Falling Through Portals

Od Elizabeth_Lux

Portals are one of the most interesting travel agents in the universe. They can get you anywhere, anytime, an... Viac

Percy Falls
Try Not To Be Burned To a Crisp
Swordsman and Demigod
Pendragons
To Soften the Hearts of the Wicked
Dragon and Rider
The Footsteps
Rumplestiltskin
Pirate's Life for Me
Destiny has a Sharp Sword
Tea Time at Midnight
The Institute
Death Games
Thread of Courage
Broken Body
America
Lord Perseus
Annabeth
Stepping on Toes
Scandalous Escape
Storm in Paradise
Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun
Shattered Glass and Broken Hearts
Comfort and Make-Overs
Suicide Jumpers
Be My Someone
The Chasm
Lorem
Blood in the Water
Cusp of Freedom
Dream or Reality?
Back in Enemies' Clutches
Rebellious Stranger
Identical
Hogwarts
A Normal Day in the Life of Percy Jackson
Harry Potter and the- wait thats Percy Jackson!
Postponed for the Day: Defense Against the Dark Arts
Thrown in the Dungeons
Coma Patient
The Queen
Out and About
"Sweet on America"
Ice Arrows and Squirtable Cheese
Funny Chapter Title (Laugh here)
Death by Griever
Robot Kidnappers
Trapped In the Maze
Welcome Hom- Back yeah that's what I meant welcome back
Keeli Yates
Let's Play With Sharp Objects!
Broken Showers and Drowning Maidens
Fall Out- Boy we are in trouble.
The Followed and The Dreamers
The Old Blankity-blank Hag
Why is Everyone Possessed?
Not the "T" Movie that must not be named . . .
Vampire Saga
Love Hurts-- don't try this at home
High Stakes
Everlark
The Guard and the Beautiful
Cat Eyes Bro-mance
Little Magic Here. Little Magic There. And Glitter Everywhere!!!
You think this is a Trap?
Ashes and Piles of Salt
I Know I shouldn't but- YOLO!
Darkness at the Fall
Clubbing with Demons and Sleuthing with Vampires
Pulled Apart
Lorem's Team- Assemble!
Avengers Vs. Militum
Lorem's Sacrifice
Christmas Onesies
Dart Guns over Coffee
Floating Around
On the Black Pearl
Master Games
Bad to Worse
Battle Under the Storm
Hiding in the Hills
The Not-so-Camp Half Blood
Knee Deep in Percabeth Sewage
Cuckoo For Coco Puffs
Hunted
Maz's Castle
The First Order
Percy Vs. Kylo Ren
JUST THROW ME IN THE LAKE
"Well hello there"
Clone Percy
Back in England
Uncle Sherlock
Yellow Graffiti
Open My Mind
Poison
Star Eaters
The Dark Cloud
Dinner and Dresses
The Beginning of the End
Time and Relative Dimension in Space
Spoilers
Break My Heart Once . . .
Greymare
The Master
"Rose Tyler-"
Ten Roses and Eleven Rivers
Two Wives
Glowing Eyes
One Day It Might Glow
How to Save the Universe 101
Into the Belly of the Beast
WE ARE THE MASTERS
Betrayers, Rescuers, Myrters
The End
Epilogue
Author's Note
Five Years Later

Lover's Gaze

7.2K 323 191
Od Elizabeth_Lux

Chapter 95

The phone rang in the silent but luxurious mansion. The phone was always ringing. Mycroft refrained from sighing as he picked up his phone and hit the talk button.

Mycroft Holmes was the greatest single asset to the British Government. He was the omniscient mind that kept the whole country afloat. To most, he was simply a tall man with a suit and an umbrella in hand. But to a very small circle of people he was, by some, the definition of the British Government in the flesh. Not many knew his name, and even less knew the man behind all of the problems he solved and the reach that he had. His brain and calculations had no match with any mind on the planet.

And of course he was also the older brother of Sherlock Holmes.

"What is it?" Mycroft tried to keep a pleasant tone but it came out more like tires on gravel.

