A Hidden Kindness pt1 (Comple...

By XoWinterScorpioxo

COMPLETED! Second place winner, fanfiction, for DIAMOND STAR AWARDS and best cover for DIAMOND STAR AWARDS... More

Introduction
Chapter One: Strangers
Chapter Two: Home
Bingo Book 1
Chapter Four: Bells
Chapter Five: Team
Chapter Six: Friends?
Chapter 7: Ability
Bingo Book 2
Chapter 8: Sadness
Chapter 9: Friendship
Chapter 10: Test
Bingo book 3
Chapter 11: Numbered!
Chapter 12: Shadow
Chapter 13: Hidden
Thank you
Chapter 14: Kindness

Chapter Three: Surprise

136 13 42
By XoWinterScorpioxo

Melody slumped to the floor, panting heavily. She lay there staring up at the sky. Being alone was not helping her. She suddenly felt a shadow over her. She blinked and rolled over.

A young girl, no older than her, was stood there smiling. She had a bright smile and dark hair which had a small ribbon in, keeping a lock of hair tied up. She held a dumpling and presented it to Melody.

"You look kinda hungry." She said.

Melody stood up and dusted herself off before accepting the dumpling. She nibbled on it, her eyes widened before she began chomping it down.

"I'm Kaiya." The little girl said.

Melody gulped down the food. "I'm Melody. This is really good."
"My brother and I made it... I know who you are. I've watched you train here." Kaiya smiled at Melody. She clasped her hands behind her back as Melody finished the last of the dumpling. "Can I train with you?" She asked Melody.
Melody shuffled her feet and nodded.

Both girls ended up not training, but sitting and talking with one another as the hours passed by.
"I don't have many friends." Melody said softly as Kaiya begun to plait her hair.
"Nor do I. I don't go to the Academy; I didn't want to... but I trained with my big brother and his friend." Kaiya explained. Melody shuffled a little. "But I'm glad I got to meet you! This has been fun. Maybe next time we can train?!" She said excitedly.

Melody nodded as she spotted Kakashi heading over. "Well, I gotta go! Bye, Kaiya."
"Bye, Melody!" Kaiya watched the young girl go to the white-haired man before she scampered off to find her brother.

Melody had been training for a few weeks now and she had pretty much gotten the idea of her shadow clones, but the water walking was proving to be a problem. 

Approaching the bank, she took off her socks, shoes, and shorts as she prepared herself for another afternoon of falling in the lake.

After a while, Melody began panting and sweating. She stopped and composed herself. Her tongue stuck out and she sighed. "Come on, Melody..."

Melody unclenched her eyes and, sure enough, she felt the coldness at her feet. She looked down and she was standing on the water. Her eyes opened fully and she began to grin. She moved slightly forward, and then back. She picked up one of her legs and hopped from foot to foot. She bent down and swished the water. 

"Kakashi, I did-" She tripped over and fell on her face. Kakashi laughed before coughing. "Well done, Melody. You achieved water walking." Melody knelt on the water and shook her head. "Your task for the rest of the day is to move that bell."

Over the next few days, Melody would start by walking on the lake. She had quickly realized that she enjoyed the water style the most as she read through different scrolls Kakashi gave her.

Melody stared at the bell, held up her hand and closed her eyes. Her tongue stuck out and she hummed softly.

"Please move." She whispered.
"Helloooo!"

Her eyes opened and she came face to face with Kaiya.
"Kaiya!" She squealed. Kaiya smiled brightly at the little girl and stepped back. "What are you doing here?"
"Came to see you, silly. Here." She threw Melody a dumpling and walked around the training ground as Melody ate it. "What are you doing today?"
"Mmpphh mmpph mph." Melody said with a full mouth. Kaiya blinked. "Huh?"
Melody swallowed and pointed at the bell. Kaiya turned around and looked at it.

"I'm trying to move that bell... but it's trouble. Hey, wanna see me walk on water?" She asked. Kaiya nodded.

Melody walked to the edge of the water and took off her shoes before concentrating. She felt a surge run through her before she jumped onto the water and danced around a little. Kaiya clapped her hands together.

"That's so cool!" She beamed as Melody walked off the water. "Want some help with the bells?" 
"Yeah."

Melody walked over to the bell and stared hard at it.
"Have you really tried thinking you were the bell and all of the bell's properties?" Kaiya suggested.

Melody and Kaiya spent the rest of the afternoon trying to move the bell. Kaiya sat watching as Melody held out her hands and closed her eyes. The wind blew across the grounds and Kaiya turned to the bell. Melody thought about all the times she'd tried this and how nothing worked.

"Itachi would be able to do this..." She thought. She gulped back tears and tightened her eyes. Kaiya's eyes widened.

