Gone Country

By dbookjunkie

Charlotte Jackson may be rich, but her life is hardly a breeze. Her father is marrying a young gold digger na... More

Gone Country
*Prologue*
Chapter 1 (Battles)
Chapter 2 (It's Not A Date, But It's A Date)
Chapter 3 (His Mother's Apron)
Chapter 4 (Change Of Plans)
Chapter 6 (I Promise)
Chapter 7 (He's Crazy)
Chapter 8 (Keep On Truckin')
Chapter 9 (Fighting)
Chapter 10 (One Call)
Chapter 11 (Two Right Feet?)
Chapter 12 (Decisions)
Chapter 13 (Help Wanted)
Chapter 14 (Should've Told Her)
Chapter 15 (The Strong Ones)
Chapter 16 (Fix It)
Chapter 17 (In A Jam)
Chapter 18 (Blaring Distress)
Chapter 19 (Acceptance)
Chapter 20 (Their Place)
Chapter 21 (Who's Not Good Enough?)
Chapter 22 (Out The Country, Into The City)
Chapter 23 (His Letter)
Chapter 24 (Turning Over A New Leaf)
Chapter 25 (Our Day, My Day?)
Chapter 26 (Let It Out)
Chapter 27 (Save The Girl)
Chapter 28 (Forgive? Not Yet)
Chapter 29 (Effort)
Chapter 30 (Trouble Comes In Pairs)
Chapter 31 (Halfway There)
Chapter 32 (Separation Issues)
Chapter 33 (Christmas Morning Blues)
Chapter 34 (Finally Right)
Chapter 35 (Their Future)
Chapter 36 (Changes?)
Chapter 37 (For The Love Of Chocolate)
Chapter 38 (The Surprise Spawn Of Angel)
Chapter 39 (Time To Move On)
Chapter 40 (The Beautiful Rose)
Chapter 41 (Fifty-Fifty)
Chapter 42 (The Returning)
Chapter 43 (Forks And Spoons)
***Impotant***
Chapter 44 (A Shell-less Turtle)
Chapter 45 (Understand The Circumstance)

Chapter 5 (Charlotte Jackson, Or Just, Charlotte?)

31.2K 355 63
By dbookjunkie

The local farmer's market was definitely a new place to me. I've heard of the places before, but have never been to one, or I have and had been too young to remember.  We pulled onto the lot where people were setting up tables and racks for fresh produce and a lot more other things. It was just Jack, Stella, and I today. It's been a little over a week since I've arrived at the Young house and things have been a little difficult.

Avery and I have been going to the Holt's residence a lot which turned Brant against us. He can't even look at us without a serge of anger flashing into his eyes. Avery has let it go, she liked Jax too much to dwell on it, but I felt a little bad for Brant. I wish he would've came with his parents and I so we could try to sort things out, only I was hoping he could do that with Avery when he took her and Jax swimming today.

When the truck halted, Stella, Jack, and I immediately went to work. We got out and headed to the bed of the truck where the wooden boxes of produce were waiting to be put on display. Jack pulled down the tail gate and fetched the first box of tomatoes after telling Stella and I which ones were the easier to lift boxes. 

Stella grabbed a box of cherry tomatoes, and I went to grab the lettuce they had grown. Arms suddenly wrapped around me from behind and a familiar pair of lips pecked my cheek. "Let me get that for you Charlie."

He was here?!? I twirled around in his arms, brightly smiling when I saw that it was in fact him. I haven't seen him since yesterday! "Clay!" I squealed. He easily caught me when my excitement took over and I jumped into his arms. I hugged his neck, giggling like a maniac because he was here. 

"Hey princess" he softly chuckled in my hair. I don't know why I was suddenly attached to him, it just kind of happened. When I finally unlatched my legs from around his torso and gave him back his space, he grabbed a box of produce and showed off for me. I thought it was cute how he would carry a box, then come back and pick up twice as more than the first time. I leaned against the truck, watching as he glanced at me to make sure his efforts weren't in vain. Trust me, my eyes were glued onto those muscles of his. 