"Sir," the wavering voice began, Mycroft could just tell from the breathiness on the other end that the man was winded –not from running, but from the fact that he was overweight and probably had a cholesterol problem. Although that wasn't much of a deduction considering most overweight people had a cholesterol problem. "We have had reports of some movement in London. It looks like something big is going down," the man said with a huff that Mycroft recognized as the sound of someone sitting down in a chair.

"Who is it?" Mycroft asked, jotting down a few notes on the piece of paper in front of him. He could already think of three people he would need to call.

"We are not sure . . . they have a few similarities with Moriarty's crew but there is something off with them," the man said. Mycroft could hear sloppy typing and the noises of other people.

"Moriarty is dead," Mycroft said as he flipped the page of his note pad, "Are you sending me the details of this group?"

"Uh-"the typing stopped and Mycroft cringed as he heard the man yell to someone else to get on the request. Probably an intern at the sound of the guy's tone. "It will be to you right away, Mr. Holmes, Sir."

Mycroft rolled his eyes, "Do you know where most of the activity is?" he tried not to let on his bored tone, but it seeped through. Because of his station, the man ignored it. One of the few perks that he had on his job, he could be flippant and still obeyed.

"Uhhhh," the man said as he heard some mouse clicking. Mycroft massaged his temple. "Yes!" the man said a little loudly into the receiver, Mycroft cringed, "Most of the men have been spotted on and around a Bakers Street."

Mycroft's pen slipped mid note. A dozen different factors raced through his mind as he sorted through who this gang could be. It made sense that they thought this was Moriarty's men. Of course they would, with his brother living there and their history . . . If Mycroft had used such words, he would have cursed.

He finished the note and barely kept his tone normal as he said, "Get me that info like your life depends on It." and then he hung up.

Standing from the table, Mycroft walked quickly into his study where his Laptop still glowed brightly. Sitting down at his desk he checked his email and quickly ingested the information that the lackey had sent him.

Mycroft's eyebrows drew in concern. This was far worse than he had imagined . . . this was the group they had been tracking for months. The group that had taken nothing, done nothing except exist just out of their reach waiting for trouble to arrive. And arrive it did.

Right at his brother's doorstep.

******************

"I have never been to a morgue before," Percy said as he tilted his head to look at the florescent lights and white painted pipes that crisscrossed all over the celling.

"Well," Militum said, "Don't worry, you will go to another one before long. But whether it is before or after death, well that's your decision," he shot Percy a razor sharp smile.

Percy rolled his eyes at him.

Sherlock opened the door at the end of the hall and entered with John close behind. Lorem brought up the back as they poured into the room. It was dimmer inside the room than the hall way beyond. There were different rows of counters full of lab equipment and work space. Everything was a wash of stark white. Percy was glad for the dimness of the room, because otherwise it might have been blinding.

A woman with mousy brown hair and a lab coat on and clear protection glasses stood in front of the group in a surprised silence while Sherlock and John walked around her to the farthest workspace counter. The woman held some sort of syringe in her hand and was gawking at Percy and his companions when she recovered from her shock.

She pivoted to look at Sherlock who had already sat down and began working on something.

"Sherlock," she said, "What are you doing?"

Sherlock ignored her and didn't look up. Instead it was John who gave her a tight smile and walked back over.

"He is trying to solve a puzzle," John glanced at the Lorem, Militum, and himself, "Three of them, actually."

She followed his stare and seemed to understand, "Was there a murder or . . ."

"Well," John sighed, "There was one, and then these three appeared out of nowhere on the crime scene."

"What do you mean?" she asked.

John leaned in a little bit, "they literally fell in from the celling of the flat into the hall way outside the room of the crime scene. Like not from the flat above, but from nowhere."

Her eyes widened and she looked back at the three of them with new appreciation.

Percy waved at her, "Hi, I am Percy." Militum elbowed him and Percy cried out softly and glared at him.

"Hello," the woman said, waving the nasty looking syringe slightly, "My name is Molly." She glanced over her shoulder at Sherlock who was looking through a microscope, completely oblivious to the rest of them. With a sigh through her nose, she hurried into the other room.

Percy looked at John to see what they were supposed to do and he had already walked over to where Sherlock was sitting. Lorem followed. Only Militum stayed by the door.

