War of Hearts 》Bellamy Blake

By UpInFlames_

At 15, Brinley Kane was locked up. At 18, she was sent to the ground. Brinley Kane had accepted her inev... More

P R O L O G U E
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
T E N
E L E V E N
P L A Y L I S T
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
B O N U S
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y O N E
T W E N T Y T W O
T W E N T Y T H R E E
T W E N T Y F O U R
PART II: Game of Survival
1 - White Noise
2 - Escape
3 - Allies
4 - Reunions
5 - Metamorphosis
G A M E O F S U R V I V A L
6 - Spacewalker
7 - Consequences
8 - Into The Unknown
9 - Survival
Playlist
10 - Tag, You're It
11 - Knocking on Heaven's Door
C O N T R O L
PART III: C O N T R O L
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
T H E F A L L O U T
F A L L O U T (Playlist/Excerpt)
Chapter One: Expiration Date
Chapter Two: Truce
Chapter Three: Playing God
Chapter Four: Past // Present

N I N E

16.9K 482 422
By UpInFlames_

Brinley sat beside Wells freshly covered grave silently. Monty stood by the trees not far away, watching Brinley silently. Bellamy had dragged him out here after he had called Murphy away from Brinley for whatever reason. Monty didn't mind, he thought the older girl needed a friend more than she let on.

Brinley felt numb. The anger had ebbed away as she dug the hole and watched Bellamy and Murphy move Wells body. She had dirt on her face but she didn't care.

'Hey Monty?' She called, breaking the silence that had settled between the two.

'Yeah?' Monty called back, walking closer hesitantly.

'Figured out a way to make moonshine yet?'

Monty frowned though she couldn't see him. 'How do you know about that?'

'Your moonshine is legendary.' Though her words were kind, no smile covered her face as she teased the dark headed boy.

'Once Jasper and I work it out, you'll be the first to get some.'

A small smile broke across Brinley's face much to Monty's happiness.

The smile disappeared as she heard Clarke and Finn approaching.

'Guess it's time to go then.' Brinley murmured, picking up her discarded jacket and shirt. As she dug the sun had risen to its highest point and she'd gotten hot, so she stripped to her singlet and left her other possessions with Monty.

Clarke stopped short at the sight of Brinley and Monty but Brinley didn't even glance at the two as her and Monty passed them.

'Brin...' Clarke reached for Brinley's arm but Brinley jerked it out of her reach violently.

'Don't. Don't even bother.' Her voice was void of any type of emotion and she didn't even glance at Clarke as she passed.

Brinley and Monty walked in companionable silence until they reached the drop ship. 'You coming in?'

Brinley shook her head. 'Nah, thanks for staying with me.'

'Anytime, we're friends now, okay?' Monty smiled at her as he walked away.

Brinley made her way to her tent silently, ignoring the stares she was receiving from her curious campmates.

Without a second thought Brinley made her way to the river her and Octavia had discovered near the butterfly field. It was about a half hour walk and Brinley knew she shouldn't be going out alone but at that moment she simply didn't care.

She successfully made it to the stream without incident and she wasted no time before stripping down and jumping in. The water was warm from the sun and Brinley hurriedly scrubbed the dirt from her body, rinsing her hair out as best she could.

Once she was done she made her way to the top of the rocks, finding the flattest one before lying down, allowing herself to air dry. The sun dipped lower in the sky and she sighed, knowing she had to head back to camp before dark.

She redressed quickly, making her way back.

'Where were you?'

The voice startled her as she made her way towards her tent; the sun had begun to set behind her. She turned around to face Murphy, who was standing beside a stern faced Bellamy.

'Went for a walk.' She shrugged.

'You shouldn't be out there alone.'

'I can take care of myself.'

'So could Wells, the grounders would snap you in half.' Brinley's face-hardened at the mention of Wells, but she knew Bellamy hadn't meant it to be cruel so she ignored it. Mostly.

'Wouldn't that just solve all your problems. Should I start watching my back?' She raised an eyebrow at Bellamy, who simply rolled his eyes at her.

'You look like shit.' Murphy snickered and Bellamy waited for Brinley to snap a crude remark at him but to his surprise she just smirked at her friend.

'Like you look any better?' Brinley cocked her head as Murphy rolled his eyes.

'Go get some sleep, Kane.'

