Love to Hate You

By skinnydipped

[Old. Read at your own risk.] Reese Bentley never expected to be dragged kicking and screaming to the watch t... More

Part One || Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Part Two || Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Part Three || Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Epilogue

Chapter Three

710 24 0
By skinnydipped

“How was the gig last night?” I ask Sean.

He’s seated cross legged on the ground beside me, watching as I open paint cans. Glancing up at him I rest the lid on the floor and reach across the can to get a paint mixing stick, hissing when I discover I’ve smudged black paint all along the underside of my forearm.

Chuckling he answers, “Alright, would have been better if you were there.”

He reaches behind him where I have a pile of rags littering the floor and snatches one up.

“Here, you’re making a mess.” He shakes his head, smiling at my attempts to wipe the paint off my arm with my opposite hand.

He grabs my arm and begins cleaning off the dark paint with the rag gently. I wrinkle my nose up when he’s done and scoff at him.

“I could have done that.”

He tosses the rag aside and raises his eyebrows high above the frames of his glasses.

“Yeah right—Reese, you just did it again!” he laughs when I look down and see yet more black paint on the underside of my arm.

“Rats!” I grumble and hold my hand out for the rag.

He shakes his head and takes my arm again, cleaning if off himself. I narrow my eyes at him while I watch him. He’s been like this for a while now, touchy feely and sweet. Austin’s noticed too because whenever he sees Sean and I together he winks. Yeah, way to make a girl feel uncomfortable.

When he finishes he sets the rag down close to him and notices I’m watching him.

“What?” he asks.

I shrug and avert my eyes to my set of paint brushes. I pick up the largest one, a thick square one someone might use to paint their house with, and decide it will work the best for the first coat of black paint.

“Tell me!” he whines, shaking my arm.

I step out of his reach and stand up, a small smile plastered on my face. I dip my brush in the paint and turn to the wall, randomly slapping on paint all along the boundaries I’m allowed for my mural.

He sighs and stands up as well.

“Reese! Tell me!” he moans, pouting behind my back.

“Sean! Quit being a girl!” I whine back teasingly, raising an eyebrow at him and turning back to my mural.

“I’m not being a girl!” he argues, crossing his arms.

“Are too, now shh!” I tell him, bending down to coat my brush with more paint.

“Tell me!” he whines again, being annoyingly persistent.

I sigh and turn around to face him.

“It’s nothing, you’re being a drama queen.” I say simply before turning back around.

He scoffs and whines. I think he’s done arguing with me until he creeps up behind me and bumps the hand holding the paint brush back so that it hits me in the face.

“Sean!” I gasp at the cold, thick paint dripping off of my chin.

He’s laughing his head off, backing away clutching his stomach.

 Reaching up, I try to wipe off the paint from my face, but I know I’m only smudging it and making it worse.

“Sean!” I screech, “Paint stains!”

This only causes him to laugh harder until he’s bent over in a giggle fit.

I scowl at him. He has no idea how mad I am right now. Paint stains, especially this kind of paint. To make it worse, it’s not just any paint. It’s black paint. Black! It’s going to look like I got punched or something.

Scowling, I feel revenge course through my veins and bend down to dip my paint brush into the paint can. Once the bristles are dripping with black paint I stand up and flick the paint at his bent over laughing body. He freezes, reaching up into his hair where the paint is dripping off of him.

“You did not just do that.” He says slowly, rising up to full height and throwing me a warning look.

Smiling wickedly, I flick the paint brush again, feeling incredibly lucky that there is tarp lying on the floor and we won’t get in too much trouble. Sean jumps back and then whips off his glasses, sliding them across the floor to the safe side of the hall.

“It’s on!” He yells, war calling.

I giggle and dart out of the way when he lunges at me, managing to coat the side of his face with the thick paint. He yelps and yanks the paintbrush back, managing to get a few droplets on my neck.

