The Princess and The Devil...

By sophieralph

Blackmails, threats and contracts from the prince (Gakushuu Asano) are the thing that's getting in the way of... More

O N E : HIME SAKURAGI
T W O : UNPLEASANT PEOPLE
T H R E E : INFIRMARY
F O U R : NOTE
F I V E : THE ASSEMBLY
S I X : MEETING THE 5 VIRTUOSOS
S E V E N : HERE
VALENTINE'S DAY SPECIAL
E I G H T : PICKING THE LITTLE BROTHER UP
N I N E : KARMA'S VISIT
T E N : THROWN
E L E V E N : DESPAIR
T W E L V E : THE HONOUR STUDENT
T H I R T E E N : KARMA AKABANE AND HIME SAKURAGI
F O U R T E E N : FLASHBACK TIME II
F I F T E E N : FLASHBACK TIME III
S I X T E E N : KARMA AKABANE
S E V E N T E E N : COME BACK
E I G H T E E N : TALK
N I N E T E E N : TRUST
T W E N T Y : FEELINGS
T W E N T Y - O N E : UNEASY
T W E N T Y - T W O : MUDPRINTS
T W E N T Y - T H R E E : RESCUE MISSION
T W E N T Y - F O U R : GAKUSHUU'S TIME
T W E N T Y - F I V E : THE AWAKENING
T W E N T Y - S I X : THE VISIT
T W E N T Y - S E V E N : RED SPIDER LILIES
T W E N T Y - E I G H T : INEVITABLE TRUTH
T W E N T Y - N I N E : TIME'S UP
T H I R T Y : BROKEN WORLDS & BROKEN HEARTS
T H I R T Y - T W O : LUNCH I
T H I R T Y - T H R E E : LUNCH II
T H I R T Y - F O U R : Exams?!
T H I R T Y - F I V E : GOODBYE JAPAN
T H I R T Y - S I X : ARRIVAL
T H I R T Y - S E V E N : HIS THOUGHTS
T H I R T Y - E I G H T : TOO LATE?
T H I R T Y - N I N E : TRYING
F O R T Y : THE LADY IN WAITING
F O R T Y - O N E : JUDO & GARDENS
F O R T Y - T W O : BOTANICAL CLUB
F O R T Y - T H R E E : TREASON
F O R T Y - F O UR : HOME
F O R T Y - F I V E :
F O R T Y - S I X : CROWNED PRINCESS'S RETURN
F O R T Y - S E V E N : SHIRAGIKU'S SHRINE
F O R T Y - E I G H T : Not hers?
FORTY - NINE : ALONE
F I F T Y : SEA OF RED ROSES
F I F T Y - O N E : THE MEETING
F I F T Y - T W O : THE COMMENCE OF OPERATION WARDAH
F I F T Y - T H R E E
F I F T Y - F O U R : THE NEWS
F I F T Y - F I V E : With or Against?
F I F T Y - S I X : THE BULLET
F I F T Y - S E V E N : THE RESCUE MISSION
F I F T Y - E I G H T : SAVED
F I F T Y - N I N E : GAKUSHUU AND HIME
S I X T Y - A BOUQUET OF FLOWERS
S I X T Y - O N E : UNRAVELLED TRUTH
S I X T Y - T W O : LET'S GO!
S I X T Y - T H R E E : CLASS 3E TIME
S I X T Y - F O U R : THE PLAN
S I X T Y - F I V E : THE DEVIL
S I X T Y - S I X : THE KNIGHT
S I X T Y - S E V E N : THE QUEEN
S I X T Y - E I G H T : AFTERMATH
S I X T Y - N I N E : THE PRINCESS
S E V E N T Y : LEAVING
S E V E N T Y - O N E: HIME'S TIME
S E V E N T Y - T W O : 7 YEARS
AFTER STORY: PART 1
AFTER STORY: PART 2

