Chapter 11

Shaken awake in a vaguely familiar bedroom to the sound of someone recite the Quran with perfect tone, I slowly lifted my head off the pillow to find bemused eyes of Aahil on me.

Fully dressed, he was sitting on the couch opposite to the bed with the Quran in his hands, every vibrant battery recharged, energy sizzling from him in waves.

He looked phenomenal.

"What time is it?" I mumbled.

"It is time for you to get up or you might miss fajr." He replied as he closed the book and held it close to his chest.

"Why are you dressed so early in the morning?" I muttered around a sleepy yawn and stretched.

"A lot of unfinished business awaits me," Aahil told grimly.

"Will Isaac be punished? I don't think he is guilty," The words were out of my mouth even before I had time to register them.

"Isaac," Aahil savoured with seething satisfaction, "I will break him in two."

Ya Allah.

I hadn't meant to initiate an argument.

''Why try to show him in good light now? While you had so easily ditched him before?"

I gasped in horror appalled by the sight of Aahil's clenching fist and rampant aura of physical violence, "Does the fire still burn for both of you?"

I flinched, tears of strain stinging my eyes, "He was only a friend," I replied meekly.

Aahil lifted his palm gesturing me to stop, "I have no intention to spoil my morning discussing your past affairs."

"Where are you going?"

"You care?" he dealt me a dark, brooding appraisal, his mouth compressing.

"I wouldn't want the police to give him any harsh treatment, for all I know he might even be innocent so I want to be present when he confides as to why he tried to break in the safe."

He was more confusing than a jigsaw puzzle at one moment hard and unyielding like a stone statue and the very next moment soft and kind-hearted.

I might not return until late in the evening and I want you to be extra careful and don't go anywhere without Dilshad, "Have I made myself clear?"

I nodded my head, "I hope everything turns out good."

He raised his eyebrow as if my concern was fake and then left without another word.

--------------------
"You actually want me to believe that Haania confessed that she has feelings for Ali?" I uttered in disbelief over the deafening volume down the line.

"Well, it mightn't precisely be the way you put it just now, I just had my doubts and it is -----" Rushda hurriedly replied.

"If it is true then I would be glad to have her as a sister," I interrupted in incredulous joy.

"Aleena, actually I had to speak about something important."

"What is it?"

"Only you could help us. Please persuade Aahil not to involve the police and withdraw the case. I am sure Isaac is innocent."

What should I reply? Rushda already had enough to worry about. If it was in my power I would do anything to lessen her burden. Lately, her married life was at stake and now her brother was arrested.

"Please calm down. I'm sure that there won't be any injustice."

Somehow I had a firm conviction that Aahil was a very good person.