The Rebellious Lady Fallon: H...

By Sinaidkincaid16

Lady Fallon Brightmore secretly thought the Earl of Hampton, Braeden Kerrich, rather dashing. But at their f... More

SYNOPSIS
PROLOGUE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue

Chapter 13

109K 2.9K 341
By Sinaidkincaid16

'Emma do put on a bonnet dear. It seems we're having an Indian summer day,' the baroness proclaimed.

'Mama, Viscount Thumpston is waiting downstairs,' Emma laughed.

'I know we should not keep him waiting dear, but do not go out in the sun without protection.'

'Okay,' Emma sighed. 'This beige one will do right?'

'Perfect,' the baroness smiled. She tied the ribbons for Emma. 'You look lovely dear,' the baroness complimented proudly.

'Thank you mama, bye,' Emma rushed downstairs to go riding with her betrothed.

Emma was surprised to see Lady Carissa in their lounge.

'Lady Carissa how lovely to see you. I was just about to go riding with Viscount Thumpston.'

'Morning Lady Emma,' Carissa smiled.

'I promised Lady Fallon I would show her my new horses. They arrived yesterday,' Carissa exclaimed excitedly.

Horseflesh was lost on Emma, but Carissa, Fallon and all the gentlemen could get quite carried away.

'She has not returned from the lending library yet, strange enough,' the baroness voiced. 'She should have returned by now,' the baroness looked with concern from Carissa to Emma.

'Shall we stop at the lending library?' the Viscount offered. 'We will be passing that way.'

'I would appreciate that,' the baroness exhaled with relief. 'Fallon tends to get carried away when she's with her books. 'Emma do remind your sister, Lady Carissa is awaiting her.'

'Yes mama. Shall we leave then?' She smiled shyly at Arthur.

''Yes my lady, he offered her his hand. 'Would you like to accompany us, Lady Carissa,' Emma reluctantly invited, which Carissa perceptively caught.

'Er___ perhaps, I may give Baroness Fulham company until Lady Fallon arrives,' Carissa wisely offered.

'As you wish Lady Carissa,' Emma smiled appreciatively.

'Lady Carissa tell me about our opera evening,' the baroness tucked her arm through Carissa's and guided her into the Sunflower room.

Carissa laughed softly. 'Actually the box belongs to the Earl of Hampton, but he has kindly allowed us the use of it.'

'Will he not be there?' the baroness tugged on the bell pull, summoning a maid.

'He is unable to attend, so he asked me to fill the box up,' Carissa smiled. 'Seeing you and Lady Fallon really love opera as much as I do, I thought we'd take advantage.'

'Thank you,' the baroness smiled as she poured some tea for Carissa.

'Of course, Viscount Burward will also attend with us and so will the Marquis of Dunbar. Carissa tried to keep the excitement out of her voice.

'The more the merrier dear,' the baroness supplied patronizingly. 'I do so enjoy it when we attend in large numbers.'

'A new artist from the continent will be performing,' Carissa smiled.

I cannot wait,' the baroness laughed softly.

'Fallon! Fallon!' Emma rushed out of Burward's carriage, when she spotted her younger sister in her leafy green morning dress. Fallon looked beautiful this morning. She was smiling. She looked pretty in her dress and not surprisingly, she seemed to have attracted the attention of the Duke of Baxendale.

Fallon turned around to answer her sister's summons. She was just about to climb into the duke's carriage.

'Emma what are you doing here?' Fallon laughed softly.

'Good morning your grace,' Emma curtsied. 'I do apologize, but Lady Fallon has a visitor. Emma turned to her sister. 'Lady Carissa has arrived. She wants you to see her new horses.

'Oh how lovely,' Fallon exclaimed.

'Perhaps I can escort you to Lady Carissa's home after our ride,' the duke slyly offered.

'You're going riding?' Emma enquired with concern. 'You have not informed mama,' Emma spoke softly to her sister.

Fallon smiled. 'We were not going to be too long, were we, your grace.'

He shrugged, not in the least interested in appeasing Emma or justifying himself.

Perhaps you will ride with the duke on another occasion,' Emma's eyes pleaded with Fallon. She could not even see Fallon's maid in the vicinity. Whatever was her sister thinking, going riding unchaperoned?

'I guess you are right,' Fallon stepped away from the duke's carriage. 'I can reschedule with his grace,' she smiled at him apologetically.

'Yes of course,' Chilton had no choice but to agree. 'Shall I call on you tomorrow morning? He offered.

'That would be lovely,' Fallon nodded.

'Viscount Thumpston will run you back home in his carriage,' Emma offered.

'I can walk back Em.'

'Nonsense. Lady Carissa must be bored to tears in mama's company. We shall get there quicker in the carriage. Where ever is your chaperone, Fallon?'

'There is Louis,' Fallon laughed.

Emma turned around and saw Fallon's maid a few feet away. 'We're returning home Louis,' Emma smiled courteously.