T H I R T Y - O N E : WHITE CHRYSANTHEMUMS

1.4K 38 9
By sophieralph

Normal's POV

The silence is so thick and smothering that Ichiro decides to break the silence. "Haru, Hi- no. Higanbana, I hope you already know Milo Kamakura, the only other member of the Silver Sakura." Ichiro said and on cue, Kamakura looks at both siblings via the rear-view mirror. He is hoping that both siblings would offer him a kind smile but to his dismay, he's not that lucky. "And meet Akihiko Smith." From the corner of Ichiro's eyes, he sees how both Hime and Haru arent paying him a single ounce of attention as they are more absorbed in the scenery outside the car. He sighs but he couldn't give up now. "Just so you guys know, he is half American and he is the top guard in the palace." Ichiro said with hopes that one of them engages in a conversation with him. Hime averts her glance for a split second to look at the blonde guard in the passenger seat through the side mirror. Akihiko offers her a smile and she won't admit it to anyone but when he does, shivers run down her spine. She looks away from the side mirror and stares blankly at the outside world.

With a sigh, Haru turns to face his uncle. "Why would the palace needs to types of guards? Ojichan is the captain for the Silver Sakura or whatever right? Why need another captain?"

"Good question, Haru-kun! Ojichan is so proud of you." Ichiro reaches out to ruffle his hair when Haru avoids his hand with a frown. "Alright, alright. Do you know what's the job of Silver Sakura?" Haru shrugs. "Silver Sakuras exist to merely protect the royal family. That means, my job is to solely protect you, your father, mother and your sister."

"She's not my sister." Hime flinches slightly at the cold and distant tone used by Haru.

"Yes she is. She is every bit your sister as you are her brother." Haru clicks his tongue in annoyance and rolls his eyes. "As I was saying," Ichiro said, ignoring the act of annoyance the little boy displayed. "The White Chrysanthemum, however is the palace guard." Ichiro smiles, trying to win Haru's attention. When he doesn't get any replies, he gave up. He frowns and when his gaze meets Kamakura's through the rear-view mirror, his underling offers him a small sad smile which was replied.

Once they get in the palace's 5km radius, there are white chrysanthemums planted along the way to the palace. Hime found the citizens with their tripod stands and cameras to take a picture with their loved ones in a field of beautiful white chrysanthemums. Some foreigners are there too. As they get nearer to the palace, there are more people around to have a background of the palace. "Beautiful." Hime whispers under her breath. She was hoping no one heard her but alas, her uncle did. He smiles at her.

"It's very beautiful isn't it, the white chrysanthemum?" Hime nods and offers her uncle a smile back. "It's the royal family's flower." Ichiro chuckles. "Of course the both of you already know that. Your father would send white chrysanthemums all the time along with a letter. And of course, all letters are waxed and stamped in the shape of the chrysanthemums."

"Why arent there red roses?" Haru asks. After all, whenever Akahana sends the two siblings a letter along with a parcel full of clothes, red roses will always come alongside white chrysanthemums. So why isn't the same principle applied to the field of white chrysanthemums? Why is the white chrysanthemum so special? His mother's name is literally red flower. Why aren't there any red flowers in the field of white, pure chrysanthemums? Haru turns around at the lack of response. He sees his curious sister turns around to look at Ichiro as well.

Ichiro sends the two siblings a small smile. "That's a story for another time. As for now, welcome home, Crown Princess Higanbana-sama and Crown Prince Haru-sama." Ichiro smiles at them both as they begin to approach a huge gate with delicate gold carvings on black metal that acts as a separating medium to the outside world. Hime looks around and realises that there is a stone bridge that acts as a passage to get them pass a waterway ahead of them. There are 3 huge emerald coloured lamps on both sides of the bridge situated at the beginning of the bridge, the middle and the end of the bridge.

"A moat?" She questions quietly and her uncle chuckles.

"Moat? In what century do you think we're living in?"

"Then what is it?"

