Hidden

By tremaCA

Teen fiction + Paranormal An interracial romance novel. "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he nev... More

Hidden.
FACTS
I. Chats With Ghosts
II. The Shifters
III. Be Prepared
IV. Acting Normal
V. Restroom Incidents
VI. Psychic Immigrants
VII. Homefront Battleground
VIII. Inquisitive Encounters
IX. That Logan Boy
X. Alcohol and Magic Spells (I.)
X. Alcohol and Magic Spells (II.)
(XI.) - Part One
(XI.) - Part Two
(XII.)
(XIII.)
(XIV.)
(XV.)
(XVI.)
(XVII.)
(XVIII.)
(XIX.)
(XX.)
(XXI.)
(XXII.)
(XXIII.)
(XXIV.)
(XXV.)
(XXVI.) - Part One
(XXVI.) - Part Two
(XXVII.)
(XXVIII.)
(XXIX.) - Part One
(XXIX.) - Part Two
(XXX.)
(XXXI.)
(XXXII.)
(XXXIII.)
(XXXIV.)
(XXXV.)
(XXXVI.)
(XXXVIII.)
(XXXIX.)
(XL.)
(XLI.)
(XLII.) - Part One
(XLII.) - Part Two
(XLIII.)
(XLIV.)
(XLV.)
(XLVI.)
(XLVII.) - Part One
(XLVII.) - Part Two
XLVIII. The Monster Within
(XLIX.)
(L.)
(LI.)
(LII.) - Part One
(LII.) - Part Two
(LIII.) - Part One
(LIII.) - Part Two
(LIV.)
(LV.)
(LVI.) - Part One
(LVI.) - Part Two
(LVII.)
(LVIII.)
(LIX.)
(LX.)
LXI. In Between
IMPORTANT NOTICE

(XXXVII.)

63 3 2
By tremaCA

"Okay, everyone. Drop your pens. We're done with the test."

Those who were still writing grudgingly put down their pens and pencils. Mr Porcupine went around, taking the papers. He paused at Eric's desk, gave him a sly smirk, and picked up his script.

Eric sighed and leaned back in his chair. He'd been bored out of his mind since he finished writing fifteen minutes ago. As Doudall had told him, Mr Porcupine had given him a set of special questions, completely different from what he'd given others.

He didn't mind, though. Physics was no big deal for him. He'd been tackling it since the 1800s. Although, it was one of his worst subjects. Yet, he couldn't avoid it.

His dad had advised him to do it if he was going to fully control the departments belonging to him in Roshlin Incorporated after graduation.

Besides that, every other elective in science didn't seem adventurous. Or challenging. Well, both meant the same thing in Eric's dictionary.

Today, Craig was sitting beside him. As usual, he sat near a window. It looked like every other student in his classes knew his favourite sitting position, because no one ever dared to sit in the last row at the window side.

"I'm sure you busted it to nuts."

Eric gave him a sideways glance. "Yeah..." He drawled in a bored tone.

"I heard you had a special set."

He faced him. "Who mentioned?"

Craig tried to hold his gaze firmly. "Heard it in passing."

He nodded once, slowly. "I see." The boy looked away quickly. He stared harder, before focusing his attention on the scenery outside the window. Not that there was much of a scenery.

Craig had seemed to be a problem in the beginning. Smart, curious, competitive. After a series of tests and Eric was made an academic star, the boy turned to hostility. He hid it in fake smiles and short nods. Sometimes, he teased him with his words, trying to rile him up.

He smelt weird, but still human. Reading him had not been so easy. Getting something off his mind was like trying to suck water from a rock. Yet, he was an open book. Eric could tell that underneath the calm exterior and nerdy look, he had a dark heart. If someone like him became a vampire, they'd be a danger to mankind. But not as much danger as Eric. Never like him.

Just then, his mind drifted off to Jessica again. Wondering why a vampire or revolver would want her. He shut his eyes and cleared up his brain. He couldn't help it. She was a burden to his thoughts.

When she'd warned him to watch his front, he understood the threat she'd posed. She hoped to beat him academically.

Well, it was going to be fun watching a human try to beat a Talgan genius. So much fun. A corner of his lips twitched. That was all it did—twitch. It might be fun this time, but he suspected that it won't be next semester when she must have gained enough solid ground to floor him.

