Othello Greene: The Story Beg...

由 Jourstarr

Lt. Othello Greene, the leader of America's most lethal and efficient elite special ops group is captured, to... 更多

THE DAY DIDN'T START OUT LIKE THIS
A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE MALL
SOMETIMES YOUR BEST IS JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH
HE'S JUST NOT WORTH IT
DID I DO THAT?
MOMMA DIDN'T RAISE NO FOOL
SMOOTH OPERATOR
NEVER DOUBT ME
HE HAS NOTHING MORE TO OFFER
12 PLAY
IT COULD BE WORSE
NOT EVERYTHING THAT LOOKS GOOD IS
WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS STAYS IN VEGAS
YOU AIN'T SCARED TO TALK TO ME LIKE THAT?
FROM THE MOUTHS OF BABES
IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN . . .
I AIN'T NO GANGSTER, BUT DON'T PUSH ME
CALL THE EXTERMINATOR
Message to Readers

THE TRUTH CAN BE A HARD PILL TO SWALLOW

30 0 0
由 Jourstarr

Chapter 19

Othello awakened refreshed and clear headed. His emotional release the previous evening lifted a thousand pounds of internal garbage off his shoulders. His physical situation was abysmal, but without the true desire or strength to take his own life, he had to find a way to move forward. And he was resolved to do so. He watched part of his new world come to life as the morning sun illuminated the darkness through the window. Beautiful cockatoos played and danced in trees, to the melodic sounds of finches calling out for mates. Large green geckos slowly navigated small delicate branches in search of their sunrise meals. It became clear to him that even the most insignificant of life will continue on, no matter the circumstance. It was time he faced his reality and looked at the world through his new eyes, find some way to discover his place in it.

As expected, Khan entered the room with a warm greeting, "Good morning, Mr. Greene. You look well rested. How do you feel?" he asked.

"I feel . . . as well as can be expected, under the circumstances."

"All praise due to Allah. I guess that's all any of us can expect. I see that you are speaking much better without the vocal device. Do you still wish to use it?"

"No, I don't believe it will be necessary," he said, moving his jaw around with his left hand. His voice still sounded off because of missing teeth. "I don't know how, but I believe my jaw is healed."

"Glory to Allah," Khan said in Arabic, adding, "He has truly blessed us with the absolute best medical staff," in English.

"So far, I cannot argue that. But do you think I could begin to eat regular food again, instead of receiving it through these tubes?"

"Ah, you've gotten your appetite back," Khan replied brightly. "I can't make you any promises. However, I will make an inquiry."

"Thank you," Othello replied awkwardly, realizing that they were being cordial. "I would appreciate that."

"So, are you up to revisiting the conversation we had several days back?" Khan asked.

"At the moment, Khan, I have nothing better to do."

A smile flashed across Khan's face and he pulled a chair up close to the bed. He wasted no time getting straight to it. "If I recall correctly, you have a dislike for Muslims, to put it mildly, because of at least three personal beliefs you attribute to them. Is that correct?"

"Yes, at least three," Othello responded.

"The first belief is that we are terrorists that kill innocent men, women, and children. Is that correct?" he asked.

"That's correct."

"The truth is that these actions do take place," Khan replied, with no reservations. "But they are not proper actions of Muslims. Let me show you . . . Ahmed."

"Yes, Khan," replied the computer-generated voice.

"Please lower the video screen and pull up Surah al Maida ayat 32 with the English translation."

"Yes, Khan," the computer replied, and the screen promptly lowered, displaying his request.

Khan beautifully recited the verse in Arabic and then repeated it in English: "I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Shaitan. In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful . . . on that account. So we decreed for the Tribe of Israel that if someone kills another person—unless it is in retaliation for someone else for causing corruption in the earth—it is as if he had murdered all mankind. Our Messengers came to them with Clear Signs, but even after that many of them committed outrages in the earth," he spoke slowly and clearly. "Here, Mr. Greene, Allah is telling us that because Qabil killed Habil when his offering was not accepted, better known to you as Cain and Abel, He prohibited killing without valid excuse, such as the retaliation of a murder or causing corruption in the earth."

