The Rebellious Lady Fallon: H...

By Sinaidkincaid16

Lady Fallon Brightmore secretly thought the Earl of Hampton, Braeden Kerrich, rather dashing. But at their f... More

SYNOPSIS
PROLOGUE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue

Chapter 15

117K 3.2K 187
By Sinaidkincaid16

'Why would I not? What else do I have to lose to you?' she challenged, her eyes locking with his.

One eyebrow arched enquiringly, as he none too gently guided her just outside the balcony doors, 'and yet I had been notably informed you had surrendered your virtue two summers ago,' he reminded her in her ear.

Fallon's cheeked turned crimson. Now that Braeden had lain with her, he knew the truth, that there was none before him.

'And what of Lady Abigail?' She demanded.

Braeden smiled pleasurably. 'She will be waiting for me when I return,' he answered smugly.

How she hated his arrogance, yet she could not deny her attraction to him, nor could she deny herself any opportunity to be with him, even if they were just stolen moments with him.

'What, no sharp rejoinder?' he taunted, placing her hand on his arm, as they walked in the garden.

'I'm conserving my energy, for when it's required,' she tossed.

Braeden laughed softly. He touched his free hand to her palm that was ever so lightly holding onto his arm. 'I wanted to know how you are faring Fallon, since the incident with Baxendale.'

Her eyes flew to his. Luckily the moon shed enough light. She could see genuine concern in his eyes. He was unsmiling now, awaiting her response.

She looked away. 'I am better now,' she replied. 'Earlier during the week, I was reluctant to go out anywhere ___.'

Fallon felt the tension in Braeden's arm. He drank in a deep breath.

'But I am determined that Chilton will not put fear in me,' she spoke on determinedly. 'I refuse to stay locked up indoors as if I am being punished,' she vowed.

'Bravo. That's my girl,' he smiled, patting her hand on his arm.

Fallon stopped walking. She turned angrily to face him. 'I am not your girl,' she hissed.

'Fallon,' he groaned softly, 'must you seek every opportunity for us to fight?'

She kept her head lowered. She did not like this soft, passionate tone of his voice. Why wasn't he angry and arguing back with her? She liked it better when they were crossing swords.

'I was just concerned for your well- being,' he murmured in that same seductive tone.

'I am fine ___ thank you,' she stammered.

'Good,' he smiled. 'Baxendale will not come near you ever again, that I promise my lady.'

'What have you done with him?' She whispered. 'He has not been seen about since ___ since,' she left her sentence unfinished.

'Let's just say I've reminded him of his station,' Braeden answered in a quiet, yet dangerous whisper.

Fallon stared into Braeden's face, not really surprised that it reflected neither fear nor favour for none, never mind that Baxendale was of the highest rank.

'Thank you for coming to my rescue that night,' she whispered.

'And yet you still walk out into the night with a dangerous rake who should be executed,' he teased with a smile.

Fallon laughed uncomfortably. She could recall quite clearly the dinner conversation at Lady Parsnips, where she had rather vocally argued in favour of capital punishment and that rakes should be executed. 'I did not say ___ you should be executed,' she replied guiltily.

'No?' his eyes mocked. 'I thought by inference I was being accused of being a rake and should subsequently face execution.'

Her cheeks coloured profusely. 'I do not favour capital punishment, neither do I ___.'

She wanted to say she did not wish him to be executed, but such an indictment, would be much too incriminating evidence against her.

'Fallon,' he uttered in a guttural groan, 'you do test my self- control, my lady.'

They were in full view of other guests, where they stood. He could hardly even touch her inappropriately. 'Alas, as host, I should not neglect the rest of my guests. Let us return inside, shall we?'

You mean you wish to return to Lady Abigail

Again he took her hand, placed it on his arm and led her back inside to where her parents were.

'Fallon?' He stopped midway, before reaching her parents.

'Yes?' Her head lifted, her blue eyes held his grey ones expectantly.

'I will pick you up at eleven tomorrow morning. We are going riding.'

