Gone Country

By dbookjunkie

Charlotte Jackson may be rich, but her life is hardly a breeze. Her father is marrying a young gold digger na... More

Gone Country
*Prologue*
Chapter 1 (Battles)
Chapter 2 (It's Not A Date, But It's A Date)
Chapter 3 (His Mother's Apron)
Chapter 5 (Charlotte Jackson, Or Just, Charlotte?)
Chapter 6 (I Promise)
Chapter 7 (He's Crazy)
Chapter 8 (Keep On Truckin')
Chapter 9 (Fighting)
Chapter 10 (One Call)
Chapter 11 (Two Right Feet?)
Chapter 12 (Decisions)
Chapter 13 (Help Wanted)
Chapter 14 (Should've Told Her)
Chapter 15 (The Strong Ones)
Chapter 16 (Fix It)
Chapter 17 (In A Jam)
Chapter 18 (Blaring Distress)
Chapter 19 (Acceptance)
Chapter 20 (Their Place)
Chapter 21 (Who's Not Good Enough?)
Chapter 22 (Out The Country, Into The City)
Chapter 23 (His Letter)
Chapter 24 (Turning Over A New Leaf)
Chapter 25 (Our Day, My Day?)
Chapter 26 (Let It Out)
Chapter 27 (Save The Girl)
Chapter 28 (Forgive? Not Yet)
Chapter 29 (Effort)
Chapter 30 (Trouble Comes In Pairs)
Chapter 31 (Halfway There)
Chapter 32 (Separation Issues)
Chapter 33 (Christmas Morning Blues)
Chapter 34 (Finally Right)
Chapter 35 (Their Future)
Chapter 36 (Changes?)
Chapter 37 (For The Love Of Chocolate)
Chapter 38 (The Surprise Spawn Of Angel)
Chapter 39 (Time To Move On)
Chapter 40 (The Beautiful Rose)
Chapter 41 (Fifty-Fifty)
Chapter 42 (The Returning)
Chapter 43 (Forks And Spoons)
***Impotant***
Chapter 44 (A Shell-less Turtle)
Chapter 45 (Understand The Circumstance)

Chapter 4 (Change Of Plans)

32K 395 82
By dbookjunkie

I was up bright and early, even earlier than Avery. After last night with Brant at the lake, I had calm down from my rage and was willing to talk to Clay myself without Brant and Clay going Rocky Balboa on each other. 

I quietly got out of bed, fetching some clothes for the day from my drawers. Hopefully Clay was up, even if it was six in the morning. I carried the jeans and red tank top into the bathroom, where I thoroughly rinsed out my tooth brush just in case those two lunatics decided to sprinkle salt on it like yesterday. 

I brushed my teeth, combed my hair, and changed out of my night gown into the outfit I had tossed together. It didn't need to look impressive, I wasn't trying to impress anyone.

When I opened the bathroom door to leave, I came face to chest with someone, a shirtless someone who had a familiar amazingly sculpted torso. "Morning Char" Brant sleepily yawned. He playfully tossed his arms around me, squishing me in a bear hug that made me squeak out giggles. "Where do you think you're going missy?"

His muscles slowly quit flexing around me in a suffocating manor, and I looked up to him, bravery lacing my quivering heart. "I'm going to talk to Clay" I explained. "Alone."

Brant sighed, but nodded in approval. "I've been thinking about that too, and I think it's best if you handle this on your own. Your first breakup, how exciting."

I'd hardly call it a breakup, we had just gone on one date, that was it. This was more like a 'I don't want to get hurt' meeting. Brant stroked my hair and sleepily smiled. "Don't be just another girl Charlotte, make him regret losing you before he had you."

That sounded like a good idea to me. I thanked him on my way out, but he grabbed my waist, pulling me back. "The best way to get him is with tears" Brant whispered in my ear. 

I made a mental note of that, then strutted off. Since I wasn't sure anyone else was up yet, I crept down the steps and hurried to the back door so I wouldn't disturb the rest of the family. My boots were on the back porch next to everyone else's. I picked them up, cautiously shaking them out and making sure no critters were inside before I shoved my feet in. 

