Love to Hate You

By skinnydipped

[Old. Read at your own risk.] Reese Bentley never expected to be dragged kicking and screaming to the watch t... More

Part One || Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Part Two || Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Part Three || Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Epilogue

Chapter Eighteen

749 35 1
By skinnydipped

I skip my trip to Mrs. Boots classroom and instead head right over to Sean’s house. I take in the manicured lawn and white washed fence before opening the gate and jogging up the porch steps. His mom answers the door once again, but looks doesn’t frown at my appearance. I’m guessing she approves of my outfit this time.

“Come in, Sean will be up in a second.” She greets me pleasantly before disappearing to go and find him.

I stand in the entryway awkwardly. I hate it when people leave me alone on their welcome mat. Observing décor really isn’t my thing.

Finally, Sean appears and smiles when he sees me.

“Hey.”

“Hey, I have some news for you.” I grin.

He gives me a wary look and shoves his hands in his pockets.

“What’s up?” he asks, observing me over the frames of his glasses.

I lift the guitar pick necklace off from where it rests on my chest and swing it about, wiggling my eyebrows. He fingers his own absentmindedly.

“You’re kidding me.” He laughs, his face breaking out into a full-fledged grin.

I shake my head, “The Heartbreakers are reunited, for good.”

Sean steps forward to embrace me. I rest my head on his shoulder and smile. It really is good to be back.

“How on earth did you manage?” Sean asks while releasing me.

I tell him about my encounter with Justin which causes him to grin like an idiot.

“It’s gonna happen.” He smirks.

My eyebrows knit together, “Dream on.”

“You say you hate him, but that’s just code for I love you.”

“We’re seventeen. We don’t know what love is.” I point out.

He just slides his glasses up the bridge of his nose and answers, “Whatever you say.”

I huff and wave goodbye. I meet Austin and deliver the same message, receiving the biggest hug I’ve ever gotten in the process. He also mentioned something about saving his love-life but he’s a drama queen so I just laughed and left shortly afterward.

When I arrive at home I change into something comfy and sit down on my bed. A sudden spark goes off in my brain and I stand up, heading down to the office. It’s strange how I can get inspired in less than a second.

Routine takes over as I set up a fresh canvas and prime it. I start mixing paint, brushing hair out of my face with the back of my hand. The guitar picks dangles lazily from my neck as I reach across the table in search of a wide brush.  When I finally find it I pretty much attack the canvas with a light coating of midnight black paint. I can feel my imagination take flight as I layer and mix paint. My eyes and mind focused on the creation in front of me. I’m horrible at patience, so when it comes time to let the painting dry before adding the next layer, it takes every ounce of me to force myself out of the office for a little fresh air.

I wash my hands in the kitchen sink and dry them off slowly, not recognizing A.J.’s presence.

“You’ve been painting.”

I jump and see him eating a bowl of cereal at the breakfast bar. His short hair is messy and disheveled and his choice of sweatpants indicates he’s been in bed all day, probably studying.

“Uh, yeah?” I say while raising an eyebrow, “Does that surprise you?”

He sighs and stands up. He comes to stand in front of me, grasping my hand a shaking it so hard my arm jiggles.

“Welcome back to Earth, Reese!” he says enthusiastically.

I swat him off.

“Oh, get off it! I’m keeping the red hair, so don’t expect me to return to my geeky, loner self.” I scowl.

“I liked that, though. But, you’re painting again, so that’s saying your old self is still in there somewhere.” He smiles.

“Okay, whatever. I would never give up on painting, okay? I just needed a break from all that rejection.”

“Rejection?”

“Yeah, it lowered my self-esteem, okay? Not one teacher will let me be on the Mural Wall.” I sigh.

“So, you turned to something you were actually getting attention for. That makes sense.” He reasons.

I frown at him, completely annoyed.

“You bug me.” I say before turning to leave.

“Hey, you’re still the geeky little art nerd!” he calls after me.

“Proud of it!” I call back.

I hear his light chuckle while I ascend the steps up to my room. Smiling, I fall down onto my mattress. I play with the necklace for a while, zoning out, when my eyes land on something I haven’t given back. I giggle and sit up, taking the souvenir into my hands. Alright, Karma, let’s make a flashy entrance back into the Heartbreakers, shall we?

~*~

I can feel Justin’s eyes on me with every glance he sends my direction. I tilt my head in his direction and quirk an eyebrow with a small smirk. When he sees this he smiles broadly and leans over his desk slightly, licking his lips. I roll my eyes and fiddle with the guitar pick hanging off my neck. I hear a ghost of a chuckle and smile to myself.  He’s been like this all period. And by this, I mean completely adorable. He should knock it off.

“Carrots! Hey, Carrots!”

I turn my head toward the whisper and wait for him to continue.

“Practice tonight.”

I nod slightly, my mind drifting. Sean, Austin, and I have a little surprise planned for them tonight. I look down at my backpack. Justin’s mic is in there.

