Chapter 8: Sadness

Note: Happy New Year Everyone! Here is the next installment! Thank you for the votes and reading this story!

Missions became scarce for Team Anko after that dreadful evening.

Clay and Kaiya sat in the park, watching another sun set. Neither of them had heard from Melody and Kakashi. Neither knew what to say, or what to think.

"Clay?" Kaiya whispered as she fiddled with her hair. Clay looked over at her and waited for her to say something. "Do you think we should see her?" She asked. Clay turned around and watched the sun go down. "I really think we should have done more, or maybe we could have helped... She helped us with our training, and all we did was watch." She muttered.
"No. There's nothing we can do."

Kaiya turned her head to Clay as her eyes began watering. "She's our teammate, Clay! We can't just- you know- we have to–"
"Kaiya, stop it! Whatever we saw was the same thing as the monster that attacked our village! She's as bad as that kid!" Clay yelled, causing Kaiya to cry. "I'm sorry, Kaiya. I just don't know what to do right now." He got up and shoved his hands in his pockets as he headed away from Kaiya. She rubbed her eyes and got up before running home.

Kaiya ran up the stairs and slammed her door shut behind her. She dived onto her bed and cuddled the pillow tightly before sitting up and glancing at the picture on the bedside table. She shuffled over to it and picked it up. She traced the outline: her and Melody. She sighed bitterly.

"I should have done more..."

There was a tap on the window and she gasped. Looking up, she spotted Melody on her balcony with her eyes lowered. Kaiya got up and opened the window, letting Melody in.

Melody did not speak, she just stared at the ground. Kaiya bit her lip before taking Melody's hand.
"You're still my best friend." She whispered.

Melody turned her head to Kaiya, tears trickling down her cheeks. She buried her head into Kaiya's chest and Kaiya placed her hands on her head and patted her gently.

"I'm sorry!" Melody whimpered.
"It's not your fault. You were just upset. It could have happened to anyone." Kaiya tried, but inside she was a little worried. Melody closed her eyes. "It'll be okay. Kakashi-sensei stopped it and saved you."
"Yeah..."

There was a low cough and Hayate was stood there.
"Kakashi is here for you, Melody."

Melody got up and hugged Kaiya one last time before leaving in a hurry. Kaiya faced her brother, her brow furrowing.

"Melody's hurting. Why? Why did that happen?" She demanded, her usual happy demeanour fading and being replaced by a wiser young lady. Hayate coughed a little as a purple haired lady showed up.

"Yugao, tell me what happened to Melody." She said, staring at the two. Yugao bent down. "The last time you saw her, you even said you knew her. How?"
"Melody... She was there when the Uchiha Clan were killed. Her and Sasuke were the same age, and best friends."
"She's my best friend." Kaiya hissed, clenching her fists. Hayate placed a hand on her shoulder. "You didn't really show that after, did you?"

Kaiya felt tears well up in her eyes. Yugao scowled at the male.

"Kaiya, Melody is very special, but she's also been through a lot. She doesn't remember it all that well, but she remembers Sasuke the most, and she remembers being with him. When she gets sad like that, something inside her takes over... She was very lonely, too, as a child until she had the Uchihas." Yugao explained.

Kaiya pursed her lips together before turning to her brother. "Melody will be okay, won't she?"
"I guess... Yeah." Hayate shrugged his shoulders before looking over at the clock. "We've got a mission; we'll be back later tomorrow. Food's in the fridge for you." He hugged his sister tightly. "Be good."