War of Hearts 》Bellamy Blake

By UpInFlames_

At 15, Brinley Kane was locked up. At 18, she was sent to the ground. Brinley Kane had accepted her inev... More

P R O L O G U E
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
E L E V E N
P L A Y L I S T
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
B O N U S
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y O N E
T W E N T Y T W O
T W E N T Y T H R E E
T W E N T Y F O U R
PART II: Game of Survival
1 - White Noise
2 - Escape
3 - Allies
4 - Reunions
5 - Metamorphosis
G A M E O F S U R V I V A L
6 - Spacewalker
7 - Consequences
8 - Into The Unknown
9 - Survival
Playlist
10 - Tag, You're It
11 - Knocking on Heaven's Door
C O N T R O L
PART III: C O N T R O L
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
T H E F A L L O U T
F A L L O U T (Playlist/Excerpt)
Chapter One: Expiration Date
Chapter Two: Truce
Chapter Three: Playing God
Chapter Four: Past // Present

T E N

17.7K 531 454
By UpInFlames_

Not long after Charlotte's revelation, Bellamy, Finn and Clarke ushered Charlotte away from the prying eyes and the murderous stares coming from Murphy. Brinley had managed to loosen the rope around Murphy to cut it and it didn't take Murphy long to recover and his 'friend's to join him again.

'What are you going to do?' Brinley whispered.

Murphy glanced at her. 'I'm going to make someone pay for what they just did.'

Murphy lightly squeezed her arm before he led the rest of the camp towards Bellamy's tent, seething with barely controlled rage.

Brinley snuck around the large group, slipping under the side of Bellamy's tent, unnoticed by Murphy and the others.

'Bring out the girl, Bellamy!' Murphy called impatiently.

'Why Charlotte?' Bellamy asked as he paced, looking stressed and confused.

'I was just trying to slay my demons, like you told me!' Charlotte yelled back at him, her face crumpled in anguish.

'What the hell is she talking about?' Clarke spat, unable to look directly at the girl for too long.

'She misunderstood me. Charlotte, that is not what I meant!' Bellamy breathed out, running a hand through his hair.

'She knows that. Don't you Charlotte.' Brinley made her presence known, startling the others.

'Brinley, I'm sorry...' The girl whispered regretfully.

'Oh your sorry? Guess that makes it okay, then.' Brinley was shaking again, this time with rage.

'Brinley, stop.' Bellamy warned her.

'Oh no, I'm not going to stop. This little girl' Brinley sneered. 'Killed one of my friends and is responsible for the hanging of another. Jesus, do you even realise what you've just done?' She asked the small blonde.

'I'm sorry, I just wanted the nightmares to stop.' Charlotte cried.

'Bring the girl out now!' Murphy yelled again.

'Please don't let them hurt me!' She sobbed to Bellamy.

'You want to be a killer Charlotte?' Brinley asked, stepping towards the younger girl. Bellamy shifted slightly, prepared to step in if necessary.

Charlotte shook her head. 'No, No I-'

'You know what killers do? What murderers do? They own up to what they've done. They take responsibility for the lives they end! They understand what they're doing! They don't hide behind other people!'

'You're a murderer!' She sobbed. 'Why is it okay for you to kill people but not me?'

Brinley tensed. 'I have never killed someone without a reason to. Those guards I killed? They were terrible people who did terrible, awful things. And Atom? I killed him because he asked me too. Did Wells ask you to kill him?'

'No but-'

'Had Wells done anything to hurt you?'

'No-'

'Then you had no reason to hurt him. You aren't innocent in this Charlotte, you're the guilty party here.'

'She's just a kid-' Finn started.

'She is twelve years old.' Brinley scoffed. 'She knows right from wrong, don't play that card with me.'

'If you guys have any bright ideas, speak up.' Bellamy glanced at his silent companions. 'Now you stay quiet.' he scoffed.

'Those are your boys out there!' Finn reminded him.

'If she had listened to me, those idiots would still be out building the wall!' Bellamy gestured to Clarke who looked ashamed.