"It's just a waterway that comes from the various fountains and ponds in the palace. Ah and also the south west part of the palace since your mother only eats organic vegetables and fruits. So, we need some sort of water supply to water the little farm and orchard your father built for that very reason." Hime nods slowly as she turns her attention out the window. "Also, you don't mean to tell me that you don't realise that this is the famous double arced bridge?"

"This bridge is famous?" She questions and Kamakura chuckles quietly in the front seat. Ichiro slaps the back of his head and he mutters an apology before groaning about how much it hurts. Akihiko snickers quietly at the side and clears his throat before pressing a button on a white ear piece at his right ear.

"Vulture and Falcon is entering the bird cage." Akihiko said to the microphone of his ear piece. From the corner of Hime's eyes, she looks at the blonde man the moment he utters those words.

Birdcage, huh? How ironic. She thought, rolling her eyes. She's aware that they use codenames such as these to keep them both safe but she thought that they could've chosen a better name for them than predator birds.

As soon as the bridge opens, the White Chrysanthemums rush out to block the entrance with various big black guns that Hime immediately recognizes as M249 SAW and M1014 shotgun. When the gate closes, the guards come back inside with their guns in hand. The middle man presses the same device in his ear and spoke something to Akihiko because the moment the guard releases the button, Akihiko replies with a brief and short 'noted'.

"What is 'Vulture' and 'Falcon'?" Haru suddenly questions, breaking the silence. Hime stays quiet as she watches the blurry images of green, tranquil trees as the car speeds off to the main entrance. After a while, images of green changes to a beautiful garden with all sorts of flowers. She sees at least 5 gardeners trimming the bushes of a small maze and keeping everything in shape and pleasant to the eyes. There are at least 3 different types of fountains with different stone sculptured statues.

"Rather than a what, it is more of a 'who'." Ichiro chuckles, ruffling the curious boy's hair. "Vulture is your sister and Falcon is you."

"Why can't they just call us by our names?"

"It's important to keep your identities hidden. It makes it easier for us all to keep you safe."

"And also, Ichiro-jichan didn't tell you that those are real birds. They're predators." Hime mumbles. It didn't seem like Haru heard her since the little boy didn't reply her.

But Hime couldn't care less about her brother's lack of reply. She is too indulged in the little carvings and the little details of the palace to even bring herself to care. She realises the little sculptures of the zodiac animals at every corner at the top of the building. She feels like there are more to them than just sculptures and she has to be sure to ask her uncle about it. Bringing her gaze down, she sees the gold plated window panes and brown oak doors with a gold plated knob.

"Ne, Him- Higanbana-chan, you have been staring outside for a while now. What's on your mind, Higanbana?" Ichiro asks, smiling softly at his niece. The way her pupils dilate at the sight of the tiny details of the palace makes him reminisces her mother. Ne, onee-chan. Your little princess resembles you a lot. Ichiro thought and he could imagine his sister smiling back at him with a peace sign with a repartee that is more towards bragging than thanking.

"I like how the palace has a touch of Japanese tradition and the Versailles essence. The little details of the palace are breathtaking." She admits, not once turning around to her uncle. Ichiro grins at his niece.

"You are your mother's daughter, arent you?" He ruffles Hime's hair as he chuckles. Hime swats his hand away with a frown. She grumbles as she tries to fix her hair but to no avail. She ended up tying her hair with the black ribbon.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hime's frown deepens.

"Nothing." Ichiro smiles as he presses his forefinger where Hime's eyebrows are meeting.

"Sir, we're here." Kamakura said, unlocking the door and pulls his handbreak before putting the car in the 'P' mode.

Almost immediately, Hime and Haru's door is opened by Akihiko's White Chrysanthemum guards. "Go on." Ichiro said, gently pushing both his niece and nephew. "We're going to see your father." Ichiro said and the minute those words slip out from his mouth, Hime climbs out from the car. She dusts off invincible dusts and stares at the the number of security waiting for her at the small flight of stairs. She turns around to see her little brother being guided by Ichiro and also the beautiful fountain and another huge royal gate. There are civilians outside the gate picnicking under shady and bushy trees that are turning orange.