He helped Jack finish setting up a lot quicker when he was showing off, I could tell Jack and Stella were thankful for his macho act. Clay returned to the truck, only this time he flipped me over his shoulder and carried me to the stand that Stella and Jack had sat up. 

"This is the last thing Jack" Clay said in a serious tone. "Although I think I'll keep this fine looking item to myself. How much?"

I giggled and hit his back, demanding to be let down in between my laughter. There was no way Jack was going to sell me. "Eh, I'll take a penny for it."

"Jack!!" I shrieked. His deep chuckles made me smile, but it wasn't until Clay actually slapped a penny onto the wooden table did I really smile my widest. 

"You two go look around" Stella ordered. "I'm sure Charlotte is curious about the market."

That I was! Clay set me down on my feet, his hand taking it's new favorite place which was in mine. "Alright then" Clay beamed. "Come along beautiful maiden that I bought for a penny, I'll show you the ropes around here."

He tugged me along, staying by my side as I looked at these new surroundings. Rows after rows of fresh produce, homemade things, and even animals were present in the outside market. I clung to Clay like a lost child, looking over everything that we passed by. 

"Mrs.Sue, you look beautiful as ever" Clay smoothly told an elderly woman selling her homemade quilts and jewelry. Her brown hair was greying, and she had wrinkles, but Clay was right about her being beautiful.

"Oh stop it" Mrs.Sue told him with a wave her hand, but a flattered smile. He leaned over her table, kissing her cheek to make her feel even better about herself. This woman was definitely like fine wine, because even with her age she was outstanding in looks. She must have been killer when she was in her teen years.

"I swear Mrs.Sue, you are one of the most beautiful women I have ever met. If you weren't married to Burt, I'd marry you myself" Clay told her with a soft smile. The way he talked and looked at her, it was extremely charming. He didn't care what people thought as long as he could get her to smile and feel beautiful. 

Mrs.Sue just waved his words off but was clearly amused by him. "Stick to the lovely girl holding your hand" she said with a stern look. "You'll never get this." I giggled when Mrs.Sue playfully rocked her hips. 

Clay gave a pout at her words, then looked to me with a different caring expression. "Mrs.Sue use to baby sit me while I was growing up. I've tried my whole life to get her to marry me, but she always tells me I'm too young."

I gave his back a feign sympathetic pat. He stuck his tongue out at me and tugged me into his side. "We'll be going Mrs.Sue. I'll come by sometime this week for a cookie date."

She gave a nod, playfully blowing him a kiss that he pretended to faint over. I couldn't stop myself from laughing, their banter was just too cute. Clay led me away from that table and guided me on down the line. 

Along the way we tried free samples of jam, cheese, and Clay even stopped by the food cart so I could try Danny's which was like a hot dog stand, only it had so much more than that. He got us both barbecue sandwiches, a medium fry to share, and one ice cold glass of Motown's finest sweet tea that was served in mason jars that you got to take home. 

There were a series of picnic tables near Danny's food cart. We took a seat on the first one and began eating. "So what was with that greeting earlier?" he asked with a smug smile. "You act like you miss me or something?"

I snatched the french fry he had picked up out of his hand and shoved it into my mouth. "Says the one who called me princess" I shot back. 

"We missed each other then" he concluded. "I didn't stay up all night wondering if you liked me as much as I like you for no reason, right?" With a timid smile, I shook my head. "And I'm not dreaming?"

I leaned over the table, pinching his cheek to prove that he was perfectly awake. He cracked a grin, stealing a cheek kiss before I settled back into my seat. "I do like you Clay" I made sure he knew, even if confessing this made my whole face burn in embarrassment.

"Even if I don't have nice things or a ton of money?" he had to ask. "Cause I'm dirt poor Charlie."

He doesn't get it. "I don't care about money Clay. I didn't build up my boutique for money, I did it for my mother. I'm not the wealthy one, my father is. If it wasn't for him, my boutique would be closed down and I would be starving. Do you know how much I get paid from my sales?" 