"Do you want to look around?" Percy offered.

Militum gave him a look, "What? Are you anxious to see more dead bodies?"

The phrase struck a chord in him and made him suddenly feel sick to his stomach. A wave of dizziness passed over him and Percy blinked his eyes to clear his vision. Putting his hand against the wall to steady himself, Percy pressed his fingers against his temple. In his mind's eye he saw bodies littered on the floor, blood soaking the carpet beneath his feet.

As soon as it came it was gone along with the dizziness. When he looked up he found Militum looking at him with concern.

"You alright?" he asked.

Percy nodded, "Yeah," he cleared his throat, "Fine."

Percy left the door and walked over to where Sherlock and Lorem were talking. When Percy stood next to Lorem she leaned towards him.

"He is looking some particles from the mud on my shoes," she explained.

Percy frowned, "what is that supposed to do?"

"He can find out where it came from, maybe give us somewhere to start looking for clues about our missing time," she said.

Militum leaned against the table next to Percy, "I am not sure what good that will do, and we went to other dimensions. The compounds could be completely different."

Lorem considered it and was silent.

Sherlock inhaled slowly and then moved the slide out from under the microscope and walked over to a cabinet with chemicals and other cool stuff. Percy wondered if they had liquid nitrogen . . .

A phone on the table began vibrating. Percy reached over and picked it up. The name on the caller id was someone called, "Mycroft?" Percy said.

John's head snapped in Percy's direction and then back at Sherlock, "Sherlock," he said, "Mycroft is calling."

Sherlock waved a hand at him and continued looking around in the closet. John sighed out his nose and put his hand on his waist. Percy shrugged and set the phone back on the counter. Soon the vibrating stopped and the screen went dark.

Two seconds later the vibrating started again with the same caller id.

"Um, the same guy is calling," Percy alerted them.

Sherlock didn't bother turning around, "I am ignoring him."

John sighed louder this time, "You can't just ignore Mycroft," John said.

"I can and I will," Sherlock said after finally choosing something from the closet and then walked back over to his station. Completely ignoring the buzzing phone until it stopped and went silent again.

Percy exchanged looks with Militum who looked about as bored as a log.

Suddenly there was a cell phone ringing and Percy watched John reach into his pocket and laugh.

"He's calling me now,"

"Don't answer it," Sherlock said without turning to look at his friend.

John rolled his eyes and brought the phone to his ear, "Hello?"

Sherlock groaned.

Percy leaned over to Militum, "They fight like old ladies," Percy whispered. Militum chuckled. Lorem walked closer to Sherlock and looked over his shoulder to see what he was doing with the chemicals and the samples they took from their clothes and whatever else he had found on them. There must have been a better reason than looking at dirt samples. He had to agree with Militum in how unreliable that would be.

Percy glanced at Militum to say something and found his attention completely taken. Percy followed his gaze to where Lorem stood, hand braced against the counter on the other side of Sherlock as she looked over his shoulder. Her white hair fell across her face in a veil.

Percy swallowed and turned to Militum to reprimand him, but stopped short when his harsh and cold eyes were suddenly filled with . . . warmth. As Militum continued to stare at her, completely oblivious of Percy, and a small smile seemed to crinkle on his face. Percy was taken back. The guy actually looked like a human being for once. Like he actually . . . cared about her.

He thought of what Militum had said back in the apartment. The way he had claimed her . . . Percy didn't know what to think. Did he actually like her beyond what power he could gain from her? Was that even possible given what he was?

Militum caught Percy staring at him and the smile vanished. Percy could have sworn there was a bit of color in the guy's cheeks as he pushed away from the counter and walked over to the cabin ate of wonder that Sherlock had gotten stuff out of.

Percy pursed his lips and looked between him and Lorem. Over the past few dimensions, Militum had been much more manageable. Less of the evil overlord that had kidnapped him and then forced Lorem into that . . . promise. Now he was more of an annoying older brother with more idle threats than ones it was obvious he would act on. Either way, the guy had saved his life. And Percy had returned the favor. But just because he had saved the guy didn't mean Percy wanted him to move on Lorem.