She turns back around and sees her uncle handing out a hand to her. She stares at it for a few seconds before grabbing it. Ichiro didn't realise how cold Hime's hands are until she grabs his hands. "This is the north gate. We came in through the East. The reason why there are civilians outside is probably because there is a park and a museum of the royal family. There is another park at the south part for the civilians." Ichiro explains. "And where we are now have two divided parts. We are in the Royal Court and if you walk a little further," Ichiro explains as he brings the two siblings far in the 'U' shaped building where the stone styled tiles have changed to marble. "And now we are in the Marble Court. Just like Versailles, see?" Ichiro smiles, twirling Haru in the court. The little boy has been elated the moment he steps out from the car. He has been so excited with the humongous space and the luxurious styled house. He has been saying how he can't wait to invite both Yume and Yusuke Isogai to his new home.

Hime lets go of her uncle's hand and frowns a little when she looks at Haru's euphoric form. Maybe she should've brought Haru here years ago. He would've liked that. Turning around, she sees Kamakura taking her place next to Ichiro and only then she realises that she has been walking around at the marble court. And maybe, Haru isnt the only one who is enjoying the space of their new abode. But he is the only one who is willing to show it for the whole world to see. Behind the two Silver Sakuras is Akihiko with two of guys from his squad.

"Are you ready to meet your father?" Ichiro asks, approaching the elder and younger Sakuragi. She looks at her little brother and frowns when he has a troubled look. She knows that right now isn't the time for them to be fighting with each other. Even if Haru isn't willing to talk to her, Hime knows that her job and her main priority at all times is to protect her little brother. It has always been her main priority from the start and it's not going to change any time soon.

"Yes, I am." Hime said, her voice holding an amount of courage that Ichiro never knew she had in her. Just a minute ago, she was crying and wailing her eyes out like a baby and now she stood tall and proud. Ichiro smiles proudly at his niece and nods as he walks towards a big white door with exaggerated gold carvings. Hime's vision now takes in the beautiful architecture of the chateau. She holds out a hand for her little brother and it took everything in Haru to refuse and walk forward. Hime sighs out of frustration at her little brother's antics.

"Be strong, Sakuragi-sama." Kamakura said, stopping next to her. He flashes her a smile when her blue eyes meets his purple ones.

"I'm trying, Kamakura. Ah and also, please stop calling me Sakuragi-sama. Just call me Hime." She said and Kamakura chuckles.

"Hime as in 'princess' or Hime as in your nick name?" This time, it's Hime's turn to chuckle.

"It can mean whatever you want, Kamakura. If it's troubling you, 'Higanbana' is fine too." Hime smiles as she walks inside the palace with a hint of pride. Kamakura could almost see the crown resting on her head as she trails quietly behind her uncle and brother.

***

Hime, Haru and Ichiro enter the throne room at the second level in the west wing waiting for the emperor patiently. Ichiro has been told that Natsume is incredibly busy the past few weeks and is in a stressed out mode. That is also one of the many reasons why Hime is being summoned home leaving no room for debate. Haru had been impatient while waiting for his father. Haru grumbles about how tired and hungry he is and how his father has no compassion for making him stand in the throne room for so long. Ichiro, on the other hand has been getting calls and messages the minute they enter the throne room. It looks rather severe since he raises his voice once in a while and left the room. And our little princess? She is taking in every detail of the room's décor. She has been drowning in her own little world with delicate and intricate golden designs on the throne chairs, the white walls with emerald panelling, the ceiling and even the hanging golden chandelier above their heads.