He gave me a worried look. "I didn't mean to upset you Charlotte." 

I took his hand in both of mine, smiling at him in reassurance. "I'm not upset. Clay, I don't get paid at my own shop. All the money I earn goes to inventory, maintenance, bills, and my employees. The only reason why I have nice things is because my father showers me in them as I'm sorry gifts."

Clay sadly smiled at me, completely sympathetic towards my life. My family has so many problems that I'm not even sure who we are anymore. Were we a family, or enemies? "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to go crazy" I quietly murmured.

"It was a good crazy Charlie, you opened up to me." He  stood up, coming around my side of the table and sitting next to me. "Now finish your sandwich and we'll go look around some more."

I gave in to what he wanted, mostly because the sandwich was extremely good and I didn't want to worry him. He munched on some more french fries, took a swig of sweet tea, then focused on rubbing my back in comfort. I quietly ate my sandwich, knowing that he had to think I was some psycho now. Out of the corner of my eye I could see him smiling at me. Maybe he was the psycho one? 

"If you have nothing to do later, would you come and help me with Bolt, the black horse?" he asked. "I finally got him to come to me, and now it's just a matter of getting him to calm down in the round pen. He might settle down faster if he sees your calm, beautiful blue eyes."

He really was a smooth talker. "If you want to see me later, just say so" I told him with wink.

I had expected some kind of witty comeback or a line to make me blush, but he simply said, "I want to see you later." He didn't hide any emotion flickering around in his dazzling eyes, he let me see that he meant every word.

For the first time, I was so drawn to him that I could hardly contain myself. Closer and closer my face drew near to his, right up to the point that I let my lips touch his cheek for the very first time today. Kissing him like this, it was definitely intimate to me. It wasn't lip on lip action, but I did realize that the same feelings I got from when he kissed my cheek, they prickled throughout my body when I kissed his cheek. 

"I'll be over later then" I whispered. What was this boy doing to me? Just one smile from him directed towards me made my stomach do cartwheels and my heart pump faster than it has ever done before. It was amazing, but also scary. 

He didn't let me feel the fear part, only the part that made me feel like the most special girl in the world. Once we finished every scrape of food, we grabbed our sweet tea and walked hand in hand around the market some more. 

I didn't know where we stood exactly. We flirt, hold hands, and talk, but he's never asked me to be his girlfriend. My mind was itching to know whether this was just a weird flirting friendship kind of thing, or if he really wanted people to see me as his girlfriend. I've never done this dating stuff before so I had no clue what was going on. 

He takes me on riding dates, we've even had a picnic under his mother's weeping willow tree, but was dates all it was? I was deeply confused, and I've wanted to ask Brant what I should believe, but he's not speaking to me like the mature guy he is.

Finally I just laid it out there, it was bothering me so bad that I was just going to boldly say it. The worse thing that could happen was him saying that it wasn't more than a friend thing. "Clay" I squeaked. He looked away from a table selling hunting knives and focused on me. "We've been hanging out for a week now, does...does that mean something?"

I was such a wimp! My tone was quiet and scared, I just couldn't help but feel anxious about it. I liked him, I liked him a lot. "Well" he murmured with a lopsided grin. "I was hoping it meant you were my girlfriend. I'm really terrible with extreme romantic things so I had no clue as to how to ask you." He swung our joined hands then let go and slipped his arm around my waist in a protective way.  "So should I get down on one knee and ask or is just asking enough?"

Because I knew he wouldn't do it, I smirked and said, "Get down on one knee." 

He gave me a weird look, stopping me from walking and nearly getting us trampled by the rest of the crowd that had arrived over the time we ate. I was about to tell him that I was kidding, but the crazy boy actually took my hands in his and dropped down to one knee.  "Charlotte Jackson?" My jaw dropped. I quickly looked around to see if anyone was looking, bad choice. Everyone had pretty much stopped to see what Clay was going to say. I looked back to the the pink cheeked boy gazing up at me with his beautiful green eyes that ignited sparks within me, wondering if he was dropped on his head at birth. "Will you be my girlfriend?" he nervously asked. 

