The Roaming Archer (NaNoWrimo...

By tg7angel

There was a kingdom, A kingdom full of life. But that was before. Fatenturia, a kingdom once filled with ho... More

Copyright Page
When I Was Born...
Nothing To Lose Anymore...
Growing Up
Friends and Fresh Air
Alone In The Woods
Bleeding Hands
We Need Leaders
Caught Red Handed
The Roamers
The Lion's Mouth
Far For The First Time
Attack In Admire
Book Pages
Next Thing
A Lone Prince
New Duty
Dancing Candle
Pete's Late Journal
Plans
A Tragic Dream
The Meeting Room
Gut's To Ask
Not Yet Home
Prince Abason
Night Dreamire
Search Out!
Watched
The Race Began
Cupid Arrows
Mistery Eyes
The Picture
A New Begin Training
The Meeting With Abason
Rush Tired
What You Get
The Impossible
Possible
The Letters
Behind The Oak Door
The Job
Wrong Message
Questions
A Long Night
A Day
Not Adding Up
Unraveling
The Very Thing
Cross Roads
Recover
Author Note: The Next Book

Back

3K 109 36
By tg7angel

Angel closed the book in reflex to the startle she felt after he had tapped her shoulder. She jumped simultaneously at his abrupt and surprising intrusion of her thoughts that he chuckled at her reaction. Angel searched his face for a good few seconds, but saw that he had not known what had been running in her mind and what was within her book.

The first three words on the first page could have been the death of her.

Death never seemed to scare her. It was the reasons that did. The reasons that those she loved would be left to mourn for her. She didn't want that. She didn't want them to be sad if she were ever to face death. In fact, it's been way before that since she got settled with death.

Angel took a sigh after Prince Chance had stopped his chuckling. She smiled back crookedly, changing her exasperated face at her close call.

"Sure." Angel answered his question and then he sat down on the seat in front of her.

"Your journal, right?"

"Yea." Angel nodded.

"Soo..how'd you get to know Abason?" He simply stated straightforward.

"Oh, uh..at a festival. We actually met each other as little kids first though."

"Oh, okay." He paused. "It's odd. He never talked about you."

Angel didn't reply.

Seeing that she wouldn't say anything after that, he thought for a few seconds.

"How'd you become the huntress of Alleyal?"

"Well, he knew I was good at hunting...and we were close...so ya."

Wow, that was a terrible explanation, but apparently, she couldn't have told him exactly why. This guy was the son of the bad guy!

Angel just sat there making the Prince think she wasn't interested in talking too much at the moment. They both sat there awkwardly turning their heads to look at irrelevant sounds and movements around their surroundings. Angel had to admit, it was a little funny. She stopped looking around when she brought up the idea once again to use this opportunity. The Prince was trying to get her attention, and he was trying hard. She decided to speak up,and give him some footage. However, she was a little moody and she knew it.

"I can't talk long, but I was wondering...you already know that I'm on this task to find the village right?"

"Yea."

"So you're all leaving the camp grounds and the forest?"

"Uh-huh."

"Good. I know you said you were going to help me, but I'll ask for the favor later 'kay? I'll ask you when I need it, but I really have to go soon. Again, thanks. You're really charming and all, but things are getting pretty messy."

Angel thought she should have never said the last part, but it came out. The prince smiled at her mentioning him as 'charming and all,' but the last part of her sentence made the Prince's face change quickly to discerned at the last words.

"Messy?"

Angel stuffed the book in her bag once more and swung it behind her. Then she hesitated at his question.

"Uhh..yea. But I can't say...I gotta go."

"Maple." He tried to stop her after getting up from her seat almost turning her back to him.

"I really have to go."

Who knows how long it would be before something wrong happens in New Begin...Their probably already worried I haven't been back.

Angel ignored the call and kept going.

"Maple!"

The name felt so foreign to her, but her own name on the book she had in her back felt foreign too. She finally turned around to the call.

"Am I going to ever see you again?"

The blue in his eyes seemed deep at his question. She truly still didn't understand him, but she knew he didn't understand her much either. She turned around one last time.

"Maybe."

~~~~~

Abason was well focused into the trail. He just kept following it. It was his only lead. It wasn't long until he saw something that really caught his eye. It was...white? Something in the distance. On the ground. All over the ground.

The trail seemed to lead right to it so he ran to get a closer look.

He got to it seeing the tracks of feet and wheels going through it. He took a pinch of the substance to his fingers.

Flour?

He saw the tracks leading to Greanger while white footprints pounded away from the flour.
He knew where he now stood. That would bring him to where he needed to go.