'You want to build a society princess? Let's build a society! Bring her out!' Brinley cringed as Murphy yelled.

'He's not going to stop.' She warned. 'He wants justice.'

'Yeah well he's not getting it. What, you want to give her to Murphy so he can kill her?

'Bellamy no! Please!' Charlotte tugged on Bellamy's arm.

'I never said I thought we should let him kill her.' Not that he would, she thought silently. 'I do think she should be punished.'

Bellamy sighed. 'Look, Charlotte, go with them.' He gestured to Finn and Clarke, who looked slightly sick.

Bellamy stood up again. 'What are you going to do?' Brinley questioned.

'Create a distraction. You two, go.' Finn nodded at Bellamy as he ushered both Clarke and Charlotte away.

'Does he know you're in here?' Bellamy frowned.

'What do you think?' She scoffed.

'Just... stay there, alright?'

'Don't tell me what to do.' Brinley rolled her eyes as he left, but stayed put anyway.

She was conflicted. On one hand, what Bellamy and inadvertently Charlotte had done to Murphy was inexcusable and unforgivable. She doubted she'd ever forget seeing Murphy strung up and choking for air, it would haunt her for the rest of her life. On the other hand, Charlotte was only twelve, she certainly knew better, but even on the Ark, murder at her age meant you were locked up as punishment until you were eighteen, and then the severity of the case was reviewed.

Brinley wanted to see Charlotte punished. But she didn't necessarily want to see her dead.

'Well well well, look who decided to join us.'

'Dial it down and back off!' Bellamy's voice rose above the others as he presumably yelled at Murphy.

'Or what? What are you gonna do Bellamy? Hang me?' Brinley groaned at Murphy's reply. There was no way Bellamy was going to get him to back down willingly.

'I was just giving the people what they wanted.' Brinley could picture Bellamy shrugging as if it excused his actions.

'The people? There were people who begged you to stop! Finn, the princess, Brinley, even your own sister.' Murphy scoffed.

'But you know what?' He continued. 'That's a good idea. Why don't we do that right now? So, who here wants to see the real murderer hung up? All in favour?' Only Murphy's group of criminals raised their hands and Bellamy looked on, pleased with the result. 'I see. So, it's okay to string me up for nothing, but when this little bitch confesses, you all let her walk? Cowards! All of you are cowards!' Murphy screamed.

'Hey Murphy, Murphy it's over!' Bellamy yelled.

Brinley peeked at the scene through a gap in the tent. 'Whatever you say boss.' Murphy shrugged and Bellamy turned his back on him. Bad move.

Murphy hurried after Bellamy, grabbing one of the split firewood logs, bashing Bellamy over the head, effectively knocking him out.

'Son of a bitch!' Octavia screamed as she dodged Murphy to make her way to her brother.

'Come on, let's get the girl.' Murphy pulled up the tent so fast that Brinley didn't have time to react.

'Not exactly the girl I was looking for.' Murphy frowned at Brinley. 'What, you're on their side now?' Brinley caught the flash of betrayal on Murphy's face.

'I'm not on anyone's side, Murphy. Jesus, you know me better than that.'

'Then come and help me find this little bit-'

'Murphy, she's going to pay for what she did. But this isn't the way to go about it.'

'That's rich, coming from you.'

Brinley's face-hardened and she shoved Murphy backwards, following him out of the tent. 'Fuck you.'

'You know what I meant.'

'You don't have to do this, Murphy. Not right now, you aren't thinking straight.'

'Oh I'm thinking just fine.' He leered at her as he stepped closer to her, his hand gripping her waist as though he were hugging her as he bought his lips to her ear.

'Besides Brin, I'm not punishing Charlotte, hell I'd shake her hand for having the guts to do what so many wish they could've. I'm punishing Bellamy.' He smirked at her.

'Charlotte! Charlotte, I know you can hear me! And when I find you, you are gonna pay! Come on.' Murphy left after shooting her a grin.

'Bell? Come on, wake up.' Octavia's voice pulled her attention to both her and Jasper who were leaning over Bellamy.

