The Girl Who Fell Out of the...

By PaintandButterflies

What if you had lived before? For eighteen-year-old Lavinia Gregory every day is like waking... More

The Ghostly Saga- An Introduction
Epigraph
The Begining of The End Part 1
Death Became Her Part 2
And So, She Wrote It All Down Part 3
Fathers and Daughters Part 4
The Road Not Taken Part 5
The Lost Lovers Part 6
It's The Choices We Make Part 7
Advice From a Friend Part 8
Lady Persephone Part 9
Triplets Part 10
Night Terrors Part 11
When It all Changed Forever Part 12
The Lake Part 13
The Yellow Car Part 14
Goodbye...Again. Part 15
My Lady Part 16
From January to December Part 17
Henry Part 18
Connections to Colours Part 19
Marry Me? Part 20
Does the Truth Always Set You Free? Part 21
Together and at Peace Part 22
The Lady Winter Part 23
Three Knocks Part 24
The Separation of Lovers Part 25
When The War Came To Marxby Part 26
To Whom, My Soul Belongs Part 27
The Trouble With Dreamers Part 28
On The Water's Edge Part 29
The Truth About Alice Part 30
The White Feather Part 31
The Girl Who Walked Into The Sea Part 32
On The Cusp of Dreams Part 33
The Watery Depths Where Lovers Go Part 35
Lord Neville Part 36
Doctors And Their Patients Part 37
To Face The Past Part 38
Little Sister Sweet Part 39
The Disillusion of War Part 40
The Colour of the Moon and Sky Part 41
The Lord James Marxby Part 42
Surrounded by Water Part 43
A Kiss of Eternal Love Part 44
The Black-Haired Man and The Red-Haired Woman Part 45
The Water's Grasp Part 46
Marxby's Locked Garden Part 47
The Photographs Part 48
Something's Different Part 49
The New Lavinia Part 50
Au Revoir, Arrivederci and Farewell Part 51
Home - Part 52
Doom Part 53
The Aftermath Part 54
The Girl at the Window Part 55
Without Hesitation Part 56
The Truth Hurts Part 57
Violet and Nathan Part 58
Son of a General Part 59
Thomas Trevelyan Part 60
A Deal With the Devil Part 61
Who You Really Are Part 62
My Lottie, My Girl Part 63
The Lord and Lady Winter Part 64
Nothing is Endless Part 65
We All Have a Number Part 66
Like a Feather Part 67
Chasing Ghosts Part 68
A Ghostly Saga Part 69
The Real Lavinia Part 70
And It Was Just The Begining (Epilogue)

Who Could Ever Love A Ghost? Part 34

132 12 2
By PaintandButterflies

Author Note: The Girl Who Fell Out of The Ocean is a first draft and is still quite raw thank you for reading please comment and vote if you are enjoying this story, thank you xx

The Beach- Marxby Manor- Present Day

Charlie takes a moment.

He takes a moment to relish in the feeling of Lavinia's soft pink lips pressed against his, he wants to run his hands all over her body and pull her on top of him but something in him says no. 

No. 

No.

No.

Like a block or a barrier, no Charlie it kept saying, over and over again, Charlie gently moved his face away from Lavinia's brushing her hair away from her beautiful freckled face.

She frowns, offended, trying to move her body closer to him again, what was he doing?  He had to want her, didn't he?

"What is it, Charlie?" Said Lavinia trying to touch his face, he moved back, feeling his body reject what was happening again, never had his mind and body been so separated, so distant from each other.

He cringed slightly, what was it, what was stopping him from picking her up by her tiny waist and carrying her into the waves.

"Don't you want to just live?" She cried.

"Lavinia since I've met you I've been using you as a focal point and I'm so, so grateful to have you in my life, you keep me anchored to this earth but it does us no good to hang on to each other like this, if we hang onto each other so tightly we will never heal." 

Lavinia laughed at him and stood up leaving him lying in the wet sand.

"You love me! I know it," she said a bit too loudly, her hair was bright red and curly thanks to the moisture and the restless sea air he couldn't help thinking she looked like a goddess any man would want her, any man should want her. 