I decided that I would walk there. It was too early to saddle up a horse and go, more like I was just too lazy to do it. Either way, I started my journey down the driveway. I'd have plenty of time to think on the way there, I definitely needed to. Now was the time I missed my mother's encouraging words. She always knew exactly what to say or do. I could practically feel her presence beside me on my journey down the dusty dirt road. 

The sun was slowly peaking in the dark blue sky, illuminating the pathway before me. I turned right onto the next dirt road, seeing the Holt family's gravel drive way from here. My stomach wrenched in a nervous feeling, mostly over seeing him face to face. He played me, took advantage of me, and didn't think twice about doing it. Why did his eyes seem so innocent but his actions pour out lies?

The closer I got, the less courage I had. My courageous levels were dropping too quickly, so I ran towards the driveway and forced myself to walk down it. I didn't get far before I saw him in the back field sitting on a bucket with his back toward me and his eyes locked on a horse farther away from him. He pulled off his hat, used the back of his hand to wipe away the perspiration on his brow, then returned his cowboy hat to its place on his head.

I climbed the white wooden fence, cautiously walking over to him. The black horse in the distance bolted off across the plain when it saw me and Clay groaned in frustration. "I'm sorry.." Clay shot to his feet, turning around to face me with bright emerald eyes. "I think I scared it away."

Clay didn't say anything, his hands just tightened around the lasso rope in his hand. He looked down at the rope, clearing his throat before telling me, "It's okay, I've only been sitting out here since three this morning."

I knew I had to say something, even with him acting extremely bashful this morning. His charms just couldn't get to me this time, I had to avoid them somehow so I could speak my peace and go on with my life. Still, we were silent. A breeze would blow through the tree tops and cause the leaves to shake, but that was the only noise that could be heard. All the horses they had were still as we stood there not looking at each other. It was almost like they knew this talk had to happen. 

"I have to tell you something, Charlie."

I looked up at him, wondering what lies he would drown me in next. Wasn't I already hurt enough? I thought that for once I could have someone instead of just having work. What had I done to deserve something like this? Was the fact that I hated Chanel the reason why I was undateable? Could Karma be punishing me?

"Charlie" he sighed. He walked closer to me, letting me see his eyes as they crumbled away the feign act they once held. "I like you a lot..." I nearly scoffed. "And because of that I did something stupid."

My eyes widened. What on earth was he doing? He reached out to me, brushing back some of my hair behind my ear in a caring way. "You're successful, beautiful, and I'm just a farm boy who knows nothing about your world. I thought if I used my best tricks you would like me, but I feel so guilty for treating you like my past girlfriends and even tricking you. I'm so sorry, Charlotte."

What was I suppose to do now? He apologized in a way that made my heart hurt. I should have let Brant come with me, he could've handled everything. "Brant told me about the apron" I whispered. "About you and other girls."

Clay's head dropped, but he didn't deny one word, he just said, "I'm sorry, Charlotte, I'm so sorry." 

I was so lost on what to do. He seemed so helpless and I wasn't sure if he was being honest or not. How was I suppose to trust him when he destroyed that before it happened, then again he confessed about it before I could even tell him that I knew. Didn't that count for something? 

"I don't know what else to say" he quietly admitted. "I don't expect you to give me another chance Charlotte, that's not why I'm apologizing. I just want you to know that I'm truly sorry for what I did and that if there's any way to make it up to you, I'll do whatever. I'll hurl myself off a cliff if that's what you want."

I crossed my arms, a sly grin tugging onto my lips as I looked him over. My eyes searched around us and I nodded toward the creek nearby in the wooded area. "Go skinny dipping in there."

His cheeks turned crimson when he looked over his shoulder at the creek. He said anything, and this was the perfect revenge. Even though he seemed embarrassed about the idea, he pulled off his shirt and tossed it at my face. My nose scrunched at the smell of sweat it had been doused in, but I held it for him nonetheless. He walked off to the creek with me in behind. I perched on a small boulder, where he piece by piece laid down his clothing. My eyes dropped closed just when his boxer briefs did. I listened as he stepped into the creek, hearing him hissing at the low temperature of the trickling water. 

