Shifting Love

By alwaysyour1girl

All wolf shifters are born with a mate, the one you are destined to spend the rest of your life with. Arianna... More

Chapter 1: Meet My Arrogant Prick of a Mate
Chapter 2: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mate
Chapter 3: My Little Black Dress
Chapter 4: Fate Has A Cruel Sense Of Humor
Chapter 5: Secrets, Secrets Are No Fun
Chapter 6: Don't Go Breaking My Heart
Chapter 7: Be Careful What You Wish For
Chapter 8: Me And My Big Mouth
Chapter 9: Trust In Me
Chapter 10: Your Choices Change Everything
Chapter 11: Nightmares or Reality?
Chapter 12: Johnny's Game
Chapter 13: You're Worth The Pain
Chapter 14: Have You Lost Your Damn Mind?
Chapter 15: Be On Your Best Behavior
Chapter 16: My Knight In Shining Armor
Chapter 17: Memories Never Fade
Chapter 18: There's A New Alpha In Town
Chapter 19: Thank God For My Fear Of Heights
Chapter 20: The One I Can Call My Own
Chapter 21: Eyes Are The Windows To Your Soul
Chapter 23: A Glimpse Into The Past and A Hopeful Future
Chapter 24: I Can Play This Game
Chapter 25: Easier Said Than Done
Chapter 26: An Alpha Needs A Mate By His Side
Chapter 27: The Escape
Chapter 28: A Change Of Heart
Chapter 29: Breathe For Me
Chapter 30: Secrets At Breakfast Is An Art
Chapter 31: The End Is Only The Beginning
A Note

Chapter 22: Whistling For A Kiss

57.6K 963 24
By alwaysyour1girl

My hair splayed out around my head like a golden halo. We lay on the ground trying to point out different shapes in the clouds. It was our favorite activity ever since we were little kids. We were older now so it was just something to pass the time.

I giggled when he tried to convince me that a fluffy cloud looked like a dragon. It clearly resembled a bunny rabbit. We had grass stains all over our previously ironed clothes. My mother would give us another stern lecture about it. We were too old to be yelled at for stains.

Lunch had already passed. We were sharing a bowl of red, juicy strawberries that were dripping all over our shirts. Logan wasn't really fond of the fruit but they were my favorite. He wouldn't complain about eating them.

He harshly plucked up two blades of grass and pressed them together. He placed them between his lips. A light red lock of hair fell into his eye as he gently blew air through them.

High pitched whistling pierced the silent air. A twang of jealousy settled in the pit of my stomach. No matter how many times he tried to teach me and how many times I tried, I was a lost cause. I couldn't whistle whether it was with blades of grass or just my lips.

"Don't worry, Ari, you will get it one day," he offered encouragingly.

But it seemed like I would never feel the air rushing through my lips and hear the resulting melodic tune.

He rolled over clutching his stomach with laughter at my fifth failed attempt to whistle. My cheeks burned with embarrassment before I smacked him in the back of his head for making me feel bad. I quickly stood up and stormed off into the woods leaving him behind me.

Stupid jerk. I couldn't believe he had the nerve to laugh at me! He was supposed to be my best friend. Well he would regret making fun of me tomorrow when I'm not speaking to him. That would show him.

I stopped grumbling around and sat down on a log just near the edge of the woods. I was too far deep into my thoughts about plotting against Logan that I hadn't noticed someone sit down next to me.

"You are holding your lips all wrong."

"Excuse me?" I asked, turning to look at the stranger.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when the voice spoke. But the feeling of fear didn't take hold of me when I looked up into his eyes. There was a sense of familiarity somewhere but at the same time something else deep inside me that I just couldn't place.

"You are supposed to put your lips together like you are going to kiss someone. Make sure you curl your tongue a little inside your mouth."

"I have never kissed someone," I awkwardly admitted to the boy.

His lips curled up into a smile, "I find it hard to believe that a beautiful girl like yourself has never been kissed."

I slowly shook my head already feeling the blood rushing to my face. I knew a bright red tinge was settling onto my face.

"Well we will have to change that then. We can't have you going around not being able to whistle or having never been kissed."

"We can't?" I asked excitedly.

"No."

He gradually leaned in and pressed his peach lips against mine. The kiss only lasted a couple seconds but it left a lasting impression on me. He tasted like peppermint. I was sure he could taste the strawberries on my lips.

When his lips pushed up on mine I felt this weird jolt inside of me. It was like when you rub your socks on the carpet then touch someone. You shock them. It was the strangest feeling I had ever felt.

We instantly backed away from each other. I was so embarrassed that I just kissed a complete stranger. He swiped a hand through his black hair and cursed under his breath. He pushed himself off the log we had been sharing. His electric blue eyes locked with my sparkling green ones for a moment.

My eyes shot open and my body jolted in the position I was lying in. I instantly regretted the rapid movement as I clutched my aching ribs and groaned in pain. Thoughts quickly raced through my head. I was trying to make sense of what was going on.

I tried to remember why my ribs were hurting to being with but nothing came to mind.

"They pushed you down the stairs," a voice answered from the dark.

"Who?" was all I managed to croak out.

