Scarlett's Secret

By venusyang

Before Anne Boyeln, there was another. This is her story. Scarlett, an orphaned, seventeen-year-old girl gre... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - The King of England's Bed Chamber
Chapter 2 - The Familiar Boy
2.1 - A Whole New Paradise
2.2 - Behind Closed Doors
2.3 - The Lion's Strength
2.4 - Jade Eyed Gentleman
2.5 - The Fall of our Hope
Chapter 3 - From King to Henry
Chapter 4 - The Malicious Mistress
Chapter 5 - The Done Deed
Chapter 6 - The Delicate Pink Rose
6.1 - A Long Time Waiting
6.2 The Joust
Chapter 7 - The Touch of a Tyson
Chapter 8 - The Ball
8.1 - A Lustful Red Dress
8.2 - An Intruder for Dinner
8.3 Fly Away Dove
Chapter 9 - The Potent Beast's Paw
Chapter 10 - The Birth of our Saviour
Chapter 11 - Unraveled Rose
Chapter 12 - Lips of Vinegar
Chapter 13 - Feeble Solider
Chapter 14 - The Brute with the Key
Chapter 15 - Hollowed Faces
Chapter 17 - Alas my love
9.1 Love Turned Cold

Chapter 16 - Frail Petals

8K 283 16
By venusyang

My heart froze in disbelief. The King, how did he know, better yet... Why hadn't he warned the guards to stop us sooner?

"Tyson, leave us." The King spoke down to Tyson, as his grip tightened around my trembling hand.

"Never." He spat back, dismounting his horse as if he were ready to enter battle.

"Really boy? Do you not see I have not called on my guards to return you to your cell and imminent doom? If you do not let me speak alone with Scarlett, I will call them at once." His eyes were focused, he was not bluffing.

I faced Tyson's unyielding stance. "Tyson, it's ok. Go prepare the horses."

He looked at me, cautious, muddled. He then shot his glance towards Henry "If you hurt her, I will end you."

Henry just chuckled in response, as his gaze followed Tyson until he vanished within the stables. "You think of me so poorly that I would underestimate your determination?"

"I guess I underrated you," I replied; my mind chaotic. How would this conversation end?

"You hate me for sending away the man that took you from me, don't you?"

"Your grace, I do not hate you. Hatred vanished long ago." I abide in a confident manner.

"Then why did you fall for another. One word of adoration from you will silence my tongue forever."

"Sorry to disappoint, but I never fell for thee; I could never admire you, you fall too easily my lord and that should not be overlooked," I spoke in a tone far too inappropriate to address the King of England with, however, I was always a stubborn girl, my courage intimidates him.

"Why? Is it my pride?" Oh the King, such an oblivious, disagreeable, superior man; it would be quite a misfortune to be fancied by him.

"No your grace, although I could have easily forgiven your pride if you had not mortified mine."

"Oh is that it, my love was too much for your pride."

"Oh Henry, I am bringing forward this disposition in an amiable light, though not in gratitude. Forgive my petulance and acrimony for my rejection of your heart. Ardent love should be encouraged, though you never could give me the affection I so dearly desired. Place any remaining love in your heart for your wife; she sits by you when she can."

"You never cared for me?" was all he could muster to riposte.

"You were barely tolerable, though so handsome. You tempted me, almost into affection. Though Tyson's true affection diverted me from your motives, I soon became occupied by his touch, manner, happiness... love. You did make my cheeks overspread with the deepest crimson known I give you that, you knew how to make a girl feel less like a whore. Though you reminded me of my place here and there, which also reminded me that you are the last man I would ever be betrothed to marry."

He paused, "You were always a tough rose, were you not? My petals were the frail ones, in which you have now crumbled once again. Until this very moment I never had the pleasure of understanding myself, I wish I could, but knew not how. You made me feel like I had a purpose and potential to run England with my heart instead of the minds of my advisors, oh but please don't pity a suffering, unbearable soul like mine, for which you have rumpled."

I did not know how to respond. "So we were the same; trapped, constantly watched. I apologise for never noticing your vulnerability as you ensured it never escaped you unwillingly... but I am also accountable for such actions. My forged smiles were deceiving, my eyes... misleading. I portrayed the happiest young woman in the room, oh they all smiled and fondly danced in their fair man's embrace... slowly falling in love. But I laughed, I dearly love to laugh, to the fullest, in fact, it became quite embarrassing and I forgot what true happiness felt like. Though one must ensure not to trifle with such a stern, rigid rose as my good judgements towards thee once lost is lost for good. You could never please me, physically yes, emotionally is where you had the disadvantage."