Jasper looked up and caught her eye. 'Murphy knocked him out good.'

Brinley crossed her arms and sighed loudly. 'This is a fucking mess.'

'Is Murphy going after Charlotte?' Jasper looked at Brinley as she crouched beside him.

'Yes and no.' She answered vaguely.

'What does that mean?' Jasper asked, exchanging glances with Octavia.

'It means he's probably going to scare Charlotte. But he won't punish her – won't hurt her.'

'How the hell can you say that? He just knocked my brother out and left him. Who knows what he'll do to Charlotte.' Octavia glared at Brinley.

'You still don't get it do you.' Brinley scoffed as she stood up, rolling her eyes.

'Get what?' Jasper frowned up at her.

'He's not punishing Charlotte.'

'What-'

'He's punishing Bellamy.'

Octavia's eyes widened in realisation and understanding. 'Oh my god.'

'You should probably tell him that when he wakes up.' Brinley shrugged.

Brinley walked away from the two, soon returning to see everyone still crowded around Jasper, Bellamy and Octavia.

'Don't you lot have something else to do? Get back to your work stations.' She growled and the onlookers quickly dispersed.

Brinley undid the canteen she was holding, sloshing it around thoughtfully before she dumped the contents onto Bellamy's face.

Bellamy woke up with a start, gasping as he wiped the water off of his face.

'Where'd he go?' Bellamy pushed himself into a sitting position.

'He went after Charlotte, Bell.' Octavia's hands fluttered over Bellamy's head in concern. 'Bell, I think Clarke needs to look at you.'

'Clarke and Finn took Charlotte, and we don't have time. Who knows what Murphy will do.'

'Actually-' Brinley started.

'You could have a concussion.' Octavia interrupted. 'You shouldn't go anywhere.'

'I'm not just staying here.' Bellamy stated firmly.

'Fine. Look, I know almost as much a Clarke does when it comes to medicine, I can check you over but you're gonna have to listen to me or I'll tie you down and hand Charlotte over to Murphy myself.'

'No.' Bellamy shook his head, grimacing at the pain it caused.

'Just let her do it, Bell.' Octavia spoke up, shooting a pleading look at her brother.

'Fine.' Bellamy spat.

'Yay.' Brinley said sarcastically. 'Can you stand?'

Jasper leant forward as if to help Bellamy but Brinley stopped him. 'No, he has to do it by himself.'

Bellamy rolled his eyes, standing up, swaying slightly before crossing him arms. Brinley backed away from him. 'Walk towards me.'

'Why?'

'Just do it.' She said impatiently. He did as she said as Jasper and Octavia watched on.

'What now sweetheart?' Brinley stepped away from Bellamy slightly, not liking how close he was. He noticed how uncomfortable she was and she smirked.

'Walk back over there.' He did as she told him.

'How long do you think you were out?'

'I don't know, a few minutes?'

'More like ten.' Jasper muttered.

Brinley walked back towards them again. 'Almost done.'

Without a second thought Brinley reached up and punched Bellamy in the arm, hard.

'What the hell are you doing?' Bellamy clutched the spot she's hit.

'Checking your physical responses.' Brinley smirked.

'Okay I'm done.'

'No you're not. Turn around.'

'Why?'

'Just do it Bellamy.' Octavia sighed.

Brinley stepped closer to Bellamy, resting her palm against Bellamy's head. Bellamy jerked away almost instantly. 'Oh yeah, Murphy got you good. You got a headache?'

'I was hit over the head, of course I do.'

'Alright, one more thing.' Brinley pulled a small torch out of her back pocket that she'd retrieved from her tent. She clicked it on, flashing it in his eyes. Bellamy flinched away from the light, swearing as his eyes watered. He rubbed at them, turning back to Brinley looking dazed.

'Can I go now?'

'I don't know if that's a smart idea. Looks like you have a mild concussion buddy.'

'Bullshit.'

'Sensitivity to light, headache, problems with balance, the signs are all there.'

'Sensitivity to light? You flashed a torch in my eyes.' Bellamy rolled his eyes.