'Yes, Lady Emma,' Louis rushed forward .

'Sorry to ruin your plans Burward,' Fallon teased. 'I did offer to walk back.'

Arthur threw his head back and laughed. 'You are not really sorry Lady Fallon. You live to ruin me,' he sighed, narrowed his eyes at her playfully. He helped both sisters back into the carriage and took the seat next to his driver. The carriage sped back to Fallon's home.

'Thank you for rescuing me from Baxendale,' Fallon moaned. 'I don't enjoy his company, but I was unable to decline his offer.'

'A simple "no thank you," would have sufficed,' Emma reprimanded.

'The duke can be persuasive,' Fallon sighed.

'And you know very well to hold your own Fallon. It was wrong of him to accost you at the library.'

'Perhaps,' Fallon smiled mischievously.

'Fallon,' Emma sighed, speaking softly. 'I wish you would exercise more decorum.'

Truth be told, yes Fallon had wanted to go with the duke, just to get the image of Braeden out of her system, but it had not worked. Whilst Chilton had talked incessantly about what she could not recall, her mind had been on the brooding earl. Where was he? What was he doing? Was he with one of his ___ lovers? Fallon hated that she felt an unwarranted tug in her heart toward him. Braeden was not hers.

He did not want her. He would prefer somebody like Emma, beautiful, ladylike, docile, virtuous... unlike her. She had thrown her innocence at him at a whim. And what good did that do her? He had been unimpressed. He loathed her, for sacrificing herself, even if it was him that had done the deflowering.

The duke returned home in a furious rage. His butler stood ready with a tray of his master's favourite malt. Chilton angrily sent the tray flying from the butler's hand. He marched up to his chamber in frustration. He went into a frenzy in his chamber tossing the furniture about. Damn it Lady Fallon, you will be mine. Before long, you will become mine. A chambermaid went scurrying into the master's chamber to investigate. 'Get out!' he yelled, shoving her violently against the wall.

'Yes, your grace,' she winced from the pain and hastily retreated.

Fallon hurried into the Sunflower room to find her mother talking unremittingly. Carissa was politely attentive. Poor Carissa had had to suffer the baroness's laborious prattling.

'Lady Carissa,' Fallon chortled. 'I do apologise for keeping you waiting.' Fallon left her books on the cabinet.

'Lady Fallon,' Carissa's eyes brightened. She stood up, extending her arms to embrace Fallon. 'I hope I did not rush your visit to the library.'

Fallon shook her head dismissively. 'I was done. Emma caught up with me, as I was about to leave.' She turned to her mother. 'Thank you mama for keeping Lady Carissa company.'

'Okay dear,' the baroness smiled, proudly. She seemed to have enjoyed the impromptu duty.

'Thank you baroness,' Carissa acknowledged.

'So I do believe you have something to brag about,' Fallon laughed.

'Yes, would you like to see?'

'It's why I hurried back,' Fallon nodded enthusiastically, tucking her arm into Carissa's.

'Let me show you,' Carissa laughed, as she led Fallon outside to view her brand new spunky mares.

'Oh I do believe you will be the envy of the ton Carissa,' Fallon allowed her palm to gently pat down one of the mare's neck. 'They look beautiful,' Fallon sighed happily.

'I don't think they can compare to Lord Hampton's enviable Arabians,' Carissa answered.

Fallon's heart muscle corded at the mention of Braeden's name. She was bravely standing in front of the mares, gently teasing their mouths open. 'Perhaps not,' Fallon shrugged, 'but they're still fairly young,' she smiled. 'They're fit and healthy.'

'Father does not want me driving too far before the grooms have thoroughly trained and broken them.'

'Shall we take a short ride?' Fallon enquired.

'Yes,' Carissa nodded to her groom. 'It is a lovely day to be outside.'

Carissa and Fallon climbed into the carriage. The groom drove at a steady pace. Fallon peeked out the window and watched the mares. 'This one's a sprinter,' Fallon laughed at the one fighting with the reins. She is rearing to go and annoyed at the groom for driving too slowly. I would love to saddle her and just ride out in the country.'

'Perhaps on Saturday morning, we could do just that,' Carissa invited.

Fallon stuck her head back into the carriage. 'Oh, I can't wait. Incidentally, has Emma told you her good news?' Fallon grinned.

'Has Burward offered? Oh I am delighted.' Carissa recalled Emma's reluctant invitation to accompany them.

Fallon laughed. 'Yes, he has.'

'I am delighted at the good news,' Carissa's voice sounded sad.

Fallon caught the despondent tone. 'Then why the Friday face?'

'Carissa looked up at Fallon. Sometimes I wonder if Dunbar ____ feels the same for me. Perhaps I should look ___.'

'Nonsense,' Fallon laughed. 'Have you not seen the way Drew looks at you? He is smitten with you,' Fallon took Carissa's palm into her own.

'Are you sure Fallon? I am so confused? I see the way Emma and Burward exchange knowing looks. It is not like that with me and Drew.'