I could practically feel everyone looming over us, waiting for some response out of me. My heart pounded and I gulped down my fear before shakily replying, "Yes."

He shot to his feet and enveloped me in a hug that lifted me off the ground. I quietly laughed, hugging onto his neck while he told me I wouldn't regret it, I wouldn't regret us. People who weren't disappointed about it not being a real proposal clapped in approval. "I told you that I would do anything for you Charlie." 

He pulled away a little, bringing his smiling lips to my forehead. "Come on, there's more of the market you need to see." Willingly I followed him around the rest of the market, just enjoying the rest of the time with him until we made a circle back around to Stella and Jack. Clay had only come to the market for some homemade cheese that his dad wanted him to fetch for the homemade lasagna they're having tonight. I didn't want him to go, we had only been together as a official couple for a few minutes, I wanted to spend more time with him. 

"I'll see you later Charlie" he assured when I pouted at the fact he was leaving. "Don't eat any dinner before you come over. You'll love my dad's lasagna."

I still pouted because he was leaving. It wasn't going to kill me not to see him for a little while, I just honestly didn't want him to go. I've heard of girls being clingy, and I of course didn't want to be in that category, so I hugged him and let him go. "I'm going to miss those celeste blue eyes of yours" he sighed, petting my hair while we hugged one another. "I'll see you soon." 

He let me go, glancing over his shoulder at me as he strode away from the produce stand. Stella grabbed me, demanding to know everything that happened within the hour Clay and I spent together. I was too excited to speak, I just smiled like an idiot, until I remembered a certain someone who also called my eyes celeste blue. I hope he's okay.

--------------------

I was freaking out. First of all I had no clue as to what to wear, I didn't know if I needed to bring something for tonight, and I knew for a fact that I was a terrible cook. In times like these you need your best friend. Of course I tried calling Niona, but her line was busy, leaving me with only one other person I could talk to.

It was a bad idea, I was just desperate for anything to work. Cautiously, I approached Brant's room where I knew for a fact he was playing his guitar because I could hear it. When I knocked, the playing stopped, but he didn't dare come to the door. I knocked again, wanting to verbally plea for his help but if I did he would never let me in. Thankfully he opened the door.

He made eye contact with me and swiftly went to close the door. "Please Brant!" I begged, sticking my arm inside and hissing when the door slammed on it.

"Charlotte! Are you out of your mind?!" he yelled. He tossed his guitar on the bed and came out into the hall with me. He inspected the expanding bruise, then hurried me along to the kitchen so I could ice it. 

"Please help me Brant, I don't know what to do. I'm suppose to be going over to Clay's to hang out and stay for dinner. What do I wear? Do I bring anything?"

Brant retrieved an ice-pack from the fridge and quickly held it onto the green bruise on my forearm. He looked up at me, his expression clearly saying he did not want to be any part of Clay and I. "He's my first boyfriend Brant, please help me" I pleaded. I hated being clueless, it was definitely nerve wracking. Every second I worry about messing everything up to the point that Clay's whole family will hate me. That was something I most definitely did not want. 

"You worry too much Charlotte" he sighed. "If Clay likes you, he wouldn't care if you showed up at his house wearing pajamas. You're a beautiful girl Charlotte, everything looks nice on you and I'm sure Mr.Holt doesn't expect you to bring any food. Clay knows you're a terrible cook."

I hit his arm at that last comment, no matter how true it was. This girl couldn't even make a simple pot of ramen noodles. Knowing me, I probably couldn't even cook a poptart. "Just be yourself, don't overreact and make yourself nervous, and you'll be fine."

For the first time in a while, Brant Young smiled at me. He was probably still upset, but hopefully Avery softened him up today. "Thank you Brant." I gratefully hugged his neck and hurried off go find a different outfit. 

I found a red and white plaid button up shirt that tied at the hem, revealing a little of my stomach, and a pair of jeans. It was as casual as I was going. Even though Avery would kill me if she knew, I grabbed some eyeliner from my suitcase in her closet and applied a little to bring out my eyes more. 