PING

Melody's eyes shot open and the bell had fallen over. Kaiya squealed excitedly and hugged her. "You did it!"
"Kaiya!" A voice called.

They turned around and saw a man. Kaiya waved at him.
"That's my brother." Kaiya said, "I have to go! Bye, Melody. You did good!"

She hugged Melody before running after the man. She jumped up and he picked her up, laughing happily.

Melody lowered her gaze as a troubling feeling bubbled up inside her. She headed to the bell and picked it up before walking away from the lonely grounds.

Melody walked along the streets of the Leaf Village as the sun began to set. She stopped and gazed at the water. She looked along the side and headed towards the pier. Sitting there was a boy. Her eyes lowered.

"Sasuke?" She muttered. 

The boy turned around, his eyes dull and lonely. She shuffled closer and his eyes widened ever so slightly. "Mel..." He whispered before she ran over to him and hugged him. He closed his eyes and didn't move. "You're alive."

She nodded, nuzzling his neck. He sighed in relief and patted her back.

After a few moments, she sat beside him, her legs swinging over the edge.
"Where have you been?" She asked quietly.
He shrugged his shoulders and threw a stone into the water. "In the house. Where have you been?"
"With Kakashi."
"Oh." He replied. Melody brought her knees up and hugged them. "At least you're safe."
"How's the Academy?" Melody rested her head on his shoulder and he shrugged a little.
"It's okay..."
"I hope Hinata is doing okay." Sasuke frowned but didn't say anything. "She's a friend I met..."

"The quiet girl?" He thought to himself. He leant back a little. "Odd couple. Melody's so loud." He felt a small smile tug at his lips but it disappeared as soon as it arrived.

"Sasuke... how is your training going?"
"Fine."
"Right... I managed to walk on water. I can't move a stupid bell though." Melody muttered in annoyance. Sasuke nudged her and brought his hand up, patting her head.

"You'll get it. I don't even know what that means, but I'm sure you'll get it." He said softly. Melody yawned a little. Sasuke frowned and turned his head to the side.

At the top of the hill stood a young boy. They both stared at each other.

Melody turned around and her eyes widened.

"That boy." She thought to herself. 

Sasuke turned his head away and the boy did, too. However, he turned back a little and stared at Melody. She nodded at him a tiny bit and he continued to walk on with a lowered head.

"I should walk you home." Sasuke said, getting up. He held out his hand and pulled Melody up. They both turned around and headed in the opposite direction of the boy.

They continued to hold hands all the way back and Sasuke didn't seem to mind. They both were silent until he felt Melody stop him.

"Here." She pointed at the door. Sasuke nodded. They stood there for a moment.

"See you." He mumbled.

She nodded before hugging him tightly. "See you, Sasuke." He pulled back, a slight blush covering his face.

"I believe in you." He walked away as Melody headed into the house.

She placed the bell on the kitchen table and closed her eyes. She raised her arm and her tongue stuck out. 

"I believe in you." 

Melody felt a tear roll down her cheek and she tightened her eyes. The bell shot across the room and Kakashi caught it. Melody opened her eyes slowly and Kakashi was stood there smiling.

"You did it."

Over the next four months, Melody's skills as a ninja had grown. Kakashi stood at the bottom of the tree and waited. He had his book out and the grounds were quiet until footsteps could be heard.

"Hiiiyyyaaaa!!" Melody ran by him and, as she went, she placed a foot on the tree and ran up it vertically. She panted softly. "Keep the chakra..."

She ran all the way to the top and smiled as she watched the sun rise.

Kakashi looked up and squinted a little. He could see her hanging onto the edge of the tree. He shook his head, smiling at her growth.

She turned to the tree next to her and closed her eyes. Concentrating, her tongue stuck out. She opened her eyes when she jumped to the opposite tree. She landed and giggled before running down the tree and to Kakashi who bent down and hugged her tightly. He pulled back and smiled. He held up a small present and Melody looked at him quizzically.

"Happy birthday, Melody."

Her jaw dropped. She had completely forgotten her own birthday. She took the present and stared at it. She carefully began to unwrap the purple ribbon and lifted the lid. Inside was a charm bracelet.

"Wow!" She said in awe. She lifted it up and Kakashi took it from her and pulled out her pup charm.

"You haven't been able to wear your present so I thought you could use this." Kakashi put the charm on and pulled out another present. He gave it to Melody and she smiled widely as she opened it. Inside of it was another charm with the Hidden Leaf symbol.

"This one is to always remind you that you are a Shinobi from the Hidden Leaf Village and you are on your way to becoming a splendid ninja." 

Melody squealed and hopped from foot to foot as Kakashi added the charm to her bracelet. She raised her small wrist and Kakashi clipped it on.

