HONEYDEW (A murder mystery)

Oleh voracious_writer

#1 What's hot list Aleena is extremely distraught by her father's tragic death. But what follows is a series... Lebih Banyak

NOTE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Not an update
Chapter 14
Chapter 15~
Chapter 16~
Chapter 17~
Chapter 18~
Chapter 19~
Chapter 20~
Chapter 21~
Chapter 22~
<Chapter 23>
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Not an update
~EPILOGUE~
~Ecstatic~
~Acknowledgment~
~One-shot / Poem~

Chapter 13

10.1K 806 53
Oleh voracious_writer

Dedicated to all my wonderful readers who never cease to motivate me, and I love seeing the names of your reading lists to which this book is being added, they are LOVE :) I couldn't withhold this chapter from you any longer.

Aahil kept a gentle hand on my shoulder and retrieved the piece of paper. He ran a shaky hand through his silky mane, "You are not to worry, this man is only trying to scare you."

I nodded my head robotically, still in turmoil.

"I assure you that I will not allow anyone to harm you,' He delivered with confidence, "Do you get that?"

"Of course you wouldn't allow it, as you are incapable of reaching the billion dollars without me," I replied sarcastically.

"Aleena ....," he clenched his teeth, "this isn't about money."

"I don't care who gets the file and stop acting like my bodyguard. I am quite capable of protecting myself," I snarled.

"You..you..what did you just say? You don't care who gets the file," He grated.

I showed indifference.

He let out a small laugh, "Why would you care for other people's lives, as all that matter's to you is money. After all, what can one expect from a gold-digger."

I was not going to cry in front of him and give him the satisfaction of him knowing that he had hurt me.

"Your father worked for years on that project. He had almost reached the end. His research has the power to save a thousand lives and if it reaches the hands of a wrong person, then the danger it could cause to mankind at large," he paled, "The mere thought makes my stomach sink."

He glared at me, "Your father was crazy to imagine that a silly girl like you would understand its importance!"

I fled to the bathroom without replying.

"Come out this instance. I am not done with you."

He knocked on the bathroom door, "You act like a schoolgirl, immature, argument and tears every five seconds."

I left the shower open which drained his voice coming from outside. I didn't need any more words from him. Did not want them at all. I understood too well my importance in his life, and the understanding made my heartache.

I was just a means to reach that file. All the care and concern was for the person who had knowledge of the whereabouts of a file worthy of a billion-dollar.

Sometimes, I wondered,

What would happen after the file was found?

Would Aahil still want me around?

------------------
The police commandant, Henry Schiffer, three uniformed policemen and detective Green hamilton were seated in the living room with a grim expression on their face.

Henry Schiffer eyed the envelope with gloves on his hands and then passed it onto the handwriting expert who after staring at it for another few minutes dropped it into a bag.

'Have them tested for fingerprints too,' Detective green hamilton exclaimed and the handwriting expert nodded his head.

He then turned to Aahil, "Sir do you need protection?"

Aahil shook his head, "We already have security here but it is a shame that the person who sneaked into the villa isn't captured in any of the security cameras."

"Which states that he knows this place thoroughly," Henry Schiffer exclaimed thoughtfully.

"Maybe," Aahil replied meekly.

"Sir we could hide your wife until this case gets solved. It could lessen the chances of her being attacked."

All-natural vitality left Aahil's skin, "Thank you, officer, but I don't trust anyone regarding her safety, so she will remain here."

He then turned towards me and added with a lopsided grin, "However, for a change, I am enjoying the role of a bodyguard," He was trying to provocate me for my earlier childish behaviour.

I felt embarrassed and acted like I wasn't paying heed to the conversation.

But my heart was still beating thunderously, I wasn't yet ready to face all this.

"We need to solve the case of Ayaan Aboobaker's death before we even look into the present incidents because everything is co-related. Until now all potential clues have to lead to a dead end. We would have liked to start an open investigation but it will alert Rizwan Farooqui of our doubts regarding Ayaan Aboobaker's death being a murder, and then he might erase all clues in a flash," Detective hamilton looked deep in thought, "Mrs Hussain, I would like to take your statement please have a seat opposite to mine."

I felt extremely nervous. All this felt like a thriller movie to which I had been added without consent.