“Sean!” I squeal, trying to pull away.

“Tell me!” he urges, now ducking down to put his hand into the paint can. I fight him, trying to pull the paintbrush out of his grip while he brings his hand, now completely covered in paint, out of the can.

“No!” I wail as he wipes his hand all over my left arm and pokes my nose, “Sean!”

He lets out a loud laugh and I let go of the paintbrush, looking down at the mess all over my arm. He ducks back down coating both his hand and my paint brush in more paint. I take the opportunity to tackle him backwards, so that he lands on his bum. I fall on top of him and yank the paintbrush out of his hand, but he just smothers my face with his paint covered hand instead. I scream and wipe off at much as I can out of my eyes with the back of my left hand while he throws back his head in laughter. I must look pretty ridiculous. My face is completely covered in paint as well as my shorts, arm, and top of my shirt.

I scrunch up my face and straddle him, leaning down and bring the tip of the paint brush to his face. He tries to wrestle me away but I’m persistent and am successful in giving him a thick, painted on mustache just above his upper lip.

“No!” he cries dramatically, pushing the brush away.

“You asked for it!”

“You asked for it!” he argues.

I scowl and dodge his hand, as it’s blocking the paint brush, so that I can complete his look by connecting his eyebrows with a thick black line.

“That’s it!” he groans and pushes me off him, rolling me over so that he’s straddling me instead.

I try to wiggle my way out from underneath him but he pins both my arms down.

“What are you going to do? You’ve already got me completely covered in paint!” I giggle playfully, looking up into his laughing eyes.

His smile drops and is face screws up in though a little as he contemplates his answer.

“I have no idea, actually.” He smiles.

“Well, then get off and let me up.” I say, rolling my eyes and poking my tongue out at him.

“No. Not until you tell me.” He says stubbornly, turning up his nose.

“It’s not even important.” I sigh impatiently, squirming.

“Well, then tell me.”

“No.”

“Tell!”

“No, Sean.”

“Please!”

“No!”

“C’mon!”

“Drop it!”

All the while his face keeps leaning in closer and closer to mine, smirking softly and raising his eyebrows higher and higher every time he demands me to tell him. He’s a bit too close for comfort, to be honest.

“Tell.” He whispers, and I can feel his breath hit my lips, causing my cheeks to practically burn up in flames. Thank god there is black paint all over my face to cover it.

“Make me.” I taunt with narrowed eyes, but at the same time I’m trying to force my body further into the floor, further away from his closeness.

“You’re so stubborn.” He breathes, and his nose bumps against mine.

I’m frantic at this point, lost for words really. What is he doing? It would be great if he didn’t complicate things!

Don’t do it. Don’t do it. Please, don’t do it! Think about what you’re doing Sean. Don’t kiss me. Don’t kiss me. Don’t kiss me!

My eyes widen when his lips brush experimentally over mine and I suck in my lower lip to chew on it. This throws him off and he removes his gaze from my lips to come a settle on my eyes. I look at him questioningly while his eyebrows furrow together.

“Well, don’t you two look cozy.”

Sean and I both jump. Sean even rolls off of me, throwing the person an almost apologetic yet annoyed glare. I sit up and turn toward Justin, throwing an awkward look at Sean who isn’t really looking at me right now, but is studying his paint covered hand seriously.

“Hey Justin.” I greet him shakily, sending him a small smile.

Justin glances from me to Sean, his eyebrows stitched together. I don’t know if that’s jealousy that’s glinting dangerously in his eyes, or just pure shock at what he just walked in on. He keeps eyeing up Sean.

 Gosh! Why do people have to do this? I mean really, there are other girls who are probably way better for them out there, but no, they have to go and pick on me. Me! I was a loner, a complete loser, and now they decide to do this? Do they even really like me? Or is it my voice they like? I’m confused. Why are boys so confusing!

“So, what were you guys doing?” Justin asks as casually as possible, although I see him watching Sean who is still looking down at his hand.