~~~~~

Angel ran. She knew she was gone for awhile and that it would make those at New Begin worried sick. She fast-walked in the castle, but now she was out in the open heading back towards the woods. A couple of guards stopped her before she could leave and asked for assurance the prince had been safe. She assured them, telling them that he's in good hands.

That, was true.

They smiled and thanked her, wishing her safety.

Now there were so many things ahead of her.

A princess.

A place so foreign to her, she didn't even think she would ever be as such.

Her past.

Unknown for the most part and now unraveling at her feet.

A duty.

She will not just ignore. She needed help if they were gonna make it.

She cannot do this alone.

She dashed through after stopping near the entrance of the woods. Hope still thrived. Things were getting closer than ever. She pushed her sadness aside and focused on what needed to be done. The wind waved against her, the force seeming to push her away, but then it changed course. It blew her foward from behind. Rustles of leaves flapped, Angel flew through seemingly to not touch the ground.

She was a princess and her father and mother were counting on her. So did those she loved and cared for. She was going to let them know. They needed to do it together.

She alone couldn't do it all.

But they all can.

~~~~~

Abason ran knowing he didn't have much time left. It wouldn't be long until the Fates or someone would figure it out. He needed to find her and he needed to find her now.

His feet swiftly found them heading to the falls. He remembered them clearly like it was yesterday when he met Angel there again. After that one time, he never really stopped from going there. To remember. To see if she would come there again.

Now, he was heading there.

Trying to find her when she was the one always ending up to finding him.

He could hear the ripples of the water. The smooth sounding roar that it made. From the way Angel came through to get there, now he understood why they called it the Lion's Mouth.

Birds tweeted to and fro worryless of their surroundings, singing even when this very forest might become a war zone very soon. Utterly oblivious.

The fall came to view into a picturesque scene, a small rainbow made in the mist that rose from the base of the waterfall.

He smiled at the sight of it. He was above where Angel would have been when she had fallen. The vast view below was truly stunning, but something else caught his eye after filling his lungs with the fresh air.

~~~~~

Angel was close to the Lion's Mouth, but she didn't stop there to take a break. She had to keep moving. She had to tell them that the king of Greanger had a son. She knew he did have one, but she had thought his son was dead.

That's what they always heard. That his son was killed and rage and revenge had entered into the king's heart. But now..

She just met his son.

Something wasn't fitting and she was going to figure it out.

Her feet made their way to the open area at the base of the falls because travel was so much quicker than through the thick wood that could give her more obstacles to jump and avoid.

She sped through.

~~~~~

"Angel!"

Abason scurried down the slippery rocks and vines down to the bottom of the falls as fast as he could. It was difficult, but he went down anyway seeing that Angel was running pretty quickly.

"Angel!" He looked up again after getting a footing down a step on the side of the falls.

"Angel!"

He made a quick step another down, trying to get to her.

But he slipped..

~~~~~

Angel heard her name from behind her. She made it away from the base of the falls, now inside the woods, practically entered in. But after hearing her name, she stopped, turned around, and paced back to the falls to see if she was really hearing her name.

She came out of the wooden part she was submerged in and entered back to the opening. Rocks and dirt fell from the corner making her eye spot Abason all covered in dirt and mud.

"Abason! What are you doing here?" She ran to him ready to help him aid his wounds. "Shouldn't you be back at New Begin?"

"Shouldn't you?" He smiled crookedly, his eye twinging at the pain he was feeling.

Angel chuckled. "Here, let me help you." She held out her hand.

Abason grabbed it. "Do I look bad?"

"You look.." Angel giggled. "you look funny." She smiled as she pulled him up. "Are you okay?"

"Yea, I think I'm fine." He knew he wasn't, but he couldn't feel the pain when he was with her.

"Are you sure?" Angel's giggles turned to a concerned face.

"No, seriously, I'm fine." Abason tried to make a convincing smile, but when Angel jerked his arm a bit he winced. Before Angel could tell him that he really wasn't, he said something to get her worries away from him. "It could've been worse. Plus, I'm the one who should be asking if your okay."

"You're kidding right?" Angel laughed, "Look at you! There's dirt covering your face. Here, let me help with that..." Angel tugged his arm and grabbed it bringing him close to the falls.

Abason sat on the rock checking on his cuts and bruises, while Angel grabbed her water cantine and filled it with the water. She walked up to him while he was busy ripping a piece of fabric off his leg.

