An Endless Supply Of Rubies

literallylikeuh tarafından

Disclaimer: this is not my story this story belongs to Ithunn on fanfiction.net. I am posting this story beca... Daha Fazla

Prologue
Checkmate
Checkmate II
Checkmate III
Checkmate IV
Act Of Sucession I
Act if Succession II
His Majesty's Pleasure
The Definition of Love I
The Definition of Love II
The Definition of Love III
Matters of State
Lady of Waiting I
Lady in Waiting II
Act of Treason I
Act of Treason II
Destiny and Fortune
Civil Unrest I
Civil Unrest II
Civil Unrest III
Civil Unrest IV
Civil Unrest V
The Northern Uprising
Dissension and Pubishment I
Dessension and Punishment II
The Death of a Queen I
The Death of a Queen II
Search for a New Queen I
Search for a New Queen II
Protestant Anne of Cleves II
Protestant Anne of Cleves III
The Undoing of Cromwell
A Moment of Nostalgia
Sister
Natural Ally
Bottom of the Pot
You Have My Permission
Sixth and the Final Wife
As It Should Be
Death of a Monarchy and Epilogue

Protestant Anne of Cleves I

3.5K 75 3
literallylikeuh tarafından

Fanfic: An Endless Supply of Rubies Ch 31, Tudors | FanFiction

A/N: Currently settling into a new semester at college.

For some reason, in the show, the treaty that is presented to the Duke of Cleves includes the idea that Mary would be married to the Duke's eldest son. According to the show, the Duke is Anne's brother, William, who was 22 at the time, and the same age as Mary. His father, John III, died in 1539. If the English envoys had been speaking to John III, then they would have been referring to William.

To make this longer, I also read an excellent theory regarding why Henry and Anne Boleyn only had one child. The theory is that Anne Boleyn had a negative blood type (which was rare) and that Henry had a more common positive one. Since the positive was dominant, his children were also all likely positive. Anne's body would have been exposed to the markers on the cells via the fetus's blood and then created antibodies. It would explain why they only had one child followed by so many miscarriages.

23 September 1538

It seemed as though the King's marital reputation had spread to all of Europe, and there were not many who were willing to send their daughters to be Queen. Christine, much to Amelia's relief, was no longer one of those favored to become the King's next bride. Unfortunately for her, it meant that the King was also no longer considering marriage between Mary and Don Luis, which had made her sister sad.

Amelia's children brought Mary joy, however. They loved her dearly, as much as if she were their own mother.

Mary was slightly jealous of her sister. She was married, happy, and had multiple children. She had exactly what Mary had always desired. Even though she was jealous, she couldn't bring herself to be angry with her sister. She had simply gotten very, very lucky. She could have been married to that vile man George Boleyn.

They now split their time between Westhorpe and court, depending on the King's mood or how deep his paranoia ran. Mary thought the King had very little need to be worried. With Amelia taking care of Edward, and her fierce devotion to all of her children, no one was willing to lay their hands on them.

Besides, even in Mary could barely tell the difference between Eleanor and Edward. They seemed to share the same features. They were each a year old now, and becoming fast friends.

Mary tried to be happy for her sister when she told her that she was pregnant again. Really, she did. But there was still a certain jealousy in her mind that pervaded her thoughts. Why couldn't she have what her sister had?

9 March 1539

Amelia gave birth to a baby girl, named Jane, among the immense panic that had seized all of England over the thought of a joint invasion from Spain and France. She had decided to retire to Westhorpe with her family so that everyone could be a little more at ease. It was no good trying to run a household if everyone was always in a panicked state.

6 May 1539

The news had come from the King himself that they were all safe. The French and Spanish alliance had not lasted very long at all.

The entire family returned to London with smiles on their faces. John and Elizabeth, now both five, had taken to exploring around Westhorpe in the time they were there, even if it was chilly outside and Amelia had told them to stay indoors. They were happy to have the entire palace to explore and wander, and Amelia could have peace of mind that they would not catch their death of cold.

Owen was almost three years old now, and starting to do things for himself. He liked to insist that he didn't need to hold Amelia or Mary's hands when he walked, but almost always held the hands of Eleanor and Edward, who were both still only about a eighteen months old.

Jane was still a tiny, 3-month-old baby when they returned. Charles had greeted the family as soon as they stepped out of their carriage, firstly by being tackled by his three eldest children, Edward, and Elizabeth when he knelt down to greet them. He laughed as he pretended to cry out in defeat, earning a grin from the King and the small party of nobles that had gathered to welcome the family back to the city.

When they grew boerd of Charles, they swarmed the King and the nobles, chattering on about their journey and that one time that Amelia had scolded them for wandering into the gardens. Everyone was very excited to see the King again, and, to an extent, Sir Francis. The man with the eyepatch had visited Suffolk a few times over the last few years, and was a constant fixture at court. Therefore, the children all knew who he was, and were always happy to see a familiar face in a sea of those they didn't immediately recognize.

Once Charles had managed to get himself off the ground, he stepped towards his wife and kissed her gently. "Welcome, my love," he whispered softly. He looked down at the sleeping baby that she held in her arms. "Welcome to London, Jane."

His hand rested gently on the small of her back as they began to walk. "I hear that the King intends to marry Anne of Cleves," Amelia said, looking up at her husband. "Is that good news or bad? I never knew much about her."

Charles was silent for a moment. "It depends," he finally responded. "It's an alliance with someone outside of the French-Imperial conflict, which is a welcome change to England, but it puts us in an alliance with the Protestant League. I don't know what that means for the Church of England."

"Good things, one would hope," Amelia replied with a small laugh. "It will be a great change for this realm, to have a Queen not from France or Spain."

4 September 1539

"The Duke of Suffolk, Your Grace," the herald announced.

Edward Seymour lifted his head from his hand in disbelief, and then quickly rose to his feet. "Your Grace, to what do I owe this honor?" he asked, not bothering to hide the surprise in his voice as he bowed.

"I'm here to congratulate you," Charles said. "I understand the King has made you Earl of Hertford, and I believe it is time to patch up our past quarrels and differences. There are better quarrels to be had."

Edward smiled. "I am happy to agree with Your Grace. Drink?" he offered, turning to the pitcher of wine on his table by the fire.

"Please," Charles responded.

Edward poured a glass of wine, and motioned to the chair next to his. Charles sat, and held the glass of wine in his hands for a moment. "My wife and I are commanded to meet the princess at Calais," Charles said.

"And how is the Duchess, Your Grace?" Edward interrupted. "I have seen her so rarely over the past few months, only when I go to visit my nephew, and even so, we rarely get to speak."

"She is doing well," Charles said with a smile. "She is quite busy now, managing six children. Our youngest, Jane, keeps her up most of the night. It makes her rather tired." Charles recalled the numerous times over the past few months when he had come home to find his wife fast asleep in the oddest of places. Just last night, she had fallen asleep in a chair in front of the fire. To be fair, it was one of the warmest spots in their apartment.

"I also hear that the Duchess speaks fluent German, does she not?" Edward asked, taking a sip of his wine.

Charles nodded. "One of many that she speaks," he replied. "The King wishes to make the Princess feel welcome, so Amelia is to help her to understand the English language." He paused for a moment. "A great many things hand upon this marriage, do they not?"

"The King's happiness, for one," Edward said, nodding in agreement. "And my Lord Cromwell's reputation," he added after a moment's hesitation.

"What a pity if all should go awry for some reason," Charles said, trying to feel out Edward's stance on the impending marriage.

"I would have pity for the King," Edward responded.

"But on the other hand?" Charles pushed.

In the ensuing silence, both men smiled. They had come to a mutual understanding that Cromwell had to go. They both raised their glasses in a toast.

"So he is marrying a Lutheran heretic?" Mary asked, pacing back and forth with disbelief. Both Amelia and Eustace sat in front of her as she walked.

"So it seems," Eustace said as Amelia nodded in agreement.

"I am to meet her at Calais with Charles within the next month," Amelia added.

"And I shall marry no one?" Mary cried.

"My lady I-" "Mary, I-" The two voices overlapped one another.

"No, I prefer it," she interrupted. It sounded to Amelia like she was trying to convince herself. "Do you suppose I would like to be married off to the Duke's brother or some heretic cousin of his?" She huffed. "I would prefer to live in a nunnery."

Both Amelia and Eustace shared a look. Amelia knew that her sister did not mean what she said. All Mary had talked about since the Emperor had proposed that Don Luis marry Mary was her own marriage in the future, and all the children that she was going to have, and how they would be just as amazing as her nieces and nephews were.

"I do not know what to think of the King!" Mary continued. "He burns one Lutheran and then marries another? Well, if God so wills it, she might drown at sea."

Amelia knew that Mary did not like the idea of Anne of Cleves, but Amelia was excited. Ambassadors from the German states were rare at court, with most of the ambassadors coming from Catholic nations. Her German skills were a little bit rusty, and she was anxious to test them out with the Princess. Besides, she had worked hard to teach all of her children basic German phrases so they could talk to the Princess in her native language, and make her feel more welcome in England than others would make her feel.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

19.2K 1.4K 12
𝓞.𝓢 || Historias cortas con tus tiktokers y actores favoritos [ Siempre soñamos tener una historia con nuestros actores o tiktokers favoritos, aqu...
449K 13.5K 96
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...
1.2M 32K 31
[First book from the "Mrs Hotshot CEO" series.] "The past is a plague, it doesnt let go of us ,even if we do" Victoria Belle Woods is set up to marry...
299K 6.5K 34
Emilia Gemstone is an orphan and Clary Fairchild's best friend. She has a secret she keeps by fear to be judged as a freak. Join Emilia as she enters...