After 3 trips out from the room, Ichiro finally enters the room with his brother in law, the emperor, Natsume Sakuragi. Hime's dazed and clouded eyes filled with interest and admiration turns cold the minute the elder Sakuragi enters the chamber. Natsume's black hair is slicked back with gel. Hime takes in her father's complexion. She realises that his hair is greying, his wrinkles are more evident and his steel blue eyes mirrors how fatigued the emperor was. Nevertheless, he makes sure to smile at his daughter and tries to hide the fact that he's tired. He's tired of many things and there are times where he would wish his wife is by his side. But alas, his wife is too busy with Sakuragi Couture to even bring herself to care about the affairs going on in Japan. Natsume cuffs his cuff links as he exchanges a few words with Ichiro. Ichiro gives him a friendly and an encouraging pat in the back before leaving the throne room completely.

"You both have grown so big." Natsume said, walking towards Haru and Hime.

"I'm 14 now. What did you expect?" Hime asks, looking at her father dead in the eye. Natsume sighs. He knew that she will be difficult.

"U-Um!" Haru suddenly exclaims making the two Sakuragis turn their heads in his direction. "I-I.." He stammers as he looks at his sister for help.

"Hello, Haru. I'm not sure if we've met but I'm your dad." Natsume gets down on one knee and smiles at his son. "I'm Natsume Sakuragi and I'm sorry for leaving you alone in your sister's care. But she took good care of you, right?" Natsume asks. Haru's eyes shine with admiration when he sees his father. He has no idea that his father is a handsome man or will he ever think that he will see his father in his life time. He can't wait to play all sorts of things like football with the man. Playing with Karma is fun but Karma isn't his father.

"Are we going to stay here with you?" Haru asks and Natsume nods. "Are we going to stay forever?" Natsume chuckles and ruffles his son's hair. Natsume would have never thought that his son will be so cute and innocent.

"Of course! As long as you want. And of course, your mother will stay here too." Natsume smiles. Haru flashes Natsume the brightest smile Hime has ever seen and it hurt her deeply.

"Don't be so familiar with him." Hime said, looking away. She has her arms crossed over her chest. Natsume frowns and stands on his two feet.

"Hime, that's enough. I don't know how else to apologise to you for making you raise your brother when you're just 14. But that doesn't mean I'm not his father."

"Why? Are you angry?" Hime provokes. "You and I both know that you don't deserve that title. You were never there. All you have been doing and giving us is money. Money can be earned. I can work while taking care of Haru and still manage my studies." Hime argues.

"But I'm here now, aren't I?" Natsume groans. The sudden conversation develops a sudden and throbbing headache. Hime scoffs and look away.

"You're sending me off to study somewhere far, aren't you? I guess saying that 'I'm here' is only something that is apt to Haru." Hime inwardly flinches. She realizes how childish she's acting and how she's not making anything any better for her father.

Natsume lets out a long and troubled sigh as he rubs the back of his neck. He doesn't understand why his daughter is acting like this. She should understand the reason behind his actions. She always has so why isn't she cooperating like she always has?

When she hears her father's sigh, her heart clenches in the worst ways. She has already lost her friends and her little brother. She doesn't want to lose her father. As if I haven't lost him already. Hime thought.

"You broke our agreement, Hime." Natsume said, pinching the bridge of his nose. "You should know the consequences."

"Time is all I want. Why can't you give me a little more? What do you have to lose if you just give me a little bit more time?"

"I don't have time." Natsume growls. He's slowly being exasperated at the way his daughter his acting.

"But I do." Hime looks away from her father.

"What more do you want, Hime? Is it not enough what I have been doing and giving you?!" Natsume raises his voice.

"What have you been doing and giving me?! I never asked for anything you do! All I ever wanted and ask of you is time! The time that I lack to protect what's important to me! And did I get it?! No! So-" Hime is suddenly silenced from her rant when she feels a sting on her left cheek. Her vision has changed from her father to her brother looking at her with teary eyes. Her heartbeats suddenly pick up its pace and her silver hair falls against her cheek. She winces a little when her hair comes in contact with her burning cheek. Her brain interprets what had happened and when it her heart rate falls to a normal pace, she realizes that she was slapped. When Haru's eyes meets his sister's, he immediately averts his gaze desperately trying to hold his tears in. He honestly doesn't like it when his sister is being treated this way. He wants to hug her and tell the unknown that holds the title of his father to give in to his sister's wishes for she has been raising him up without any complaints or reward.