Her eyes narrowed, even though she felt a swell of delight at the opportunity to be with him again tomorrow morning. 'It is polite to ask,' she hissed. 'What makes you think I will say yes?'

'It is why I did not ask. Do not be late,' he cautioned. A smile broadened across his face, but it not reach his eyes as he led her to her folks.

'You are contemptible,' she murmured under her breath, but she made sure he heard her.

'Always at your service, my lady,' he did not wait for Fallon's response, instead, he placed his arm on the baron's shoulder and engaged him in conversation.

'You are enjoying the ball dear?' The baroness smiled at Fallon.

The ball was splendid. Braeden had been good company ... up until his demand that she would go riding with him the following morning. Her heart thumped excitedly in anticipation of that event tomorrow. It could not come soon enough. Fallon smiled at her mother.

'Yes mama, I am enjoying the evening. I am going to get a glass of punch, would you like a drink?'

'No thank you dear, go ahead,' her mother nodded approval.

Fallon arose at seven. She was wide awake and awaited eleven o clock with heightened fervor. She could hardly fall asleep the previous night. She lay awake thinking of Braeden, about their restrained conversation in his garden. He had longed to touch her and she longed even more to be in his arms. If only Braeden could have kissed her...perhaps today. She hoped he arrived in a closed carriage.

'My lady, what are you doing up so early?' Louis walked in with Fallon's hot chocolate.

'Morning Louis,' she smiled happily, reaching out for her chocolate. 'Thank you. It is a lovely day, is it not? The sun is shining and the sky is such a bright, bright blue.'

Louis laughed. 'You are more beautiful than the bright, sunny sky Lady Fallon. It is lovely to see you so happy and cheerful.'

Fallon smiled shyly. 'I am going riding with the Earl of Hampton this morning,' she announced.

'Is that why you have a spring in your step?' Louis laughed again. 'Should I take out your riding habit then?'

'Yes,' Fallon gushed, 'my prettiest riding dress please.'

Louis smiled at her lady adoringly. 'You care much for him, do you not, my lady?'

'Yes,' Fallon finally confessed. 'I do.'

Louis nodded. 'He is a good man. He will take care of you.'

Fallon's eyes became sad. 'I ___ don't think I have a future with him. He has not offered ___ besides, it seems he and Lady Abigail are rather close.'

'If that is so, then why is he going riding with you?'

Fallon shrugged. 'I do not know. He is not the faithful kind. It's why I will decline if he offers his hand.'

Louis laughed.

'What's so funny?' Fallon demanded.

'Oh he will ask. And you will be saying yes,' Louis prophesied.

'I will not,' Fallon denied hotly.

'Then pray tell me why do you look as happy as a lark today?'

'I ___ told you it's a beautiful day.'

'I was not born yesterday my lady. I've seen a few more summers than you and I know you better than your own mama,' she whispered the last bit.

Fallon looked away. 'Is there hot water for me?' She walked away.

'I shall bring up two jugs now,' Louis held up two dresses and placed the one she liked more on the bed for Fallon. 'Do hurry with your bath, so I can make a pretty hair style for you, my lady.'

'Fallon, you are certainly hungry this morning?' The baroness laughed, seeing her younger daughter eating with a fair amount of gusto.

Fallon laughed happily. 'Riding makes me hungry mama and I don't know how far the earl and I will ride.'

The baroness was happy to see her younger daughter back to her normal self again. She had been concerned the last week when all Fallon did was sit near the window and stare outside or otherwise spend the entire day in her father's library.

'Should I ask cook to pack a basket of refreshments for you then?' The baroness enquired.

Fallon looked up at her mother. What if Braeden had no desire to sit out in the open and share refreshments with her? What if he did not want to spend too long with her?

'It is okay mama. I shall be fine, until I return,' she smiled.

At precisely eleven hundred hours, Fallon heard the knocker. She held her breath. Her heart pumped wildly out of control. She sat patiently in the drawing room, awaiting the announcement from the footman.

'The Earl of Hampton for you, Lady Fallon,' he finally announced.