'Don't tell me what to do, John.'

Murphy mumbled something that sounded suspiciously like fuck off before he noticed someone slacking on their job and he quickly made his way to them gleefully, only too happy to tell them off as glanced at Brinley once more as he left.

Brinley made to walk away but Bellamy stopped her. 'Next time, take someone with you.' He ordered.

'Yes, sir.' She muttered mockingly as she turned towards the drop ship.

Bellamy rolled his eyes, something that was becoming habit around the younger girl.

Brinley made her way to the corner Monty had claimed as his own, and to Brinley's surprise Jasper was sitting beside him, still looking pale but alive, at least.

'Look who decided to grace up with his presence.' She commented as she made her way towards the two.

'Your concern is noted.' He snickered.

Brinley smiled slightly. 'It is good to see you awake, thought you were a goner for awhile there.'

'You and half the camp.' He rolled his eyes. 'No faith.'

'Can I sit?' She questioned.

'Go for it.' Monty nodded.

'What are you two doing?' She looked at the rough drawings in front of them.

'Trying to modify the moonshine recipe, and build a still.'

'What are you changing?'

'The stuff we usually use for a base isn't exactly accessible here, so from what we can remember, there's specific fruits we could use but-'

Brinley smirked. 'What about strawberries?'

Jasper and Monty looked at her as though she had grown two heads. 'What?'

'Could you use strawberries?'

'Well yeah but-' Jasper started.

'Unless you know where to-'

Brinley pulled her hand out of her pocket and opened her palm. The two boys stared at her.

'Oh my god.' Monty muttered looking at Jasper.

'You know what his means?' Jasper whispered.

'We're back in business baby!' The two high fived and Brinley giggled.

'There's more where these came from, like loads more.' She placed the strawberries on a piece of clean plastic they were using as a tray.

'I love you.' Jasper hugged Brinley, wincing as he moved too quickly.

'Slow down there Jasper, you'll hurt yourself again.'

Jasper grinned sheepishly.

'You two get onto that moonshine thing.' She winked as she stood up.

'Don't worry, we will.' The two grinned at her.

'Don't have too much fun.' She called as she walked away.

It had gotten dark in the time she'd been in the drop ship with Monty and Jasper. There was a huge fire going and Brinley looked longingly at it before shaking her head.

'Brinley?'

Brinley turned, the scowl on her face transforming into a smile as she realised it was Charlotte. 'Hey. What do you need?'

'Um...' Charlotte looked nervous. 'Is it true? You found the Chancellors son?'

Brinley kept her face blank at the odd question. Yeah, I did.'

'Oh.' Charlottes voice was small. 'Were you friends?'

'We were. Or used to be, it's complicated.'

Charlotte looked pale. 'You okay kid?' Brinley asked in concern.

'Yeah, I-I think so.'

'How those nightmares going? Slay those demons yet?' Brinley mocked Bellamy's words but Charlotte barely smiled.

'I think I did.'

'Good for you kid.' Brinley squeezed her shoulder gently as the girl smiled before walking away.

*****

Brinley tossed and turned most of the night, driving Murphy crazy. She wasn't able to get more than an hour or so of sleep, though she was thankful she got even that. When she got up the next morning it was still early, and the only other person walking around was Bellamy, who was wandering around the partially built wall they had begun mapping out the day before, the fear of death at the grounders hands making everyone work twice as hard and twice as long.

She made her way to the fire that, to her surprise, was still burning slightly. She sighed as the slight warmth kissed her skin.

'Rough night?'

She hadn't heard Bellamy come up behind her and she cussed as she turned to face him.

'You could say that.'

Bellamy nodded, tossing an apple core into the heat. It hissed and bubbled as the flame swallowed it.

'Where did you find apples?' She raised an eyebrow.

Bellamy smirked. 'That's my secret, sweetheart.'

'You don't feel like sharing with the rest of the class?' She asked sarcastically.

'Not particularly, no.'

'Shame, there could have been moonshine in it for you.'

Bellamy looked at her. 'Moonshine? Whose making it?'

'That's my secret, sweetheart.' She mocked and his eyes narrowed.

A beat of silence followed her words. 'Seriously though, did you sleep at all?' He questioned.

'Of course I did.' She snapped.

He held his hands up in mock surrender. 'Just asking.'

