Chapter 14: Kindness

Note: My baby Melody is all growing up *cries* thank you for sticking with this story! Please continue to support Melody as we make our way into the new adventures.

Melody had made it to the training grounds and she spotted Anko. She was sitting on the stump, eating her favourite dumplings. Melody shook her head and headed over to Anko.

"Hey, Sensei!" She called out. Anko chomped down on her dumpling and waved at Melody. "I was hoping we could do some last-minute training before tomorrow?" She said. Anko jumped down and nodded. "Sure, kid! I can't believe how much you've grown! Let's do it!" She agreed excitedly. The two readied themselves. "Alright. Sparring! Begin!"

Anko stood with Melody as they finished training for the day. Melody bent over her knees, trying to slow down her breathing. Anko smirked and patted the girls head. Melody looked up and smiled, she straightened.

"So...?"
"You did well, sweetie. That new technique will come in handy. Come on."

The two walked away from the training grounds and through the village. Ever so slightly, Melody's smile began to fade away. She stopped and stared at the Hokage faces before lowering her gaze to the ground.

"Anko Sensei..."
"Tomorrow you'll be starting on your own. I'm proud of you, kid." She said simply, not taking her eyes off the Hokage faces. Melody watched her sensei and she bit her lip.

"How do you know that?"
"Because... you're just like Kakashi. You'll be amazing. I have faith in you." She turned to Melody and grinned. Melody stared up at Anko before she felt a tear slip down her cheek. Melody ran forward and hugged Anko who sighed softly and hugged the girl back.

"Settle down... What will Yoshino think?" She laughed a little before taking her student home. 

Friday had arrived and it was the day Kakashi would be back. Melody got up and folded away her things. Shikamaru had already gotten up with his father and had gone out.

She got dressed and began to make her way to the stairs. Shikamaru and Yoshino were currently talking quietly together downstairs.

"Take Melody out somewhere nice- it's her birthday. We'll see you both back here tonight."

Yoshino winked at her son and he groaned before walking off.

"Alright, I get it... Melody! Come on!" He shouted up the stairs. She ran down and hugged Shikamaru and he began to walk with her attached to him.
"See you later, Yoshino!" Melody beamed.
"Bye, sweetheart!" Yoshino replied before racing into the kitchen and beginning to cook for the surprise she had planned.

The two headed along the streets of Konoha. Shikamaru led her towards the bridge and they headed over. Melody spun along in front of Shikamaru as he followed. She looked down at the water and smiled.

"Where are we going?"

Shikamaru shrugged his shoulders, "Anywhere and everywhere. Come on."

He began to lead her, heading to all the places he could think of. They went to the training grounds and began to spar for a little while, then to the Hokage heads and dropped water balloons from it. They later headed over to the shops and ran along, looking at the different foods and grabbing ice cream together.

"I still think sprinkles are better."
"You are so wrong! Chocolate sauce all the way."

The two friends laughed and continued their journey, eating the ice creams together.

They stopped at where Shikamaru would stare at clouds for hours. They stayed in silence as they finished the last of the ice cream. Shikamaru turned to Melody and laughed. "What?" She said, trying not to laugh.