Fallon was already on her feet staring at her visitor. He looked rather debonair in his finest riding habit. His coat hung perfectly on his broad shoulders. He smiled at Fallon briefly before he reached out his hands to the baroness.

'Good morning baroness. You look lovely as always.'

'Thank you Lord Hampton,' she accepted graciously. 'Baron Fulham apologizes. He is busy in the stable with a sick mare, unless you wish to greet him there.'

Braeden smilled. 'Perhaps I ___.'

'No,' Fallon answered for Braeden. 'We are ready to leave.'

'Fallon! It's not your place to speak for the earl.'

Braeden laughed. He walked to Fallon, lifted her hand and because her mother was watching, he had to contend with kissing her gloved palm.

'Good morning Lady Fallon. Your gown looks beautiful on you,' he admired the riding gown in a soft blue shade. It enhanced her beautiful eyes.

'Good morning,' she got out in a surprisingly controlled tone.

Braeden turned and addressed the baroness with a charming smile. 'I was going to suggest, perhaps when we return I could have tea with Baron Fulham.'

'I will arrange it accordingly,' the baroness nodded.

'Shall we?' Braeden extended his arm to Fallon.

'Yes,' she reached for her bonnet and walked out with him.

'Were you really going to suggest tea with papa?'

'I did not know you were that enthusiastic for my company,' he teased.

She narrowed her eyes. 'I wanted to keep you away from papa. When you two start talking, you forget everybody else and I am looking forward to riding.'

'And here I was thinking it was my delightful company you desired,' he grinned.

Fallon stopped as she saw his vehicle. 'You arrived with an open carriage?' She could not keep the disappointment out of her voice.

'It's a beautiful sunny day with no prediction of rain. I thought you would like that.'

Fallon saw he arrived alone with no grooms. She looked up into his eyes and softened her words with a smile. 'I want to sit in front with you. Let Louis sit in the back.'

His eyes widened in surprise. He considered her comments in silence for a few breathless moments. 'Are you sure? You will be much more comfortable in the soft seats at the back.'

'I am sure,' she walked purposefully to the front awaiting him to lift her into her seat.

'You look so beautiful today,' he whispered in her ear as he took his time hoisting her into the carriage.

Fallon smiled. She did not respond, though she was glad he appreciated the special care she took to dress up for him today.

When Braeden had cautiously steered the carriage through the streets and it was quieter, Fallon spoke. 'I wish we could ride the horses instead of being in the carriage,' she smiled.

Braeden laughed. 'You do like being in control, don't you my lady,' he reached out and touched her wrist.

'On a horse yes,' she grinned.

'I could unhitch the carriage and we could race,' he challenged.

He was an expert rider. His stallions were the finest horseflesh in the ton. There was no way she would ever beat him.

Fallon laughed. 'You know I'm no match for your stal___.'

She stopped, as Braeden pointed his stick to the two horses.

'Mares___ both mares,' Fallon exclaimed enthusiastically. She clapped her hands delightedly. She could hold her own on a mare, thank you very much if the playing field was even. 'Yes, yes,' she exclaimed passionately. 'You're on.'

'That's my girl,' he laughed loudly.

Her  eyes darted to his awkwardly. 'I'm not your girl,' she murmured.

'You're mine Fallon, never ever forget that,' he whispered to her.

Her heart pounded wildly against her chest. She looked away, unable to respond with anything intelligent. Did he presume she was his, because he took her innocence?

'Why are your cheeks flushed, my lady,' he teased softly.

'Be quiet. The sun is too hot.'

'Indeed,' he laughed, boldly talking her hand in his. She liked his warm, strong hand clasped to hers. They rode companionably, enjoying the warm weather and fresh air.

'You are not in a hurry to return, are you Fallon?'

'Why?' She asked.

'After I beat you in our race. I should like for us to sit by the river and have some refreshments.'

'"Beat me?"' She questioned, though she delighted in his request for them to sit down and have refreshments. She could not wait. She hoped there would be the opportunity for them to kiss. She wanted desperately to kiss Braeden.