"Ooooh..." Angel stared at the cut. "That looks bad."

"It's nothing."

"Here's some water. Let me wash it off and clean it."

"Thanks." Abason was acting strong through the whole thing, Angel knew it, but she didn't point it out. Angel spilled some of the water on his wound and took out some clean cloth out of her pack. Abason winced at her touch, but bit his lip. Whenever Angel tried to make sure that he wasn't in pain by looking at his facial expressions, he placed on a brave face. But when she looked away, his eyes winced and he forced his yelps to stay in him. Angel felt him jerk after touching the cut again with the cloth. She decided to get his mind off the pain by involving him in conversation.

"I met your best friend." Angel poured out water to the cloth and squeezed out the blood.

"My best friend?"

"Yea." Angel poured water to his wound again and cut some more cloth to dry and wrap it. "You know..the prince."

"There are lots of princes, Angel. Who are you talking about?"

"Prince Chance."

Abason wasn't expecting that name to come into his ears. "Prince Chance?"

The tone in Abason's voice was clear. He was surprised.

"Yup." Angel wrapped his leg with a new cloth.

Abason tried to find the right question to ask. He muttered to himself, and Angel seeing that he had said something asked for him to say it again.

Abason spoke up. "How'd you meet him?"

"Long story." Angel spilled the water above his head unexpectedly.

Abason shuddered. "What was that for?!"

Angel tried to pick something out of his hair. "Sorry, it's just-" Angel's hands was heading to his hair and Abason's head moved back. "Angel seriously.."

"Sorry, it's-there's-dirt and stuff.." Angel eyed his head.

It was true. Abason's gold hair was a royal mess. Angel giggled when she pulled out a small stick and threw it to the side. Abason placed his hands to his hair and shook off what he could.

"Hey, we better get going." Abason said a little flustered at Angel's actions. She was acting differently. Giggling more than she normally would ever since he met her. In fact, she never giggled at all around him before. Abason smiled at the thought.

"Alright. But clean up a bit more? Please?"

"Fine, but tell me what happened while we go back." Abason got up.

"Okay." Angel replied.

~~~~~

Abason got his hair cleaned back up to it's natural golden color. Angel went ahead the trail, but realized the need to go back when she saw Abason limping. His hair mopped his head, damp as it was, but shagged when he tried drying it with the extra cloth she had given him. He smiled crookedly at the sight of her skipping and giggling, but she stopped to get back to him. Her face became worried at the attempted smile on his face understanding that the cut would slow him down. But just because he was injured, she wouldn't dare go ahead making him catch up on his own.

"Here place your arm around me." Angel offered.

Abason did so and smiled happy to have Angel around. He was glad to have her there, and if it wasn't for her, he might have never known about his father and the advisors. But if he had, he would have locked himself away forever like a fortified castle with barricaded walls. But he didn't need to do that. Angel became his friend.

He smiled at her; Angel not noticing it on his face as she focused on his footing and the ground.

"Soo..your friend."

Abason looked at Angel as she spoke and switching glances to the ground at occasional and convenient times. "Yea?"

"He's quite an interesting guy. Prince of Greanger."

"Yea, he's from Greanger all right."

"But that's just it...He's a Prince."

"Yea. So am I." Abason had no idea where Angel was getting at just like she did when she asked for his birthday, but he didn't ask for the point. She would reveal it soon.

"From Greanger." Angel looked at him, something apparently filling her mind. "I thought the Prince of Greanger was dead."

"Nope. That never happened."

"But Saber said..."

"I don't recall that, but I only heard you guy's story once. I still don't have all the pieces either."

"Yea..there's still so much I don't know. The whole thing is huge. I wonder why Greanger was bad in the first place.."

"I don't know either, but I hope we figure it out."

Angel lifted Abason with support to get over a small stream without getting his shoes wet. They remained silent for awhile, then Abason started the conversation up again. He asked about what happened and how she met Prince Chance. Angel was vague about the whole thing making sure he didn't hear about her bruises, but mentioned her captivity. She watched his facial expressions to see what Abason felt about him, but he seemed calm, in fact he looked like he was glad to hear about him. That made Angel keep the bad start to herself. She recalled how Chance had mentioned that he 'wasn't like that anymore' to Wyman. She wondered what 'like' was. Angel finally asked about Prince Chance after telling him of her incident.

Abason seemed ready than ever to begin talking about him. He was enthusiastic about it all: how they met, what they played, and how they were just like the closest buddies in the block.

Angel admired how readily Abason was open to her. He spoke like it had been second nature to him. Angel got lost in his words admiring more his way that showed he was truly interested in what he was telling her. His childhood. He went off about his friend who seemed sincere in all that he told Angel. Prince Chance sounded like the boy who was always there for his friend. The brother of a fatherless and motherless boy. Angel could see it in his eyes, how they lit up at the memories of them two. But I didn't understand..the Prince was said to be dead. Was it all a lie? Was there more to all that happened? Was it like a gossip where it changed every time someone gave the story to pass on? But it couldn't be. Saber was there during the war as a teenager. But it didn't mean that he had witnessed the death of the Prince of Greanger.

Angel wanted to ask Abason so badly about Prince Chance, but she didn't want to ruin how much he enjoyed talking about his innocent past where he never knew about what the Advisors had done. He seemed to forget the pain that accompanied his knee while Angel helped him so she let him be. She enjoyed his company, the smile on his face, and how he was lost in his past of good memories.

Abason just went on, and Angel listened to his words until they made it back to New Begin.

