The Last Dance

By xoStardust

Prince John's biggest fear? Becoming King, and everything to do with it, from the sheltered life, to someday... More

The Last Dance (1)
The Last Dance (2)
The Last Dance (3)
The Last Dance (4)
The Last Dance (5)
The Last Dance (6)
The Last Dance (7)
The Last Dance (8)
The Last Dance (9)
The Last Dance (10)
The Last Dance (12)
The Last Dance (13)
The Last Dance (14)
The Last Dance (15)
The Last Dance (16)
The Last Dance (17)
The Last Dance (18)
The Last Dance (19)
The Last Dance (20)
The Last Dance (21)
The Last Dance (22)
The Last Dance (23)
The Last Dance (24)
The Last Dance (25)
The Last Dance (26)
The Last Dance (27)
The Last Dance (28)
The Last Dance (29)
The Last Dance (30)
The Last Dance (31)
The Last Dance (32)
The Last Dance (33)
The Last Dance (34)
The Last Dance (Epilogue)
The Last Dance (Extra)

The Last Dance (11)

533K 5.9K 166
By xoStardust

Hey, soo this chapter originally had some problems that people pointed out and I tried to change it but im still not sure if it works. If anyone notices a problem feel free to let me know, and if you have any suggestions on how to fix it that would be greatly appreciated =)

Comment and Vote?

Enjoy, 

xo.

***************************************************

Chapter 11 - Caught

Celia's POV

I leapt up and checked to make sure my sword was ready. As much as I wanted to tear down the trees in my haste to get to him, I knew it would be foolish to run blindly into a bad situation. I couldn't help him if I got myself caught.

I walked silently and kept a look-out for branches and twigs that might give away my location. Peering around a wide trunk I saw John caught up in a net and hanging suspended from a tree.

My heart skipped a beat and I looked around worriedly for the men who'd laid the trap, but no one was there.

Was this some sort of set up?

I doubted it, but I didn't want to take any chances. I crept around from tree to tree, staying away from any exposed area while he flailed around miserably. While skirting the edges of the clearing I noticed him glancing in the direction of our camp. He opened his mouth only to close it again without uttering a sound.

Was he too proud to call me for help? Or did he think I wouldn't come...

Well he was downright stupid if he thought the latter. Of course I would come.

Always.

I realized how foolish I was being taking all this caution when it was clear no one was about to spring out from the bushes. With one more glance I confirmed we were alone and crossed the last bit of space between us. His eyes widened when he saw me and filled with relief, but again the blank face followed close behind.

"John, thank goodness you're okay." I clutched the net tightly and looked down with a shudder, trying to ignore the fact that he probably didn't want me here.

"How could you leave without anything to protect yourself? What would I have done if something had happened!?" I shook the net to emphasize my point, but I was too relieved for it to come out angry.

I hadn't realized until just now how worried I'd been. He pushed his hand out of the net and brushed it against my cheek. It came away wet. I turned my head embarrassed; I hadn't realized I was that upset.

"It's okay, I'm fine really, just a little uncomfortable," He joked.

I looked up to see him smiling ruefully; the first real show of emotion I'd gotten from him besides anger. I punched his shoulder lightly causing the net to rock and eliciting a chuckle from him. A few more tears slipped out and I rubbed them roughly away.

"You're an idiot." I said softly.

"I know... I'm sorry I worried you..." He said gently, his face coloring slightly.

I nodded and took a deep breath to calm myself. In that moment of silence I heard the snap of a branch from far off.

My eyes widened in panic before I pulled my sword out to cut through the net.

"Wait!" He whisper yelled at me.

I looked up at him in confusion.

"You can't cut me out, or you'll give us away"

"And getting caught won't give us away?" I whispered back in exasperation, listening for anymore sound.

He shook his head at me patiently. "If you help me they'll know there are two of us and come looking. One captured man is hardly a threat, especially when it's me," He said with a good natured shrug.

"And then you'll have the element of surprise to help me."

"So I'm just supposed to leave you here for them to find and do goodness know what with?" My voice came out shrill with panic and I shook my head frantically.

No way.

No way in hell.

"You have to hide until they're gone and get rid of the horses, erase any trace of the camp, I'll be fine, and they won't even recognize me," He reasoned.

"Absolutely not. I'm not leaving you here!" I stomped my foot to emphasize the point.

He looked at me in wonder, like he was seeing me for the first time. After a moment he blinked and tried reasoning with me again. "You need to do this. Like you said, it's not all about me, trust me, I know what I'm doing."

I could see a look of determination set on his face.

"John this is ridiculous, we can just ride back to the village before they even get here."

"It's too far away Cece, and we're not familiar with these woods, especially in the dark, unlike the natives who would know every tree and leaf in this forest. Not even mentioning the horses who would have enough trouble moving through the foliage without carrying us and--"

We were broken off by another branch snapping, this time closer, and the sound of swearing from not too far off.

"I'll get you out of this, I promise."

He smiled at me again, the second genuine one I'd ever seen, and only in the last few minutes. "I know you will."

With that, I looked around for a suitable hiding place, but saw nothing with potential. And besides, I would need to keep track of where they went after pulling him free.

Think Celia!

Then it dawned on me.

Of course, so simple.

No one thinks to look above them in a forest.

I smiled as my thoughts came back to me. I could climb a tree. Perfect.

Now I just needed the right one. It had to be sturdy enough to hold my weight and have enough foliage to cover me.

There.

An elm stood on the opposite side of the clearing from where John was tied up. That would make an excellent lookout point.

I treaded my way around the trees carefully so as not to make a sound. I walked around the tree trying to see the best way up. This would be a challenge alright; I was no fan of heights, although I could handle them. And I would have to for John's sake.

The only problem would be all the noise.