He laughed. 'Surely you know it, my lady. There shall be no chivalry. I am going to trounce you.' He warned.

'I think not, my lord. I am accomplished on a mare.'

'I like your confidence, my lady and I look forward to consoling you when you lose,' he whispered.

'It is I that is going to console you when I beat you,' she vowed.

'Is that a subtle hint that I should lose and look forward to a reward?'

'I am going to win,' she promised and when I do, I'm going to ____ kiss you,' she shyly promised.

Braeden turned and gazed into her face, temporarily forgetting he was controlling the horses. He blinked, shook his head. Fallon quickly reached out and straightened the reins.

'That has never happened to me before,' he grinned devilishly.

'That you lost control of your horses or that a lady kissed you?' She enquired mischievously.

'Both,' he laughed. 'I like being in control, just like you Fallon.'

'Clearly we have a problem then,' she grinned.

He smiled, his eyes locked on hers. 'Take of your bonnet, my lady and untie your hair.'

Fallon stopped smiling. She looked down. 'Untied hair is not suitable for an open carriage,' she murmured, not giving into his request.

'It's a good thing then that we've arrived.' He stopped the horses.

Fallon looked up and saw they were already inside the park. Braeden had even found an excellent spot in the shade for the carriage. She smiled. So engrossed was she in their riveting conversation, she had not realized they were already inside the park. Time flies when you are having fun. And indeed it was fun, being with Braeden, riding with him. It delighted her that they did not need to speak of mundane topics like the weather and discuss the social calendar. He was certainly a charismatic gentleman and everything about him was an art form; his eyes, his lips, his kisses, his speech... making love.

Fallon watched Braeden admiringly as he effortlessly separated the horses from the carriage. He adjusted the saddle and handed the reins to Fallon. She smiled, accepting his offer to help her mount. Braeden hopped on his mare and nodded to Fallon.

'Ready when you are, my lady,' he tipped his hat.

'Go,' Fallon laughed, unfairly taking off at high speed, without waiting to see if Braeden was ready. Her mare sped up the hillside. Braeden was quite content to ride behind her. He was hardly exerting his horse, not event at half its strength. He smiled watching her practised handling of his mare, her shoulders upright, her head slightly dipped, her hands proficiently in control of the reins. He could watch her all day.

Fallon turned the head of her mare, as she raced on ahead of Braeden. She could taste victory. Her skirts were flying around, revealing milk white shapely ankles. Her hair became unpinned, falling from beneath her hat. Her heart was pumping wildly, in rhythm with her horse's galloping hooves.

Braeden's eyes hurriedly scanned the area around them. He was pleased it was quiet, no one about in the vicinity. It afforded a certain amount of privacy, if one desired it. And he had painstakingly sought out the area the previous day. He'd driven on horseback here on his stallion, scouted the length and breadth of the area, and had nodded satisfactorily to himself when he happened upon this delightful spot. Two willow trees with their wide trunks almost touching each other, their weeping branches provided all the privacy he desired....perfect.

He gently pushed Fallon between the two bulky willow branches. Its wide trunks proving all the discreet privacy he required. He pulled her to him in spite of the presence of her maid, It was highly likely that the maid was aware of their liaison.

Fallon laughed softly at his obvious intent. 'Did you lose then, to claim your reward?' She lifted her hands, lightly placing them around his upper arms.

'Did you allow me to win, so I could take my just reward?' He murmured, lowering his head closer to her face.

Fallon held her breath. Her face grew hot. Her fingers tightened around his arms, measuring his well- toned, muscles. She closed her eyes, lifting her lips to him. Braeden's arms crushed her. His mouth plundered hers. Her arms snaked around his neck. She clung to him, wild with molten desire, delighting in his ravishing. She never wanted him to stop. She wanted to stay in his arms forever... but she sensed him holding back. Then he lifted his head, gently taking a step back.

'What's the matter?' She whispered; her arms still around his neck.

He sighed heavily. If he did not stop now, he would not be able to and Fallon's maid was nearby, tactfully allowing them a little privacy.