Percy walked around Sherlock and stood between Lorem and Militum.

John walked back over to them, his face was blanched and his eyes wide.

"Sherlock," John said, there was an edge of panic in his voice.

Sherlock mumbled something as he used a dropper on some of the samples.

"Sherlock," John said a bit more frantically.

"What?" Sherlock didn't bother looking up.

John surged forward, the panic was much more obvious on his face, and "There are armed gang members on Baker Street."

At this, Sherlock looked up with brows furrowed.

John held up his phone, "Mycroft says that they have been circling, our flat, for weeks. Sherlock, he said that they have been watching us."

Percy looked between Sherlock and John with eye brows raised. Sherlock inhaled sharply. Before even replying, he stood and walked over to the blind covered window. Lifting up one of the blinds, he peered down to the street below. Percy counted to five and Sherlock dropped the shade and turned to grab his coat off one of the chairs.

"We need to get out of here," Sherlock said softly, "Now."

Molly walked in from the other room, plastic gloves that were covered in gunk raised in the air.

"What is happening?" she asked.

Sherlock was already moving for the door.

"Sherlock!" John followed his friend, grabbing his jacket from where he had put it on the counter.

Percy looked at Lorem and she was already moving to follow.

"Sherlock, what did you see?" John demanded. Sherlock looked Molly in the eye as he passed her.

"Lay low, and stay quiet. After your shift ends, I will send a message to you of where it will be safe to meet us. Call Mrs. Hudson and tell her to go to the store, I will send her instructions." Sherlock turned up his collar and walked out the door, leaving them all to follow.

Molly didn't even say good bye as she peeled off her gloves and went back into the other room. John paused at the door as if he debated telling something to Molly and thought better of it. His face was pulled into an expression that resembled someone who had just taken a bite out of a lemon. His eyes locked on to the three of them. He sighed through his nose.

"Follow me," he said before ducking out the door.

*************

Lorem and Percy speed walked down the hall with Militum on their heels. Sherlock turned down a different way than how they had come up and was moving quickly. Percy was soon walking in front of her as her shorter limbs betrayed her.

She picked up the pace and glanced behind her to see Militum. His face was calm despite the situation. When she looked back she found Percy's eyes on her. She could see a silent question on his lips but his face was unreadable. Lorem would deal with that later.

Sherlock burst through a door that led to a stairwell beyond and began racing done them. John was in hot pursuit. By the time they were in the stairwell Lorem could hear John muttering something under his breath about Sherlock. Down and down they went, all the way to the ground floor. Sherlock was waiting for them. He opened the exit door just enough for him to look outside and then let it close again. Lorem heard John curse under his breath.

"What is going on?" John whispered furiously.

Sherlock ignored his friend entirely as he looked at the three of them, "They are here for you," his eyes locked on her, "they have us surrounded. We probably won't make it ten feet without their men converging on us."

John cursed again, "Then why are we about to head out the back way?"

"Because," Sherlock glanced at him, "there is an alley back here that will lead to one of my homeless networks." Lorem could tell there was another reason but he didn't say it. "We are going to need to run fast, because they are not the friendly type."

"What gave that away?" Percy asked, "Was it that fact that they have been watching your flat or that they have probably come here to kill us?"

Lorem ignored him and looked at Sherlock, "How did you know they were after us?"

Sherlock rolled his eyes, "I won't insult your intelligence by answering that question."

Lorem flushed.

"We go now," Sherlock said as he flung open the door.

They flew through the opening and into the alley with soft feet. Lorem could feel it instantly. Her whole body went cold as they ran in the shadows of the alley. Militum's eyes met hers and she knew he could feel it too. These were not human hunters.

She had known that the assassins would start coming after they left what Percy called, the star wars. But something must have happened in those other dimensions . . . there had to be a reason that they had been watching Sherlock and john weeks before they had fallen into their lives. How could they have known where they were going? Unless . . .

An arrow hit the ground inches from her feet.

"MOVE!" she yelled as they sprinted through the alley.

Arrows rained on them. They were above. The assassins were on the roof.

Percy must have been thinking the same thing. "They are on the roof!" Percy screamed.