I peaked an eye open, giggling to myself when I saw him there, teeth chattering while he rubbed his cold arms. The water thankfully came up to his waist, but knowing he was completely vulnerable in the water was amusing. He looked at me, his eyes sincerely apologetic. "I know it's hard to trust me right now, but I swear I'm sorry Charlotte. I'll stand here until I die of hypothermia if that's what you want. I'll climb up the tallest oak and free fall down if that's what it takes for you to forgive me."

Of course I would never let him die, and I did believe him. Something told me he wasn't kidding, that he really did like me and had just been intimidated. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, after all I knew exactly how he felt. "You're not just a farm boy to me Clay" I told him as I searched his pants pocket. "You're the first guy who has ever shown any interest in me."

I grabbed ahold to the keys in his pocket and widely grinned. "Now get out of there and I'll take you out for breakfast."

In shock, his jaw dropped. "I don't understand Charlotte, I hurt you..."

"And I'm willing to give you another shot" I told him with a shrug. "If you screw me over again, I'll knee you in a place you'll regret you had."

His face lit up in joy. I've never seen someone so excited about being threatened in my whole entire life. I was serious about it, although I'm sure Brant would beat me to the punchline, if he cared. He was going to throw a hissy fit when he found out about this. 

"I won't mess up this time, I promise Charlotte. No more old Clay, just new Clay who has learned from his mistakes."

I shielded my eyes so he could dress. I knew for a fact that he was in dire need of a shower, I guess breakfast would have to wait for a little while longer. He got out of the water, his feet padding over to the rock where his clothes were. I was sitting there, expecting him to be dressing, only to surprise me when I felt him kiss my cheek tenderly. "Thank you Charlotte" he murmured against my skin. "I'll make everything up to you in a even better way, you just wait and see."

I was almost scared of how he was going to make it up to me. The last thing I wanted was for him to spend money on me. I know some guys have the tendency to buy everything to make the girl they're with feel special. I didn't need expensive things to live, I'd rather be here in calm, peaceful Motown than New York any day. It was like having a vacation everyday, of course I never take vacations anymore. 

"Okay, let's go" Clay urged. I opened my eyes, letting him take my hand in his even though I was still a little uncertain about this. His shirtless torso told me it was okay though. I believed it because he was too beautiful not to. There was nothing wrong with second chances.

Clay led us out the woods with a bright smile directed towards me. I clung to him with only a little fear that he was going to disappoint me. "You look beautiful this morning by the way" he told me on the way to his house. 

I smiled, quietly thanking him for his compliment toward my appearance. I could hardly believe so since I didn't even try to find something to wear. He looked over me before actually flirtatiously winking towards my way. My cheeks warmed at the thought of him actually thinking that I looked nice when I probably looked like a train wreck. I've always wanted someone to not care what I looked like and still find me beautiful.

We walked into his house through the back door. He placed his finger over my lips, telling me to be quiet. I gave a nod, letting him know I would. Like a mouse, we snuck upstairs to the hall that led to a door. He opened it and pulled me inside the spacious bedroom.

The only bedroom here that I've seen was Jax's. Clay's room was beautiful. His dressers, bed, and even closet looked hand made out of cedar and were beautifully stained. His covering was a nice shade of forest green that matched the curtains to his only window in this top room. He had his own couch and television. It was like his own bachelor pad up here, complete with a bathroom he hogged to himself. I've got a feeling I'm going to be fighting Avery and Brant soon over who gets to shower first.

"Make yourself at home Charlie, I'm just going to shower and get ready."

I took a seat on the couch in the middle of the left side of the room, away from his bed on the right. Above the door on the wall were two small windows I hadn't noticed that also helped to brighten the room. In the windows were small picture frames of images of a young Clay with a beautiful blond haired lady who I'm presuming is his mother. I sighed at the sight. 