When my look was completed, I yelled through the halls that I was leaving. Hopefully someone heard me, I was too eager to get to Clay's to stay around and find out. Lately I've just started to walk to Clay's. it's good exercise and there was a beautiful view, you couldn't really beat that. I was excited to see him, I have had that feeling a lot lately. 

With a pep in my step I made my way down his driveway. Half way down, Jax drove up on his four wheeler and escorted me the rest of the way. Jax was probably one of the best kids ever. When I was fourteen, I was one of those awkward kids who kept to themselves and only talked to my small circle of friends. Jax was outgoing, lovable, and sweet as can be. 

He dropped me off at the round pen which was located next to their barn, and then he had to go help Ray out with some food preparations. I watched him leave for a moment, but then my head immediately turned to the pen that Clay was standing in the middle of. The black horse named Bolt circled restlessly around and around the red barred fence, snorting and whining all the way.

It was up close that I could finally see the horse's scars from where he had been abused. Just the thought of someone hurting this beautiful horse made me angry. Hopefully, whoever did this is in jail right now. The biggest scar was down his nose, right in between those scared brown eyes of his. He didn't know what to do, he just didn't want to be hit anymore. 

Clay was so wrapped up in studying him, my presence was unknown. I didn't speak or announce my arrival, just quietly walked over the pen and locked eyes with the terrified animal. The horse jogged over to me, examining if I was a threat or not. "Hi buddy" I softly cooed. I bent down, picking some lush green grass and extending my hand to him. He sniffed the grass in my hand and cautiously nibbled it up into his mouth. 

Clay climbed over one of the panels of the round pen, slowly making his way over to me so the horse wouldn't  spook. "I don't know what it is about women that horses respond better to, but it's effective" Clay sighed. I smiled at him, reaching up and wiping the perspiration off his brow for him. I swear he was the cutest when he just got done from working. 

"Thanks Charlie." He gently grabbed my face, pulling me in close so he could place a caring kiss on my forehead. "You look beautiful by the way." 

He wrapped his arms around me in between my thank you. My arms instinctively went around his neck, holding onto him like a monkey. "You look sweaty, but it's hot on you." I winked at him, trailing my finger down the side of neck. He shivered under my touch, pulling me closer to him by my waist.

"You're asking for it Charlie" he warned, his eyes turning to playful like he was a kitten ready to pounce at  it's favorite toy.

"What?" I asked with a innocent smile. "Can't a girl tell her boyfriend that she loves it when he's all manly and sweaty?" 

His hands gripped my waist, easily lifting me up off of the ground. "That's it" he growled. "You're tempting me, and you need to cool down." He pulled off my boots, kicked off his, and ran toward the creek. I begged him to stopped, but everyone apparently loves dropping me in water. 

The creek was even colder than the lake. Just when my body hit the water, I shot up and screeched. It was like being frozen in a block of ice. Clay didn't care, he got in with me and situated my hair which was probably everywhere now. "Rule number one of living here Charlie, the only make up you need to wear on your face is a smile." He wiped my cheeks and flashed me the black marks on his palms, explaining that it had done absolutely no good to have even applied the eyeliner. 

He slicked back his hair, giving me his charming smile when he pulled me closer under water. "I wasn't thinking" he whispered. "But I now realize that you don't have any undergarments of any sorts here." I should throat punch him. "Oh well, you'll just have to wear my clothes."

He clearly wasn't a woman and understood nothing about the parts of a woman. "Even if I wear your shirt, your still going to see two important details of my girls."

His brows furrowed in confusion. "Your girls?" He looked me over and then let out a laugh. "Oh! You mean your breast!" I rolled my eyes, crawling out of the creek without him. "Oh! I see where that can be a problem now."

I turned around, extending my hand to him in order to help him out. He took my hand, carefully getting out of the creek like I had. "I'll just head home and change..."

"No" he interrupted. "We'll just stay in my room. You can shower, I'll bring up the food, we'll even watch a movie you've probably never heard of. I don't want to waste a moment."