"Those are the very reasons Muslims give after they commit terrorist acts," Othello replied.

"Again, you are correct. Most of us do . . ."

"Us?" he interrupted.

"Yes. Us. I am a Muslim and these people you call terrorists are my brothers, even if they are misguided. But please allow me to finish," Khan said. Othello nodded. "Most of us engaged in these acts use these excuses. But Allah went further to say in that verse, 'Our Messengers came to them with Clear Signs but even after that many of them committed outrages in the earth.' Allah is telling us that He sent Messengers and Prophets to teach us the truth and the proper way to conduct ourselves, and they performed Miracles as proof of Allah's power and their legitimacy. But the people still exceeded the limits with respect to killing and other things. This is the state of some of my brothers, today. So do not judge an entire people by the misguided acts of a few, just as you would not condemn all Christians for the horrific slavery that took place in your country, or the utter annihilation of the indigenous race that inhabited North America by good God-fearing Christians."

Othello smirked, "You've got a point," he admitted, seemingly unmoved.

"Let me go a little further on that point, God willing," said Khan. "Islam categorically prohibits killing women and children, unless they are taking part in the battle. There is a well-known narration, or hadith, which is a saying or tradition of the Prophet Muhammad, may Allah bless him and grant him peace." Khan would say this every time the Prophet's name was mentioned. "In which a woman was found killed in one the expeditions of the Messenger of Allah, so the Messenger of Allah rebuked that, and he prohibited killing women and children."

"If these are from books that you live by, then why do so many Muslims do the opposite?" Othello asked bitterly.

"There you go again, generalizing." Khan replied. "But to answer your question, generally speaking, some are controlled by their own desires, whether they be greed, power, or political difference. Some are just pawns who cannot read or write but love Allah and His Messenger (SAW) and are manipulated by false interpretations of the Holy writings to commit impermissible acts."

"Pawns?" Othello responded. "Are these pawns the ones who blow themselves up, believing they're going to heaven to bang out a hundred virgins?"

Khan simply smiled at Othello's disrespectful remark and calmly said, "If you are referring to what your government calls suicide bombers, I would say yes, for the most part. Suicide is outright prohibited in Islam. Ahmed, pull up Surah an Nisa ayat 29 and 30."

"Yes, Khan," the computer replied, and the requested information appeared on the screen.

"Allah the Mighty, the Majestic, said in the Quran, 'Do not kill yourselves, for Allah is compassionate towards you. Whoever does so, in transgression and wrongfully, we shall roast in a fire, and that is an easy matter for Allah.' The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: 'Of those before you, there was once a wounded man who could not bear it, so he took a knife and cut his arm, and bled until he died. Allah Most High said, "My slave has taken his life before I have, so I forbid him Paradise,"'" Khan explained. "This is proof that those misguided actions will not get you into Paradise, and Allah knows best. It is only upon misguidance and going astray from the true teachings of Islam that these brothers commit their well-intentioned acts. And it is seventy-two wives among the six things promised to Martyrs into Paradise, Mr. Greene."

"Damn," he replied. "I really thought you Muslims were supposed to kill yourselves fighting for your God." he said.

"No. You will receive the blessings of being a Martyr for fighting and dying in a cause of Allah. Here is a clear example: If I am fighting an enemy and I see twenty of them, armed and ready to fight, and I strap on a bomb and blow them and myself up, I just committed suicide. Now let's say I see the same twenty men and I grab a gun and go into battle against them. I may die or I may survive. I left the decision with Allah. If I die, I will die a Martyr, if the cause was for the sake of Allah. And Allah knows best."

"I can understand that. It makes sense to me," Othello admitted.