"You wanted more from me? Must every impulse of feeling be guided with absurdity, please make it easy for me? I told you how I felt for you, every day I saw you."

"That is the great difference between us, compliments surprise me, and they never surprise you. You're the bloody King of England, adored by all. I was the opposite; I was nothing, a wilted rose that let you shine above us all and gain all the sun's rays. You shared some of the light with me, but all in caution that I would never get the best of you. But I had, I found your weak spot... your heart in which you never truly gave to Katherine." My irrational manner did not repulse the King, yet intrigued him more. "I could see your diffusion and heartfelt expression for me. Though as time passed, I chose not to look. I chose not to feel. Thus making my affection in return more valuable as it was rare, but you must have known, surely you must have known I could never have loved you."

"Why do you break me so? You have crushed me, and now my pride is shattered. I cannot live without you, do you understand? If I can't have you no one can. My refrain from piercing your lover in his heart that beats for you must be impeccable as it I am still resisting. I never thought I could, but I guess that's what love is; caring for one's happiness over their own even if they chose another." He bowed his head and sat down on an accompanying bale of hay.

I had never seen this susceptible side of Henry before, he never allowed it. I pondered, had anyone seen this side of the King, I mean Henry. He was but a man, ruthless at times, but he had a heart and I discarded it. I walked over in his direction and placed my hands on either side of his face. "You must let me go. I am not the queen for you. I know she is out there, and I'm sure she is on her way. She will be a suitable match; shrewd, buoyant, persuasive. You will fall for her as you did for me. Your roused and intrigued feelings for me, you will wish to regain, and may in this young lady. Do not be in a hurry, she will arrive at your bedchamber door and comfort you. You'll both sip on wine and fruits from this nation in which you have built up to greatness... and you will never acknowledge me again."

A long pause broke the deafening silence between us. "My dearest Scarlett, by you I was truly honoured." Henry wrapped his arms around me and held me close to his pounding chest. He walked with me into the stables and assisted me onto his favourite chestnut horse.

"Thank you, Henry, I never would have predicted this is the way we would say goodbye," I spoke, never releasing his grasp. It made me wonder, was there a side to Henry I was just beginning to see, if he had shown it to me earlier could things have been different for us?

"Yes, my honey-sweet Scarlett, although I never planned to say goodbye at all. I will never forget you." He kissed my hand and led my horse out of the stables, Tyson trailing close behind.

"May I ask, why the sudden change of heart?" He confessed such love for me, and now he is willing to throw it away for my benefit.

"If God would have wanted us to be, he would have ensured your heart beat for thee, not another."

I stared at Henry in awe and gratitude. "Don't let our secret leave this walls, your grace."

He nodded in declaration. "Here, take this. It was always yours, do with it what you like. Sell it and settle down, or keep it close to your heart." He handed me the object, wrapped in a red velvet cloth.

I opened it to find the precious necklace Henry once offered me as a gift. It would be worth a fortune, its gold exterior and large navy stone. 

"Go on; leave before my submissive mind regains consciousness." He trembled, a slight tear escaping his humble eyes. He slapped the rear of my stallion, sending him into full gear for the enigmatic forests.

 I watched Henry slowly shrink in size. Farewell old troubles, how well I knew you. We will meet again in the soon future as my indefinite path leads me further and further out of sanctuaries reach.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

197K 6.7K 126
What if Henry VIII had married differently? What if his choice of wives changed his reign and the whole of England's history forever? A young man si...
145K 2.9K 41
***MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY*** Following the divorce of his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, Henry VIII of England continues on his search for a new Que...
5.6M 158K 57
❝𝒉𝒆 π’Šπ’” π‘²π’Šπ’π’ˆ, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• π’Šπ’” 𝒂 π‘²π’Šπ’π’ˆ π’˜π’Šπ’•π’‰π’π’–π’• π’‰π’Šπ’” π‘Έπ’–π’†π’†π’βž UNDER EDITING - PARTS OF THE STORY WILL BE CHANGED. He is ki...
To Catch A King By Issy

Historical Fiction

15.4K 592 36
'...The first thing I notice about him is his weight. The rumours are true: he is spoilt and fat, so different from the young Renaissance prince I ha...