Lord of the Rings Fanfic- The...

By AproposWriter

" As wild as the Rangers of the North, as brutal as the Orcs, and as beautiful as the Elves." Evely... More

The Council of Elrond
Sword Fighting With My Elvish Mentor
Just a Taste of My Skills
Snow, Snow, and More Snow
Fading Memories
Elvish Smile
Passwords and Ugly Squids
We Fall to Pieces
A Spark of Hope
Arrival at Lothórien
The Lady of Light
Hope and Love
Forgetting
A Single Leaf
At Peace
Great Pain
Gifts of Lady Galadriel
Rescue
A Hero's Death
Riders of Rohan
Throwing a Sword at an Old Friend
Ending the Curse
Helm's Deep
Attack of the Wargs
The Evenstar
Author's Note
Saruman's Final Stand
Back at Edoras
The Eagle and the Serpent
Lissuin
I Get Saucy with the Steward of Gondor
Lights of Hope
War Is Inevitable
The Battle for Minas Tirith
To Lead is Not to Follow
Operation Fix Relationship
My Name is Genevieve
The Fight for Middle Earth
The Final Encounter
To Light the Embers
The Coronation
Epilogue
Special Announcement?
Sneak Peak to Sequel: The Dynasty of Darkness
Special Announcement #2
Do I Call this Special Announcement #3?

The Starry Night

6.4K 266 51
By AproposWriter

      I walked softly in the night, my boots crunching underfoot on the grass. The stars glinted like fine glass shards spun in molten diamond, shimmering like a veil in the darkness of the night. Fiddling with the clasp of my cloak, I pulled it over my head as a night breeze wreathed past me, billowing the leaves into a circular dance. 

      "The stars are veiled," I heard Legolas's voice smoothing in the breeze. Turning around, I inclined my head towards him as he joined me, his presence soothing my tense body. 

      "Something stirs in the East," I said, gesturing towards the alit braziers ahead of us, "the Eye of the Enemy is moving." 

     Legolas faced me, his posture almost protective. "You should be getting some sleep," he said, his voice etched with concern, "you can not face the day ahead with half of your strength." 

        I rolled my eyes. 

      "I am fine, Legolas," I murmured, turning to gaze at the stars once more, "but I can not say the same for the rest of the Fellowship." 

      He nodded. "You worry for the hobbits," he stated, able to see through my guise. 

      I scoffed. "I do not worry for them," I said, albeit untruthfully, "I am just saying that they should better reach Mordor quickly." 

    Legolas chuckled softly. "For all of your skills, mellon, you have not the ability to lie," he said teasingly, bumping his shoulder against mine gently. I felt a reluctant grin spread across my features. Suddenly, I heard Legolas inhale sharply. Whipping towards him, I saw him clutch his temple, his eyes screwed tightly shut in pain. 

   "Legolas?" I said frantically as I shook him by his shoulders, "what has happened?"  

    Legolas opened his eyes, his blue irises darting from side to side. "He is here!" he cried, grabbing his bow, with me following in pursuit. Barging into the tent, I glimpsed Pippin collapsing onto the ground, writhing in agony as he clutched the black crystal of Saruman, his mouth parted in a silent scream. Petrified in shock, I was jolted back as I saw Aragorn snatch the ball from Pippin, who immediately fell onto the ground, his face contorted with pain. Lunging forwards, I kicked the ball away, sending it flying into the air, as Gandalf threw the blanket over the horrid object. 

     "Fool of a Took!" Gandalf raged, grabbing Pippin roughly by the shoulders, who cried pitifully, as the sobs racked through his body. Recollecting himself, Gandalf leaned in closer, his eyes fixed upon Pippin's quivering eyes. "Look at me," he said in a more softer voice, his hands rubbing Pippin's back soothingly. 

     "Gandalf....forgive me," Pippin sobbed, his voice barely above a strangled whisper. "Look at me," Gandalf said more forcefully, causing Pippin to look at his face. "What did you see?" he repeated, his voice urgent. 

      Pippin swallowed, his voice shaking as he said, "I saw... I saw a white tree... in a courtyard of stone.... It was dead. The city was burning," he said, his voice quivering as tears sprang out of his eyes. 