Raindrops fell, wetting the window panes. The walls and thick glass blocked out the titter-tatter they made against the roofs and cobblestone. Soon, the clouds parted and disintegrated into a heavy downpour.

Before the students headed for the last class of the day, the rain had begun in full force.

Jess ran towards the exit doors. She pushed them open, ran through the foyer and to the main front doors.

It was too late. She couldn't walk under the rain and soak herself.

The sound of footsteps approaching made her turn and look back.

"What happened?" Doudall asked, concern evident in his voice. There was even a slight crease on his forehead.

Jess was taken aback for a moment. She hadn't expected this reaction from anybody, not even him. "Um... Uh... My bike. I didn't park it in the roofed garage."

"You left it in the car lot." He breathed out a sigh. His tense shoulders relaxed. "Don't worry. We'll get it out after school."

"Okay..." She walked back into the building. He fell in step beside her. "I didn't know you'd follow."

There was a long pause from him. "I thought something bad had happened with the way you raced out of class." He shoved his hands into the pockets of his denim trousers. "Were you ever into sports?"

She pursed her lips and shook her head. "I've always been the fat kid who couldn't make it in PE."

His eyes assessed her slowly. "But you could be good in a sport or two. Have you ever tried? Running?"

She looked at him. "Maybe. I only run well when adrenaline drives me to. Other times, I'm like a pregnant duck waddling on the ground."

"Hmm..." He held her gaze for a moment longer, then broke the stare first when she wouldn't look away. "What sports did you pick for PE?"

"I haven't made up my mind yet." She clutched the straps of her shoulder bag with one hand, and clenched her other fist at her side.

"Since our school is special and we have fewer students than in a usual American high school, everyone gets to be in two or more sports."

"When do we have gym classes?"

"On Wednesdays, mostly." He opened the door leading to the section of classrooms for elective classes. She went through first, he followed behind. "It starts this week. Last week was just an intro to the semester and academic year. So, no gym class then."

Great. She wondered if her gym classes here in Einstein High would be a repeat of what she'd faced in Avalon High and middle school. Elementary school had been the worst. Then, she'd looked like a tomato—that was what her classmates described her as.

She'd been bullied, ostracised and ridiculed. Until Allen showed up. Then, she'd never wanted to talk to anyone. Always sitting alone at her lunch table. He'd insisted on eating with her. Of course, they'd fought for a while. It had taken only a week for him to win her heart. From then on, they became inseparable friends.

After he'd moved out of town in fifth grade, she'd begun taking martial arts classes that he had advised her to take. The training had required her losing a number of pounds, which she had done. Gone was the fat girl; the world welcomed a fit karate child prodigy.

Unfortunately, her father's death two years later had brought everything to a gradual end. She went for training classes less frequently. Ate more junk foods to make herself happy. Gained extra pounds in the process.

Middle school started to become unbearable from then on. There were those who knew of her dad's death, yet mocked her for her body size.

Things had escalated when she found herself developing curves rapidly. Even Phyllis hadn't been as curvy as she was at her age. Her breasts became fuller, her hips widened. She grew taller. Nature threw her into the world of carrying a maturing female body.

At first, she'd become very self-conscious. Hiding in big clothes, shying away from crowds, avoiding contact with boys. Until her mom had made a comment. One comment that snapped Jess out of her hermit stage. By then, her few friends and other classmates had begun to see her as a recluse.

So, she'd changed her wardrobe. Become more extroverted. Talked more. Gone to parties. Hung out with a couple of guys.

In the end, she became wilder. Yet, she was very reserved and maintained her distance. Her same mother who'd caused the spark that ignited her carefree nature, started showing displeasure at her attitude. Well, too bad, Jess no longer gave a fuck. That shy, close-mouthed girl had been thirteen and stupid.

Archaeology class was quite good, contrary to popular belief. Jess found herself relaxed and intrigued. The teacher was a Greek man in his late twenties. While other female students found him hot and good enough to stare at for fifty minutes, she saw him as intelligent and interesting.

His class was never boring, continuously interactive. They were going on their first field trip soon. That news had Jess excited. Finally, she'd get to leave the confines of Miami and her suffocating home.

From what she'd learnt, Einstein Scholars went on field trips frequently, both within and outside mainland USA. They also had this thing every semester called Expedition for all the grades. Now, she understood why many strived to get admission here in spite of the pocket-sucking fees.

