Gills

By x_WickedLovely_x

Annie is different. Sometimes, just rarely, it's a good kind of different. But most times, like today, it's a... More

Gills- Prologue
Gills- Chapter One
Gills- Chapter Two
Gills- Chapter Three
Gills- Chapter Four
Gills- Chapter Six
Gills- Chapter Seven
Gills-Chapter Eight
Gills- Chapter Nine
Gills- Chapter Ten
Gills- Chapter Eleven
Gills- Chapter Twelve
Gills- Chapter Thirteen
Gills-Chapter Fourteen
Gills-Chapter Fifteen
Gills- Chapter Sixteen
Gills- Chapter Seventeen
Gills- Epilogue

Gills-Chapter Five

577 17 5
By x_WickedLovely_x

Hi. You are so totally lucky you're getting this, as I feel so icky. The only reason I'm on the computer is because I have some French homework to do. :(

**********************************************

Luke's POV

I jerk away from her.

"What?!"

She looks up at me, pleading. "Luke, listen to me. I wouldn't lie to you, you know I wouldn't. Look, I can prove it."

I look down at her sceptical. "Go on, then."

She takes a deep breath, calming herself. Then she ducks underwater.

I wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Until eventually, around 5 minutes later, she emerges from the water, her hair plastered to her face, not even the slightest bit out of breath.

"Well?" She asks me, expectantly.

"It's a hoax. A trick. You can't breath underwater, that's ridiculous."

She looks at me, and her eyes are sad. "Please, just.... Please."

God. This is hell. "I'll...try, Annie. I do trust you."

She nods, looking relived. "Thank you. That's all I ask for."

I pull her towards me, and she hugs me, hard. After a while we swim back to shore. She leads me round to some rocks, and between which is her bag and a towel. She dries her hands, and offers the towel to me. I roughly dry myself.

Her phone rings. She answers it.

"Hello? Yes, speaking....excuse me? No, you must have made a mistake...yes, but-....today? What time? Yes, okay, I'll be right there."

She looks at me, shell-shocked. "It's my grandma... she's dead."

"Annie! Oh, I'm so sorry." I start to pull her towards me, but she pushes me away.

"No, you don't understand. I... I didn't even know I had a grandma. Well, of course I knew I had one, but I didn't know her. I never met her. And my mother has never, ever talked about her. I just assumed she was already dead."

"Then why did your mother ring you?"

She looks at me, surprised. "No, it wasn't my mother that rang- it was the solicitors. There's a will reading today. And I'm in it."

"Seriously?!" What time?"

She consults her watch. "In about... an hour. Would you like to come with me?"

"Yeah, course. Let's get going!"

*

An hour later, we were at the office, surrounded by unfamiliar people. The reading had been going on a few minutes, but I wasn't paying much attention.

"And to my daughter, Hannah, I leave nothing," The solicitors voice drones on. "As I know she would not accept anything from me, after what I did."

What she did? What did she do?

"And to my grand-daughter, Annie, whom I never met, but cherished in my heart, I leave my diary, on the condition that she only shows it to those that can be trusted."

Annie is handed a beautiful, old fashioned diary. She runs her fingers over it, transfixed.

*

Hours later, we are sprawled on Annie's bed. I'm staring at the ceiling, listening to music. Annie is reading the diary. She hasn't put it down.

Annie gasps.

"What?" I ask, worried. Did she find a dead spider?

"Luke, you never believe this!"

************************************************************

Cliff hanger! Ah! Anyway, please comment on this!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

277K 11.4K 32
Madison Taylor's life was never the same after being presumed dead for six months. After being washed up, and barely breathing in the lake where she...
298K 8.6K 33
wattys longlist 2018 | MEET ELLA. She's drowning, literally. Ella has lung cancer, causing her lungs to fill with liquid that needs to be drained dai...
5.4K 2.6K 27
"Why are we like this?" "This is what our destiny wanted." "No this is all what YOU wanted," I said quite harshly and then definitely regretted and a...
3.5K 107 10
***this book contains suicidal thoughts and tendencies, may not be appropriate for younger audiences*** In which she looks for the purpose of life. L...