'If I have not seen it with my own two eyes, I would be uncertain, but I have, Carissa. Drew cares deeply for you, he does.'

'Let us talk about more enjoyable matters,' Carissa smiled. 'Are you looking forward to the opera?'

'Oh indeed,' Fallon nodded enthusiastically. 'I cannot wait. What will you wear?'

'I have a new gown,' she smiled. 'It is a beautiful sunflower yellow.'

'I will wear a scarlet gown,' Fallon decided. 'I have not worn it yet.'

'You will certainly attract the attention of the gentleman in that colour,' Carissa teased.

'Perhaps a certain gentleman,' Fallon smirked mysteriously.

'Pray, do tell who he is?' Carissa begged.

'I shall whisper to you, when he arrives,' Fallon lied.

'Indeed?'

'Indeed,' Fallon promised.

Fallon's eyes swept across the crowded hall, it was quite warm in the room. She waved her fan over her face in a bid to cool herself. The opera had not started yet. Patrons were still busy with refreshments. Fallon longed to walk outside and enjoy the cool evening breeze. She was certain her mother would disapprove. She strolled about, greeted an acquaintance here and there and when the bell sounded, she enthusiastically walked to their seats. 'Come Em, Carissa, hurry.'

The lights had dimmed. The show had just begun, when there was a hustle in their box. Distracted by the disturbance, Fallon looked up, surprised to see Braeden elegantly attired, accompanied by an attractive lady.

'I thought you said Hampton was not attending,' Fallon spoke softly in Carissa's ear.

She shrugged. 'He said he was unavailable.'

'And his guest?' Fallon questioned curiously. She could not see too clearly in the dark, but the outline of the lady's features looked striking.

'Lady Abigail,' Carissa whispered. 'Rumour has it that her family is in dire financial straits and a rich suitor is needed to rescue them.'

'So she has set her cap on Hampton?'

'Shush,' Emma whispered.

Fallon felt her chest constrict. Her interest was lost in the show. She kept her eyes trained on the artists even though her mind was curiously on the couple to her left.

During the intermission, Fallon was reluctant to leave her seat. She wanted to cower in the darkness and wallow in self-pity.

'I need some coffee,' Carissa tugged on Fallon's arm.

'I do not really need any refreshments,' Fallon declined.

'Come on, get up Fallon,' Carissa laughed. 'We have fifteen minutes.'

'That was spectacular,' Emma smiled as they walked to the refreshments table.

I wouldn't know. I hardly paid attention. Fallon's eyes scanned the reception hall searching for Braeden, but she did not want him to catch her seeking him out. She glanced around admiring the colourful evening gowns on display. There was a kaleidoscope of blue, purple, red, green, black and silver gowns in the most fashionable styles. Every lady looked splendidly beautiful. Fallon smiled appreciatively.

'Good evening ladies.'

'Carissa, Emma and Fallon turned around to see Chilton Wentworth smiling charmingly.

'Good evening, your grace,' they greeted, Emma in a reserved tone, Carissa politely and Fallon in a friendly tone.

'It is warm inside. Would you care to walk in the garden, Lady Fallon.'

If he could get her outside. He could put his plan into action.

'No Fallon,' Emma whispered in her ear.

'Sure,' Fallon agreed, accepting his arm. If Braeden was here with a companion then she did not want to be seen without one.

Fallon walked with Chilton to her mother to inform her of her plans. The baroness asked Emma and Burward to act as chaperone.

'I was disappointed we did not get to enjoy our ride,' he smiled devilishly.

'I do apologize. We shall have to remedy that.' Fallon's mind was not really on Chilton or a ride with him. Her mind was on another gentleman or was it a rake?

They continued to stroll in the gardens, Emma and Burward a discreet distance away. 'There are some benches just to the left there,' Chilton lied. He was shrewdly guiding her towards one of the side exits that led to a darkened, unused road. Fallon was merrily chatting away unbeknownst of Chilton's devious intention. It was only when Fallon suddenly felt Chilton's wrist tightened around her hand, did she look over her shoulder and realize they were quite alone in a darkened unsafe path and Emma and Burward were nowhere in sight. A cold shiver washed over Fallon. Fear gripped her like never before in her life. She knew beyond a shadow of a doubt she was in danger.

-end chapter thirteen-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 57 32
On the Island of Niapachad, there are rumors and mystery that would bring you back in time as the inhabitants of this island is a blast from the past...
7.2K 217 44
"Are you afraid?" she taunted, "big, strong man scared of me?" she gave me a sly smile. On her in an instant my hand was around her throat and she wa...
34.6K 986 24
* Sutton's breath caught, almost like the room was suffocating her and the most intoxicating amazing smell flooded her nose the room became smaller w...
1.3K 91 26
Running away from something, or someone- she couldn't quite remember-, Raven was unknowingly aided by the beta of the Bloodrose pack. He led her to t...