"This class is one of the best so far," Karen said excitedly beside her, as they walked out of the classroom.

"It's my first class and I'm starting to enjoy it."

"Besides Mr Melas being hot," she sighed, "most of the course material involves outdoor activity."

"This is so cool. I think I'm gonna do archaeology till I graduate high school."

They both laughed.

A few of the students around them stopped and stared. Their laughter died. Jess pressed her lips tight. Her friend gave her a funny look.

"Now that I think about it, you hardly laugh."

"I laugh," Jess grumbled.

"I don't think so. Your first day here, many students tagged you as a bitch." She waved to Amanda and Craig who glanced their way.

"Which I still am." Jess stared pointedly at Amanda. The girl stared back. She felt a flutter of relief in her chest—no more weird eyes.

"I'm sure your reputation will change when you start smiling more and being comfortable with people around you."

They opened their lockers and put their notebooks inside. "Doubt that. People are either scary, stupid or dangerous. It's always one of them." She glanced back and saw two boys who'd seen her laugh, staring at her with open interest. She fixed them a hot glare. They looked away immediately.

Karen chuckled beside her. "Let's go. I hope the rain has let down a bit."

They walked into the foyer where a lot of students were clustered about. The pitch of chatter was so much.

Jess looked around. "Again, how many students did you say are in this school?"

"Approximately a hundred and fifty. If you exclude Vicky." She said out that last part in a rush.

She pretended not to hear that. "It looks like five hundred in here." The noises ranged from whispers to loud laughter.

"Well, this is a fraction compared to public schools."

Jess raised a brow. "Huh?"

"Yup. I went to a public school for most of middle school. We were in Mobile back then."

"Oh. How is it like there?"

Before Karen could reply, someone came striding towards them. "Hello, ladies."

Jess groaned; Karen huffed and rolled her eyes.

"This rain's a killjoy. How was archaeology class?" John stopped in front of them, flashing his white dentition in a grin.

"Quite good. Better than I was told." Jess folded her arms.

"Really?" He frowned, surprised and confused by her response. "It was a drag for me. I regretted picking it last semester." He glanced at their faces. "Wow. I'm surprised that you enjoy it. Well, that clearly shows the differences in human personalities."

"What history elective do you do this time?" Karen tossed her blonde hair to the side.

He slid his hands into his pockets. "Uh... modern US history."

Jess watched him closely. The look in his eyes as he stared at Karen was dreamy. His Adam's apple bobbed up and down in his throat. He subtly shifted from one foot to the other.

"Anyway, I gotta go see if Trevor has got some umbrellas to spare." He walked away briskly, but not before casting one last glance at Karen.

Jess wondered if she should tell her friend that the British boy was having a crush on her. Nah, let her figure it out herself.

They were stepping further into the crowd when Doudall approached them this time.

"You girls move with the speed of a rat on fire."

They both gave him weird looks. "That was quite a description, Doudall," Jess commented.

He shrugged. "Looks like Trevor and his team won't be out here as soon as possible." He scanned the heads in the foyer.

"Who the heck is Trevor?" the new girl wondered.

"He's in charge of security and other miscellenous duties. Including giving umbrellas on rainy days." He zipped up the front of his leather hoodie.

"I've got no patience. I'm gonna make a run for Craig's car and get my umbrella out." The car keys jingled in his hand. A smug smile lifted the corners of his lips. "The advantage of checking the weather forecast and preparing ahead." Then, he meandered through the bodies of teenagers and dashed out under the weeping sky.

He returned a minute later. "Ready?"

The girls glanced at each other, looked at him and nodded. They wrapped their hands around each of his arms, flanking his sides, sticking to his body. The big umbrella was open overhead, shielding them from the downpour.

They stopped at Karen's car first. She got into the driver's side, waved them goodbye and drove off.

"Oh great," Jess sighed when they reached her bike. It was the only bike in the car parking lot.

"I'll call Trevor to send a guard for your bike. Do you have your keys?" He took them from her when she produced them from her shoulder bag. Then, he dialled a number.

"Four digits?" She raised a questioning brow after he'd made the call.

"Yeah. There are emergency numbers for the different departments in the school. Like if you want lunch and you're too lazy to get it yourself, call the canteen." He shrugged, a small smile on his face. "Not bad."

"Not bad at all." She definitely liked this school more and more. Even Avalon High wasn't this efficient, and it was also a private school.

"I thought you were on detention." The look in his dark eyes was reprimanding.

"Oh, please." She waved it off. "With this bad weather, I'm not spending another hour here."

"Because Mr Heels told you to stay behind." Direct and correct.

She looked into his eyes. "Sometimes, you make me ask too many questions, Doudall."

"So do you." He held her stare for a very long time.

Jess refused to back down. Even though her heart was racing in her chest. And her breathing was shallow. One part of her brain buzzed with calm ripples. Tingles ran along the exposed skin of her arms.

"Where's the bike, Mr Ton?"

She released a deep breath when Doudall broke eye contact.

"There." He pointed at Jess' Ecosse Titanium.

She rolled her eyes. It was obviously the only bike here. He had to have seen it without asking questions.

The man wiped the leather seat with a cloth and examined it with his eyes. "Well, we'll check to see if it's good." He took the keys from Doudall and turned on the ignition. "Quite good."

"Are you sure the rain hasn't affected it?" Jess asked, tugging on her bag anxiously. The temperature had dropped, and her cotton bell bottoms weren't wading off the cold effectively.

"I'll need about half an hour to make sure." He gave her a sceptical look.

She looked up at Doudall. "Does Craig mind if an extra butt tags along?"

He smiled at her reference. "I don't think he will."

She nodded to the guard. He climbed on the bike and drove off to somewhere behind the classroom building.

"To the car, then."

Jess' brows shot upwards when they reached it. Craig stood beside the driver's door, wrapped in a trench coat and holding a big umbrella over his head. It looked like he had also prepared for this weather.

"Hey, Dou. We gotta get going before the rain gets worse."

"Sure. Do you mind if we drop Jess off? Her bike's not available to take her home."

He paused, looked at her, sized her up and down quickly. "Okay."

Jess bristled a little at the underlying tone in his voice. "I live in Greyson Estate."

"The one near Fallow Falls?"

"Yup."

"Okay. I think we'll pass through that route." He nodded to the back door.

She stood there, staring back at him. He then understood that she expected him to open the door for her. Doudall ran to the other side, leaving the umbrella with her, and went inside the car.

The stare-down continued until Craig conceded to open the door. She flashed him a brief smug smile before getting inside and shutting the umbrella.

The ride was a silent one. Doudall stared out his window. Jess frequently cast glances at him. When she wasn't doing that, she was checking her phone.

When the silence stretched on for nearly five minutes, she took out her Bluetooth headset and put on some music on her phone.

At the estate gate, the security guard in the checkpoint house gave Craig a card and let him through. Finally, they drove into the Snowdens' property.

Jess heard the boy in front let out a long whistle. "I've seen many rich kids' houses, but yours, Jess..." He shook his head. "This is huge."

She snorted. "Stop talking like Trump."

He laughed. "You mean the 'huge' part, right?"

"Yeah, that part."

An unfamiliar man directed them into the open guests' garage. Jess got out and invited them inside for a snack, but they declined. She remembered what Doudall had said about his mom's strict rule for him to be home early. She thanked them and watched the Aston Martin drive away.

Then, she faced the stranger. "What are you?"

"I'm the new butler, Miss Snowden," he replied in a prim Dutch accent. He wore a white shirt over black dress slacks. His dark hair was brushed back from his face. His nose seemed to be a receiver of many beatings, due to its crooked state. Sharp, blue eyes stared back at her with pride and respect.

Jess sighed to herself. More blue eyes to look at. "What's your name?"

"Damian Aalders, Miss Snowden."

She waved him off. "Cut the crap with the 'Miss Snowden'. Call me Jessica."

"Yes, Miss— I mean, Jessica." He opened the adjoining door that led to the foyer, and ushered her in with a sweep of an arm.

She rolled her eyes and went inside.

Throughout the rest of the day, Jess noticed the angry looks and scoffs sent her way. She realised it had to do with the Saturday dinner incident. Phyllis' mood towards her was the worst. She couldn't blame her, though. After all, she'd received the brunt of Jess' barbs.

After dinner that day, she went to check on Cody. He might be Mike's son but he was a special kid. She could see that.

"What?" He fell back on his bed, in pyjamas bottoms and a Batman vest.

She sat beside him, on the edge of the bed. "Why aren't you happy about Mike's new work contract? You didn't sound excited when he mentioned it."

He scrunched up his nose. "I don't like it."

She twirled a lock of her hair around a finger. "It's a federal project worth so much. Many construction companies would strive to win it."

"That's the thing. Many strived for it, but he was one of the selected few."

"Well, isn't that how life is? A lot of people dream of achieving something, but only a very small number succeed in getting it."

He stared silently, unblinking, at the ceiling for a short time. His chest moved up and down in a deep breath. "Those who succeed tend to suffer great opposition. From every side."

She breathed out a small sigh. "But it's those oppositions that make us stronger, Cody. If you want to be a great person, you must fight a great fight."

He lapsed into another moment of silence. "I never wanted him to go away. That was how my mom left."

She frowned slightly. "You never talk about your mom."

"You've never asked." He looked pointedly at her.

"I never saw any reason to," she said defensively. She thought briefly and asked, "Did she leave you guys?"

Instead of replying, he sat up and arranged his pillows.

"Cody?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"You will talk." Her tone took on an authoritative edge.

His shoulders slumped, he sighed in defeat. "She died."

"So, you think your father will, too, if he goes on that project." She nodded in understanding. He picked at the material of his vest. "What if I tell you that he won't?"

"You hate my dad. Why would you wish him well?"

She pursed her lips in thought and looked away. "Maybe, because he married my mom."

"And you don't like your mom," he added.

"No. She doesn't like me. Although, the feeling is almost mutual." She waved the topic aside. "Let's not talk about me and my mother's unhealthy relationship. As I was saying, Mike will make it alive. He'll travel to Haverhill and come home safely."

Cody's brows creased. "How do you know it's in Haverhill? Even I don't know it's there."

She shrugged. "Instincts." Seeing that she'd stayed too long, she got to her feet and stretched. "Go to sleep, Cody."

"Goodnight, Jess," he called to her when she reached the door.

"Goodnight," she murmured back.

In her room, Jess realised that she'd just had her third long conversation with Cody Snowden.

The next morning, Mike dropped Jess off at school. Before heading to class, she went to the workshop to pick up her bike. Seeing it dry and in good condition gave her sweet relief. She thanked the guard, took her keys and parked the bike in the roofed garage.

The noise in the homeroom class caught her off-guard. Usually, everyone was bending over a book. If they weren't reading, they were playing games on their phones.

This time, things were different. Not expected.

All eyes fell on her immediately. The loud voices reduced to whispers.

Mr Pedro Esquivel, the teacher in charge, eyed her for a long time.

"Miss Snowden, take your seat."

She walked to an empty chair at the back and sat down. She turned to the person on her right to ask why everyone was acting weird. Instead, her question died in her throat when she saw the person staring back at her. Coldly.

Blue eyes.

She turned to the other side. "Bryon, what's going on?"

He shifted uncomfortably in his chair, avoided her face. "Uh... the test results are out. I mean... all the tests' results."

"Okay...." She arched one brow, urging him to go on.

"You might want to see them for yourself."

The girl sitting in front of her twisted around and flashed a wide grin. "Actually, you topped in all the tests. I think you might be Eric's new competition."

Jess had mixed feelings about the news—excitement and dread. When she looked at the boy on her right again, the dread superseded the excitement.

Cody was right. Being successful put you on trouble's hot list.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.8K 875 44
𝑭𝒐𝒓 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒕𝒍𝒆 𝒃𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒔𝒍𝒖𝒕𝒔 𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒐'𝒅 𝒈𝒐 𝒇𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒍 𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒎𝒆𝒏 𝒐𝒏 𝒎𝒐𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒄𝒚𝒄𝒍�...
2.8K 448 27
Ariella's biggest desire in life has always been such a simple one. She wants to be 'normal.' Unfortunately, that one simple wish has never been with...
4.1K 424 34
Annie doesn't know it, but magic surrounds her life and follows her every move. Between her recurring dreams, the strange evidence she keeps in a box...
607K 23.5K 185
(Highest Rank #1 Adventure 29th November 2015 & #17 Paranormal 31st May 2016 & #46 Fantasy 19th June 2016) This is a dystopian fut...