Immediately the group split in two and ran for the walls. Lorem crouched with Sherlock as they pressed against a collection of trash bins. Someone screamed in pain. Her whole body went tense as she looked over at Percy who had just limped into the shadow of the hospital building. An arrow was sticking out of his calf.

Lorem bit back a curse and craned her head to see who was shooting at them. And then she realized it just as the shooter came into view, a silhouette against the noon day sun.

"We are on the wrong side of the alley," Sherlock said as the shooter took aim at Lorem's head.

Lorem glanced at Militum. He nodded in silent agreement.

Lorem clamped a hand on Sherlock's shoulder.

"Think of somewhere safe," she commanded seconds before the ground vanished and an arrow plunked into the wall where her head had been.

****************

Militum's heart was racing. Lorem and Sherlock disappeared mere seconds before an arrow almost killed her. Percy leaned against the wall, panting and sliding down to rest against Militum's arm. His calf was already drenched in blood. John knelt down to look at the wound and Militum hissed at him to stand back up, flat against the wall.

The guy sent him a glare before standing back up.

Militum looked down at Percy and his eyes were half lidded. He cursed colorfully.

"Jackson," Militum growled, "Get up."

Percy stirred and took some of his weight against the wall.

"Arrow . . ." Percy mumbled, "Poison . . ."

John and Militum looked at each other. This was not good. Militum let out another few curses and grabbed Percy's arm and put it around his shoulder. John did the same thing.

"Do you know where we would be safe here?" Militum demanded of John. Percy's head rolled to the side. This was bad they needed to get help. Now.

"y-yes," John nodded. The look of hesitation on his face really gave Militum a lot of faith in the guy. But he didn't have time to argue.

Militum sucked in a breath, "Hold on."

Then the three of them disappeared too.

***********

Author's Note:

Greetings Readers!

So I have some incredible news. This made me really excited. So I was reading The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J Maas (awesome book by the way) and I had a break through. So you know the noise you make when you are reading something that you think is funny and you blow air out your nose in sort of a chuckle/laugh? Well for YEARS I had no idea how to take that noise and put it into writing. Like saying: Percy blew air out his nose, sounds kind of weird and creepy. So I have been racking my brain for a way to describe that when I read it described in that book as: he sighed through his nose.

I was like AH!!!! Yeas!!!! Finally!!! The truth reveals itself!!!!

So it is a small victory as an author, but it's the small victories that count, right?

Anyway, I am really pleased with this revelation.

Let me see . . . what else would I like to tell you?

AH! Okay! So this is big, especially since I usually have no time on my hands. Okay, so some of you know that I have been pretty ill with something called Mono which keeps you in bed and mostly miserable. But the one thing that I am able to do that is productive is write and edit on my laptop. So as many of you probably noticed, the beginning chapters of this book were pretty awful when held up against some of my more recent work. This make sense since I wrote the third chapter two years before I wrote chapter 94 for example. So I have obviously gotten better at writing, (yay) which is great but that also left this gaping hole in Falling Through Portals where some of them were just rubbish to be honest.

All of this to say, I have gone back through and edited chapters 1-23. I wish I could say not much changed but considering all of the rewriting I did, I would be lying. Nothing of incredible importance changed, but I will say that if you are bored, it might be worth a reread just to see what changed and what is better. Now it is not perfect by any means. I could edit a single paragraph till the cows come home but not get it perfect, but they are a lot better. If you don't want to read all of the chapters then I would recommend reading the chapter "Death Games" up until "Shattered Glass and Shattered Hearts." Those chapters have changed the most and I think you will enjoy them much better this time around.

If you do end up doing that please feel free to comment on some of the differences. I know at some parts I was like: how does this even make sense? Lol. So if you want to be like: oh that makes much more sense. That would be cool of you.

To wrap this up I want to dedicate this chapter to a very special reader. @MeTheAwesomest you have been a complete joy to watch and read the comments of. You have been so fantastic and so encouraging, I just want to thank you for being the awesomest.

Love you guys!

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

239K 5.9K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
852K 39.7K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
561K 12.4K 39
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
307K 6.8K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc