An Endless Supply Of Rubies

By literallylikeuh

Disclaimer: this is not my story this story belongs to Ithunn on fanfiction.net. I am posting this story beca... More

Prologue
Checkmate
Checkmate II
Checkmate III
Checkmate IV
Act Of Sucession I
Act if Succession II
His Majesty's Pleasure
The Definition of Love I
The Definition of Love II
The Definition of Love III
Matters of State
Lady of Waiting I
Lady in Waiting II
Act of Treason I
Act of Treason II
Destiny and Fortune
Civil Unrest I
Civil Unrest II
Civil Unrest III
Civil Unrest IV
Civil Unrest V
The Northern Uprising
Dissension and Pubishment I
Dessension and Punishment II
The Death of a Queen I
The Death of a Queen II
Search for a New Queen II
Protestant Anne of Cleves I
Protestant Anne of Cleves II
Protestant Anne of Cleves III
The Undoing of Cromwell
A Moment of Nostalgia
Sister
Natural Ally
Bottom of the Pot
You Have My Permission
Sixth and the Final Wife
As It Should Be
Death of a Monarchy and Epilogue

Search for a New Queen I

4.3K 83 11
By literallylikeuh

Fanfic: An Endless Supply of Rubies Ch 29, Tudors | FanFiction

A/N: In history, Charles Brandon was appointed Lord President of the Council in 1530, which was a new office. In the show, he is not given this office until about 1538. In this story, he has held the office since 1530, which explains his frequent absences.

The show has Henry going into seclusion after Jane's death, but doesn't give any indication as to how long, so I'm guessing that it was at least a few months before he began to think about marriage. The portrait of Christina, Duchess of Milan, was painted in March of 1538. Negotiations for a marriage between Henry and Anne of Cleves did not begin until March of 1539.

I do not speak Danish, but Google Translate does, so I'm sorry for any errors. The letters are written this way to show how cautious Amelia is. After all, intercepted letters seem to be the downfall of many.

January 1538

Even though a certain darkness had seemed to settle around the kingdom since the King had gone into seclusion, life at Westhrope did not slow down. With both Mary and Clemence around the house, taking care of the five young children was not as hectic as it could have been. Clemence had taken over a governess-like role for John and Elizabeth, which helped to keep them calm during the daytime.

The only thing that was missing was Charles.

With the King still in seclusion, Charles's presence at court was almost required. If he left, then the Lord Privy Seal might try to put himself in a more important position. He had come home for the last half of December and the first half of January, much to the delight of all of the rest of the family.

Charles had finally made peace with himself over what he had done the previous year, and Amelia had found comfort in the fact that what had happened had happened, and that since the rebellion had been quelled, there would be no more killings on that scale.

Violence still prevailed in the capitol. When Charles wrote, he told her that it was all because of Cromwell, and Amelia had started to feel as though Cromwell should no longer be in the position of power that he was in.

There had been several requests from the last few months from various people to see Edward, most notably Edward Seymour himself, who insisted that as the Prince's uncle, he had the right to see the boy whenever he so desired. Amelia had strongly disagreed, going as far as slamming the door in the man's face after telling him in a low and dangerous tone that the only ones allowed to see her brother were the ones with written permission from the King.

Therefore, the only person that had been allowed to see the baby was Sir Francis Bryan, who had complimented Amelia on the good job she had done taking care of him. In truth, even without written permission from the King, she probably would have let Sir Francis in to see the boy. It was easy to say no to Edward Seymour, because he didn't have the same violent reputation that Sir Francis did.

15 February 1538

"We must discuss marriage," Henry told Cromwell and Charles, his fingers twisting the cane he held in his hand. His attention was focused on the Lord Privy Seal. "As usual, the French want to mess me around. Who does the Emperor propose?"

"Your Majesty, the Emperor has put forward Christina, his niece, the Duchess of Milan," Cromwell said. In truth, he was not happy with the idea of a marriage to someone who was related to the Holy Roman Emperor. It meant that the new Queen would be Catholic, and then all hope of their reformation would be lost.

"Tell me about her," the King commanded.

"Originally from Denmark, she was married at thirteen to the Duke of Milan, Francesco Sforza, who died a year later," Charles said, moving towards the King. "She is now sixteen, both a widow and, apparently, still a maid. She's living in Brussels with the Regent, Mary of Hungary. She is reported to be a great beauty, and likes nothing better than hunting and playing cards."

"Denmark, did you say?" Henry asked. His interest and curiosity was piqued.

"Yes, Your Majesty," Charles replied. "She is the younger surviving daughter of King Christian II, whose son the Lady Amelia was betrothed to for many years. She was only about twelve when the Lady Amelia returned to England."

"So my daughter and your wife may know more about the Duchess..." Henry said, his thoughts trailing off. "Hunting and playing cards? I like her already. Have our ambassador in the Netherlands find out more about her. In the meantime, I would quite like to speak with your wife, Your Grace, and learn what she knows."

1 March 1538

When Amelia arrived at court, the was dancing and feasting. It was more alive than it had been in a while, from what Amelia had heard. Her father quickly caught her eye, and beckoned her forward.

"Your Majesty," Amelia said, curtsying. "And Sir Francis, what a pleasant surprise."

"Duchess," Sir Francis replied with a bow of his head.

"Amelia, my own daughter. Tell me, how is your family?" the King asked, taking a sip of wine.

"We are all doing very well," Amelia responded with a smile on her face. "Elizabeth and John are excelling at French, Latin, and Spanish, so I've been teaching them a little bit of German as well, just to challenge them. Elizabeth has also just started to learn stitching as well. Owen is an active child who's still trying to figure out how to balance on his own two feet. And Eleanor and Edward are getting bigger every day. Edward is truly a credit to Your Majesty. He sleeps much more peacefully than even my own daughter does."

Henry laughed. "I love that little boy with all your heart."

"As do I, father," Amelia agreed.

"I called you hear to ask about Christina, the Duchess of Milan," Henry told her. "I believe you knew her as your betrothed's youngest sister."

Amelia's head tilted to one side. "You are considering a marriage between yourself and Christine?" Amelia asked. "The last I heard, she was marrying Francesco II Sforza, the Duke of Milan. How long has she been widowed?"

"Since she was thirteen," said Henry.

Amelia allowed herself to take in the information. Out of the two sisters that Hans had had, Christine had been the one she was closer to. Now, the King was considering making her Amelia's step-mother.

"In Denmark, I knew her as Christine," Amelia began. "She was a wonderful girl, intelligent and kind, with the best tutors that could be afforded. Even when she was in exile, her spirit never broke. She was a true Scandinavian girl with iron in her soul."

The King was silent for a moment, and was about to speak when Cromwell approached. "Majety," the man greeted.

"Cromwell," the King returned.

"I have just received a letter from Sir John Hutton, the Ambassador in Brussels," Cromwell said. "He's been making enquiries on your Majesty's behalf about the Duchess of Milan, the Emperor's niece."

The King was suddenly very interested in the letter Cromwell had in his hand. "What does he say?" he asked eagerly.

"He writes 'There is none in these parts for beauty of person and birth to compare with the Duchess. She is not so pure white as the last Queen, and God pardon, but when she smiles, there appear two dimples in her cheeks and one in her chin, which become her very well,'" Cromwell read. He paused, his eyes briefly moving from the King to the letter.

"Has he mentioned any other ladies?" Henry asked, recognizing the action as one that meant there was more.

"Only a sister of the Duke of Cleves. Anne," Cromwell responded. "He writes-"

"I've heard about her," Henry interrupted. "They say she is of no great praise, either of her personage or her beauty. Have you heard differently, Amelia?" he asked, his attention shifting to his daughter.

"I have only heard her name, father, nothing of her person," she replied.

"Forgive me, Majesty, but on the other hand, such a match could have its advantages," Cromwell intervened, desperate to keep Anne in the running. "This realm has long been at the mercy of the machinations of the French or of the Emperor. But Cleves is a member of the Protestant League, which daily grows in power across Europe and could easily rival theirs. Thus, at last, could England make its own destiny."

Henry had to admit that he was right. It was the same thing that he had tried to accomplish by marrying Amelia to the heir to the thrones of Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. They were outside of the controls of the French and Spanish, and therefore would not constantly be at ends with another country.

"Even so," Henry said, after a moment of thought, "I am anxious to see more of the Duchess of Milan. I want to make sure she's as beautiful as Hutton claims, and as kind and educated as my daughter claims. Send Master Holbein to do a sketch of her by next tide."

"Majesty," Cromwell said with a bow.

"Master Cromwell," the King dismissed.

Later in the evening, Amelia had finally gotten away from the questions of courtiers concerning her younger brother, and escaped the feast with her husband at her side.

"You seem distracted," Charles said as they walked the halls of the palace. "Unburden your mind, love."