~~~~~

Prince Chance still stayed within the castle of Alleyal. He ventured around and envisioned the past times he had had around these walls. He smiled as he imagined scenarios from a range of ages where he had visited Prince Abason. He was his only closest friend after the incident that happened with him and his father. But he pushed the terrifying and hated memory off his mind. He didn't want to think about his wicked father. He never ever seemed to agree with him. But what place does he have anymore? To think that the King of Greanger is his father? Nothing. He is nothing to him.

Why?

Prince Chance pushed the thought again. He's been going through the same cycle over and over again where he would begin thinking about everything his father did. He still cared, but he was so marred he began to feel like he could never forgive him.

Prince Chance tried to think of something else.

The girl. Maple. How was it that Abason never told him of his friend? Was he afraid to say that he became fond of a girl? Or was he hiding something?

Prince Chance thought it was both. As the older like brother to Prince Abason, he wanted to know when, how, and where. He wanted to know everything.

Prince Chance entered Abason's room. He was allowed to do that since their days of youth. He was considered home at Prince Abason's castle.

He looked around wondering if there might have been some sort of trace of the girl. He removed the pillows then placed them back after seeing that they were barren underneath. He tried to pry the mattress from the base and stuck his hand in to feel on the edges for any journal or anything that might have been of any significance. He let the mattress fall on his hand after feeling that there was nothing in between. He opened drawers, pulled the sheets, and looked every where he could possibly look. A maid entered in while Prince Chance had his hand stuck inside a drawer.

Sabrina.

Prince Chance knows her very well as she was usually the one fixing around Abason's room. Seeing that Sabrina looked flustered, he realized what he had done to the room.

"Uh..hi Sabrina."

"Prince Chance." She grumbled slightly. "Do you ever enter a room without making it into a mess?"

Prince Chance looked around. He placed the pillows back where they should and had the sheets on top of the bed un-tucked and everything else looked pretty clean, although it hadn't been as neat as it was before, he didn't see how the room was messy.

"It looks fine to me." He waved his hand around showcasing the room.

Sabrina laughed. "We tuck the linen in a certain way; I would know if someone had messed with the blankets or the pillows, your highness." She placed her hands to her hips.

"Alright, I won't do it again, but only if you promise me something."

"It depends, your highness." She smiled.

Prince Chance went to the door and shut it closed. "How about some currency for your hard work and information?"

"Are you bribing me, your highness?"

"Please, stop calling me that. You know you can call me, Chance."

"Alright, your high-" She paused. "Chance. But don't think I will promise you anything."

"Fine." Prince Chance agreed. "What about Prince Abason's friend? I want to know about her."

Sabrina smiled. "Alright, I guess I can tell you something."

"Who is she? Tell me the what's, where's, and how's. All of it. Then I'll pay for that house that you want. I know that you've been saving up for that small cottage for years. I'll pay the rest that you don't have. Just don't tell Abason. I know that he knows that you've been saving up for that thing also. Just tell him you finally earned it. Got it?"

"You're very slick Prince Chance." Sabrina laughed, "I didn't know you still remembered that! I'll make the deal. But first, what friend you wanted me to tell you about again?"

"The girl. Maple."