"It is surely the will of Allah. All praise due to Allah," Khan said, pleased.

"Can we move on to your next issue with Muslims?"

"Yeah, ok. I'm looking forward to this one," Othello replied, truly interested.

"I hope I can live up to your anticipation," Khan replied. "Your second issue was that Muslims oppress, debase, and abuse women. Is that correct?"

"Yes. And this one is too evident for you to get around," he replied confidently.

"Ok, Mr. Greene," Khan smiled. "Let's see what Allah says in His Book. Ahmed, pull up Surah al A'raf ayat 189."

"Yes, Khan." the computer replied, pulling up the requested verse.

Khan once again recited the verse in Arabic and repeated it in English: "'It is He who created you from a single soul and from it made its mate, that he might find tranquility in her.' You see, our father Adam lived in Paradise with all of his needs attended to. But he was the only human and yearned for a mate that would make him complete. A very knowledgeable companion of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) named ibn Abbas relates that Adam fell asleep and when he awoke, he found a woman, whom God had created from his rib, sitting beside him. 'Who are you?' he asked her. 'A woman,' she replied. 'Why were you created?' he asked. 'That you may find tranquility in me,' she replied. Then the angels asked Adam. 'What is her name, O Adam?' 'Hawwa.' he replied. 'Why is she called Hawwa?' the angels asked. 'Because she was created from something living,' Adam replied. Ahmed, pull up al Baqara ayat 187," Khan requested.

"Yes, Khan."

"'They, women, are clothing for you and you are clothing for them.' Ahmed, pull up al Baqara ayat 223."

"Yes, Khan."

"'Your women are fertile fields for you, so come to your fertile fields, however you like. Send good ahead for yourself and be fearful of Allah. Know that you are going to meet Him. And give good news to the believers.' Ahmed, pull up al Baqara ayat 228."

"Yes, Khan."

"'And they, women, have rights similar to those, of men, over them in kindness, and men are a degree over them.' Ahmed, pull up an Nisa ayat 19," Khan continued.

"Yes, Khan."

"'You who believe! It is not lawful for you to inherit women by force. Nor may you treat them harshly so that you can make off with part of what you have given them unless they commit an act of flagrant indecency. Live together with them correctly and courteously. If you dislike them, it may well be that you dislike something when Allah has placed good in it.' You see, Mr. Greene, Allah does not subjugate woman to abuse of men. In actuality, your statements couldn't be farther from the truth," Khan explained. "Before the advent of Islam, women had no rights at all. In the Arabian Peninsula, daughters were buried alive at birth. When a man died, his son could take his widow as his wife, without her choice. The woman was merely property, something easily discarded when a male had no more use for her. Islam changed all that and elevated woman to the status Allah intended for her. There is no system, set of laws, judicial procedure, legal process, civil code, moral compass, or anything else that you can produce that takes better care of the woman, than what Allah the Mighty, the Majestic, has sent down. So once again, you are taking individual publicized incidents and making them a blanket to cover all Muslims."

"You seem to know the Quran very well," Othello remarked. "That was very enlightening. Funny how you forgot to mention how it tells you to beat them," he snapped.

"Ahh!" said Khan and smiled. "I would never avoid nor stray away from a single word, letter, period, or comma in our Holy Book. These are sacred Words of Allah and our only true guidance to Paradise. Ahmed, pull up Surah an Nisa ayat 34."

"Yes, Khan."

"'Men have charge of women because Allah has preferred the one above the other and because they spend their wealth on them. Right-acting women are obedient, safeguarding their husbands' interests in their absence as Allah has guarded them. If there are women whose disobedience you fear, you may admonish them, refuse to sleep with them, and then beat them. But if they obey you do not look for a way to punish them. Allah is All High, Most Great.' I will now take time to fully explain to you this ayat, so God willing, you will never again repeat it in a negative manner."