“Sean decided it would be fun to cover me in paint, which was a bad idea,” I throw Sean a look, “Any who, what are you doing here? I thought you were taking Kris and Austin to get their ears pierced.”

Justin’s eyes don’t leave Sean when he answers, “That’s tomorrow. I came here because I got this idea that might involve you singing with the band next Wednesday.”

I scramble to my feet quickly, beaming.

“Really?”

“Yeah.” He replies, tearing his eyes away from Sean and smiling at me, obviously happy that my attention is on him.

“Well, don’t be selfish! Spill!” I order, bouncing on the balls of my feet.

“You sneak out.” He says simply, yet seriously.

Sneak out? Sneak out! Yes! Let’s sneak out! Oh, this is going to be good! My head screams, making the adrenaline rush through my body at top speed.

I’ve never snuck out before. Never. I’ve always been the good girl. Not the girl who sneaks out, goes to parties, gets drunk, gets pregnant…none of that nonsense. But, I’d like to categorize this sneaking out under something else. It’s not like I’m going out to get drunk or high or anything. I’ll be sneaking out to sing, to dance, to perform! I’m going out to be a Heartbreaker, and that I can make doable.

I open my mouth to answer an excited “yes” but something stops me. A little annoying voice in the back of my head is trying to be heard over the excitement, and with the little voice is a little red flag. It’s a warning, and I know exactly what I’m being warned about.

Mom.

I frown and stop bouncing, my excitement dying.

“That’s not happening.” I sigh sadly.

Justin’s mouth drops, “What? Yes it is!” he retorts.

“My mom would know if I’m gone.” I argue, putting my hands on my hips. Mad at him for making such a stupid suggestion and mad at myself for thinking it could be done.

“No she won’t. Tell her you’re painting or whatever, lock yourself in your bedroom and sneak out the window. You’ll be back within two hours. She’ll never know.” He protests.

I groan and run my fingers through my hair, which was a bad idea because I just smeared paint all along my scalp.

“Do you know how much trouble I’d get in?” I ask him, scowling in his direction.

“Please, Carrots.” Justin pouts.

“Come on, Reese, we need you.” Sean adds, which makes Justin’s jaw clench.

I look between the two of them. Both are pleading with me.

There is no way I would get away with that. It’s completely absurd!  We all know I’m a clutz. I’d probably break something on my way out the window. Plus, I can only imagine what my mom would do if she found out. She’d flip, no, she’d bury me alive and dance on my grave. Then, she’d bring me back to life and do it again. Heck no, I can’t do this!

“I just don’t think I can get away with it.” I say quietly, shifting my eyes between the two nervously.

“Reese, please! We could really use you next Wednesday.” Justin says, still not giving up.

Wait—Wednesday—no.

“It’s my birthday next Wednesday. There’s no way.” I say suddenly.

“Your birthday?” Justin grins, “Now you definitely have to come.”

“No! I can’t. My parents smother me.”

“You can’t escape for at least two hours?” Sean asks.

Justin shoots him another glare and strides forward to grab my shoulders.

“Two hours, that’s it. You’ll get to sing on your birthday.” Justin bribes, batting his eyelashes and sticking out his bottom lip.

I frown watching his eyes. I really shouldn’t be giving in. But he makes a good point. It’s only two hours and it’s on my birthday. That would be the best birthday present ever, to be able to perform. I reason in my head the pros and the cons, trying to find ways around the bad things that could happen. In fact, I’m already formulating a plan, an escape out.

I sigh loudly so they know I’m irritated and annoyed before answering with a simple, “Fine.”

Justin cheers quietly and Sean claps with a large grin.

“But you owe me an amazing birthday present….And you have to buy me lunch tomorrow.” I tell Justin, poking him in the chest multiple times.