'Hey Jasper?'

'Yeah – whoa.'

Brinley clicked the light in Jasper's eyes. Unlike Bellamy, Jasper squinted slightly, blinking as his eyes adjusted. Octavia frowned. 'I think she's right, Bell.'

'Whatever. I don't have time for this, I'm going to find Charlotte.'

'Fine don't listen to me.' Brinley rolled her eyes, walking away from the group.

Almost immediately, footsteps sounded behind her. 'Hey! Shouldn't someone keep watching him?' Octavia looked worried as she quizzed Brinley.

'Usually, yes. But your brother's a stubborn ass who won't listen to anyone but himself.'

'Go with him.'

'Excuse me?' Brinley stopped and turned to Octavia.

'Please. He won't let me go, and Murphy's your friend right?'

'So? Last time I checked, Bellamy and I hate each other, and you and I aren't exactly friends right now, so why would I do anything to help either of you?'

'Look, I want to be your friend okay – I'

'You can't even look me in the eyes anymore, Octavia. Why would I want to be friends with someone who cowers like a scared little girl every time she see's me.'

'I'm sorry okay – I just... Can you please, please do this for me? I tried to stop them from hanging Murphy, so can you please do this one thing?'

Brinley sighed.

'Brinley, please.'

Brinley. 'God damn it, fine. Quit whining.' She rolled her eyes.

'Thank you!' Octavia called as Brinley walked away.

*****

'Hey, hot shot!'

By the time Brinley had agreed to Octavia's request, Bellamy had already stormed away from camp and Brinley had hurried to chase after him. She'd been walking for a half hour and had finally caught sight of the messy dark hair walking below her.

'What do you want?' He called, annoyance clear in his tone as she slid down the hill to him.

'From you? Nothing. I'm just here to make sure you don't pass out and die or something.' Brinley shrugged, falling into step with him.

'Did Octavia send you?'

'Yep. After begging of course, I wouldn't just come out of the goodness of my heart.' She snickered.

'Of course you wouldn't.' His face was blank as he trekked forward.

'Do you even know where you're going?' It was getting dark quickly and becoming harder and harder to see.

'Charlotte!' Murphy's voice sounded far away, but clear.

'I've been following him.' Bellamy pointed out.

'Well I've been following you, so lead the way.' Brinley smirked.

'You don't even care about her, so why are you helping?'

'Never said I didn't care about her. I just don't agree with her actions, or yours for that matter. The two of you should trade notes.'

'What would you have me do? Hang her?'

Brinley sucked in a sharp breath. 'No, Jesus I wouldn't put anyone through what you put Murphy through. It's barbaric.'

'It's not that different to floating someone because of their crimes.'

'It is actually. Hanging is slowly choking to death as you run out of air; it takes up to twenty minutes for someone to actually die. Floating is quick and mostly painless.'

'Mostly?'

'When Abby Griffin came to float me, I asked her to explain what was going to happen. Fourteen seconds after the airlock opens you lose consciousness, and after ninety seconds, you die.'

'Fourteen seconds before you lose consciousness. Wouldn't that be painful?'

'Abby described it as the longest fourteen seconds of a person's life.' Brinley glanced up at Bellamy who had a strange expression on his face.

'Why are you-' Brinley cut herself off with a gasp. 'Your Mum, shit. I'm - I'm sorry.'

Bellamy stayed quiet.

'Hey.' Brinley pulled Bellamy to a stop. 'Bellamy, I am sorry. Sometimes I don't think before I speak.'

'It's fine.' Bellamy brushed her off as they continued walking, all the while looking for Charlotte.

'What does Abby know anyway.' Brinley whispered. Bellamy appreciated her trying to make him feel better, though he'd never tell her that.

'If you were going to be floated, how did you end up here?'

Brinley snorted. 'My Dad convinced Jaha to send me to earth instead. Atleast that's what I assume happened. I don't know, he didn't say much to me.'

'So you got your ass hauled onto the drop ship, and just happened to have a gun?'