While Clay showered, I wonder what she had been like and if she would have scolded him for doing what he had done to me. Was she as nice as she looked? She seemed like a proud hardworking mother in both photos. In one photo I noticed that she was wearing a apron that looked nothing like the one Clay lied about. The one I had worn was just a pink one with no details or anything, the one in the picture was covered in a sunflower print. 

"She would've loved you."

I look toward the bathroom door, seeing Clay gazing at the photos in the window. He was dressed in some jeans and a black button up shirt, ready to go out for breakfast. "She would've killed me, but admired you for doing this, for giving me another chance to make it right."

His eyes traveled to me, a small smile pulling onto his lips to show he was grateful. I stood to my feet, warily smiling back as he casually strolled across the room. "After breakfast, I wanna take you somewhere I've taken no other girl. You can even ask Brant if I have or not when you go home."

He grabbed ahold of my hand again, but this time he made sure my fingers laced with his. We weren't lovers, but he had no problem acting like we were. I let him lead me downstairs to the front door. He took the keys I had fished out of his pocket earlier and opened the door for me. "I'm buying by the way" he informed, walking out behind me. 

I gave him a look. Clearly I said that I was paying earlier, of course he tuned me out when I mentioned it again. He swung the passenger door open on the old Toyota I had driven last night, motioning me to get inside. "By the way Holt" I said seriously, stepping up to him so he could feel my intimidation. "If you ever think of me less than normal because my father has money, I will break your arms. Got it?" 

He nodded, his pearly whites almost blinding me as he grinned. I got into the truck and buckled myself in. My outfit wasn't going out worthy, I'd just have to buck up and withstand not being in my best. "You're going to love MiMi's. Their food is the absolute best" Clay told me when he got into the truck.

"As long as they have bacon, I'm good." 

------------------

Think of the most terrible and awkward moment, times that by infinity and you have how I felt at the moment. Everything had been smooth sailing. Clay told me more about himself and was very open about his past. He told me how he use to use girls for companionship, how when he first saw me in that valley when he was fighting Brant, he knew I was different. Indeed I was.

I listened to every bit, even when he explained how he felt after he did the fake apron trick. "You looked so honored Charlotte" he had said. "It ripped me apart inside." He went on to explain how the other girls just thought of it as a regular apron, but not me, it was like he had handed me a trophy. I had sincerely thought of it that way.

Then, as we walked into MiMi's Diner hand in hand, I got a rush of comfort from the truth he had told me. That comfort lasted for about three seconds until I saw the Young family in a booth nearby. Brant and Avery were smiling, I had no clue as to what Stella and Jack were doing, their backs were facing me. I was frozen in place, shocked that I had to face this problem now.

Maybe he won't see me.

A pair of blue eye's looked up at me, the smile on his face immediately dropping when he noticed Clay's hand in mine. Why, oh why, did this have to happen? I am the unluckiest person ever! "Great" Clay muttered under his breath. I looked up to him, sheepishly smiling when I saw he had spotted Brant.

"He's going to do something if we stay." Clay gave a shrug in response and bravely pulled me over to their wooden booth. Brant glared at Clay while the rest of his family warmly greeted him. He grabbed a wooden chair at a table behind us and took a seat. I said nothing when he pulled me onto his lap so I could sit as well. 

"I was wondering where you disappeared to this morning, Charlotte" Stella said with a excited grin. Her eyes flickered in between Clay and I, causing my cheeks to warm in embarrassment. "I'm hoping this is a date."

Clay rested his chin on my shoulder when he pulled me further into his hard chest. "Yes ma'am, it is" he responded. Stella raised a curious brow at me, probably wondering why I haven't said a thing about dating their neighbor and her son's foe. "If it's alright with you Mr. and Mrs. Young, I'd like to take her out tomorrow as well, and Avery..." Avery looked up when her name was spoken. "You can come along and hang out with Jax if you would like."

Avery gave her parents hopeful eyes, but they didn't have a problem with it, Brant on the other hand was glaring at her. He couldn't say anything or tell her what to do because his parents were there, so the double date was set in stone. "Also Mr. and Mrs. Young, can Charlotte stay with me for the rest of the day...?"