Natsume, on the other hand regretted his actions terribly but he felt the need to discipline his child. His whole form trembles and his headache automatically get worse. When Hime stood frozen for an amount of time, Natsume walks forward to check on his daughter. He will be damned if he caused any damages to his only princess. He was about to wrap his arms around his daughter's shoulder when she slaps his hands away the moment they invades her bubble. Hime didn't turn to look at her father.

"I'm going to be sent away again aren't I?" She said under her breath. She had to control her shaky breath and trembling voice. She wants to appear strong in front of everyone even though it's hurting her deeply. Natsume heard his daughter perfectly well and her sudden question pains his heart. He had already sends the letter of acceptance on his daughter's behalf to her new school. Natsume's lack of response makes Hime crestfallen. "Of course you are. Leaving me is the only thing you're good at." Hime bites her lower lip as she watches her brother trembling. She knows that Haru is afraid. Although he won't come and seek refuge in her, she will always protect her brother in the most quiet and discreet way possible.

Natsume clenches his fist when he hears his daughter's heartbroken confession. He can't even find the words to rebut her. Although hearing those words makes his heart twist and stomach doing somersaults.

"I will accept whatever school you're going to throw me in. Be it locally or abroad, I'll be the best. This is my promise to you." Hime turns around to her father but keeps her gaze low. "If my results are unsatisfactory, I will surrender and you may do whatever you want to me and you will never hear a word of complaint from me. But if I manage, I'm living my life however I want."

"Hime, please." Haru grits his teeth together. He has the confidence that his sister will be the best among the best but there's always the possibility that her new classmates are a bunch of Karma; brilliant and intelligent in every way even without studying as much as anyone does. That being said, he also didn't want to part with his sister. And even if Hime succeeds, will she want to live with him? What if she finishes high school and realizes she doesn't want anything to do with him anymore? The thought makes Haru tear up.

"Rest assured, Haru." Hime smiles as she pat his head. Her heart swells when she realizes that Haru does in fact still care about her. Although his sister doesn't provide any words of comfort, Haru calms down immensely. But she won't make a wager she knows she will lose. "Someone once told me that whether a fish lives in a clear stream or a water ditch, so long as it continues swimming forward, it will grow up beautifully." Hime smiles.

"Who said that?" Natsume questions. He likes the way it sounds. It gives him a sense of motivation to continue his tasks.

"Korosenai-sensei also known as Koro-sensei. My homeroom teacher of class 3-E." Hime answers, as she lets her hand drop by her side. She has finally gathers the courage to look at her father in the eye.

The minute Hime mentions the yellow octopoda, Natsume's eyes turn sharp and cold.

"Don't rely on him too much, Hime. He will only betray your trust." Natsume said as he raises his chin a little. Hime's eyes turn cold and dull when her father lets those words slip his mouth as well. The only thoughts in both Sakuragis minds is

It's a shame he/ she doesn't know what kind of a person Koro-sensei is.

***

Ah thank goodness I have some time off to post this story. It's a little long and boring but bear with me T_T

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 374 60
Shiniko Kuroshira, a girl with a troubled past and a cold outlook on life in the conflicting present. She was taken in by Gakuhou Asano as a child af...
94.2K 3.7K 25
For Karma Akabane fans ❤️ WARNING ⚠️ extremely cringey ⚠️ You are an orphan with strict and abusive parents who adopted you. Asano Gakushu forces you...
34.5K 1.2K 35
Started: February 8, 2021 First Chapter Published: February 15, 2021 Finished: May 1, 2021 Last Chapter Published: April 23, 2021 - This was supposed...
3K 76 13
☆ 𝐤. 𝐚𝐤𝐚𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐞 𝐱 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫 where (name) suffers from abuse, and Karma helps her, causing something to bloom between them. ⚠ 𝕋ℝ𝕀𝔾𝔾𝔼ℝ 𝕎...