"Could you tell me details like when you saw your father for the last time?

Did you know where he was going?

Who informed your family about his death?"

I tried to hold my hands together so that no one might notice me shivering slightly.

I had tried my best to suppress the reality that dad had left us and wasn't ready to speak about his death.

It was too painful in light of the day.

I felt warm hands on my shoulder. I did not need to turn around to see who it belonged to, the touch was so familiar now.

Surprisingly such simple gesture eased my tension and I was ready to relate all that I know.

"Shall we begin?"

"Ok."

"Do you mind if I record your statement?"

I shook my head.

"It was Sunday and dad had the day-off. Like every weekend we had planned to go out for dinner. I and Ayath were arguing over the colour of my dress when mom came over and informed that dad had to go to the office to do some unfinished work which resulted in dinner being cancelled."

'But who works on a Sunday? that too at 8 in the night,' I and ayath had asked in unison.

'Your dad is a scientist and because of the secrecy of his work, I never disturb him when he is in the laboratory nor do I ask him his work timings as he really forgets to keep track of the time, when he gets very excited in his research,' Mom said with her face beaming as she was proud of dad.

Detective Hamilton stopped the recording machine and asked, "What kind of secrecy?"

His question jolted me to the present.

But thankfully Aahil replied to that, "Only a few very brilliant Scientists were assigned to work on a secret project and they had given their written consent that they will not share its information to any other company, person and not even to their families."

Detective green hamilton looked unimpressed with the reply. He would only be satisfied with a detailed explanation.

As if Aahil sensed it, he immediately added, "I will discuss it later with you in the study, I can even show you government papers of approval for all the high profile research's that takes place in our company."

This time detective Hamilton nodded, but it was as if he had permanently pasted the grim look to his face.

"Mrs Hussain lets continue with the interrogation."

"I, Ayath, Ali and mom retired for the night after we all had dinner together in the living room.

I fell asleep as soon as I hit the bed but woke up with a nightmare and after tossing and turning for a few minutes, I realised that I couldn't sleep and went to mum's bedroom.

She was awake and Offering her late-night prayers. I sat by the bedside and waited for her to finish.

Her mobile started ringing and as she was still engrossed in prayers, I picked it up only to be thrown into the worst reality of our lives.

A police officer was on the line and he asked for the widow of Ayaan aboobaker. I got so angry that I practically shouted at him, for dialling the wrong number.

After ten minutes, there was another call.

This time it was another officer apologising for the inconsiderate behaviour of the previous officer and then he added that dad was very ill and his family needs to rush to the hospital.

After that, I don't really remember what happened. I heard mom speak on the phone and then she was on the verge of fainting. I shouted. Ali came running, then all of us rushed to the hospital.

As soon as we reached, we were informed that they couldn't save dad.

Something had gone wrong while he was working on the chemicals and his body had absorbed the excess amount of hazardous gas.'

I couldn't control the flow of tears which had the mind of its own. I tried my best to rub them with the hem of my hijab.

"Officer," Aahil waved his hand in the air, as a sign for the detective to stop the interrogation.

He held my hands in his and guided me to our bedroom and asked to stop thinking of the past and take some rest.

I went to the balcony and sat on the swing and stared at the farthest mountains which could be seen from this place and I couldn't stop myself from comparing it with my life.

I did not know where did I actually fit in, just like I did not know which place that mountain belonged to.

My life was exactly like the beautiful enchanting scenery in front of me. Breathtakingly perfect from far and all the imperfections could only be seen from a closer view.

I turned to the sound of footsteps to find Aahil come towards me. He produced a tissue-wrapped bundle.

He thrust it into my hands, It was a brisque gesture rather than a giving one.

Puzzled, I parted the layers of the tissue. It was a posy of massed violets.
I laughed out of sheer nervous reaction to the gift and the way he had presented it.

"I heard you love flowers, so I thought it could bring a smile to your sad face."

"Is this supposed to be a part of our truce?" I asked shaking my head in bemused reproach.

His eyes softened, "One of them," he said grimly, "I have never given flowers to a lady."

"You never have?" I asked quietly, looking at him with wondering eyes, searching for the meaning that I might have missed because of my own churning emotions.