I looked over at John frantically, pointed up at the tree. He immediately understood and began thrashing around in the net, creating a great deal of noise; just the cover I would need to get up the tree.

I knew I had to move fast, since his noise would bring the men along all the faster.

After finding a decent path up and calculating the distance to the first branch, I jumped and caught it with my hands. So far so good.

Taking a deep breath I hoisted myself up until I could swing my leg over. There. I looked up and saw another branch directly above me, but I would have to stand up to reach it.

Putting my arms around the trunk I shifted my body until I had my feet under me and slowly stood up. Once straitened, I reached up and barely managed to wrap my fingers around the next branch. The branches had looked much closer together from the ground, I thought bitterly.

I gritted my teeth and pulled myself up again. I continued the pattern working my way quickly upward. My worry made me forget all about the distance I was putting between myself and the ground, with all my thoughts concentrating on getting high enough. I had to this for him, in a way it was my fault he was in this mess. I was the one who had left him in the clearing and he only followed me, though I still don't know why.

Within minutes I had proper coverage. I turned my gaze back to the clearing. I was right; this was the perfect place to be.

John was still busy struggling in the net, making a commotion when the rustling of leaves and quiet chatter snapped my attention to the left; the opposite direction from where our camp had been.

As I watched, a man stepped out of the trees, followed by two more that bumped into him as he stopped suddenly.

They looked around in confusion before their gazes landed on the tree and John, now silent, suspended from it.

I tensed up, this was it.

John stared at them as they approached and I shifted my position to keep everyone in sight. 

"Well, well, well, wadda we have here?" Said the first guy, who I assumed was the leader of the group. He was tall with cropped black hair and sallow skin. 

John was fully alert and I was impressed to see that there was no fear in his voice when he spoke.

"I'm from the village, sir, and lost my way. I was trying to get home again when I stumbled into this trap of yours"

He had pitched his voice up from its usual deep baritone which would have been a good move if he'd remembered not to speak in his usual cultured manner.

The men exchanged looks and their leader raised an eyebrow, not buying it for a minute. I closed my eyes for a moment to keep from leaping down right now.

"Well ed-e-cated for a village boy aint ye?" He said with a smirk.

I saw the realization dawn on his face, but it passed quickly and he replied after only a moment's hesitation.

"My father sent me for a pages' training when I was of age, so I learned to read and write, but I couldn't handle it, so I came back"

They looked at him carefully trying to detect the lie. I grinned, impressed again. What he'd said was close enough to the truth that it didn't come out as a hastily made up lie. But these men didn't trust so easily and I knew the questions weren't done yet.

"If yer actually from the village then you should be knowin' better 'n to go runnin' off into this here woods"

Again he thought for a moment before answering, not letting the tense situation force him into a costly mistake.

"My parents kept treating me like a kid. I wanted to prove I would be just fine on my own"

"Well, tis a good thing they aint here to see ye now in this pre-dic-i-ment now eh?" He let out a hearty chuckle which his men quickly took up.

My shoulders sagged in relief. He'd managed to get his way out of any immediate trouble, and kept his identity a secret too.

The three men retreated out of hearing distance and put their heads together. They must have been discussing what to do with him because they turned back frequently as if trying to decide whether he was any real threat or not. While they conferred I saw John's gaze flicker to where I was hidden. He smiled faintly before looking away again so my position wouldn't be given away.

He began struggling with something and I scrunched my eyes in confusion wondering what he was up to. Luckily his fidgeting didn't catch their attention and I saw him drop something under the net casually.

I strained my eyes to see what it might be and caught a faint glint of something in the dirt. I hoped they wouldn't notice it as they walked over, their decision made.

"Alright boy, we're gonna let ye down from there, bu' for now yer coming wit' us, hear? Can't take no chances"

John only nodded.

They cut him down with a quick swipe and he landed unceremoniously on the ground. He picked himself up and was about to brush himself off, but seemed to think better of it. Instead he slouched over and walked with an exaggerated gait. I covered my mouth with a hand to keep from giggling. He certainly knew how to put on a show, I'd give him that.

Wordlessly the leader of the group walked up to him and pulled out a rope. He pulled John's hands to the front and tied them together around the wrists.

"Now here's how tis gonna work. We aint gonna hurt ye bu' we can't let ye see the way to our camp see. So's we gonna haf-ta blindfold you bu' don't be a-feared, ol' Jer aint gonna let ye fall. We of the wildy keep our word hear?"

A man, presumably 'Jer', walked over to John and showed him a strip of cloth which he then put over his eyes and tied securely. He then waved his fingers in front of John's face to make sure nothing could be seen.

Seemingly satisfied he took a firm grip of John's forearm and starting walking into the trees after the other two men who'd already disappeared.

At the edge of the trees I saw John stumble and pitch forward slightly, his hands automatically trying to reach out to catch himself even though they were tied up.

His captor steadied him and told him to walk carefully, but I cocked my head to the side. I knew he wasn't that clumsy...

Ah, there.

I saw another glint at the line of trees where the men had disappeared and chuckled quietly.

So the stumble had been deliberate.

A distraction so he could leave me a trail marker.

Smart.

Maybe I'd underestimated him all this time. He was certainly thinking ahead trying to leave me a path to follow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

485 98 22
It was a day like any other day. Claire and Selina were together, talking about the reoccurring dream Claire kept having. Little did they know, ever...
169 16 15
๛ A international fairy was having fun in her free garden with her master to keep eyes on and take care until she fall into this trap to sent her far...
1K 102 10
"This might seem a little abrupt but I fear I might die if I do not say it", he laughed. "I feel drawn to you for some reason. I've truly never felt...
45.9K 873 25
Rain's just a girl trying to make it through her boring sucky life, with a mother that doesn't care about her, to an abusive step-dad. She feels comp...