He backs up quickly, “No poking, you’re full of paint.” He laughs, “But, I promise you the best birthday present you’ll ever receive and I’ll gladly buy you lunch tomorrow,” he winks, “Now, I would love to hug you right now, but Sean has gone and dirtied you up so I can’t.”

“Thank you, Sean, for saving me from a Justin hug.” I say sweetly to Sean to bother Justin.

Sean only gives me a lousy half-smile while Justin scoffs.

“You’re only asking for a kiss right now.” Justin notes, pretending to examine his fingernails.

I scrunch my nose up and gag, “It’s sad that you have to use your kisses as threats.”

The realization strikes him and he pauses, scrunching his eyebrows a little while his eyes dart around aimlessly. I guess he doesn’t really think before he speaks.

Sean coughs, trying to hide a chuckle. It’s obvious that there’s something not right between the two of them. I think I may have an idea to what it may be, but that would make me sound conceded. It’s not like these two aren’t attractive enough to find some other girl. Besides, you don’t date friends. It’s weird. It would be like bandcest or something. The thought makes me mentally cringe.

“Whatever, you like it.” Justin finally retorts. I can tell he’s not entirely pleased with his comeback, but tries to wear it proudly.

At this point Sean stands up and brushes past both of us, purposefully ramming into Justin’s shoulder harder than necessary.  Justin’s face drops slightly and he hesitates, trying to decide if he should look back at the other boy or not. He seems to argue against it and looks down at me instead, giving me his best grin.

“Need help with that?” Justin asks, nodding to the paint splattered wall. I realize that he means he wants to help me paint the first layer on.

I look over my shoulder at the mess Sean and I made and then turn back to Justin.

“Sure, just let me clean up.” I tell him and run off to find a bathroom.

When I step in to the ladies room I have to force myself to face my reflection, which I instantly cringe at. How can these boys talk to me when I look like this? I look dreadful! Paint is literally covering my whole face and clinging to the ends of my hair while streaks of black stain my arms. Um, wow, this is embarrassing. Let’s not even get into the fact that both boys are extremely attractive and saw me like this.

 Great. Shoot me. Just flipping shoot me. It’d probably be less painful than going back out there and having to be with Justin for an hour looking like this.

I curse Sean under my breath and run the water, pumping as much soap out of the dispenser as I can hold in my hand before aggressively scrubbing my face and arms with hot soapy water in an attempt to fix my appearance. I end up using my fingernails to scrape off most of it. The only downside to that is now it looks like a rabid cat attacked me.

I do manage to get just about all of the paint off, with the exception of a few faded blotches here and there.  When I’m happy with how I look I walk out and join Justin.

I notice he’s gotten to work and is painting the black on with long strokes. Heck, he even managed to find a step ladder to reach the top of my mural area. The way he holds the brush in his hand tells me he’s an artist.

That reminds me! Mrs. Boots told me he was a good artist not that long ago. I remember the sketch he did for her class. I admit it, he’s good.

Right now, I don’t know whether to be thankful that he’s offered to help me with the first layer or territorial of this whole thing. This is my mural after all. I don’t want his nifty art skills taking away from mine. Not that any skill is required for the base coat of paint. Still, art is my area of expertise and his is singing and standing around looking pretty. Although, I believe the line between mine and his expertise is blurred recently, which irks me a little.

I guess we really aren’t as different as I had thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 50 28
Kate, a girl who has a normal life, well that's the way it seems till she meets the famous boy band Mindless Behavior and one of the band members nam...
578 79 23
"You know,you even treat that guitar better than you do most people. Girls especially. If he was surprised at my sudden intrusion, he didn't show it...
65.9K 4.1K 31
Justin Bieber lived in a house with three sisters who loved to torture him, his father is a rich man and always spoils his sisters, Justin's father d...
4.3M 73.2K 100
18 year old Jessica Rogers moves to Atlanta to be with her Dad and his new family. Her whole world turns upside down when she learns her new step bro...