Of course, Aahil would never do such a thing. Romantic gestures such as flowers and frills weren't a part of his personality. It was definitely not his style. But he had still compromised on that and given it to me.

Whatever it might imply, I was just happy at the sight of beautiful violets.
I automatically lifted the posy to my nose to sniff the scent, then rushed to my bedroom to find a vase and filled it with water and carefully lowered its stems into the vase.

Aahil nodded towards the vase, "The flowers really please you, Aleena?"

I returned my own puzzlement at his curious question, "Didn't you think they would?"

He gave an offhand shrug, "I guess I don't tend to think along those lines."

"Why?"

"How can such simple gesture bring so much happiness on your face? I never had anyone do simple loving gestures towards me, of course, I had every costly item one could wish for and I haven't yet understood the concept of buying love."

Now I realised why he had given the posy wrapped in tissue rather than an actual bouquet. He considered it dishonest to have to buy affection in return to his gift.

The revelation gave valuable insight into how he tended to think. Somehow it also undermined a few of my resentments.

The holy Quran warns frequently against niggardliness. A Muslim couple is encouraged to exchange gifts and surprises. Some men will go to any lengths to impress their wealthy male friends or colleagues, and yet cannot bring themselves to buy their wives a box of sweets!

He was still looking at me, waiting for a reply, "Whatever you spend for the pleasure of Allah, you will be rewarded for it. You will even be rewarded for the morsel which you put in the mouth of your wife," says a hadees I reminded him. It's not the cost. It's the thought, the gesture that counts. You don't have to buy anything, I would be just as pleased with some wildflowers. It's doing things that show care, "I tried to explain, wanting him to understand. Realizing that he might not have experienced such unconditional love as he did not allow people to come close to him. He had seen life rip away the most important person of his life and probably he wasn't still ready to love another person, as he was afraid of losing.

In a way, I suppose I had been spoilt by all the attention I was getting by my little family and I missed that kind of indulgence from Aahil.

So in a type of perverse pride, I had withheld from him what he had withheld from me.

And only now did I realize, how wrong that had been. He did not know any better about love and care, but I did. I would try to bring that sweetness in his life and replace all the bitterness he had endured.

"Would you like to go to dinner with me? We have an excellent Italian restaurant only a few blocks away," Aahil asked thoughtfully with a crooked smile.

"Does it mean that Aahil Hussain is asking me out on a dinner date?" I inquired, earlier tension disappearing and my face softening into a rueful smile.

This time he laughed.

It was the first time I had seen him smile so wholeheartedly, my heart jolted at the sweet melody of his laughter. A soft warmth flowed through me just by looking at him.

It was almost another hour before we set out for the restaurant. As it was only a few blocks away, I had insisted that we walk. He had agreed on a condition that I allow security to follow us on a car.

It was middle of winter, and the night air was particularly crisp after the warmth of the villa, but it made my sense's feel even more vibrantly alive.

It was a beautiful night. The stars were out. A light breeze rustled the leaves in the trees along the footpath and most importantly Aahil was beside me.

There are no guarantees in life, I told myself. All we could do is try to make the best of what we have at the moment.

"Here take this jacket, the weather is really cold," He held up his leather jacket which he had slipped from himself.

"But, I am wearing my hijab and abaya," I reasoned.

"It isn't as warm as this jacket, stop arguing and wear it this instant."

First time I did not want to argue with him and somehow I felt happy to do so. I slipped his jacket over myself and his perfume engulfed my senses making my heart flutter a thousand times.

And now it wasn't the weather that was causing goosebumps in my arms. I felt such a range of emotions that I couldn't exactly some-up my feelings.

It seemed like If Allah willed, then marrying Aahil would turn out to be the best decision of my life!

---------------------
Vote *comment *follow <3

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

23.5K 745 24
Asslamuylikum wa rahamatullahi wa baraktuhu he furiously cupped her face and leaned little, he said .. """ Your are MINE .. ""do you understand ""...
10.3K 320 11
Two different souls with same level of attitude if cross paths.... what do you think, will happen? Aarohi Shukla, A young, fierce renowned prosecutor...
610K 30.3K 84
"Neither I am leaving you nor this place...samjhe??" saying I fisted his collar even more tighter and pulled him close to me. He was not even ready t...