Brinley raised an eyebrow. 'You don't seriously think I let them take me out of my cell without a fight?' Her words got a small laugh out of Bellamy and Brinley felt a small smile form on her face at the unfamiliar sound.

'If you thought you were going to be floated, why steal a gun? Surely even you weren't stupid enough to think you could take them all on.'

Brinley stayed quiet.

'What? Nothing to say?'

'I wasn't going to let them kill me. I was going out on my own terms, with a literal bang, if you catch my drift.'

Bellamy felt a shiver go down his spine at her words. 'You've got guts, I'll give you that much.'

Brinley opened her mouth to reply when she saw movement. 'Hey, did you see that?'

Bellamy was instantly on the look out, hearing footsteps.

Bellamy started running, Brinley right behind him.

A high-pitched scream echoed around them as Bellamy grabbed Charlotte from behind.

'Shh, shh!' Bellamy put a hand over Charlotte's mouth as he held her.

'Charlotte! You can't hide forever! Don't worry, we won't hurt you.' Brinley heard Murphy's voice much closer than it had been previously, obviously having heard Charlotte's scream.

Bellamy started dragging Charlotte away. 'Let me go!' she yelled.

'I'm trying – hey, hey. I'm trying to help you.' Charlotte was struggling against Bellamy.

'I'm not your sister, just stop helping me!' She screamed.

Bellamy looked shocked and Brinley jumped in. 'He wants to help you, Charlotte, listen to him.'

'Why? You said it yourself, murderers own up to what they've done! That's what I'm doing!'

Brinley swallowed. 'I was angry Charlotte, okay. Giving yourself to Murphy isn't the way to go about it.'

'It's the right thing to do.' Charlotte had tears in her eyes.

'Giving up isn't honourable, Charlotte. It makes you weak.'

Charlotte frowned and Brinley thought she might have finally gotten through to her before Charlotte took of again as Bellamy reached for her. 'I'm over here!' She screamed, her voice breaking.

'Are you trying to us killed?' Bellamy asked as he tried to grab her as Charlotte pushed him away.

'Just go, okay? I'm the one they want.'

'Okay, Charlotte, listen to me. I won't leave you.' Bellamy lowered himself to her level, forcing her to look at him.

'We won't leave you.' Brinley stood beside Bellamy.

'Please Bellamy, Brinley.' Charlotte made a break for it again but this time Bellamy was prepared as she grabbed her arm, throwing her over his shoulder.

'I'm over here! Murphy! I'm over here!' She continued to scream.

'Charlotte, shut up. You're going to get yourself killed!' Brinley hissed.

'Shh! Both of you be quiet!' Bellamy whispered.

'Come on out Charlotte! Come on out!' Brinley could see lit torches coming towards them.

'No!' No! Murphy!' Charlotte screamed.

'Charlotte!'

'Put me down!' Charlotte begged Bellamy.

'Charlotte!'

Bellamy finally gave in as he put Charlotte down. Brinley cussed seeing the edge of the cliff before them. They were trapped.

'Damn it.' Bellamy's voice broke.

'Bellamy!' Murphy had finally caught them.

'You cannot fight all of us, give her up.'

'Maybe not, but I'll guarantee I'll take a few of you with me.'

Murphy caught Brinley's eye. 'What, not happy to see me?'

'Murphy, stop it.' Brinley frowned.

'Bellamy! Stop.' Clarke and Finn appeared behind Murphy.

'This has gone too far.' Clarke spoke to Murphy. 'Just calm down, we'll talk about this.' Clarke pleaded.

'I'm sick of listening to you talk!' Murphy pulled a knife, holding it to Clarke's throat.

'Let her go.' Finn stepped towards Murphy.

'I will slit her throat.' Murphy warned, an empty threat.

'No please, please don't hurt her.' Charlotte's voice was strong despite the terror on her face.

'Don't hurt her? Ok, I'll make you a deal, you come with me right now, I will let her go.'

'Don't do it Charlotte!' Clarke called out.

Bellamy pushed Charlotte back as she stepped forward. 'No! No! I have to!'