"No" Brant suddenly snapped. "She still hasn't even done her morning chores yet." He shoved a piece pancake into his mouth, angrily chewing it up and stabbing another flapjack on his plate that had been soaked in syrup.

"I'll help her" Clay said as if it was no big deal. "What's her scheduled chore for the day?"

"Watering the cows" Jack answered in between chews of his sausage. "Charlotte, why are you so quiet over there?"

I was too scared to speak, that's why. Just one look from Brant and I knew that he really did hate me this time. Those flamboyant sapphire eyes of his hardened at the sight of me. Goosebumps rose on my skin from that look. It had suddenly felt drafty in here. "I don't know" I lightly laughed. "Guess I'm just too hungry to realize what's going on."

Clay nuzzled his nose against my cheek. "Let's go take a seat and get you some grub pretty lady."

I nodded, just wanting to get away from this table already. Clay allowed me to stand, then stood up with me. He insisted that we just move a booth down even though I would have been more comfortable across the room. I slid into one side of the booth, the side with my back facing the Young family's booth. Brant and Avery were both behind me, but Brant's cold aura could be felt miles away. 

Clay slid a menu towards me just when a waitress in a cute cowgirl outfit came strutting over. "Hey Clay, how's little Jax doing?" she asked with a bright smile.

"He's good, Julie" Clay insured. "How's your mom, is she still in the hospital?"

The fiery red head gave a nod, her eyes showing her deep concern. "She's doing better. The pneumonia is lightening up on her a little bit. Her breathing is better."

Clay gave her sympathetic eyes, also showing his concern for the girl's mother. She bravely smiled on and asked what he would like to drink. "Orange juice for me Julie."

She turned, looking at me with an stunningly believable smile. After hearing what I heard, I'm not quite sure I would be here if I was here. The poor girl probably had to work to pay her mother's medical bills. "Who is this beautiful girl Clay?" she asked in a teasing voice, gently shoving him to get her playfulness across.

"This is Charlotte, my girlfriend." He gave a proud grin while I resisted passing out into the floor. Did he really just call me that? We've only known each other for three days! One moment I'm thinking I'm going to be sad and lonely, then bam, I'm a taken woman? How does these things keep happening to me?

"She's a good catch, look at those blue eyes." She nudged him again as they both looked me over. I shied down in my seat, looking away from their stares. What was wrong with these people in this town? There must be something in the water supply. Hopefully I won't get infected.

"Trust me, I know all about those crystal blue eyes of hers." I looked up at Clay just when his fingertips slipped into my hair above my left ear. "They can haunt you if you're not careful." His head tilted to the side. "Are you ready to order Charlie?"

I opened my mouth to speak, words just wouldn't come out. Like an idiot, I shakily squeaked like a animal in distress. "Do you want pancakes?" he asked. "They're the best." 

My mouth closed, leaving me to nod instead of verbally communicating. He couldn't blame me for being so shocked, I mean he just announced that I was his girlfriend and hardly knew me! "Two plates of flapjacks then?" Julie concluded. Clay agreed and got us both sides orders of bacon. Julie scurried away to have our food prepared.

"Are you okay Charlotte?" Clay stroked my cheek like everything was perfectly normal. A noise behind me made me stiffen. It was then I remembered that Brant was sitting right behind me.

"No she's not okay Clay!" I heard Brant lowly hiss. I was suddenly pushed over in the booth seat and joined by none other than Brant. "She is not your girlfriend."

They shared hate filled glares, arguing with their eyes so they wouldn't disturb the other families in the diner who were enjoying their breakfast. "I know that Brant, but what else was I going to call her, my friend? There's no way I'm going to call her just my friend."

Furiously Brant pulled me out the booth, dragging me away to murder me no doubt. He forced me toward the hall that held the bathrooms, giving me a stern look when he roughly pushed me into the wall. "Ow!" I growled, punching his chest in response. I'm sure the punch hurt me more than him, but he got the idea not to be too rough with me.

"What is your problem? Charlotte what happened this morning? Why are you on a date with him instead of home eating my mother's stash of chocolate chip cookies and whining about how awful guys are?"

Now his anger was pointed it at me, and let me tell you, being on the other side of enemy lines was not refreshing or comforting. "You see what happened was.." I started. He gave me a 'this better be good' look. "I went there to tell him I knew, but before I could even begin to say my words, he deeply apologized and confessed to everything. He was sincerely upset, he even went skinny dipping in the creek because I told him that if he did I would forgive him. I believe him."

In frustration, Brant ruffled his hair and let his back hit the wall behind him.  "He's never done that to a girl before" he quietly muttered. "Clay Holt never apologizes for the way he uses girls."

So Clay was being serious then? The thought made a smile tug onto my lips. He was actually trying for me? "I like him Brant" I tried to negotiate.

He looked to me, letting out a deep sigh. "I still don't trust him Char, but if you want to be an idiot and fall in his bear trap, go ahead."

He didn't even show a sign of happiness for me, he just pushed off the wall and walked away without another word. I waited until I was sure I wouldn't be walking behind him, then elegantly made my way to Clay. I took my seat, smiling at him when he pushed my plate of pancakes toward me. "What was that about?" he questioned. 

"Just Brant being Brant" I replied. Clay reached over, cutting a piece of pancake on my plate with his fork, and slowly bringing the piece to my lips.

With a heated face, I opened my mouth, accepting the bite he had personally cut for me. "Don't worry about him Charlie, he'll understand someday." He wiped my mouth after he shot me one of his charming winks. His emerald eyes assured me that Brant would come around. I highly doubted it, but I didn't let it bother me any further. 

Clay kept the conversation away from Brant after that. He told me about the black horse this morning and his profession. Clay Holt was a professional horse trainer. The black horse I spooked this morning was his newest client. A man by the name of Jerry Davis had brought him yesterday night after their cookout, and the horse just had trust issues because he was abused by whips and things growing up. All the poor horse knew was fear.

I ate my pancakes, listening as he told me his methods with horses like these. First of course, he had to gain their trust. He was currently in that stage and by sitting on that bucket, the horse would eventually get curious and come to him. "I don't care how long I have to sit out there, I will gain that gelding's trust" he had said. 

He reached over, brushing his thumb over my lip to wipe away the syrup dangling there. Slowly he brought his thumb up to his lips and licked the maple syrup away. I wriggled in my seat, letting my hair fall in my face to hide my embarrassment. 

"Charlotte..." I looked over my shoulder at Jack just when he rested his hand on top of my head. "You should get home and get your chores done so you can continue this day with Clay."

Jack was a kind and gentle man, that's why I didn't whine or fuss about the chores. For Jack, I'd jump off of a bridge. "Just let me pay for the food and we'll be right there Mr.Young" Clay quickly told him on his way out the booth. Jack ruffled my hair, giving me a smug look on his way to pay for his family's check. The same look was on Stella and Avery's faces, one that was suggestive about what was going on. Brant just scowled at nothing on his way out the diner door. 

"Charlie, come here." I looked away from everyone, sliding out the booth and catching up with Clay at the registers. He smiled at me when I reached his side. "Would you like anything sweet for later?" He motioned to the rows and rows of cakes, pies, cookies, and danishes sitting on the wooden bar. "Besides me of course, which you don't have to wait till later to have me."

He kissed my cheek, the action making me suck in a gasp of astonishment. His lips were so rough but gentle. The way they brushed up against my skin, I had to grab onto the counter for support. "You're so cute" he softly chuckled. "You act like you've never had a guy kiss you on the cheek before."

Forehead yes, cheek no. I felt so stupid for being unexperienced. I've never even held hands with a guy before, despite my father and Brant when we were younger. Everything was new to me. "Come on Charlotte" he lightly laughed. "You're pulling my leg right now. You've never had a guy kiss your cheek before?" Shyly I shook my head. "On the lips?"

I was going to lie so I didn't look like a total idiot, but then I remembered that he had lied to me at first and it wasn't a great idea to begin with. I did the next best thing than lying, I avoided his question. "Quit making fun of me" I quietly murmured. "I have chores to do."

Courageously, I flip of my hair, storming out the diner before he started asking more questions. It didn't work, he was right in behind me. He grabbed ahold of my waist, his strong hands easily pulling me back into his chest. "Charlotte, are you a virgin in dating?" he whispered in my ear, not wanting anyone else to hear my issues.

"I've worked my butt off to build up my boutique...."

"So that's a yes" he interrupted. I turned around, narrowing my eyes up at him to show my annoyance. He didn't really seem disappointed at my lack of knowledge, but he did seem upset about something. "Was yesterday your first date?"

I linked my hands behind my back, looking down at the concrete as I rocked back and forth on my heel. "Maybe" I said in a faint tone. He took my hand, carefully pulling me into his chest and hugging me. 

"I'm sorry Charlotte." He stroked my hair while I inhaled a scent like no other. Was that his cologne that smelled of a amazing blend of spices? "Your first date wasn't suppose to be filled with lies and tricks."

A unexpected peep came from me when he lifted me up in his arms and continued toward the truck. "I'll make it up to you somehow Charlie." When I looked up, determination was evident on his face. With that look, I knew he meant it.

-------------------------

Hanging out with Clay was one of the best experiences. We got back to his place around eight or so, this was after he helped me with my chores of course, and then he just took me riding. 

We saddled up Chevy, mounted, and rode off onto one of the many trails in his back yard. He allowed me to sit behind him and hold him for a change. I think he liked it this way better, he reached to his stomach and fixed my arms every five minutes so they would hold him tighter. I knew it wasn't for a safety reason because I had been holding on pretty tightly. He just wanted to make sure I was still there.

We rode through a beautiful scenery of trees, fields, and creeks. Nature was extremely beautiful on horseback. Here in Motown while riding on a horse, deers come out to see what was going on and held no fear toward us when we passed by. Butterflies perched on the purple blooms of wild butterfly bushes grown along the pathway. I recognized them from a report I had to do in middle school about specific flowers insects like bees and butterflies are drawn to. 

Slowly we passed them, causing a disturbance where every kind of butterfly took flight into the air. I resisted a gasp as thousands of multicolored butterflies fluttered around us, creating a beautiful and majestic scene. It had truly been a spectacular moment. In awe I watched the wings of blue, purple, orange, and even yellow, flap and soar against the breeze. They were all so beautiful.

"Charlotte?" I looked away from the butterflies, resting my chin onto his back to let him know I was listening. "Remember earlier when I said I wanted to take you somewhere I've never taken another girl before?"

I nodded against his muscular back, too speechless from the show that had happened moments ago to speak. "We're here" he completed.

I sat up just when Chevy walked into a meadow full of wild flowers. In the distance was a beautiful weeping willow tree with a simple swing attached to one of the tree's strong limbs. "My mother loved that tree, so my dad made her a swing to use whenever she wanted to come sit a while."

The tree was beautiful and lonesome. Just looking at it's natural drooping leaves made you wonder why it did such a thing. Some things just can't be explained, even with all the scientist in the world. They could probably tell you how the tree droops like so, but they'll never be able to tell exactly why it does it or how the tree first started doing it.

Nature can really baffle you, but so can Clay. He made Chevy trot through the field of wild flowers to the tree. Clay didn't think twice about not getting off the horse or pulling me off once his feet were on the ground. He was determined about this. With my hand in his, he pulled me to the swing for a closer look. 

"This time, Charlotte, it's real" he honestly let me know. "No tricks or lies, this is a real thing of my mother's."

He brought his hand up, using it to caress my cheek in a caring way. I didn't know what to say, I definitely was honored that he brought me here, but why did he? His green eyes revealed nothing to me but happiness, and his lips just curled up into a smile, mirroring that sparkle in his eye. "Well, are you going to sit down or what?"

He stepped behind the swing, patting the seat of it to show me what he meant. I shook my head, refusing to taint his mother's favorite spot. "Charlotte" he whined. 

"No" I sternly interjected. "I'm not sitting in your mother's swing. It's important to your father."