"Maple? What? You mean Angel?"

~~~~~

Angel and Prince Abason was back at New Begin. The Fate Few was still busy with preparations along with the rest of the Roamers. Things were heating up, and the villagers told Angel when she had asked about what was going on. They assisted Prince Abason the way they could, a couple of girls gladly wanting to help him. Angel saw it coming before she even let the villagers help him. The girls giggled, flirted, and batted their eyes at the Prince. Angel grumbled.

"Hey." Angel boldly got their attention. "Help the guy. Don't just stare at him."

The girls listened to her, but kept trying to look cute around the prince. Abason noticed Angel was fed up, but before he could say anything Angel left.

Angel went to the men getting their preparations done just to quickly check if everything seemed to be in place. Afterwards, she jogged to the meeting room. She was sure Saber left some plans inside where she could help with when she arrived. She had her book along with her also and she opened it up. She knew she couldn't read long so she just skimmed through the pages. She sighed. The turning point is coming and she knows it. Either they will lose in the arms of the enemy anytime now, or they will prevail and have a fighting chance to get back the freedom and liberty that they once had. Well, it never left, besides the fact that it was limited due to their need to hide within the forest, unable to be able to go out to other kingdoms. For all she knew, the world outside might have gotten better or worse than they thought it would be. But she knew it had to be the latter. Greanger was expanding like never before seemingly becoming unconquerable.

Angel studied the maps and the markings on her own left by Saber. She scanned and analyzed to what needed to be done. She flipped through the pages of her book inside her backpack also. She realized it had been filled with letters, like it said in the beginning, but also filled with studies of how her father ruled. Terms like parliament, representatives, and mentioning of advisers and separation of powers instructed in the pages. Not only was those things within the book, but a whole chunk made up a Bible in the last parts of the book. Notes decorated the corners of once empty clean borders with knowledge from her father...and mother.

Angel touched the pages like it was sacred. Because it was. It was sacred. Highlights witnessed the use and importance of the words to her parents.

She finally flipped to the back page accidentally while she was trying to admire it's content. The back page...

~~~~~

"Angel?!"

"Yea, Angel? That's the girl you were talking about right? Black hair, young, the huntress of Alleyal?"

"No..I thought it was Maple."

Sabrina laughed. "I don't know what kind of joke she was playing on you, but she got ya! That silly girl.." Sabrina tucked a portion of the blanket into the bottom of the mattress. "You know Prince Abason is very fond of her. Can't seem to get his mind off of her." She smiled. "We maids think he's going to bring out the jewel. He keeps staring at it sometimes. He knows it's his mother's, and he occasionally just kept it as a connection to her, but he's been thinking a lot."

"So her name. Angel. You know where she lives? How they met? When did all of this happen?"

"What is with all the questions? You interested in her too?" Sabrina chuckled as she straightened out the sheet.

Angel...why in the world would she tell me her name is Maple?

"You know her well enough that if she came here, you'd recognize her?"

"Yes sir."

"You sure that was her here?"

"No, doubt about it."

"She's the huntress of Alleyal."

"Prince Chance, shouldn't you be getting busy?"

"You're right. It's just...never-mind me. I have to get going."

"I'm very sorry your highness, but as you would say, duty calls."

"Thank you Sabrina. I'd get that cottage of yours paid, but if I need to talk to you again, I'll be back."

"Yes sir!"

Angel...why Maple? What is she hiding? Could it be? Is she the one who I'm searching for? I should get some more information..

It just sounds so much like Angelica.

~~~~~

The back page...

Had nothing, but a flap that seemed to peel off the corner of the cover. Angel picked at it as she looked around the room and then shut the book closed. She decided to run around the perimeter of the village for a walk and to check if things were going well. She stuck the book back into her backpack and took her bow and arrow. She wondered what everyone else was doing at the moment.

~~~~~

Prince Chance told his soldiers to go back to Greanger and gave them specific orders. He told them he needed to do something alone and that they need not to worry. He grabbed the reigns of his horse and swung atop of it. He brought his hand to his hair to feel and then opened a sack connected to the bridle. He opened up a scroll and reread what he hadn't read in forever.

Get the princess and bring her to me.

Only then will you be my son.

Memories of anger filled his mind. Things of his past, things that he wished he had done, and never done.

Prince Chance furrowed his eyebrows and pressed his fingers into his palm making a fist. It shook. His once soft blue eyes were a fire and wandered over to a wrapped item inside the sack. His hand took it out and unwrapped the white cloth that covered it.

A special dagger.

His hand clutched tightly at it's hilt with a grip that emanated hatred he had placed away long ago. But it never left...