'Charlotte, no. He won't hurt her.' Brinley whispered to the girl, who ignored her words. 'Charlotte listen to me, he won't hurt you, and he won't hurt Clarke-'

'Murphy, this is not happening!' Bellamy yelled.

'Murphy! Games over, this isn't funny anymore!' Brinley yelled, seeing the amusement and anger on Bellamy's face.

'I can't let any of you get hurt anymore. Not because of me, not after what I did.' Charlotte looked to the ground as she spoke and Brinley had a horrible feeling Murphy's game was about to go wrong.

'Charlotte!' Clarke yelled.

Both Brinley and Bellamy jumped forward to pull the girl back, but they were milliseconds to late as Charlotte jumped, falling towards certain death without another sound.

'No!' Bellamy yelled.

'Oh my god.' Brinley whispered. Murphy's game had become deadly in seconds, and now another one of their own was dead.

'No!' Clarke began crying as Murphy let her go in shock, Finn stood as though in a daze beside her.

Brinley looked behind her while Bellamy continued to stare into the dark abyss below them. Murphy looked at her, panic and guilt written all over his face. 'Brin...' He gasped.

'Murphy, I told you to stop.' She whispered. Her words bought Bellamy out of his shock as he rounded on Murphy.

'Bellamy –' Murphy began, fright and regret all over his face.

Bellamy yelled angrily before tackling Murphy, delivering blow after blow to his face.

'Bellamy stop, you'll kill him!' Brinley came up behind Bellamy trying to pull him away but Bellamy was stronger as his constant movements shook her off.

'No! Bellamy, he didn't want this-' She screamed as Finn held her in place, stopping her from getting herself hurt trying to help her friend.

Finn, seeing the look on Brinley and Clarke's faces, pulled Bellamy back.

'Get off me!' Bellamy yelled, trying to fight Finn off. 'He deserves to die!'

Brinley wasted no time going to Murphy, collapsing beside him on the cold ground, using her sleeve to wipe some of the blood from his face.

'No!' Clarke stood in front of Bellamy. 'We don't decide who lives and dies. Not down here!'

'So help me god if you say the people have a right to decide –'

'No, no. I was wrong before okay, you were right. Sometimes it's dangerous to tell people the truth. But if we're gonna survive down here, we can't just live by whatever the hell we want. We need rules.'

'And who makes those rules, huh? You?' Bellamy looked distressed as he ran a hand over his face.

'For now we make the rules, okay?'

'So what then? We just take him back and pretend like it never happened?' Bellamy gestured to Murphy who had an arm around Brinley, breathing heavily.

'No! We banish him.'

Brinley looked up at Clarke's words. 'No. No fucking way, that's not happening!' She yelled, clutching Murphy's jacket.

'Brinley – ' Clarke started.

'No, you two had him hanged today, for nothing. Isn't that punishment enough?'

'He killed Charlotte-' Bellamy started angrily.

'And she killed Wells! He didn't mean for this to happen-'

'Brin, stop.' Murphy spoke quietly.

'No. This isn't fair-'

'Get up.' Bellamy advanced on Murphy, grabbing him roughly and dragging him to the edge of the cliff.

'Bellamy no!' Brinley yelled as Clarke moved to stop Bellamy.

'If I ever catch you near camp, we'll be back here. Understand?' Murphy nodded. 'As for the four of you, you can come back and follow me, or go off with him to die. Your choice.' Murphy's companions nodded as Bellamy threw Murphy down.

Brinley collapsed next to him.

'Brinley, come on.' Clarke whispered, laying a hand on the girls shoulder. Brinley shook it off.

'No. I'm staying here.' She said firmly. Not glancing at Clarke.

Murphy looked at her. 'Brinley...'

'No. We've always had each other's backs, from the moment we met. That's not changing now.' Brinley's voice was sharp.

'You'll die out here.'

'And you won't?' Brinley challenged.

'I'll be fine.' Murphy shook his head.

'Come on, sweetheart.' Bellamy uttered impatiently.

'I said no.'

'Hey, Brin?'

