Childhood Crush | ✓

By treblehearts

You know when you have a ridiculous crush on somebody super famous because you were just a kid, but you knew... More

Chapter 1: Returned
Chapter 2: Embarrassing Reunion
Chapter 3: The Welcome Back Party
Chapter 4: New things, New friends, New idiots
Chapter 5: Cammie
Chapter 6: A Little Love Here and There
Chapter 7: Up Sides and Down Sides
Chapter 8: Catching Up
Chapter 9: Secrets, Lies, and Waffles [Part 1]
Chapter 10: Secrets, Lies, and Waffles [Part 2]
Chapter 11: Words on Paper
Chapter 12: The 'Trick' in Trick-Or-Treat
Chapter 13: Meet the Angry Manager
Chapter 14: Suffering From Kiss Withdrawal
Chapter 15: Dance With Me Sweetheart
Chapter 16: It's in the Job Description, Sis
Chapter 17: In Need of an Escape
Chapter 19: Death of Me
Chapter 20: I Am Not Thankful for Your Presence
Chapter 21: Don't Give Up On Us
Chapter 22: A Walking Cliché
Chapter 23: From Gentleman to Ladies Man
Chapter 24: Once Upon A Stormy Night
Chapter 25: Chicken Soup Can't Heal a Heart Break
Chapter 26: Beware of Death Threats
Chapter 27: No Matter the Miles
Epilogue - NO SEQUEL

Chapter 18: A Route Down Memory Lane

64.6K 2.1K 1.1K
By treblehearts

Go read "Perfect For Me" by simplyynina, an undiscovered gem who deserves more reads on her fabulous story (:

Song to the side is "Closer, Faster" by Against the Current, check it out and enjoy the chapter, ignore typos as usual! <3

*Macey's POV*  

It was half past seven in the evening by the time Emma and I arrived home from the mall. We hadn't bothered to take a pit stop and buy some food on our way since halfway through our drive, Emma felt her time coming.

I'm positive that we went ten miles over the speed limit, turning our journey home into some joy ride, in order to save her favourite pair of jeans from being stained red.

We quickly skidded to a halt in front of our house before Emma began scrambling out the car.

"They're in the bathroom cabinet." I called after her. Emma's heels clicked rapidly up the driveway and disappeared into the house. Sighing, I climbed out of the car and slowly made my way to the trunk. I nearly groaned at the amount of bags in the trunk. I never knew how much Emma could shop until she dragged me along for the experience. Know I knew better to make up excuses if I didn't want to shop for hours.

Because my exhaustion didn't give me the will to take two trips, I piled all the bags onto my arms and dragged myself to the house. They immediately, however, gave way once I stepped foot inside. I looked down at the pile of bags dully. 

I'll pick them up later. Or tomorrow. I was way too tired.

I kicked the bags to the side of the door and trudged up the stairs to my room. I shut the door and pressed my back to it, my eyes closing in their own accord. When was shopping so tiring? If I knew Emma was going to shop for as long as she did, I would've made up the homework excuse, just as Adrian had done.

With my eyes still closed, I hung my jacket on the back of my door. A sharp scream left my lips when I turned around to see a silhouette in the darkness. The shadow shot up from its seat on my bed and rushed in my direction.

I couldn't believe this. I leave for a few hours to do something simple as shopping and a random person was in my bedroom, ready to rape me.

If I'm not mentally scarred after this day, I will forever shop online.

Before my fist could connect with the stranger's face, it was caught and my lights turned on, revealing a startled Adrian staring back at me. 

I let out a huge breathe of air. Thank god it wasn't some kind of murderer. I pulled back my fist and punched his shoulder instead, giving him an annoyed look. "You scared me!" I cried out.

Adrian chuckled at me. "I could tell."

I rolled my eyes and pushed past him, falling backwards onto my bed. "What are you doing here?" 

"I'm happy to see you too." He said, collapsing next to me.

I turned my head to him. It was then that I noticed his stiffness. Something happened. And something tells me it was Thomas. "You okay?"

Adrian ran a hand through his hair and down his face, moving his head in a nodding and shaking manner, breathing deeply. I waited patiently for him to collect his thoughts and took the time to analyze him. It was obvious that he was upset. I could tell through the set jaw and clenched fists pressed against his eyes that were tightly closed.