Clay huffed at my stubbornness. He strode up to me, playfully glaring down into my eyes. "Listen woman" he huskily whispered. "You're going to sit on this swing." I crossed my arms and looked to the side, completely ignoring him. He softly growled and grabbed me by my waist. A exhilarating buzz ran through me as he crushed me into his body, using my new weakness of his lips to almost make me give in. He brushed his lips against my ear and softly murmured, "Please Charlie," in a tender begging manor. He didn't bother for an answer, he knew he had me.

I didn't fight him when he lifted me off the ground, I just tightly held on to him. He gave in a little too. Instead of making me sit on the swing alone, he sat down and held me in his lap. I looked up at the weeping willow that provided excellent shade for everything under it's branches, admiring it even better up close. Clay rocked us back and forth on the swing, not saying a word while we enjoyed the scenery. 

It was a pretty cool morning, even with the sun overhead. Chill bumps prickled across my skin, causing my body to react to the heat he was giving off. I rested my back against his chest, smiling when he rested his chin on my shoulder. "Are you cold Charlie?"

I gave a nod. A tank top was definitely not the right choice for morning attire around here. He made me stand, and I watched him slowly unbutton his black shirt. I've seen his bare torso before, I wasn't sure I could handle seeing it again. Luckily for me he was wearing a tank top underneath. It still didn't help with hiding those gorgeous arms of his though. 

Gently he clothed me in his shirt, the smile on his lips impossible to ignore when he pulled me into his body. My heart was going crazy, I felt like it would explode, but I liked the feeling nonetheless. The way he would graze his fingertips across my cheek for a reason I didn't know, it was probably the most heart gushing action. I had to run away from this boy before something happened, only, I didn't want to run away.

"Yesterday" he whispered. "I wasn't lying when I told you that you were beautiful." He rested his forehead against mine, squeezing his arms comfortably around me. "And I would definitely kiss you right now if you were any other girl, but you're not."

He pulled away without another thought. I let my bashfulness get the better of me and hid my face into his chest. For the first time ever, I was letting a boy be romantically interested in me. All I've done is surround myself in work, trying to succeed for my mother so I could remain close to her. What about me? I have never done anything for just myself. Sure, I love fashion and my boutique, but I didn't get there for just me. 

I looked up to Clay, wishing I knew the future. What if everything happened back home for this reason, for me to find Clay and be eternally happy? "You're making this incredibly difficult right now Charlotte" he softly laughed. "You're innocent blue eyes and kissable lips are the biggest temptation. Just thinking about being the first man to steal your first kiss..." He gave a pained look as he groaned in desire. "You have no clue right now."

I laughed when he squished me in a bear hug, lifting me off the ground and kissing my cheek over a million times. He stumbled, tripping himself up in a way that sent us crashing to the ground. I couldn't help but laugh harder at his embarrassed face. "Shut up gorgeous" he muttered. 

We laid out on the ground under his mother's weeping willow, staring at each other while we laughed in unison. This Clay Holt was the one I wanted to get to know. The lying player Clay Holt was disappearing by each second. His hand slipped into mine as his eyes flickered over my face. Just one look from him made my cheeks heat over. Some things just can't be explain, and this urge to lay next to him for a long while was one of those things.

________________________________________________

AN:)

Trivia Winner Is: kristie834!!!!!!

Only two people played, so ForeverCupid and ShellyMills1, you both are winners too! Thanks so much for participating :)

Picture on the side is of Ranger and Chevy, Brant and Clay's horses. 

Any thoughts or favorite characters yet?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.9K 2.5K 46
This isn't the story of how the city girl fell for the cowboy, oh no, this story was how the city boy fell for the home grown country girl. Harper w...
4K 146 18
Charlotte King. A bubbly, smart, fun teenage girl to be around. Until her mother died. She becomes nearly mute and almost a loser. Her dad gets an of...
71 1 21
The story will be in Avery's POV the whole book except for a small part in chapter 18 Avery is an average 17 year old with normal parents, and a norm...
2.5K 63 24
AU, Modern, Steamy little story about Charlotte Heywood and Sidney Parker. For all of Charlotte's teenage years she's had a crush on Sidney Parker wh...