Warily my eyes found his. Could I really stay in his room alone with him for hours, braless no less? He didn't want to, you know, ruffle the sheets or anything right? We've been dating a week, we weren't official until a couple hours ago. It was all so scary to me. "Charlotte" he sighed. "I'm not going to force you to do anything you're not ready for. I've had my moments that I'm now ashamed of, but you mean a lot to me. If you don't want to, I don't want to. I can't promise that I won't be holding you a lot, but that's all that will happen" he explained on the way toward the house. 

I felt better after that. We walked into the house, and Ray ordered us out of his kitchen because we were dripping wet. Luckily the whole house was hardwood flooring. We hurried upstairs to Clay's room, where he graciously let me shower first. He gave me some pajama pants and a baggy t-shirt, but I knew it still would show parts of me.

During my shower I tried not to worry about it. Clay wouldn't disrespect me in anyway, he made that clear earlier. I had absolutely nothing to fear. That was until I got out the shower, put the clothes on and stepped out the bathroom. 

Clay was patiently waiting on the couch, all showered up, which he probably done in s bathroom downstairs, and eating some lasagna his father had made. He looked up at me and the bite of food he had taken dripped out his open mouth, plopping back onto his plate. I crossed my arms over my chest, bringing him out of his stare. "Sorry" he lightly laughed when he saw the embarrassment on my face. "Um..." His own cheeks turned red and I looked away from him. "It's okay Charlotte."

He put his plate to the side, standing up and heading towards my way. I let him pull me into his arms, breaking down the awkward situation immensely when he hugged me tight. "Have you ever heard of the movie Fort Apache?" I shook my head, laughing at the fact that he had been right about me not know the movie. "Come sit with me" he murmured against my ear. "It's okay." 

He pulled me to the couch, grabbing a throw blanket and wrapping it around me to hide anything showing. "Thank you" I told him with a grateful smile. He handed me a plate of food and carefully kissed my cheek.  

I sat down on his comfortable couch, digging into the food right away. Ever since I've arrived here my metabolism has gone up like crazy. Everything just sounds or smells appetizing. Clay's dad's lasagna was something I could find myself marrying. It was so cheesy and delicious that I literally fell in love with it. 

"I knew you would love it. Would you like seconds?" I kindly declined while rubbing my full belly. If I ate another bite, I would die of high cholesterol problems. 

I turned my eyes to the old western movie playing on the television. It was enticing to watch something that wasn't all about sex. A lot of movies are based on those things now, and even though there was a relationship in this movie, it didn't go over the edge with scenes that should be kept private in one's life. What if video cameras really did catch us doing things like that in real life and everyone saw it? Some might be embarrassed, some might not be, but it would be embarrassing to me. 

"Why are you all the way over there?" Clay suddenly teased. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me deep into his warm side. My lips tugged upward when I felt his fingertips glide through my hair. "When are you going to ask me on a date Charlotte? This can't be a one sided relationship."

I sat up straight, nervously looking at him. He gave me a look of anticipation, waiting for me to say something. Where was I going to invite him? If I invited him to the Young house, there's no doubt there would be conflict between him and Brant. My hand moved on its own, going up to let my fingertips meet his cheek. What could I do? I didn't know what to say.

"I'd love to come over at seven for breakfast in the morning" he easily filled in. I released my stress by exhaling and brightly grinned at him. "You worry too much Charlotte."  So I've been told. He kissed the palm of my hand, giving me a wink afterwards to help me relax. 

I rested my head on his shoulder, sighing in complete comfort. "Tomorrow morning then" I agreed. The blanket wrapped around my body didn't warm me up nearly as much as his embrace. I've never felt this way before, it was amazing. 

We watched the old western together uninterrupted by chatter. He held onto me with his head rested against mine. It was just a perfect moment for me. It was like I had been transported into a romance novel. Pretty much being there with him was a dream come true. The movie had a enthralling ending, but it wasn't until the credits started rolling did I realize that he hadn't made a move since halfway through the movie. 