Othello stared in amazement at the passion this man had for his faith, his thorough knowledge that was readily available in his mind without the slightest hesitation or thought. His patience and desire to teach his way of life made Othello admire him and stirred him to want to learn more. He also realized that had it not been for his debilitating condition, he would not have had the patience to tolerate any explanations.

"The first line." Khan continued. "'Men have charge of women because Allah preferred the one above the other and because they spend their wealth on them.' This could be translated, 'Husbands are the protectors and maintainers of their wives because Allah has given the one more strength than the other, and because they support them from their means.' In either translation, Allah is making it clear that men are better than women, and a man is better than a woman."

"Hold on, Khan." Othello interrupted. "I can't go for that. My mother was just as strong and equal to any man. She broke her back to take care of me, without a man, and I never went to bed hungry. My partner Ramirez was as lethal a killer as any man I know. And look at Heather Cotton. She's president of the United States."

"These are all indisputable facts, but they in no way negate the statements of Allah the Most High. Western culture with its outright disobedience and utter rejection of Allah's Commandments has degraded itself into a state akin to barbarism, where young children—boys and girls—are molested and sodomized. Senseless killing is commonplace. Women leave the home practically naked. Television displays pornography disguised as music videos or soap operas." Khan ranted. "Excuse me, I'm a little off point. In Western culture, men no longer protect and maintain their women. So in an effort to survive, the woman imitates the role of the man. They go out and work to provide for themselves and their children, taking on the role of the man. Even in two-parent homes, they both work. The end result is children being raised by a surrogate parent, whether it be day care, a babysitter, or a television. This dynamic, and the ills that come along with it, is symptomatic of today's society. And it is a direct result of disobeying the Commands of Allah. As for your friend Ramirez imitating a man and being highly efficient at it, she is not the norm and I'm sure you would agree," Khan explained, wanting to say he was sure she didn't feel like a man when her captors violated her but thinking better of it.

"You're right. I wouldn't compare her to any other woman," Othello replied.

"As for Heather Cotton, I will give you this. In an authentic hadith, the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said, 'A people will never succeed who give their leadership to a woman.' He said this more than 1,430 years ago, and it is manifesting itself in your country today. Your country is on the verge of destruction. Allah has unleashed a powerful enemy upon the United States, far beyond your imagination."

"It's just a coincidence that she is in office when this maniac decided to raise his head," Othello replied, agitated.

"It is?" Khan asked, receiving no reply. "Bottom line. Men should provide for, maintain, and protect women, allowing them the opportunity to properly maintain the home and teach the children. This is good for society as a whole."

Othello refused to respond as a dark hole opened up in his heart as deep as a Maya Angelou poem, remembering life at home with his mother before his father was killed. She was home all day, watching him and Kojo, reading them stories before their afternoon naps. Baking cakes and cookies, letting them lick the bowl. Playing board games and all the things that come along with simply being there. But when his father died and his mother was forced to go to work, nothing filled the void of their absence, and he knew that Khan was speaking the truth.

The silence informed Khan of Othello's acceptance of his explanation more than words could have ever expressed. He continued, "The next line, Allah says, 'Right-acting women are obedient, safeguarding their husbands' interests in his absence as Allah has guarded them,' Khan restated. "In an authentic hadith, the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said, 'The best among women is the one who pleases you when you look at her, obeys you when you give her an order, and guards herself and your wealth during your absence.' I ask you, Mr. Greene, what would be more beautiful than that?"

"To be honest, Khan . . . I couldn't imagine it. I've never had a long-term relationship," he replied with regret in his voice.

"If Allah wills, He will provide you with the proper relationship," Khan said reassuringly.

"Those days are over for me. Nobody is going to want a twisted cripple," Othello said, turning his head away.