Brinley turned back to Murphy. 'What?'

'Don't look for me.' Murphy's tone suggested he was bored but Brinley could see the emotional turmoil in his eyes.

'What-'

'Take her.' Murphy nodded at Finn, who passed Murphy a knife, pity all over his face.

'What – No.' Brinley gasped. 'John, no' She whispered as he picked himself up, stepping back from her.

Finn picked her up, wincing as Brinley kicked him as she struggled.

'No, Finn! Stop, please!' Finn struggled to hold onto her and Bellamy sighed tiredly as he grabbed her waist, slinging her over his shoulder as he had done to Charlotte, hours earlier.

Brinley pounded her fists against his back. 'Put me down, oh my god. No!'

Bellamy kept walking.

As the glow of their camp eventually came into view the fight left Brinley. 'Please put me down.'

Bellamy sighed, finally relenting as they reached the camp walls.

'I had to do it, surely you can understand that.' Bellamy's voice was low and rough as he spoke to Brinley.

'You don't understand.' Her eyes widened as something occurred to her. 'Because Octavia didn't tell you-'

'Tell me what?'

'Murphy wasn't going to hurt Charlotte.' Brinley gasped.

'How can you say that, how can you defend him? He was punishing her because he was hung for her crime!' Bellamy yelled.

'He wasn't punishing Charlotte, he was punishing you Bellamy!' Brinley spat as she pulled away from Bellamy, standing as far away from him as she could, missing the wide-eyed regretful look on Bellamy's tired face.

Everyone stared as they walked in, noting the tired looks on their faces and the two missing people.

Brinley ignored them all, missing the concerned look Octavia shot her as she noticed the blank look on the brunette's face. Brinley made her way to her tent, not even noticing the path that the others automatically cleared for her. She dropped onto her bed, staring into space.

'What happened?' Someone called out as Bellamy and Clarke stood near the campfire.

'Things are going to change around here. We have decided that we need rules, and punishments for those that break them.' Bellamy began sternly. 'Down here, we take care of each other.'

Brinley tuned most of it out as best she could, but the end of their speech drifted to Brinley's ears.

'... And that's why we decided to banish Murphy.'

'Anyone got a problem with that?'

Brinley noted the silence that followed Bellamy's words and her strong resolve crumbled as she gasped in huge breaths of air, feeling suffocated by the crushing guilt and sadness that plagued her.

In the span of a week, she'd killed Atom, Wells and Charlotte had died, she was no longer on any sort of good terms with Clarke and Octavia, and now Murphy was gone too. Everything she touched seemed to fall apart.

Bellamy left the campers whispering amongst themselves as he made his way to his tent, exhausted from the day. He glanced at the tent he knew Murphy and Brinley had been sharing, his feet stopping beside it as he heard light whimpers coming from inside.

Brinley let herself cry, rivers of tears falling down her cheeks in a constant stream. She was tired, so tired of being strong for everyone, and now she had no one left to be strong for. They were all gone and here, in the privacy of the tent, she allowed herself to fully accept every emotion and thought she'd been pushing away.

Bellamy swallowed the lump in his own throat as he listened to the usually unbreakable girl break and shatter into a million tiny pieces. He almost went inside to check on her, to tell her that it'd be fine, because if she couldn't pull herself together – how could he? He almost did it.

Almost.

Instead, he turned and entered his own tent, and just as Brinley had, he let his emotions swallow him whole. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209K 6.2K 72
"How you holding up?" "You know. Just stuck in here." "Just one more day and I won't have to worry about your damn sarcasm." "Be quiet, you love m...
95.6K 1.6K 41
BOOK 1 OF ?? "Get down. Get down!" Finn said to all of us while we all hide behind a huge rock. We kept hearing noises around the forest like people...
36.4K 1K 105
97 years ago, the world ended. It didn't get better after that. There was no rainbow, no olive branch. The flood of destruction would not simply evap...
79.9K 2.4K 37
She wasn't even supposed to be on the dropship going down to Earth. As the youngest zero-g mechanic on the ark (as well as an engineer but she wouldn...