"It's Alpha Daniel, Arianna."

I tried to take a deep breath. I hissed at the sharp stabbing at my ribs the inhaling caused me. If there was one thing I hated it was broken ribs.

Calm down, Arianna, calm down. Think about anything but your ribs. Think about your dream.

What was that dream about? I could have sworn the only time I met Dante was at his mother's funeral. But I absolutely knew the boy who kissed me was Dante. Was that just a dream or reality? I couldn't remember if that actually happened.

I knew the part with Logan was real. He constantly made fun of me about my inability to whistle. But after that day I could whistle perfectly. The stranger taught me how to pout my lips, curl my tongue and blow air through my lips. All from the kiss; the kiss that created sparks inside me. I had kissed Dante without even knowing it.

Did he know we had kissed? He probably didn't remember. He couldn't have otherwise he would have said something to me about it now.

Even though it was dark and my ribs were searing with unimaginable pain my lips curled into a small smile. I had to hold onto that smile, that feeling inside me. It was all I had to hold onto until this hell was over and I was back in his arms.

"How long?" I asked. I could barely talk but I knew Daniel would know what I was asking.

"Just the day. They couldn't risk putting you out for too long."

I nodded my head before realizing he couldn't see me.

"Everyone?"

"Yes all the Alphas and their mates are down here. Your aunt and uncle are here as well. They are all asleep right now though. I suppose it's around midnight by the lack of sound from the hunters."

"Plan?"

"No one has a plan so far. But since you are back here I am assuming you have come prepared?"

"Yes. Water?"

"I can't reach you. I can wake Bruce."

"Please."

Metal clinked against metal and all I could do was listen to someone groaning. Whispers coated the silence around the room.

"Arianna?" Uncle Bruce's voice called out. His hand reached out to grab a hold onto mine.

"It's me."

"Are you okay?"

"She needs some water," Daniel answered for me.

The warmth he brought left me when he turned away for a moment. Suddenly he pushed a can of liquid into my hand.

"Drink," he ordered me.

"What is this?" I asked wearily.

"Just trust us. You need your strength."

I eyed the can but took a sip. I really had no other choice. My throat was scorched. It felt like I swallowed a tub full of glass shards followed by a pit of sand then walked for a month in the desert.

"Thank you," I spoke after finally composing myself.

"What are you doing back here Arianna?"

"It's the weekend," I said like it was obvious.

"So you thought you would have some fun?" Bruce scolded me.

"Yes, I thought I would just get captured, maybe break a few ribs, puncture a lung, and see how long it took for me to bleed out. All because it looked like some great freaking fun!"

"Okay, just calm down, Ari. I didn't mean anything by that."

"Well it sure didn't seem like it to me."

"What does it matter if it is the weekend or not?"

"Does no one else pay attention around here but me?"

"What she means Bruce is that the weekend is upon us. Tomorrow or rather later tonight the vote will be put forth for the next Alpha leader," Daniel helped me out.

"Thank you," I rolled my eyes. I was taking full advantage of the fact that we were in the dark and neither man could see me.

"Don't think that just because there aren't any lights that I don't know you well enough young lady," Bruce scolded me again.

I scoffed, "You will say no such thing about your Alpha female."

"Alpha female?"

"Oops."

In all my confusion when I woke up I forgot that none of them knew yet that Dante and I fully mated or that he claimed the Shadowlands pack as his own. This was probably not the way it was supposed to come out. But it was better that I told them before the rest.

"Yes, oops is right. What happened?"

"Dante claimed the Shadowlands. He is now the Alpha."

"I am glad it was him and not Tristan," Uncle Bruce admitted.

"Wait what?"

"Your father and I had our suspicions that he and Tristan had some kind of bond with you. We watched Tristan grow up a spoiled brat while Dante was handed nothing. Xavier tried to help him as much as he could. He looked to him like a son. He would be proud that Dante was leading his pack."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Life is a series of choices, Arianna. We have to be able to make our own decisions without being forced into things by others. We wanted you to make the choice on your own."

"I am glad you did Uncle. I love him."

"Well isn't that just so touching? I think I may have a tear in my eye."

My body froze. It felt like I was plunged into the Arctic Ocean in the middle of the winter.

During my uncle's speech, the basement door had swung open. A shadow stood in the doorway just watching us. I felt an odd presence but I had been so involved with Uncle Bruce that I ignored the feeling. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on their ends.

"It was a bold move to let my mutt brother claim your pack, Arianna. Now I'm going to have to go out there and find him. Mark my words little mate, he will be dead by sunset."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 54.7K 25
Mate. For the shifting community, this is the term applied to the one person who is yours and yours alone; a soul mate. So imagine the shock Bianca f...
5K 122 39
*Now rated Mature because of final chapter* In a world where shifters live on reservations and cater to the human's whims, there are also advantages...
211K 7.2K 27
What happens when Mates are rarely found in the wolf shifter community, but an alpha to be just happens to be lucky enough to find his in the new gir...
693K 20.9K 10
One night gives her beautiful twin girls. One night makes her fall in love. One night was all she got. Because with a few words he breaks her heart.