"Mr. Greene, you never know what Allah has in store for you," Khan replied, placing his hand on Othello's shoulder. His sincerity and comforting tone brought calmness to Othello's soul, which had been a stranger to him for many years, a long-lost friend that suddenly and unexpectedly reappeared, reminding him of days gone by when life was more important than death. Khan pushed forward. "The next line that you eluded to I will now try to explain: 'If there are women whose disobedience you fear, you may admonish them, refuse to sleep with them, and then beat them. Allah is All High, Most Great!' Allah is now informing us of a direct course of action, in the event our wives become disobedient. First and foremost, we are told to advise them and remind them of Allah and the threat of His punishment. This is a serious warning for anyone who fears their Lord. We have no idea what Allah's punishment may be. So, if she pays no heed to that, then we are told to not have sex with them and turn our back on them in bed."

"It sounds to me like we are punishing ourselves," Othello interrupted humorously. Khan smiled deeply. "I do believe you are correct, Mr. Greene. It could definitely be hard on us as well," "he said, and paused. "If that doesn't convince her to abstain from being disobedient, then we beat them, lightly," he continued, emphasizing the word "lightly."

"Whoa! It doesn't say beat them lightly," Othello objected. "You just said, 'Beat them lightly.' Someone else might not look at it that way. They might feel like it says, 'Beat the shit out of them.'"

"Actually, in an authentic hadith, the Prophet (SAW) said in his farewell pilgrimage, 'And fear Allah in women, for they are your aides, and their duty toward you is that your beds should not be shared with someone you dislike. Therefore, if they disobey you, beat them lightly, and your duty towards them is that you should maintain and buy them clothes in a reasonable manner.' Remember what I told you, Mr. Greene, Allah sends Prophets and Messengers as guides to show us the proper way to live. In another hadith, someone asked the Prophet (SAW), 'O Allah's Messenger (SAW)! What is a man's duty towards his wife?' The Prophet(SAW) replied, 'Feed her when you feed yourself, buy her clothes when you buy yourself clothes, do not hit her in the face, do not scold and do not desert her except in the house.' So you see, there is nothing unreasonable or barbaric about Allah's laws. But enemies of Islam will take the Sacred Writings out of context to dissuade people away from the truth."

"Damn." Othello responded. "Without an explanation of the Quran, you really don't understand, fully, what is written. I didn't think anyone could explain that in a way that would make sense to me. You're not actually beating women, you're spanking them," he laughed.

"Very funny, Mr. Greene," Khan smiled. "But believe me, following Allah's commands makes life so much easier. Here is an example of Allah's mercy: 'But if they obey you do not look for a way to punish them. Allah is All High, Most Great!' Allah sent a clear warning that if you treat your wives unjustly without reason, He will take revenge upon whosoever does so. Islam is just, because Allah is the Most Just. God willing, you will now understand this."

There was a momentary silence before Othello admitted, "Khan . . . yes. Yes, I do understand. I'm man enough to admit that on these two subjects, my understanding was twisted. Perhaps people do highlight the many despicable acts and not the truth about Islam. But you Muslims don't make it easy, claiming God comes first but doing anything. Attitudes and actions reflect leadership. In your Islamic countries I've seen nothing but injustice, on all levels of society."

"Is this unique to Islamic countries?" asked Khan.

"Don't change the subject, Khan," Othello snapped.

"You are right. That's not the subject," Khan responded, like a child with his hand caught in a cookie jar. "This is the next issue you have with Islam: that Muslims run corrupt governments and make insane amounts of money while the poor people starve. Is that what you're referring to, Mr. Greene?"

"Khan, you know full well that's what I'm talking about."