I slowly looked up to him, seeing that he was fast asleep. I wasn't disappointed or upset that he had slipped off into his dreams. He had to of been working hard today with Bolt in order to have been so tired. Carefully I maneuvered around and managed to get him to lay down on the couch without disturbing him. I pulled off the throw blanket around me, tossing it over his body to keep him warm through the night. 

He looked so peaceful lying there in a vulnerable like state. Honestly, it was like looking at a little boy in a man's body. Clay looked so innocent, like a male angel.  I kissed his forehead and quietly left his side. Quietly, I searched his desk nearby for a pen and paper. When I found some sticky notes and a marker, I wrote that I had a nice time and I would see him in the morning on the yellow colored paper. I pulled the note off the pad, and stuck it on his forehead without him waking. 

On my way out, I slid on my boots and made my way downstairs with my arms crossed over my chest. Ray was fast asleep on the couch, so I quietly crept passed the living room toward the front door.

"Take the truck, I don't want you walking around at night." I looked to the couch, smiling gratefully at Ray who had peaked an eye open to see who was creeping by. "Did Clay do something?"

I gave a nod. "He fell asleep" I explained with a understanding smile. Ray softly chuckled to himself, shaking his head at the thought. 

"Keys are on the rack. Be careful Charlotte." I promised I would and grabbed the keys to the little Toyota truck out front. I left their house around eight, and it was definitely a surprise to Stella that I walked in at eight 'o' one wearing Clay's clothes and no bra. 

I explained what happened so she didn't get the wrong idea, but she had been more worried about why I was home so early instead of how I was dressed. "Clay fell asleep" I explained. "He worked pretty hard today."

She gave a sad smile and urged me to go on up to bed. I made sure she knew that he would be here for breakfast before I even thought about going upstairs. The last thing I needed was to stress Stella out with a surprise guest. On my way up the stairs, I could hear Brant softly playing the guitar from his room. When I reached the hallway, the door was cracked far enough to have his light brighten the corridor. 

After making a quick stop by mine and Avery's room to change into my night gown and things, I snuck down the hall and gently knocked on the door. "Come in" Brant answered.

I pushed the door open, poking my head into the room to allow him to see that it was me. He looked up from his guitar, his brows raising in surprise. "What are you doing home?" was the first thing he asked.

I walked a little further into his room, admiring his orange and wooden theme. His curtains and comforter were just plain orange, simple and straight to the point. Paneling covered his walls because he probably didn't want to paint, but that was perfectly okay. It looked nice.

"C-Can I stay in here a while?" I hesitantly asked when I turned my eyes back to him. 

He sat his guitar on it's stand beside the bed and motioned me to take a seat on his bed. "Is there something bothering you, Char?" he verbally wondered. 

I know that Clay had just been tired, but what if I was wrong and I was just a boring person because I was immature in the dating world? Outside of the dating world I'm Charlotte Jackson, head of CJ's Boutiques and daughter of the extraordinary Phillip Jackson. Here, I'm just Charlotte. "I'm not boring, am I?" I faintly asked him.

"Hardly, Charlotte" he laughed. "Especially when it comes to you and a horse. I don't think anyone here in Motown loves horses more than you." I stared at Brant, making sure his bold blue eyes weren't lying to me. "What's with this all of a sudden?" He gently shoved me, chuckling when my back hit his mattress. "You know you're a remarkable girl, Charlotte, now what's really wrong?"

He handed me a pillow that I used to prop my head up on in ordered to get comfortable. I didn't really want to tell him my sudden fear of Clay being uninterested. For one I knew that I was probably freaking out over it for no reason. The last thing that needed to happen was for Brant to get stirred up.

He laid across the bed, looking straight down at me so I couldn't avoid him. "Aren't you suppose to be mad at me?" I finally said in order to knock the conversation in a different direction.

"If you want to be stupid, who am I to stop you?" he replied with a sarcastic smile. "Besides, you're lonely, I know what it feels like to be in that situation. I'm still trying to get over it."