The sudden uniqueness of his choice of clothes caught my attention next, and I knew he wouldn't have gone out in public if not for someone running him out due to annoyance, which brings me back to the whole Thomas thing.

Why they still kept him around if he was annoying as hell, I don't know, but I do know that I'll help Adrian give him the break he needed. And tonight was the perfect night to do it.

"Get up." I said suddenly, getting up from my bed and retrieving my jacket out of my closet once again. Adrian opened peeked through one of his eyes and raised an eyebrow at me.

"What?"

"I said get up." I repeated. When he made no attempt to get up, I latched onto his wrist and tried to pull him up, which I failed to do, of course. He's not the lightweight he was back in his puberty years.

Smirking at my attempt, he pulled himself up and allowed me to drag him out of my room and down the hall. Just then, Emma chose the perfect time to come out pantsless with only her long t-shirt covering just below her butt. It didn't help her at all when she had her stained panty in hand. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at my sister's embarrassment.

"Oh my god!" She screamed once her eyes landed on me, and, more importantly, Adrian. "How did he get in here? Don't look!" She shrieked, running back into the bathroom and slamming the door with a large thud.

Adrian looked completely flustered and uncomfortable, a tinge of red tinting his cheeks. I couldn't even imagine the level of embarrassment he must be feeling. Even if this whole stunt was highly amusing from my eyes.

Still laughing to myself, I pulled him along. "Enjoy the show of legs?" I teased.

"Why don't you take your pants off and ask me the same question?" He smirked back, wagging his eyebrows at me.

I mumbled out a 'Pervert' under my breathe and pulled away from him, leaving him laughing behind me as I went to grab my keys. "We're taking my car."

"Why?"

I narrowed my eyes at his outfit with my keys at hand. The shirt he was wearing was much too eye-catching. I ignored the soon-to-come awkwardness and began unbuttoning the top of his shirt. He stared at me with wide eyes, to which I rolled my own at him.

"I don't want you looking like you came out of a mens' magazine." I told him.

"And here I thought you just wanted to undress me." He teased.

"Keep dreaming, Superstar."

"If you wanted to see me naked you could've just asked, Sweetheart."

"Shut up." I muttered, sending him a harsh glare.

After pushing the top layer off, a plain navy shirt was left covering his upper body. Then I reached up and ran my fingers through his hair, messing it up as I did and taking away it's shape so it was back to his sexy, everyday look.

Sexy? I could imagine the smirk Emma would be giving me. The 'I told you so' at the tip of her tounge at the compliment that a best friend shouldn't be saying, even if it is normal in a relationship like mine and Adrian's.

During the time I was trying to make him look normal, the way Adrian was gazing down at me made a blush and squirm. The look he gave me was becoming more and more frequent these past few days. I didn't know why, and I don't think I want to know.

"Okay, we're done." I said quickly, pulling away and rushing outside, Adrian following from behind.

"So, where are we going?" He asked once we were on the road. Today wasn't the only day that Adrian has been on edge about the things Thomas has been trying to make him do. He hasn't said it yet, but I know he's the reason for his moody behaviour.

Adrian has lived the last four years of his life living the Hollywood life. His career was his main focus, every minute of the day. It's like it's trying to catch up with the normal life Adrian's trying to live for the year, and he doesn't want it to catch up just yet.

Tonight was the night to give him a free night. Where he could just relax and enjoy life as he was before he left for LA. And I knew exactly how to do it.

I gave him a sideways smile. "We're taking a route down memory lane." 

"I can't believe you took me here." He breathed. I smiled and pulled my jacket tighter around my body. After a half hour drive and Adrian's endless guessing about where we're going, we finally arrived at the place I knew would allow Adrian to relax.

The boardwalk.

This boardwalk was not only our childhood place where we use to go to all the time, it's where the last place Adrian and I spent together before he moved. The picture sitting in his living room, as well as my bedside table, was set here. It also happens to be one of my favorite pictures of all time.

Adrian stared down the boardwalk with complete awe, as if he really couldn't believe I had taken him to the place we admired in our childhood days. The sound of crashing waves was nearly drowned out by the blend of conversation, screams, and laughing joy filling the early night sky. The twinkling stars came out to play tonight, making the whole scene perfect for my tonight's mission.

My eyes fluttered from the Mother Nature's twinkling night sky to the thriving activity a few feet down the boardwalk. Memories of coming down here with Adrian, as well as our family, flooded my mind, and I felt vastly satisfied with my choice of location.