     "Minas Tirith? Is that what you saw?" Gandalf asked, his face grave. 

    But Pippin didn't answer, his eyes wide in fear as panic gripped him. "I saw him... I saw Him Gandalf!" he cried, as the memories washed over him, terror brewing in is eyes, "I heard him talking inside my head!" 

    "And what did you tell Him?" Gandalf hissed, his eyes narrowed dangerously. 

    "He asked me my name. I didn't answer. He hurt me!" Pippin cried in a strangled whisper. 

    "What did you tell him about Frodo and the Ring?" Gandalf asked, his voice low. 

    Pippin shook his head shakily, his face still etched with fear. Releasing him, Gandalf staggered back to the object and picked it up, tucking it safely inside a trunk. Turning around with a solemn expression, he grabbed ahold of his staff and swept out of the chamber without another word. Pippin began to cry- big, heartbroken sobs as he broke down. Comforting him, Merry patted his back, while whispering soothingly in his ear. 

     "Raich," I cursed in Elvish, as Legolas raised one eyebrow in a chastising manner. Turning towards him, I asked in a low voice, "Do you believe Gondor will fall?" Legolas froze for a moment, his gaze trained on Aragorn. 

     He began softly, although with increasing hesitance, "I do not know what fate will come to pass, but the heir of Isildur is on our side and I trust him with my life. I have faith in the Fellowship," he said. 

     I felt a stab of guilt hit me in the heart, but I pushed it back, giving him a small, sad smile. "Well, losto vae," I said, inclining my head towards him. (Good night). 

     Legolas returned my greeting, and seeing him exit out of the door, I spread a mattress and lay down upon it, my mind racing for answers. "It is ultimately your decision that would either purge Middle-earth into darkness or rebirth it in a new age of light," Elrond's voice echoed through my mind. 

   "Stupid elvish wisdom," I thought in my mind before turning restlessly. But sleep soon found me, and feeling my eyelids grow heavy, I succumbed to the heavy slumber...

***

       I awoke, a strange sense of serenity washing over me. Blinking my eyes open, I suddenly realized that I was the only person in the chamber. Rubbing my eyes tiredly, I sat up, massaging my aching temple. I was suddenly hit with a reminiscence of the Council of Elrond, wondering how long ago it was. It had seemed so far, so unreal that my life had used to be that way. Perhaps life was giving me another chance, perhaps I should move on. But the thought soon faded as I pushed it away from my mind forcefully. 

     Righting myself, I opened the doors and strode with purpose, weaving through the crowd in Edoras. Some gave me curious glances, and others scoffed, but they were not the center of my attention. Feeling a foolish smile spread on my lips, I practically skipped over to Legolas, jostling him teasingly. Turning towards me, Legolas's face seemed to soften, as a smile teased on the corners of his mouth. "It is mid-afternoon, mellon," he reprimanded, "you sleep quite a lot." 

    I scowled, throwing back my hair. "Well, you see, unlike certain annoying princes, I have to take a break from using my saucy attitude," I said with a wink, punching him on the shoulder. 

    Legolas shook his head in a chastising manner before turning back to the post, watching as the families reunited, embracing one another and crying shouts of joy. Noticing how Legolas stiffened, I was reminded once more of his stony relationship with his father. "They look happy, don't they?" he said, with a tinge of bitterness, but his face remained expressionless. 

    I fidgeted, but answered plainly, "Well, they certainly don't look that happy if the elf from Mirkwood remains stoic." 

      Legolas gave a side-long glance at me, as if surprised. Brusquely waving my hand behind me, I turned on him with a small smile. "Well, anything interesting happening today?" I asked, seating myself on the ledge, yawning in feigned boredom. 

    Legolas rolled his eyes. "Mellon, you can not possibly tell me that you are bored already," he said in an annoyed voice, although his eyes twinkled. "Although, I do think that I overheard a sentinel saying that the weather is perfect for horse-riding," he remarked casually, although with certain intent. 

    Playing along, I clasped my hand on my chin and asked innocently, "Are you suggesting something?" 