With the surprise in mind and Anne of Green Gables finished, my mind is allowed to take a break. Everything is planned and simple. No more having to constantly think about the war between Justin and I, even though I can still feel it’s there. Just because we forgave each other, doesn’t mean we are automatically going to become best friends. Nope, he’s going to have to earn it.

“Carrots!”

I sigh and give him a sideways glance.

“What?”

“Sit with me at lunch today?”

I bite my lip and look at the clock. The painting I started last night is on my mind and I promised myself I’d visit Mrs. Boots at lunch to get her input.

“No, I’ve got plans.” I whisper with a shrug.

“You suck.”

“Whatever.”

“Hate you.”

“I hate you, too.”

~*~

“So, I was hoping that maybe after you saw it-“

“Reese, all of the mural stuff needs to be turned in by Monday.”

“It will be.”

“Even still, you’re a junior, it probably won’t happen.” Mrs. Boots sighs behind her desk, suddenly standing up to erase her white board.

I lean back on my heels and stand up from the crouching position I’ve been in. I skip over to help her but she stops me.

“You know I’m only trying to save you from heartbreak if your painting doesn’t get in.” she tells me with a hand on my shoulder.

I can’t help but roll my eyes.

“Trust me, heartbreak is the least of my worries.”

She exhales heavily and goes back to erasing the board. I turn to my backpack and secure the straps on my shoulder before looking over my shoulder at her busy figure.

“I think you don’t think I’m good enough.” I say softly and hastily walk out before she can say anything.

~*~

To my surprise, Alex picks me up at my locker and walks with me to the front door. He doesn’t say much, in fact he doesn’t say anything at all, which bugs me.

“I’m sorry.” I say, deciding to break the silence.

He throws me a confused glance.

“What are you talking about.”

“I’m sorry that all of this affected you guys. It was really selfish of Justin and I to include you guys in our fight.” I explain with a small smile, trying to show I’m sincere.

“That’s okay, it was fun.” He laughs, “I’m sorry for not taking your side.”

I frown, “Yeah, you were always on my side until that little incident, you loser.” I say with a playful shove.

We both let out airy laughs and catch up with the rest of the group. All I can say is: It’s good to be back. It looks so natural, all of us. I guess Sean and Austin are taking the car to Justin’s place. It has their instruments. So, I’m stuck to skateboard with the others.

I must say, I’ve gotten really good at skateboarding. It doesn’t take long to get to Justin’s place, for that very reason.

When we arrive, Sean and Austin have already gotten there and have opened the garage door. They are finishing up with their setup so I reach back into my bag and pull out Justin’s mic. Making sure Justin can’t see me, I wave it in the air to show Sean and Austin that we can start. Sean nods and jogs across the room to flip the switches. Justin turns back to look at me in surprise. I glance from him to Sean, who’s back at the keyboard now and playing softly.

Sean nods and I flip the switch on the bottom of Justin’s mic before starting.

After all that you put me through,

You think I'd despise you,

But in the end I wanna thank you,

'Cause you've made me that much stronger

I smile when Justin shoves his hands in his pockets and leans back slightly, watching me with a little grin.

Well I thought I knew you, thinkin' that you were true

Guess I, I couldn't trust called your bluff time is up

'Cause I've had enough

You were there by my side, always down for the ride

But your joy ride just came down in flames 'cause your greed sold me out in shame

Austin has begun to play his guitar along with Sean’s keyboard. I wink at them and bounce along to the beat as I dance around the room.

After all of the stealing and cheating you probably think that I hold resentment for you

But uh uh, oh no, you're wrong

'Cause if it wasn't for all that you tried to do, I wouldn't know

Just how capable I am to pull through

So I wanna say thank you

'Cause it

I stop in front of Justin and look up at him as I sing:

Makes me that much stronger

Makes me work a little bit harder

It makes me that much wiser

So thanks for making me a fighter

Made me learn a little bit faster

Made my skin a little bit thicker

Makes me that much smarter

So thanks for making me a fighter

I am a fighter and I

I ain't gonna stop

There is no turning back

I've had enough

My voice echoes strongly off the walls, making me shiver. I run my fingers through my hair and rock along to the beat, taking a big breath before continuing.

Makes me that much stronger

Makes me work a little bit harder

It makes me that much wiser

So thanks for making me a fighter

Made me learn a little bit faster

Made my skin a little bit thicker

Makes me that much smarter

So thanks for making me a fighter

“Thanks, Justin.” I whisper into the mic then bite my lip and bound across the room to Austin and Sean, scooping them up in a hug.

“Gosh darn, we could have had a comeback song! How come we don’t have a comeback song?” Alex grumbles, throwing his arms about helplessly.

“Because we aren’t impossibly difficult, that’s why.” Justin answers simply while shrugging his shoulders. I barely notice the playful glint in his eye when he glances at me.

The statement causes me to sputter and laugh.

“That’s a lie.”

“That’s fact. Now, if you wouldn’t mind, I’d like my mic back.” He says, walking up to me with an outstretched hand.