'How's this going to work? The fence?' She changed the subject quickly.

'We're going to build it up using the fallen trees here and here, and it's going to follow right round. We're going to install some type of gate between those two taller posts there.' Bellamy pointed at the areas he was talking about.

'Patrols?'

'Already ahead of you there, we started a schedule last night.'

'You should build runways along the fence, station someone up there to watch for any attacks.'

Bellamy looked at her in surprise. 'That's actually a decent idea.'

Brinley scoffed. 'Don't sound so surprised, it's insulting.'

Bellamy smirked. 'It's only an insult if you make it one.'

Brinley shook her head in amusement as she noticed Clarke storming up to the drop ship. 'Princess is in a mood.' She commented snarkily.

'And you had nothing to do with that after yesterday?' Bellamy asked.

Brinley scoffed. 'Me? Never. I'm going to see what's going on.'

'Have fun.' Bellamy tossed more wood onto the fire, the air was even cooler than it had been the day before and dark clouds swirled overhead.

'You aren't even the slightest bit curious?'

'Course I am, but there's a wall to be built.' Bellamy let out a shrill whistle and Brinley could hear people groaning. 'Alright, everybody up! We've got work to do.'

*****

Brinley was less than impressed to discover that all that had happened was Clarke deciding to take off her wristband, while Monty was able to ensure that it was still operational. She had been hoping for something more exciting.

Bellamy's whistle had worked and when Brinley exited the drop ship again, people were once again working on the wall, and right at the centre of it, was Murphy.

'You think the grounders are just going to sit around and wait for us to finish the wall? Maybe we should let the little girl do the lifting for you, huh?' Murphy was yelling at Connor, who had obviously overworked himself the day before.

'I just need some water, okay? Then I'll be fine.'

'Murphy, just get the guy some water.' Bellamy said, exasperated with Murphy's attitude. Brinley saw the look Murphy threw at Connor and knew instantly that trouble was brewing.

She smiled at Charlotte who waved at her as she approached.

'Hey, you got this?' Bellamy asked Charlotte, gesturing to the end of the tree that Connor had dropped.

Charlotte frowned, but moved towards the tree anyway.

'Hey.' Bellamy put his hand out. 'I'm just kidding.' He smiled at Charlotte as he picked up the tree, leaving a smiling Charlotte behind.

'What the hell is wrong with you Murphy!'

Brinley turned and saw Murphy snickering to himself as he zipped up the front of his pants.

'Seriously?' She muttered, rolling her eyes as she watched him.

'Look at you. You wanted a water break, now get back to work.'

Brinley could hear Octavia behind her, and she glanced over seeing her trying to persuade Jasper to leave the confines of the camp. Brinley assumed it hadn't gone well when not ten minutes later the two rushed back in, looking a little sick.

'You gonna help us, or are you going to just stand there?'

Brinley groaned as she turned to face Murphy who had three of his guys behind him, all grinning at her.

'Why, you going to piss on me too?'

Murphy's friends snickered.

'Only if you ask nicely.' Murphy smirked and Brinley huffed.

'Go order someone else around asshole.' She stuck her tongue out at him and he rolled his eyes at her, doing just that.

Brinley jumped as she felt a hand on her arm. 'Come with me, sweetheart.'

Bellamy tugged her away gently. 'What's going on?' Brinley questioned, noting the serious expression on his face. Bellamy sighed. 'Just follow me.' He released her arm.

It took Brinley a moment to realise that they were heading towards his tent. Bellamy held the tent open for her, motioning for her to go first. She entered and he followed her closely.

Inside, Jasper, Clarke and Octavia were already gathered, anxious looks on their faces as they stared at the table.

'What the hell is – oh my god.' Brinley spun around, her hand coming up to cover her mouth as she noticed the severed fingers and knife on the table. Bellamy, who was still behind her, grabbed her arm, sending her an apologetic look as he spun her around to face the others again.

'The knife was made out of metal from the drop ship.' Clarke spoke to Bellamy, her voice shaking slightly.

'What do you mean?' Octavia glanced at Brinley who was still staring at the table.

'Who else knows about this?' Bellamy crossed his arms.

'No one. We brought it straight here.' Octavia frowned as she answered her older brother.

'Clarke?'

