

"Not until you want to tell," She said and again kept her cheek on his head. 

She heard him sighing and then he withdrew slowly. His face looked a bit less ached then. He looked a lot calmer. He looked at her and noticed the dampness in her eyes. His eyes traveled to her drip and then reality struck. 

"I am fine," She murmured before worry could even invade their moment. 

He got up, his hands still on her waist. Looking into her eyes for those sweet seconds, his lips curved into a smile. Nandini smiled back. He could tell she was holding on a thin string which could break anytime. She was counting sweet seconds until he would turn his back and shut her out. But this time she wasn't going to be angry about it. 

Looking in those doe eyes, his hand cupped her face. She just kept looking at him with those twinkling teary eyes. His spare arm slid across her waist gently and he pulled her up a bit where his breath could mingle with hers. Chasm of her eyes was now sploshing a bit. A tear escaped it but then his finger gathered it before it could have privilege to travel down her cheek. She closed her eyes as his breath collided with of hers as if they were making their own space in her space. Tears didn't stop then. His fingers were no longer barring them. Everything was going numb around as she couldn't feel her own gasps anymore. His lips were so close to her quivering lips. 

"Not now... not ever," He murmured against her shivering lips and before she could even grasp his words. His lips seized her palpitating lips. Her hand which was settled on his chest clutched his shirt so tight while each pore of her lips was seized by his throbbing lips. There was millions of something crackling in her mind as he carved his niche on her lips. Something sizzling inside her head which she could never name. He wasn't rough. He wasn't gentle. He was just so...breathtaking. Her tummy had rolled itself into quickest of knots, each crackling with a gratifying explosion. 

Before she could even come at terms with his sweet breach, he withdrew. She gasped aloud as wind touched her wet lips. It tingled. Air literally punished those throbbing lips of hers for being away from his tender pattern. She slowly opened her damped eyes and saw him standing there unapologetic.

"I am not letting you go ever," He mumbled on her lips and now she knew what he meant. She smiled as she looked down at chasm their bodies had made. 

He picked her up in arms and started to walk back towards camp. His eyes didn't leave her timid ones for fine few seconds and then he looked ahead. Nandini looked up at him and tried to find a sign of regret or something alike. She didn't find any. She then tried to find that faint pulse inside her which should have told otherwise but she couldn't find any. She smiled coyly and then looked everywhere but his face. 

Soon there was a building in front of them and her heart was thumping loud. She didn't know how to face her own sweet storm when she would be alone. She just clutched his shoulder hard in nervousness. He walked them in. He didn't seem afraid and she was nervous as much as she could be. 

_________________________

Unedited*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

565K 15.7K 31
He did not love her. It was a loveless marriage to him. In his eyes, she is just a burden who cooks food for him. And in return, he will earn money a...
9.6M 372K 106
Book 1 of (The Awakening Series) {#1 Supernatural} {#1 Paranormal} {#1 Lycans} {#1 Vampire Romance} {#5 Royalty} The world went to shit long before I...
418 139 35
Two lives connected by fate. Two lives, two hearts. One love. Breaking each other's walls, Indigo and Daniel defeat enemies in the game, unraveling s...
220 4 8
Nichole was neither in hell nor purgatory when every little slither of hope that she tried to grasp onto would slip between her fingers. When neither...