I look down at it and then back up at him, gripping his mic more firmly.

“I want mine back first.”

“Are you kidding me? Duh, you’ll get it back. Hand mine over.” He snaps in an annoyed tone.

I tuck the mic into my chest and raise my eyebrows, a smirk tugging the corner of my lips.

“You’re so immature.” He scowls while turning on his heel and heading over to the controls.

“I want it disinfected, too!” I add teasingly.

He looks over his shoulder and glares at me. Then, he turns around completely and looks at me smugly.

“It’s not like my lips are unfamiliar to yours.”

The whole garage erupts in laughter.  My face burns at the mention of our not so sweet, not so romantic, quick little lip touch. It wasn’t even that big of a deal, yet, it seems to be every ones favorite topic. I thought he was mad about it, but to see him chuckling over there makes me wonder. If he can crack jokes about it now, then was that even the real reason he kicked me out?

“I’d say they’re pretty unfamiliar seeing as that little kiss was barely even a second.” I point out.

“Your fault.” He says, trying to keep things a joking matter.

“That’s right, I rejected you, didn’t I?”

“Reese, shut up.” Sean hisses quickly.

Justin’s laughter seems to falter, his face straining to keep the remains of a smile.

“Yeah.” Justin says, scrunching his nose up and turning back around to rummage for the mic.

“Settle down, I’ve got things under control.” I whisper back at Sean. He only gives me a warning look behind his glasses. I roll my eyes and lean against his keyboard to wait for Justin.

Justin finds the mic and walks back over to me with his eyes on the cement of the floor. When he stops in front of me he looks up and smiles as friendly as he can manage.

“Here you go.” He offers, holding out the mic.

I reach out for it, “Thank you.”

Just as my fingers touch it he pulls the mic back and drags his tongue all along the top of the microphone where I would sing into it. My mouth drops open.

“All yours.” He smirks.

“I can not believe you just did that. That’s disgusting! No way! I don’t want that back now!” I half stutter, half shriek.

“It’s yours.” He insists and snatches his mic from my hands and replaces it with the saliva covered one.

“Eww!” I groan and hold the mic away from me in disgust.

“If you like, we can always make our tongues familiar with each other.”  He grins proudly.

I take a giant step back from him and shake my head, “Yeah, I’m good.” I assure him with a scowl, “Sick!”

Kris and Austin are practically rolling on the floor in a giggle fit while Sean smothers his laughter with his hand. Alex isn’t exactly laughing, but he’s got the goofiest grin plastered on his face.

“I think I might throw up.” I moan while holding the mic away from me at arm’s length.

“Ahh, revenge is sweet.” Justin sighs to himself.

My face contorts as I glare at him.

“I hate you. I hate you so much right now. I want your mic back.” I rant, stomping up to him prepared to wrestle for the less nasty mic.

“Oh no you don’t.” he snickers while holding the mic above his head.

Put into perspective that I’m about a head shorter than him and his arm span is pretty ridiculous. So, jumping and reaching is not going to work.

“I will knee you in the balls.” I warn.

“I come prepared.” He winks.

“That’s not fair!”

He only laughs and holds the mic up higher. Looks like I have to result to jumping and reaching. This is just lovely.

He backs up and fights me off while I tackle him, trying to retrieve his mic back. We stumble all over the garage and knock things over. He’s trying to talk me out of it, but I’m having none of that. No way. I don’t want his spit all over my microphone!

He finally crashes against a wall and I step on his feet to get another inch of height to reach the mic. On tip toes, I reach my arm as far is it will go. His face is directly in front of mine wearing a stupid little grin.

“Kiss me and you can have it back.”

“Hell no.” I reply, my eyes wide in shock at his proposal.

“You’re stuck with my spit either way.” He states indifferently, with a glint of amusement in his eye.

I scowl, resisting the urge to gag.

“You know you want t-“

Rolling my eyes, I close the gap between us quickly, knowing it’s a bad idea. It shuts him up though, and leaves him genuinely surprised, making the hand with the mic drop. His lips press against mine eagerly, making my stomach flutter. My left hand runs down his arm and finds the mic in his hand, removing it and replacing it with mine. He lets the mic fall to the ground, though, and brings his hands up to hold my neck. He’s a good kisser, there’s no denying that, but when I feel him try to intensify the kiss I pull away.

“You only said kiss.” I murmur and back away waving the mic in his face with a slight smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 23.7K 50
Like so many other people, Emily has dreamed of being famous. So when the X-factor comes to town, she decides to audition. The next thing she knows...
570 52 10
It's not everyday that a up coming band manager offers a nobody a position as a photographer on their world tour. It's not everyday a nobody shares a...
30.8K 483 35
Tess is a new girl. New Life. New School. New Everything. She is just getting to know the new people in her life at school. When she starts playing...
3.2K 29 33
Did anyone even think that it was remotely possible to meet your favourite member of your favourite band on just a normal trip to town?. Well Kasie a...