'It means the grounders didn't kill Wells. It was one of us.' Clarke breathed.

'So, there's a murderer in the camp?' Jasper swallowed hard.

Brinley didn't miss the way Octavia's eyes darted to her and she tensed.

'There's more than one murderer in this camp. Hell you're standing in a tent with one right now. This isn't news.' Brinley's voice was hard as she glanced at Octavia who looked away from her.

'We need to keep it quiet.' Bellamy added.

Clarke looked at the knife again before making her way to exit the tent. Bellamy blocked her path swiftly. 'Get out of my way Bellamy.'

'Clarke, be smart about this. Look at what we've achieved... the wall, the patrols. Like it or not, thinking the Grounders killed Wells is good for us.' Bellamy tried persuading Clarke to see his point of view. She shook her head before he stopped speaking.

'Oh, good for you, you mean. What... keep people afraid and they'll work for you? Is that it?'

'Yeah.' Bellamy confirmed. 'That's it. But it's good for all of us. Fear of the Grounders is building that wall. And besides, what are you gonna do... just walk out there and ask the killer to step forward? You don't even know whose knife that is.' Bellamy scoffed.

Brinley peered curiously at the knife and her blood ran cold. No.

'Oh, really? J.M. John Murphy. The people have a right to know.'

Brinley could feel the eyes on her and she rapidly shook her head.

'No that's impossible! He wouldn't do that! You've got it all wrong.'

'Oh yeah? Then why was his knife with Wells' fingers? Maybe you don't know your bed buddy as well as you thought.' And with that, Clarke disappeared.

'He didn't fucking do it.' She screeched as she pushed past Bellamy, running towards Murphy, in the exact direction Clarke was heading.

'...It's my knife, where'd you find it?' Murphy frowned as he made to grab the knife from Clarke's hand.

'Where you dropped it after you killed Wells.' Brinley shoved her way through the watching crowd.

'Where I what? The grounders killed Wells, not me.' Murphy was confused and annoyed at he accusation.

'I know what you did, and you're gonna pay for it.' Clarke spat.

'Bellamy, you believe this crap?' Murphy looked at Bellamy wide-eyed. Bellamy crossed his arms, his face solemn.

'He didn't do it. Please, you have to believe me.' Brinley gripped Bellamy's arm tightly as she tried to make him listen to her as she drowned Clarke out.

'I didn't kill him then either.' Murphy rolled his eyes but Brinley could see the panic on his face as people began whispering amongst themselves.

'Tried to kill Jasper, too.' Octavia added and Brinley shot her a dark glare.

'What?' Jasper squeaked quietly from somewhere near her.

'Come on. This is ridiculous. I don't have to answer to you, I don't have to answer to anyone.' Murphy scoffed.

'Come again?' Bellamy called and Brinley cussed.

'Bellamy, look, I'm telling you, man. I didn't do this. Brinley, you know me. You know I wouldn't –'

'I know.' She swallowed. 'You didn't do it.' She spoke to the people watching. 'He was with me the whole fucking night.' She crossed her arms as people began whispering, but she didn't care.

'They found his fingers on the ground with your knife.'

Brinley's stomach dropped at Bellamy's words. His words showed that he didn't believe Murphy was innocent, and she knew that that was it. The rest of the hundred would follow their leader, and if he thought Murphy was guilty, then that was good enough for them.

'Is this the kind of society that we want? You say there should be no rules. Does that mean that we can kill each other without... without punishment?' Clarke addressed everyone watching.

'I already told you, I didn't kill anyone!'

Brinley began to make her way to Murphy but Bellamy's tight grip on her arm stopped her in her tracks.

'I say we float him.' Brinley recognized Connor's voice and she swore. No, he didn't do it. Cheers followed Connor's words.

'That's not what I'm saying!'

'Why not? He deserves to float, it's justice.'

'Revenge isn't justice you wanker!' Brinley screamed over the crowd.

'It's justice! Float him!' He started a chant that the others joined in on.

Everything happened so fast that Brinley didn't have time to think. Someone tripped Murphy as he lunged at Connor and the crowd quickly closed in as he tried to stumble to his feet.

'No! Get off him!' Brinley screamed. 'He's innocent!'

Brinley was trying her hardest to move through the crowd but everyone kept shoving her back, knowing she was defending Murphy. Somehow she ended up next to Octavia who look horrified.