Charlie stood up and as he did rain started to fall, the calm sea of yesterday was now raging, grey and angry looking it spat out at them and he felt the salt water hit his face.

"I need you, just like you need me," said Charlie.

Charlie felt Lavinia's green eyes on him, burning into him, they would have burned through him if they could.

"But love?" He said.

"Dolly, how could I ever love a ghost?"

Lavinia heard herself gasp, Charlie had called her Dolly, no one had called her Dolly not since she'd died.

"Say it again," said Lavinia suddenly not caring about Charlie only about her name, a name she thought she had lost.

Dolly. 

Dolly.

Dolly.

"I won't," said Charlie realising his mistake.

Charlie was beginning to see there was no Lavinia there was only Dolly, the past and the present were slowly becoming one and as Lavinia was trying to find a place for herself in the present it was Charlie who was becoming more and more fascinated by the past.

 They were ships who were passing in the night, soon their time together would be over and both would head forward in their own direction wherever that may be.

Lavinia stormed away from the beach Charlie's words ringing over and over in her head like a never ending bell "How could I ever love a ghost?

That's what I am thought Lavinia, a ghost, a worthless nothing, no more than a shadow.

"Where are you going?" Cried Charlie

"Home." Cried Lavinia back at him as she stormed up the sandy beach and past the cliffs.

He didn't know if she meant Marxby Manor or back to Manchester he just prayed she meant the latter.

"It wouldn't be right," he said under his breath as he watched her walk away.

"It wouldn't be right."

The Hospital –France- 1915

Dear Charlie,

Don't think I'm not angry with you because I am but I have gotten so to used to writing to you that I don't know how to give it up. 

I was used to the general day to day of France, not that there really was general day to day it was so different to everything I had ever known.

What I mean is the place, the hospital had a sense of routine our matron saw to that, she was a fiery blonde nurse who was so focused on getting the men the absolute best care possible. She knew that in the conditions we were in we had to be regimented and on our absolute best form all the time. 

Whether it was making beds, burning used bloody bandages sometimes from the battlefield or dealing with our patients working to the best of our ability was the most important thing, for the sake of the men who came through our doors sometimes with little or no hope at all.

Sometimes I wanted to throw up, run away, run home even, but Matron would remind us that we had no right to be sad, or afraid or feel sick because we weren't the ones with blown off limbs, we weren't the ones who had seen our friends die before our very eyes. When she said these things I always thought of Jimmy and prayed where ever he was he was safe and unharmed.

It's funny I never believed in God but Jimmy did and I thought if he was right and I was wrong then it didn't hurt me to get down on my knees and beg God, all the Gods actually to keep my brother safe, bring him home because he was good and kind and loving and...

And that's normally where it ended, that's where my lack of faith would kick in and I would have to rely on my love and I loved my brother and if that counted for anything in this life I hoped it would stay with him and carry him safely home.

Every day I would see Will, he was a surgeon so I would see him in his white jacket rushing from one tent to another. We tended to ignore each other and it became like we were strangers, we wouldn't blank each other exactly but our eyes would graze over each other and that would be it.

 Sometimes I would hear his gruff Scottish voice talking, or laughing and joking with someone else and I was reminded of the Manor, my wedding and the last time we saw each other at the station. 

Will had moved on, it was just easier that way, easier to live and breathe in silence and in this stony cold air that surrounded us. 

Whenever we were around each other sometimes I wondered if there was anything left to say?

The Girl Who Fell Out of The Ocean is updated every Wednesday and Sunday! :-)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121 10 7
What if the pages of history lied to you? What if magic was real, and you just never knew? In old London, a group of non-human individuals try and ma...
Two Worlds By

Werewolf

39.9K 1.4K 35
In a world where the supernatural live separate from the humans, some live with us but they mostly live in their own worlds. The Royals had a devasta...
10.6K 1.5K 29
Supernatural thriller | Rising fashion influencer Rhea is gearing up for her runway debut, but her perfect world is upended when she finds herself ha...
551 120 35
[ U N E D I T E D V E R S I O N] ''We're running out of time! And you want me to leave you behind?....'' The soft silence engulfed the forest not a...