"I do not think that there will be a match between my father and the Duchess of Milan, but his mind seems set on it," Amelia told him softly. "I am afraid of what my father might do if he does not get his way."

Charles frowned. "He is the King of England, France, and Ireland. Why would she say no?" he asked.

Amelia sighed. "The King has made a reputation for himself across Europe," she began. "I learned of it from the ambassadors tonight. They only speak of his reputation in their native tongues, for fear that if they say it in a language others understand, they might lose their heads." She paused. "He has had three wives. The first, they say, he wrongfully abandoned, and they did not accept the annulment. The second wife, they say, was an innocent when she lost her head. And his third..." She gulped, her voice barely above a whisper. "They say that he didn't do everything in his power to save her from her death."

"And you're afraid Christina might share the same fate," Charles said quietly.

She laughed. "The Emperor might give his permission for my father to marry Christine, but she is a ward of Mary of Hungary," Amelia said. "I too was once her ward. There is no doubt in my mind that Mary of Hungary has heard of the King's formidable reputation and will do everything in her power to prevent Christine from marrying him."

3 March 1538

Dearest Christine,

I apologize deeply for not writing to you sooner. I was only just informed recently of the death of your husband, the Duke of Milan. I send my deepest sympathies. I remember how excited to were to live in Milan because of its incredible beauty.

Shortly after I arrived home in England, I was betrothed to Charles Brandon, the 1st Duke of Suffolk. He is a wonderful man, and I believe he loves me just as much as I love him. We have three children together. John, named after your brother, is our eldest. He is soon to turn four. Owen is our next child, and soon to turn two. Our youngest is Eleanor, and she is not yet a year old.

In addition, my father has placed my half-sister Elizabeth, daughter of the late Queen Anne, and my half-brother Edward, son of the late Queen Jane, in my care. They are both wonderful children as well. My older sister Mary also lives with me, and her help with the young children is wonderful.

Jeg skriver til dig, fordi jeg hører, at min far har planer om at arranger for dig at være hans næste brud. Jeg vil blot spœrge hvad du synes om Hans Majestæt. I sandhed, jeg ved, at Mary Ungarns ikke vil give din fagforening. Du er heldig at have hende som an advokat.

Jeg håber at høre nyt fra dig snart, og jeg afventer Deres brev spændt.

With much love,

Amelia

The last part of her letter read "I am writing to you because I hear that my father plans to arrange for you to be his next bride. I simply wish to inquire what you think of His Majesty. In truth, I know that Mary of Hungary will not allow your union. You are lucky to have her as your advocate. I hope to hear news from you soon, and I await your letter anxiously"

But she couldn't send the letter directly to Christine. She worried that someone had heard her talking to Charles, or that the King would see the letter going to her and believe that Amelia was either trying to secure or undermine his marriage. Either way, she believed that her letter would be intercepted and opened, probably by Cromwell himself. She didn't want the letter getting into the wrong hands.

She picked up a new piece of parchment, and began her second letter.

Kæreste Dorothea,

Jeg skriver med tungt hjerte. Det ser ud til, at min far er tilbøjelig til at tage din søster som sin kan ikke skrive til hende direkte uden at hæve mistanke, så jeg beder dig at behage frem vedlagte brev til hende. Du er velkommen til at læse den.

Jeg hører fra ambassadørerne, at du er elsket I Palatine, og at du og din man der en fremragende kamp.

Jeg ser frem til at høre fra dig så godt.

Med megen kærlighed,

Amelia

It read "Dearest Dorothy, I write with a heavy heart. It seems that my father is inclined to take your sister as his bride. I cannot write to her directly without raising suspicion, so I beg of you to please forward the enclosed letter to her. You are welcome to read it.

"I hear from the ambassadors that you are beloved in Palatine, and that you and your husband are an excellent match.

"I look forward to hearing from you as well.

"With much love, Amelia."

She sent the letters without a second thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.1K 493 23
A robot Izuku au . . . . . . . Izuku was created in a lab created by the one and only professor Hisashi Midoriya. your just gonna have to read to f...
351K 12.8K 60
π—œπ—‘ π—ͺπ—›π—œπ—–π—› noura denoire is the first female f1 driver in π——π—˜π—–π—”π——π—˜π—¦ OR π—œπ—‘ π—ͺπ—›π—œπ—–π—› noura denoire and charle...
1.1K 82 5
What people usually say after something inevitable happens.. "who would have thought..."? "this can't be happening... "? " our world will stop...
167K 3.5K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...