"Yes . . . I do," Khan replied, disturbed. "The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) once gave a lecture in which he told the people, 'Take note that I shall be called to Allah and will have to respond. Such leaders will assume authority over you who will do things that you are familiar with and well acquainted with. Obeying them will be true obedience. You will live with this status quo for some time until some other leaders take control after them. These leaders will do things that you will not be familiar with. Those who will lead them in wrong and will be their advisers in doing wrong will be destroyed and will destroy others as well. While you may associate with them physically, you must disassociate from· the evil activities. You must also testify to the good of those who do good and to the evil of the wrongdoers,' he explained. I tell you this story to say that, unfortunately, in some Islamic countries your statements are true. The Prophet (SAW) warned us against this fourteen hundred years ago. When Muslims followed the example and instructions conveyed through the Prophet (SAW), we were unified, strong, feared, and respected. Now that we follow Shaitan and our desires, we are debased, ununified, and we fear disbelievers. This is why Muslims all over the world are either at war or oppressed. We have made friends with the enemies of Allah, and He has left us at their mercy. Allah says in His Book, Surah 13 ayat 11, 'Verily never will Allah change the condition of a people until they change it themselves with their own souls.' So until we get back on the straight path, we are going to continue to be oppressed." Khan hesitated. "I hope you understand that although you may have witnessed some of these things, which made you have animosity toward Muslims, those actions are in no way a part of Islam."

"Alright, alright, Khan. Goddamn. You made your points clear, and I can't argue with anything you just said. But to keep it one hundred, I don't feel no different about Muslims. If you were on fire I wouldn't piss on you to put it out," he said bluntly, but not being completely honest.

"I didn't really expect you to feel any different. Allah made it clear in His Book. 'In their hearts is a disease and Allah increases their disease.' If it is the will of Allah, He will soften your heart, and not only will you understand the truth, you will accept it," Khan replied, getting up from the chair. "I think this is enough for today. I will speak with Dr. Osaka and see what he can do about getting real food."

"Thank you," Othello responded humbly. "Although we don't see eye to eye, I enjoyed the talk," Othello admitted.

"Yes . . . God willing, we will have more. Enjoy the rest of your day," Khan replied, holding back anger, trying to remain patient.

"God willing, we will," Othello answered, clearly mocking Khan, forcing a smile before he departed the room. Othello was pleasantly surprised that the conversation went so well. So much that was said had his mind racing. 'Who is this man, Muhammad? What's all in this Book, the Quran? Do I really have a disease in my heart?" he asked himself. He wanted to read. He needed to read. He needed answers. Khan had awakened a strange curiosity that had to be satisfied.

"Ahmad," he yelled.

"Give me some information on the life of the Prophet Muhammad."

"Your request is too broad. Please be more specific, Mr. Greene."

"Ok." He thought for a minute. "Please give me information on the history of the life of the Prophet Muhammad."

"Yes, Mr. Greene." the computer replied, as thousands of book selections appeared on the screen.

"What the fuck," Othello exclaimed, not having a clue that there was so much written on the subject. "Ahmad, please select the most popular selections in the English language."

"Yes, Mr. Greene." The list dwindled to a little over 150 titles. "Thank you, Ahmad. Please display The Sealed Nectar."

"Yes, Mr. Greene."

He began to read and instantly got caught up in the rapture of the most remarkable man to ever walk the planet. He spent hours reading page after page contemplating how it was possible, simply from a historical context, that he wasn't taught about this man during his education. For the first time in weeks, he had no care for the outside world. His mind was solely focused on this incredible human being. He felt that he had been purposely kept away from the true knowledge of Muhammad and his phenomenal accomplishments. And he needed to know why. The life of Muhammad ibn Abdullah ibn Abdul al Muttalib ibn Hashim, Abu al Qasim had captured his full attention.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

796 305 135
Ever since the Taychon Incident and the Merge/Convergence the timeline has changed, making the entire multiverse and Omniverse come together. Differe...
34.7K 1.6K 70
Imagine awakening with amnesia. Most would lose their mind and our Main Character is no different. Though he handles it better than most, his curiosi...
12 1 5
This marks the real beginning of a long journey, of pain, suffering, and losses. As ordinary as a journey may start, no one is capable of guessing wh...
28 1 9
Where did things go wrong? Or was it even right to begin with? Mistakenly late to home, she came across an unthinkable situation on an ordinary day. ...