It still lingered in his heart. And now...it was set loose from it's cage.

~~~~~

The peace and calmness the forest made Angel naive. The day seemed to be too perfect for something wrong to happen. It was nearing dark ever since she left and soon everyone would soon come back to their quarters.

Tomorrow they would rally the allies.

Angel wanted to go back to Prince Chance and find out about the troops. She always wanted to be behind enemy lines finding out the moves and plans ahead of time. She didn't want to tell Saber however. She knew that he would only keep her out of it. She hated having him worried about her, but what could she do? Just stay there inside New Begin, hide, and do nothing?

She didn't want that. Somehow, someway, she was going to help. Plus, who couldn't resist the thrill behind enemy lines?

She decided to get a long rest and not wait for the Fates and Roamers. Prince Abason was probably asleep now and treated. Angel left the meeting room and went home. She knew this time that her parents weren't her birth parents. But they were still her parents.

She loved them as they loved her. She couldn't thank them enough for caring for her. For teaching her. She smiled, but she couldn't help feel that she wondered what her real parents were like.

She changed for sleep and tucked herself immediately once she got to her room. Her parents were already asleep, tired from the days events.

She read a portion of the book that was given to her and fell asleep.

~~~~~

Prince Chance's horse galloped in speed after the direction he knew that 'Maple' or 'Angel' headed. Darkness evaded the once sunset glorious sky and Chance's eyes almost seemed possessed. Past hurts, pains, memories stored, but never let go ran rampant within him like a blazing fire of destruction. Anger seeped out of his heart to his veins, rage becoming his energy. The side of him that he thought he had put away and had forgotten came back. The monster that he wanted to get rid off. But now his mind was poisoned with revenge just like his father had been. He was hunting for what he believed to be the answer to all his problems.

The princess.

No one knew about the scroll or what his father had told him. But to him, it was so clear.

Prince Chance didn't know that his thoughts were wrong. To him it was the right thing to do. Lies, confusion, and accusation slithered around his soul and life like a serpent. Slick, wise, and deceiving. But he didn't know it. To him, it was the right thing to do.

He was going to find the princess, and everything would be over.

Prince Chance stopped his horse to look for tracks from the girl. He knew the girl had become someone close to Prince Abason, and that he valued her, but he brushed the thought aside. All moral principle jumped out of his window, his eyes. He saw everything differently. Something triggered and he couldn't control it. As much as he cared for Abason like a brother, he found getting the princess and breaking his friends heart was an option. His mentality was distorted.

Prince Chance found a footprint and followed it.

He was going to look for her, even if it gets dark.

~~~~~

Angel fell asleep. After a couple hours lying down, the feeling of restlessness finally faded away. The Fate Few had come back after some preparations along with the Roamers. They went into the meeting room for one last talk for the night.

"Great job everyone. I think were ready, all we need to do now is rally those close to us. Close to Fatenturia. Close to freedom and liberty." Saber went in closer. "Bring it in."

He held out his hand. "Ready for war."

Everyone brought their hands together stacking them one on top of the other having Saber's hand at the base. Saber nodded and spoke up.

"For Fateturia!"

"For Fatenturia!"

Everyone said and raised their hands up high into the air.

~~~~~

Prince Chance felt like nothing would get in his way. He was finally going to get the job done. He knew what this meant for him. He waited so long to get back at what happened. The chance just fell to his lap, and he wasn't going to mess this up. His heart was beating louder and louder by the second. His horse galloped at a dangerous speed. He had one goal in mind and his eyes were on the target. The tracks led to the falls.

He swung off his horse to get a closer look at the tracks. The moon was already in the sky, the place darkening into an enchanted scene near the roaring of the falls. He looked around from where the tracks of feet pattered. Chance saw something he was afraid of. Signs of struggle the smudge on the ground...and blood on a bench like rock.

Abason.

She wasn't what he thought she was. He now knew that she was an assassin. But a princess assassin? It worried him greatly. The tracks seemed to be dragged. Prince Chance hadn't been the best in the area of tracking, but he knew enough to be able to tell.

Abason's feet were dragging. He was wounded.

She wounded him. Prince Chance feared the worst. His best friend bound by the enemy and under captive. It must have been part of their plan.

Their footprints disappeared into the thick brush of wood. Chance no longer could see where they went, but he went on the decision of following the direction straight from where the footprints left.

He needed to find Abason now and the Princess.