I reached up and ruffled his hair, laughing when he tickled my sides as revenge. My laughter roared throughout the room. I tried rolling off the bed away from him, but he just pulled me back and tortured me. The jerk knew every single one of my tickle spots. I remember when he use to sneak up on me and tickle each spot up until I sat on him. 

He seemed to remember that because he said, "You're too skinny to sit on me and make me give in now, Charlotte! Say mercy!"

"Never!" I painfully laughed.

I tried crawling away, but he grabbed me and pulled me tightly to his chest. A gasp of utter surprise escaped my lips when I felt his hand on my outer thigh, his face hardly inches from my own. "What a compromising position" he tsked. "I wonder what your boyfriend would say about this, Charlotte Anne Jackson."

I frowned and shoved him away, hitting him repeatedly with my fist while he just laughed at how I fell into his trap. "You jerk!" I hissed at him. 

He caught my hand and tugged me on top of him. "And yet another bad position. Have ye no shame, Charlotte? I knew you use to have a crush on me, but contain yourself sweetheart, Clay might get jealous" he teased.

I grabbed his pillow and threatened to smother him if he spread any lies to Clay. If I lost Clay, my heart would be shattered into a million pieces, he knew that. "Oh, Charlotte" he moaned in fakery. "You're such a bad girl!"

I slapped my hands over his mouth so he would shut up before someone heard. His laughter rolled right along with the happy tears he was shedding as he flailed about uncontrollably. I sat to the side, my arms crossed and my glare on. He shook the bed he was laughing so hard. Finally, annoyed by how rude and mean he was, I easily pushed him off the mattress. 

He sat up, stunned at what I had just done. "I am not a cheater" I growled.

"Duh, Charlotte. Clay's the only guy you've ever dated, that's kind of obvious. You just don't realize how innocent you are!" I pulled his comforter around me, my cheeks warming in a self conscious way. "Come on, Charlotte, it's not a bad thing you're innocent. It's cute and it fits you."

I gave a slight smile when he crawled back onto the bed and ruffled my hair. "You're arm looks terrible" he muttered, carefully lifting my right arm. I didn't see anything until he pointed out that it had a little yellow coloration and swelling. "I'm sorry about that by the way. I didn't get to tell you earlier."

He ran his fingertips across of it, frowning even more at the feel. "I've never hurt a girl before, not even Avery. I worried about you pretty much all day. You didn't ice it for long so I figured it would've been sore or something."

I gave his back a reassuring pat. "It isn't sore or anything, so you can't stop worrying about me now, unless you just can't get me off of your mind..."

"And forgotten" he interrupted. I laughed, continuing to do so when he gave me a hug. "Now go to bed, unless you're going to tell me what Clay did to you that upset you."

I stood up, from the bed, throwing a good night over my shoulder on my way out. It wasn't like I couldn't tell him, I just knew the outcome if I did tell him, and the odds weren't in mine or Clay's favor. If those two really did start to fight to kill, I had a feeling they would kill each other in the midst of it. I shivered at the thought and hurried to bed. Hopefully it wouldn't happen tomorrow morning.

______________________________________________________________________

AN:)

New chapter for you!!! Banner on the side was made by my friend Carmen!!!

Let's try another Trivia Question: What was the name of the movie that Clay and Charlotte watched and Clay ultimately fell asleep during?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.8K 2.8K 23
"Here, let me help.." I suddenly felt Trevor's warm presence behind me. My eyes watched as he slowly trailed his hands down my arms. Tingles flying i...
251K 7K 26
I wrote this when I was about 13, A LOT of it doesn't make sense. Check out my other works that are a lot better. Sophia Miller is your average 17 y...
10.3K 288 17
18 year-old girl named, Carolyn, Who's mother ran off to Travel the world after Carolyn was only 3 years old. She Lived with her dad in Kansas on a s...
2.5K 63 24
AU, Modern, Steamy little story about Charlotte Heywood and Sidney Parker. For all of Charlotte's teenage years she's had a crush on Sidney Parker wh...