"And, don't worry, when you get older, I'll make sure it will fit." She hugged Kakashi tightly and he picked her up. "We have a few more surprises for you." He added as they left the training grounds.

Kakashi put his key in the door and opened it. They walked in and he switched on the lights.

"Surprise!"

A group of people were there, smiling happily with party poppers and streamers. Melody gasped in shock and ran into the centre of the room. She scanned the room and Kurenai came up to her first, handing her a present.

"Happy birthday, princess." She said smiling. Melody sat down and gently opened the present. Inside it was a small kunai set. Kakashi rolled his eyes.
"Thank you!" Melody beamed, her bracelet jingling ever so slightly.

Next was Hinata, who had shown up with Ko. She hurried over to Melody and gave her a cuddle and a small gift. Melody opened it and there was a small fairy charm with light violet wings. She hugged Hinata tightly.

"It's so pretty! Kakashi, please put it on the bracelet."

Kakashi came forward and helped put it on. It sparkled with the leaf symbol and the pup charm.
Ko had given Melody a book all about wolves and Pakkun had given her a cuddly bone.
Kaiya hopped forward and smiled widely. "Happy birthday! This is from me!" She handed Melody a present and smiled. Melody opened it and inside the box was two matching bells. Melody frowned and Kaiya lifted them up.

They sparkled blue and silver and a ribbon of blue or silver was attached to the opposite colour.

"You wear it." Kaiya explained. She sat Melody down and pulled back her hair, wrapping the blue ribbon around it. The bell glistened. Kakashi smiled and Kaiya's brother rolled her eyes as she placed the other bell in her own hair. They both looked in the mirror.

"We'll be friends forever, Bells!"

Melody smiled and hugged Kaiya. "It's so shiny! Did you make these?"
"Hayate helped!" Kaiya pointed to her brother who gave Melody a card, wishing her a happy birthday.

Finally, the quiet two in the corner walked forward as a woman bent down in front of Melody.

"Melody, I'm Yoshino, Shikamaru's mother. This is from myself and my husband." She turned to Shikaku and Melody giggled.

"Spiky man!"

He chuckled and they both waited as Melody opened the present. Inside was another collection of kunai and shuriken as well as a black pouch to put them in which would wrap around her leg.

"Thank you!" Melody exclaimed. Yoshino cuddled the little girl and then turned to her son.

"Shikamaru!"

He shuffled forward and Melody squealed in excitement before hugging Shikamaru around the waist. Shikamaru rolled his eyes.

"Here you go." He said.

It was a large present. She opened it and a huge wolf plush was inside. It had black and white fur with a golden tag which said:

To Mel,
Happy birthday.
Your friend,
Shikamaru

Melody giggled and cuddled Shikamaru again. He sighed dramatically. He tried to pry her off but she held onto him and the teddy causing the adults to laugh. Kaiya and Hinata ran to them and the kids all smiled together.

Kakashi smirked. "We also have one last present for you, Melody."

Anko walked forward and handed her an envelope. She grinned a little and poked the girl's forehead. "Because I'm your favourite auntie figure, here! My present to you is this, squirt!"

Melody opened the card and on it was an arrow pointing at Anko. Melody raised an eyebrow.

"I'm gonna become your sensei, cutie pie! We're gonna get you to be the best Shinobi around! You get to have me!" Melody laughed as Anko hugged her tightly. She turned to Kakashi. "Oh, and her other present is in her room."

Melody pulled away and ran upstairs.

Her room had been transformed. It had one wall by her bed in a beautifully painted sunset whilst the others were a light violet. Her dresser had on her book and lampshade. The curtains were blue and had been put up and it had been decorated with small wolves and dogs. She squealed happily as she spotted the fluffy rug on the laminate floor. This was the best day ever for her.

She hurried back downstairs as the adults began to talk and the four kids began to play together. Anko and Kakashi nodded at one another, knowing that the next few weeks would be tough on her, but worthwhile in the end.

Winter here!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this story!
Please don't forget to leave a star and a comment!
I love to hear your thoughts!
Love

©

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.7K 1.3K 36
Book 2 of the Naruto x Reader story! They thought that the worst of things had passed, and they could go about living their life to the fullest and a...
301K 11K 50
Y/n L/n the last survivor of the L/n clan. Will protect Naruto with her life. Meets Gaara. Decides to protect him at all costs too. Fuck everyone els...
170K 5.1K 50
COMPLETED !!DISCLAIMER!! This was my first ever story that I have written and published on wattpad. I have never imagined it to ever go to 125k rea...
28.9K 835 29
The cover credit goes to @-Bezana-!! Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto or Naruto Shippuden. I don't own any of the characters that the writers of the...