But he had to be careful.

~~~~~

The night went on. The moon had fully arisen showing it's full face. Angel felt uneasy during her sleep. She slept peacefully for a couple hours, but the feeling got her attention enough that she woke up again. She sat up, sensing that things will go awry.

And she didn't like it one bit.

She felt the need to do something, and the innermost of her being was telling her to get up.

So she did. She got off the bed and swung her legs to the side. She looked up at her window, revealing the full moon and it's moonlight. It gazed at her. Ominous it was; as Angel stared at it, bats flew the sky and disappeared from the windows frame.

She got up and stuck on her boots.

~~~~~

Prince Chance wasn't careful enough. He had stumbled in the darkness due to his inability to see well. He dared not to light a torch as it would be a detriment to his cover. If he had, he would be the big red target in the forest. He had to take his chances in the dark. After stumbling, he had found a cave. The night was getting too dark, the air was chilly, and he felt a sharp pang on his foot. He led his horse closer to the cave and tied his reigns to a tree. Prince Chance entered the cave to take a quick look at his foot. I'm not going to rest, he told himself.

I'm just here to check the throb that was now emanating from his body.

He lit a small fire inside the cave to cover it's light. He checked at his sole. Nothing. He pulled of his shoe to see his foot. He had stubbed his toe. He laughed at the thought to stop and check at such a small thing, although it had caused him some pain. His laughter left out of him freely, not fearing that anyone would hear, but he was wrong. He accidentally flung a stick he was holding above him. He looked up to catch the stick, but he got distracted.

Bats.

Flapping wings swooshed into his ears making the Prince to duck. He wrapped his head and curled up to keep them away, but some were brave enough to tag at him. He waved his arms attempting to shoo them. It had worked, but soon the bats made him ran out of the cave. He got up and dodged within the wood. He slouched into a tree for cover then waited for all of them to leave. He had left his boot inside the cave and needed to retrieve it. Sure enough, the bats left after a few minutes. He stuck the boot on and snuffed out the fire.

He must have been seen.

~~~~~

Angel walked out the house. She watched in the distance as bats flew above. Their faint screeches could be heard in the night as they flapped their black wings that just seemed to blend in the night sky. Away on the corner of her eye was the meeting room. It was still lit up.

~~~~~

The meeting was dismissed. The crickets chirped in the silent night. Everyone had left one by one to go back to their posts or to their sleep, heavy burdens upon their backs. No one knew how everything would turn out. They all knew they had to stay on their toes because of the possibility Greanger might come. Prince Abason was with them and soon those in Greanger will need some input from Angel and Abason's progress for their search for the village.

Something didn't fit right however, in Saber's mind. They could have been taken over and searched for so easily before. But why is it that they have only begun now? Has the rumors of the woods being filled with monsters and scary creatures become true to their minds? They could go conquer anywhere else they wanted. But why now?

It bugged Saber. There must have been something no one knew about until now. There must be a motive of their interest in getting the princess or annihilating New Begin.

Revenge must have still played in the game.

Saber searched around. He must be missing something.

~~~~~

Angel took a quick peek into the meeting room. She could see it from the top of her tree house outside. The window facing her was partly covered with a curtain, but she angled herself to see more from the inside. Saber was too busy to notice her. His eyes were focused on a set of books and he was flipping through them swiftly as if skimming.

Angel got down from the ladder instead of the stairs. She knew there were people keeping watch around the camp so she had to stay hidden in the dark. It would be just like back then, the game she played as a little kid, hide and seek in the dark. Except this time, it was serious. Spotters are in their posts watching any movement from below the tree houses. Senses are heightened and alarmed more than ever, as they are more attentive to their surrounding for Greanger men. But Angel's senses were heightened also. Her eyes grabbed light and illuminated her surroundings into a balance of different shades of blue. She could tell where the shadows were deeper or lighter.

She scurried from shadow to shadow, her eyes making short, but quick note of her surroundings. For all she knew, there could have been hidden posts Saber ordered to be made she never knew of. Camouflaged men in the woods could be hiding in bushes and tops of trees. But so was she camouflaged. From her boots and her hood, she was covered in the colors of the woods.

Angel stopped as she got close to the meeting room. She needed to leave a note. Just in case.

"I should have done this earlier.." she muttered to herself.

But she knew she decided to go immediately and didn't let herself to think twice about thinking it over.

She grabbed a piece of paper and a wrote down a note.

~~~~~

Prince Chance left his horse next to the cavern. The brush and vegetation made it difficult to get his horse with him. There must have been another way to search and bring the horse, but it wasn't going to do any better. He wouldn't be able to search properly.