Everything from the games we would compete for the bigger prize in and shrug off if we thought the game was rigged; the unhealthy yet immensely delicious food that we would scarf down in between booths and rides; the increasing thrill that came with each ride that became available to us as we grew older. This was my childhood. This was our childhood. Adrian and I was always at our closest when we came here, and it's here where my crush for my best friend was made clear to me. 

Emma's words haunted my mind again and I internally shook my head. The romantic feelings I had for him faded when he left for four years. There wasn't anything in this world that could make Adrian like me when he could have somebody a hundred times better at his doorstep.

There wasn't a doubt in my mind that, one day, I will find someone whom I will love just as much as he loves me. And when Adrian finds his own half in the world, I will support him. And tonight, I'm going to give him the support he needs right now. The one night he desires to have it as it was back then, I'm going to make it a hell lot better.

"We use to come here every week," I smiled, still not looking at him, "I figured that if there's one place where you could be yourself for a few hours, it would be the place we use to have fun in since we were old enough to go on one of those baby rides."

When I did turn to look at Adrian, my heart skipped a beat. The intensity that was in his eyes back at the house seemed to triple with the way he stared down at me now. And the funny thing was, I didn't look away. I met his gaze and kept it, celebrating the fact that I managed to be looked at as someone that's capable of doing something wonderful, even if it is giving someone a chance to escape whatever is going on in their life.

Though it made my heart rate race beyond belief, I stared back into Adrian's eyes, a smile of my own erupting onto my face. My hand slowly found his and I intertwined our fingers together. He looked down at our hands and his smile widened more. As weird as it sounds, Adrian and I never hold hands. Usually, his arm was casually slung over my shoulder or around my waist when we would walk together. It wasn't strange or weird, the way his palm felt pressed against mine. It felt normal and comforting. I loved it.

Adrian suddenly caught me off guard by tugging me closer to him, colliding our bodies tightly as his free hand wrapped around my body and laid flat at the small of my back, lowering his face extremely close to me. My breathe caught in my throat and I suddenly turned into a dumb buffoon who doesn't know how to take oxygen into their lungs.

His forehead rested against mine and he sighed in content, making my own body relax and just enjoy the calm feeling that overtook my body.

We stayed like that for a while, time slipping my mind and the small piece of information of the boardwalk closing at midnight vanishing into oblivion. The familiar beach noises made up of the tides crashing onto the shore and seagulls squawking from the sky above mixed with the laughs and faraway music from the boardwalk. I closed my eyes and took in everything. Combined with the familiar noise and the warmth of being in Adrian's arms, the night was already the best I've ever had in months. And the night was still young.

My eyes cracked open just enough to see the boardwalk when Adrian's lips pressed softly against my cheek. My hand squeezed against his at the gesture. Although his breathe was warm against my bare skin, I shivered when he whispered in my ear.

"Thanks, Sweetheart."

I pulled away just enough so I could see his face. "Don't say thank you yet, we haven't even gotten to the fun part of the night." I said, grinning excitedly. The boardwalk never failed to give us a night to remember.

"Well then," Adrian leaned in closer again and brought his mouth to my ear, "Let the fun begin." He whispered.

The both of us paid for our tickets and entered the boardwalk. The inside was just as stunning as it was from far away. The different rides and booth illuminated the dock in all different colors. Bright signs from restaurants and rides flashed in different patterns, catching peoples' eyes and luring them to enjoy what they have to offer.

I think I was going to burst out of how excited I was to be back here again.

"Where to first?" Adrian asked, swinging our still joined hands back and forth.

"Food!" Was my immediate response. The sandwich I had during lunch combined with the ice cream I had a few hours ago was starting to dissolve, leaving my stomach to eat itself as replacement.

Adrian chuckled and pulled me towards a retro sit down diner. The whole interior design was filled with old pictures from the boardwalk's past, ranging from newspapers to old uniforms hanging on the walls. Adrian led us to a booth far into the corner.

"Why do you want to eat so far away?"

"I don't want anyone to recognize me. I just want this night to be the two of us. Hanging out like we use to."

Adrian's back faced the entire restaurant while his face was to me. It never seemed possible that Adrian would want to get away from what his life has turned into, considering this was his dream when we children. