The Messenger

由 enigma__

[SLOWLY EDITING. DO NOT READ!!] After laying low for a year, Liam Bauer thinks it's about time to come back... 更多

The Messenger
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Author's Note

Chapter Nine

93 3 0
由 enigma__

This chapter is dedicated to CarsonFaircloth, for the amazing cover :)

Chapter Nine

I guzzled down the remainder of my Bud Light and tossed it in the backseat where the other beer cans littered the floor. With all the stress I had to undergo this week I think I deserved to have a few drinks and prey upon my next victim. Blame it on the beer or my guilty conscience, but I had an enticing urge to take my anger and deep frustrations on something, someone, now. I couldn't wait for Caroline to help me plan all of this out, which usually takes a week tops. We find out her daily routine and find the right time to lure our victim to her death. No what I needed is to take my racing mind off this subject for now; I need to hurt something, kill someone right now.

So, that is why I am up at the wee hours of the morning attempting to silence the garrulous voices in my head. They scream at me for being so foolish, so gullible. The beer helps to silence them momentarily, drowning them away to an unknown abyss. It is also the reason why I have been riding around in my truck for the past two and a half hours, searching for a prostitute or a random civilian woman to release my frustrations on. I mean, I have seen quite a few scandalous women wandering the streets aimlessly, but they can not subside my growing angst.

 Only a riveting red-haired, green eyed wench can fulfill my hunger. But, I've yet to come across a single one. I think I will finally absolutely lose it if I can not find one of these devils. My anger is damn near bubbling, over it's limit and that is, and will not pretty sight. I have never wholly lost control of my temper, yet. But I can guarantee whomever is around me at the time being, they will have to pay the price.

I once again slowly turn the corner, I bite my lip furiously in vexation. I think I may have wandered in the poverty-stricken side of town. The buildings are more raggedy and fewer people seem to occupy them. Stray dogs wander the streets looking for their next meal. From the looks of it, most of them haven't eaten in weeks maybe months. Their rib cages are pretty much all the way visible. Homeless men and women clutter the vacant streets, with just the clothes on their backs and frail blanket to sleep with. I drag a hand down my face and shake my head, I need to focus on finding this woman. 

Just as I was about to give up and return home, I drove down a long empty street full of them. Women of all colors, shapes, and sizes were scattered about. The purring of my engine caused their heads to turn in my directions. I could practically see the money signs popping into their eyes, since my Hummer is one of the newest editions they must figure I make quite amount of money. To a prostitute, she has hit the jackpot. I slowly pulled my car to a stop, parking it across the street and scanned the crowd. There has to be at least one redhead amongst all these whores. The bravest one left the women she was speaking with a sauntered over to my car.

"Hey daddy," she purred, while leaning in my truck window. She smelled as if she had bathed in cheap perfume, I nearly gagged at the scent. "Looking for a good time?" The prostitute smiled showcasing her imperfect smile, they teeth were child-like. In desperate need of some dental work. Her face is smothered in entirely to much makeup, she looks so fake, yet, at the same time, exactly what society envisions beauty as. Any other time I would have taken this blonde haired woman up on her offer, but today I was on a mission and it didn't involve her.

"Yes, but not from you," I slurred, locking gazes with her. The prostitutes face displayed shock but she quickly masked it with a scowl, I guess someone isn't used to rejection.

"Well why the hell not? You must be gay or something then." she stated while placing her hand on her slender hip. If I wasn't already in an no nonsense type of mood I would've chuckled at her childish behavior. I made sure she noticed my eyes slowly travel down the length of her body.

"I can assure you that I am not gay you are just simply not my type. Now, dismiss yourself from my presence, I have to find someone that is." Her face reddened from anger and embarrassment.

"Whatever, dick," she huffed before stomping away. I watched as she crossed the street and began adamantly speaking with her friends about my refusal to her offer of sex. I merely chuckled and shook my head, women can be so immature at times. I didn't want you, get over it. My eyes flickered across the many faces waiting for my approval, but my eyes lingered on this particular one. She shyly stared at me from her position away from the crowd.

 I could tell her hair was artificially dyed red but her jade colored eyes that popped out of her head were all hers, that much I could tell. She looked to be only twenty-two or twenty-three, yet she is out doing this... why? I stare at her until she finally turns her back to me. She holds my gaze steadily, with a questioningly look in her eyes. I nod at her indicating that I wanted her to come her. The girl glanced to both sides of herself, seeing if I am referring to her. She then realizes that I am talking about her, she points to herself silently asking if I am choosing her before cautiously walking towards my vehicle. As the prostitute was doing so I could hear the other females scoff and suck their teeth. Before speeding away I sent the one who confidently came to my car a menacing glare. She fidgeted in the passenger nervously, I could tell she was apprehensive about her decision of getting in the car with me.

"W-Where are we going?" she questions so quietly that if I wasn't already expecting her to speak I wouldn't have heard it. I glance over to her, she was studying my appearance. She quickly looked away with her cheeks flaming when she saw I caught her staring. I slowly smirked and turned back to the road.

"Somewhere," I answer vaguely. "What is your name?"

"C-Cassandra," she said sounding over rehearsed. Her failure to sound seductive slightly amused me as well as intrigued. Why was a girl so young trying to be something she is not. I raised an eyebrow questioningly at her, watching her slightly red face. This must be her first time, I thought. 

"I meant you're real name, not what those women call you. What is your real name?" She hesitated debating if she should tell me the truth or not.

"Cassie." She sighed "It's just Cassie." She tightly clasped her hands together in her lap and studied her candy apple red heels, which looked like they were a size to big. This outfit doesn't seem to fit her demeanor at all. She appears to be the quiet, timid type that doesn't cause trouble. So why the gimmick?

"Tell me something Cassie, correct me if I am wrong, but you don't look as though you would be in this line of "work'. Why are you selling your body for money? Why aren't you working a regular nine-to-five like a normal citizen. More importantly what does your mother or father think of you? If my daughter were out screwing men for money," I chuckled darkly, while shrugging. "Well let's just say she would have hell to pay." I'm guessing from her body being tensed up I have struck a nerve. She whirled to face me with a scowl upon her beautiful face.

"Shut up, do not speak of my parents. You know nothing of what you're talking about."

"Oh, no? Why don't you enlighten me then?" She blew out an aggravated breath and turned to face the window.

"You wouldn't understand. I'm doing this because... I need the money."

"Isn't that why they all do it? They all need money for one reason or another. I assume you wouldn't just want to give your body up for money if you had anyway of preventing it."

"This is the only way I can pay for college." She quietly started sobbing. "My parent won't help me." I sighed through my nose and whipped my truck into a vacant parking lot. I tightly gripped the steering wheel, staring out the window. I hated it when parents act inadequate.

"Why isn't your parents paying for it?" Cassie rolled her eyes, while furiously wiping at her tear stained face.

"They are trying to teach me some sort lesson. They see me as a spoiled brat that needs to learn how to do stuff on her own and not depend on their parents for everything. I mean come on, they are sitting on all that money not doing a damn thing with it while I am struggling to survive, My parents have been taking care of me my whole life, buying me whatever I asked for. Now, I can barely get a dime out of those people. Can you believe that? They expect me to actually get a job a work for money." I stared at her in complete angry. Here I was beginning to feel an ounce of sympathy for this bitch and it turns out she is just like them.

"You are ungrateful. Cassie, do you know how many people that wasn't privileged enough to live with the luxuries you grew up with?" I said through clenched teeth. She crossed her arms, shrugging.

"I don't know. But why does it matter, you grew up with nice thing too, right?" she snapped. Her stupidity is irking the little patience I have left. She's assuming that since I am driving an expensive car now, I was brought up they way she was.

"No. Unlike you I didn't have these privileges growing up. I worked hard to get where I am at now." Cassie simply rolled her eyes and studied her perfectly manicured nails.

"Well blame your parents for that, not me." Before she could utter another word, my fist smashed into her face, sending her head fly back connecting with the window. She barely had time to react before my hand was tightly clasped around her throat. Her face changed from deep red to a bluish color as she clawed at my hand trying to pry it from her neck. I let go just before she passed out, Cassie coughed violently, holding her throat as she tried to catch her breath. I reached in my pocket pulling  out a syringe and plunged it into her neck. 

The chemical worked instantaneously in a matter of minutes, shutting her body down, paralyzing her.  She muttered a few incoherent words before her body became limp. Even though her body wasn't responding to her, she was still very much alive and alert. She watched fearfully me with her eyes as wide as saucers. I hopped out the car, leaving the engine still running, and grabbed an iron pipe I keep in the back seat. I briskly walked over to her side and yanked her powerless body out, tossing her over my shoulder. When were a few feet away from my truck I threw her body on the hard wet gravel, she groaned in pain.

"You are an ungrateful bitch that deserves to die. I will be doing your parents a favor by getting rid of you." I shake my head disappointingly. "I can't believe I thought for a second that you could be different." 

"If you kill me... you'll be a murderer... a criminal," she painfully muttered.

"No, sweetheart, I am not. A criminal is someone who gets caught, which I can assure you will not happen." I swung the pipe behind my head and smashed it against her stomach. Her eyes widened a few centimeters as I continued to hit her with the blunt object. The sound of her bones crunching and breaking filled my ears. I took a step back, looking at her mangled body. Her legs were twisted at an awkward position that I know for a a fact that had to be broken. Her right are began to swell up and turn different hues of purple and blue. Crouching down to her eye level, I stroked her face lovingly. She had died awhile before I hit her with the pipe, yet I still beat her as if she were still alive. Why? Well I don't exactly know the reason behind my actions. I just know that I was undeniably angry. Anger plus a whole case of beer isn't the two best things that should mix.

"I'm doing this world a favor," I whispered before grabbing a rock from the ground and engraving the word 'WENCH' into her forehead. Her big jade colored eyes stared back at me lifeless. Another lost cause gone from this earth.