He patted his horse and whispered to his horse that he would be back. He went out deeper into the dark.

~~~~~

She made a hole in the corner of the note and looked behind her back. She was in a very easily targeted area with low coverage. She quickly took out a thread of sting and pushed it through the messy hole in the paper. She tied the note to the bottom railing of the meeting rooms spiral stairs. She made sure she double knotted it. She took one more look around her. There was someone in the bushes. His eyes reflected a little light from the room.

Crap...it's Peter.

He was hidden in the brush in position. His eyes just stared at me, and I stared back at him. His mouth wanted to open, but it only made a small separation from his top and lower lip. Wisps of white air came out of it as if all he could get out were whispers.

I gave him once last glance and placed my forefinger to my lips making a hushing lip to it.

He just stared and then I went.

~~~~~

Prince Chance could feel it in his veins. He's so close. He worked and waited so long just to do what he needed to do. He searched and plotted, but none of them really got him to do what he wanted to do. But now..it just fell in his lap and it slipped away.

He was going to find her. He was going to do what he needed to do.

To become his father's son again.

He was caused with so much heartache, hatred, and loss. He was so close, and he's getting closer.

Prince Chance whacked at a plant blocking his way. Power of rage flowed through his being. His one single whack snapped the young growing tree into a limp. He trampled it in his feet. His senses reached to a higher level than he ever had.

Then he heard a rustle.

~~~~~

Angel heard a whack. Immediately, in the rush of adrenaline, she followed the sound. Thrill chilled through her bones, her eyes wide in anticipation searching the dark. Her breath hitched quickly, but silently. Her ears perked up for any movement, her legs and feet watching each step. She kept it silent, but she stopped moving. She heard that where ever the movement was coming from, it stopped. It knew. Whatever it or who it was she heard, stopped and grew silent too.

She listened and stood still.

~~~~~

The rustling stopped, but Chance knew exactly where it came from. He moved closer.

~~~~~

Peter snapped out of it. He knew Saber told him to stay put and move away from position only if there was danger or if it was a shift switch. Angel was long gone, and it was running in his mind. Should I stay put?

But then he came to a conclusion. This is danger. Angel could be in danger..why would she put herself in danger? He got up from his position and left it. He ran to the note.

~~~~~

Angel couldn't hear anything. She cupped her ears to hear better. She turned in certain directions to get a magnify of any sound.

~~~~~

She was right there. Standing. What was she doing with her hands to her ears? Oh..she did hear me. But this time her back was exactly where it needed to be.

Chance unsheathed his dagger bringing it up as he got closer.

~~~~~

Peter read the note.

His eyes grew wide as he read. He ran to tell Saber immediately.

~~~~~

Angel turned her head hearing a small crackle behind her...her eyes widened. It was dark, but it was clear enough for her to know who it was.

~~~~~

Chance took his chance. Her back turned. Seeing that she heard his approach, he lifted the dagger up quickly. He saw her widening eyes and his body felt he couldn't kill.

~~~~~

Angel saw it before it came down. It was a surprise to her that he had a dagger to her back. She couldn't think about why, she had no time. Instinctively, she tried to grab it from him, but it was too late...

~~~~~

Chance didn't stab her. He knocked her out instead. Something stopped him from doing it. He just couldn't kill her. She fell to the ground at the thrust on her head.

Prince Chance was going to bring her with him instead, as captive. Then maybe, he can do the bloody job..but where was Abason?

He had to get her bound first. Prince Abason will be next.

~~~~~

Saber was alarmed as he read the note.

Saber,

If you don't find me in three days, search. But don't worry, I'll be fine. I needed to go find out about Greanger. The King. The Prince.

Rally those allies, things could get heated up pretty soon.

Love,

Angel

Saber didn't understand. Neither did Peter. Why in the world would she go find out about Greanger? Could she have entered the most dangerous place to her now? To face the ultimate and true enemy, the one who wants her dead? And what was it about the Prince? What prince?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.9K 995 64
Judith couldn't believe what had happened in just a couple of hours. All her world just shattered. The fire was still going in front of her eyes as s...
88 0 50
"I just wanted to tell you that I understand your sacrifice to be here." I lower my eyes for a moment, pushing myself to stand up. Closing the space...
561 239 17
"Young Girls are told to be delicate princesses but you can be a warrior." ⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕ A warrior is born. Destined to be...
1.3K 144 42
At a certain juncture of time in the Middle Ages. A tyrannical king ruled his kingdom with an iron fist. His every whim was law, and his subjects liv...