'No.' Octavia whispered as she tried to make her way towards Murphy too, only to have Bellamy pull her back towards him.

'Murphy!' Brinley yelled as the delinquents held Murphy down, forcing one of the seatbelts in his mouth as a gag, and tying one around his hands.

'Let him go!' Clarke yelled only to be pushed back just as Brinley and Octavia had been.

Four guys quickly picked Murphy up, tossing him roughly down a small hill. One of the guys aimed a nasty blow at Murphy's face, snickering as his head snapped to the side. Brinley was shaking, but she was determined to get to Murphy.

Her heart stopped as she watched someone throw a rope over a tree branch, tying one end around Murphy's neck.

'You can't do this!' Clarke screamed, only to be pushed back by Connor.

Brinley finally fought her way closer to Murphy only to have Connor step in her way as well. 'Back off!' She growled. His eyes narrowed and he shoved her backwards.

She collided with Bellamy who steadied her automatically as he watched, strangely awed as they strung Murphy up.

'You can stop this! They'll listen to you!' Clarke pleaded with Bellamy who just stared at her.

'Come on, he didn't do this! Stop this please! He's all I have left!' Brinley pleaded. Bellamy looked at her and his expression softened briefly.

'Bellamy! You should do it. Bel – la – my' Connor began chanting and the others soon joined in.

'Bellamy! Bellamy! Bellamy...!'

'I saw you in the woods with Atom, I know you're not a killer!' Clarke sobbed as she hit his arm.

Brinley looked at Murphy who shook his head at Bellamy, his terrified eyes meeting Brinley's own.

'You don't know the guilt that comes from taking a life, please don't do this!' Brinley begged again. Bellamy's expression hardened as he made his way to Murphy.

'Don't, Bellamy!' Clarke grabbed Bellamy's arm and he promptly shoved her away. 'You can't do this Bellamy!''

Bellamy pushed Clarke away only to have Brinley rush at him. 'Stop it! Please, please don't kill him! He's innocent!'

Murphy began trying to talk around the gag; his voice muffled, yet by the tone of his voice Brinley could clearly tell he was terrified.

'No – Bellamy!' Brinley screamed as Bellamy kicked the crate out from under Murphy without a second glance. Bellamy's head shot up at the use of his given name. She had never called him Bellamy before, and it was clear on her face that it was a last ditch attempt to persuade him to stop; to not kill her best friend.

'No! Bellamy, how could you!' Clarke cried.

Brinley couldn't breathe, ironically enough. She wished desperately that it were her hanging instead of Murphy. Her body was shaking as she tried to pass Bellamy, who caught her before she could take two steps.

'This is on you, Princess! You should have kept your mouth shut!' He yelled at Clarke who looked horrified at the blame being placed on her.

'What the hell are you doing! Cut him down!' Finn was pushing his way through the crowd, watching Brinley struggling against Bellamy's hold. 'Charlotte, get out of here now! Get out of here! Get out of my way!' Connor pulled a knife on Finn as he tried to pass.

'Stop! Just stop okay!' Charlotte's scream managed to get the crowds attention. 'Murphy didn't kill Wells!' Charlotte's eyes drifted to Brinley, who immediately saw the guilt there. No fucking way.

'I did!' She finished, breathing hard.

'Oh my god!' Clarke pulled Bellamy's axe away from him, cutting the rope that held Murphy up.

Brinley rushed towards her friend, relief filling her body as he began gasping for air. 'Fuck, fucking hell...' She helped Murphy sit up, tugging at the rope around his neck and untying the binds that forced his silence.

Bellamy stared in shock at Charlotte, his whole expression slack. Brinley couldn't bring herself to look at the girl.

Murphy's breathing was heavy. 'Someone's going to pay for this.' 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 2.9K 95
Book 2 of Beautiful Disaster Trilogy Bellamy Blake fanfic I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH This book is not for the fainthearted. It's dark, edgy, angsty...
57.8K 916 33
helpless. season 1 & 2 in which, athena griffin and 100 other teenagers are sent to the ground after 100 years. ❝kiss me.❞ i pause and look into his...
4.7K 139 24
The enemy had no longer fallen from the sky, it hid behind stone walls and toxic substances. And to defeat said enemy, Tyra would have to make the ch...