My ears perked up at the sound of shoes crunching against the gravel. I craned my neck to the left to figure out who the culprit was. "Anyone out here?" someone called, drawing me away from admiring my beautiful work. "If you are a bunch of teenagers, I suggest you leave before I call the police." I quickly stand while picking up the bloodied pipe, stumbling to my car. I pause thinking about Cassie's body, I can not just leave her body there for the person to find.

"Hey, you! Stop!  What were you doing here?" I turn to see an over weight security guard waddling towards me, pointing his flash light at me. Forgetting about Cassie, I put my car in reverse and peel out of the parking lot. I nervously glance in the rear view mirror momentarily to see the security guard has now Cassie's body. He dropped his flashlight by her head, stumbling backwards. Fuck.

What were you thinking Liam? 

What the hell was I thinking about? I shouldn't have ever thought I could do this without Linny. I'm not good at organizing and planning these kills, she is. This her cup of tea.

Stupid, stupid boy.

I weaved in and out of traffic as I rushed home. What have I done, what have I done, what the hell have I done? How could I be so foolish, I thought? It is pretty dark out so I am pretty sure the guard didn't get a good look at my face or my licence plate. But I couldn't help but feel anxious. What if I have finally slipped up and I am arrested? Then I couldn't help Caroline with these murders, I wouldn't be able to continue our plan, I wouldn't be able to see Rachel again. I nearly swerved off the road at that thought. If I get caught I wouldn't be able to see Rachel's sweet face ever again. Caroline and Rachel would look down upon me and probably never want to seem again.

Of course they wouldn't, you are a failure Liam. A disgrace.

I tripped getting out my car in a hurry, I looked down at my white shirt that was now stained with blood. Cassie's blood covered my hands to my khaki pants. It was splattered all over my shoes, the sight of me right now is quite sickening. I pull myself up from the muddy ground and stagger to the doorway. Once inside I lean my head against the wall and began to hit my head with my fists repeatedly. This is all bad.

"Liam... what the hell did you do?" I froze and dropped my hands away from my face. Caroline stood before me in her pajamas. I knew of course that I looked a dirty mess.

"It-I went searching for our next victim," I answer nervously. She watched me from the living room doorway, not making any effort to come near me.

"Victim?" I gulp and slowly nod. "Why are you covered in blood. We always make sure to not get any of their blood on us."

"I know... I know. This one... it got out of hand," I stuttered.

"Out of hand? That's what you used to describe this fucking mess?" she screamed. I opened my mouth to argue but decided against it. "Why didn't you pick up the phone and call me?"

"I-I wanted to do this one... on my own." She scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"On your own, wow. So, what? You don't need me anymore since your doing things on your own?" I blinked at her question. How could she think that, we are in this together. Always has been and always will.

"Linny... you know I need you. I wouldn't have made it this far without you. You know that don't you?" She shrugged and turned her back to me.

"I don't know, Liam. It seems like ever since you killed Annabelle on your own, you've been distant. It's like you forgot that we are a team." I slowly trudged toward her, I put my hands on both of her shoulders and spun her to face me. Only she didn't look at me, the splattered blood stains on my shirt  seemed to fascinate her more. I gripped hold of her chin and lightly pushed it up so that she was facing me. It shocked me to see that tears threatened to pool from eyes. The mere sight of it was foreign, Caroline doesn't cry. It's just not her.

"Don't cry Linny," I whispered then sighed. "I am sorry that  made you feel as if i didn't need you anymore, because that is not true. I'll always need you and we will always be a team. You and me against the world. Even when we are in our late nineties getting ready to croak over and die, we're still a team." A smile tugged at her lips lightly, causing me to smile also.

"I know, I just wanted to make sure you remembered that." She wrapped her arms around me squeezing tight. I smirked slightly as I rested my chin on the top of her head.

"How could I forget? You've been repeating that same line since we were six." Caroline chuckled and withdrew from my hold.

"I had to embed it into your memory somehow." She paused and studied my attire. "Those will have to go." She quickly hurried off into the other room. By the time she returned I had already undressed myself. She handed my face cloth, a towel, and clean clothes. "Here, go take a shower, while I take car of these."

"What are you going to do with them?" I raised a brow questioningly.

"Burn them. There is no way this blood will come out of any of this. Unless, of course, you want to keep them as a souvenir?" She waggled her eyebrow at me causing me to laugh and shake my head.

"No, knock yourself out."

"Okay, well goodnight Liam."

"Sweet dream Caroline." I smiled, ascending the stairs to our bathroom. I can always count on Linny, she help me fix this problem. I just know she will.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

18.5M 2.1K 7
***Please note that this book has been taken down because it's been published, and you can see only the sample chapters of the published version. Yo...
554K 19.1K 52
{Completed} Book #1 He finally answered the phone after the third ring. " You wanted to destroy me right ? Don't worry i'll do it for you, i wont di...
7.7K 218 34
Matilda Huston is a 25 years old woman with a painful past, living alone and escaping from her abusive past. She moved to Canada a few months back an...
387 45 12
When Kate lost her father in a fire, she couldn't get her self to be in his shoes. She turned down her dad's job even though she was the best to be c...