     Legolas plucked at his bowstring, suddenly having a new, acquired interest in his boots. "I was wondering whether you would have the honor of accompanying me on a ride," he said, half-sheepishly.

     Grinning at his discomfort, I tapped my chin in mock thought before answering, "I don't know--" Seeing his reaction, though, I continued, "I don't know.... a chance to beat a prince of Mirkwood at horse-riding, I don't think the opportunity happens every day," I mocked. 

     Raising one eyebrow in challenge, Legolas said quickly, "I guess that means that the first to the stables gets the advantage." Before I could even process what he said, Legolas was already shooting down the courtyard, literally leaving me in the dust. 

    "Come back here, you stupid elvish princeling!" I yelled after him, knowing full well that he understood. But this time, I thought I could hear a hint of a chuckle pervading from ahead. 

***

    I snapped Larein's reins, jolting her to a stop. Feeling the wind whip across my face, I watched in amusement as Legolas rode in a few seconds later, looking positively annoyed. "That shortcut from across the castle bridge should be declared out of bounds," he murmured, his eyes flashing with defeat. 

     "I took the risk of jumping from that high, which means I get the win," I shot back, sticking my tongue out childishly. Legolas rolled his eyes good-naturedly. 

     Gazing down at Edoras, I realized, possibly for the first time, that it was quite beautiful. The hills were lush with tall grass and wildflowers that dotted the meadow, their petals soft-hued in the bright sunlight. Urging Larein to a steady plod, Legolas and I rode in companionable silence before he spoke softly, "This reminds me much of my home." 

    Turning to face him, I watched as his eyes suddenly brightened with the air of an excited child. "Mirkwood is quite a beautiful place, lonely, but very comforting in its own way," he explained, his eyes fixed on the meadow. 

    "It sounds beautiful," I said, absentmindedly fiddling with the saddle strap, "from your words, it would be an ideal place to visit." 

     Casually, Legolas reached down and plucked a long-stemmed wisteria, its rich, violet hue pleasing to the eye. Twirling it around his fingers, he said, "Perhaps you could visit there sometime." The words were nonchalant, almost casual, even, but as he handed me the flower with one, fluid movement, I knew he meant every word. 

     "Perhaps," I answered, trying my best to smile as we headed onwards, until I saw something that made me freeze. The wisteria dropped from my hand. 

    My eyes widened. 

     It couldn't be.

    But my eyes wouldn't deceive me. 

   "Evelyn?" I heard Legolas speak, concern etched in his voice, but lost in my shock and fear. "What is it?" 

    Opening my mouth to speak, I found that my speech had failed me. 

    Following my line of vision, Legolas inhaled sharply, but not for the same reason. Overhead, flapped a flag bearing The Eye of Sauron. Two Orcs guarded it, leering unpleasantly, but that was not the focus of my attention. 

    Next to the flag, hung another-- one of a different emblem that I had known so well-- the eagle with outstretched wings, an arrow in its beak. 

    It was the symbol of Shanelor.

***

     Well, cliffhanger:) Please don't kill me. Anyways, I hope you have enjoyed this story so far and I apologize for the short chapter-- I had a lot going on with school and everything and I didn't exactly have a lot of time. Please vote or comment if you like this story and thank you for being such avid readers!

  So, anyways, what did you think? Can you guess what the symbol means? And who did you like the scene with Legolas inviting Evelyn to his home? Please let me know and once again, I hope you enjoyed this book so far :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.9K 1.7K 33
"I swear an oath to protect my people, to serve my people and to fight for my people, until I am released by my lord or death do take me" What does i...
61.1K 1.4K 29
『"』𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘨𝘶𝘪𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘵𝘰 𝘪𝘮𝘭𝘢𝘥𝘳𝘪𝘴, 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘷𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘺 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘳 𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵�...
197 13 7
You're a Ranger of Ithilien and Faramir's Girlfriend. You were dating before he became a captain, and since, publicly, he don't treat you any differe...
137K 3.7K 34
Sara is just a ordinary girl. She has heard of the Lord of the Ring books but never read one. But what happens if she falls into the greatest stories...