'Not here Fallon,' he smiled into her eyes, his fingers gently brushed her cheek. 'Let us walk shall we?' He offered her his arm.

'I don't want to,' she pleaded, much preferring to stay where she was in his arms...kissing him.

''Fallon,' he groaned huskily. 'I will get the refreshments from the carriage.'

Fallon's heart sank. 'I'm not hungry,' she mumbled sulkily. He continued walking.

Braeden spread out a blanket close to the bank of the river. He asked Louis to assist with the basket of refreshments. Not trusting himself to be alone with Fallon, he invited Louis to take refreshments with them. She was surprised at the offer, but wisely nodded without comment, discreetly taking her place at the far side of where Fallon and Braeden would take their light luncheon.

Fallon dropped onto the blanket. She peeked into Braeden's food basket, helped herself to an apple and bit into it hungrily.

'My lord, why don't you arrange a race through the countryside?' Fallon asked, conversationally. She seemed to have forgotten her earlier sulking at the willow trees.

'"A race?'" He laughed.

'Two races actually,' Fallon smiled, one for the gentlemen and one for the ladies.'

'I suppose that could be fun,' Braeden nodded, 'although not through the country, perhaps we can reduce the distance,' he smiled.

'Yes,' Fallon liked the idea the more she thought about it. 'Make it very soon,' she urged.

'I will start the planning as soon as I return home,' he grinned. 'Now how about I serve you some of this sumptuous nourishment?' he offered.

'Thank you,' she accepted a plate.

After their meal, Braeden invited her to walk down to the river. Fallon removed her slippers and dipped her feet into the cool, refreshing water.

'You have beautiful feet,' Braeden complimented, admiringly.

'You should look the other way,' she scolded.

Braeden laughed heartily. He lowered his head close to hers, his lips briefly pressed to her temple. 'I've seen and delighted in more than just your feet,' he murmured hoarsely.

Fallon gasped. 'You are truly not a gentleman,' she hissed, hastily putting her slippers on again. 'We should head back home.'

Braeden could not argue. They had had a wonderful time. More than three hours had passed surprisingly. He was reluctant to end their day, but he supposed he needed to for her sake.

'Thank you Fallon, I had a wonderful time,' he helped her into the carriage again.

Fallon had enjoyed their time together immensely as well. 'Thank you, my lord,' she acknowledged, especially their stolen moments by the willow trees.

Braeden hopped back in next to her. He looked into her eyes. 'Perhaps we should do it again soon,' he held her hands in his, before he took control of the reins.

'Perhaps not,' she jerked her hands out of his, angry, disappointed that the intimacy she had craved had been so short-lived.

Braeden heaved a heavy breath. He understood her frustration. Perhaps he should have engineered a more private arrangement. He was certainly as frustrated as she was. He would have to create an opportunity for them to be together soon. Right now he could hardly think. He would sleep over it and come tomorrow morning, he would have the solution. Yes.

'My lady, you will be in my arms again soon. I promise.'

Fallon dragged her eyes back to his. She stared into his eyes for a long moment. She wanted to believe him, but she dare not get her hopes up. Fallon jerked on the reins, forcing the horses to relinquish the cud they had been chewing on. She laughed as Braeden momentarily swayed, before he managed to control the reins again. She did not look his way, but she could tell a broad grin was plastered stupidly on his handsome face...irresistible face

                    -end chapter fifteen-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 91 26
Running away from something, or someone- she couldn't quite remember-, Raven was unknowingly aided by the beta of the Bloodrose pack. He led her to t...
34.9K 986 24
* Sutton's breath caught, almost like the room was suffocating her and the most intoxicating amazing smell flooded her nose the room became smaller w...
1.3K 57 32
On the Island of Niapachad, there are rumors and mystery that would bring you back in time as the inhabitants of this island is a blast from the past...
115K 3.1K 31
The Other Woman. It was time for Nina Blair to reflect on her life, to look back on every decision, mistake, friendship, and fallout and of course h...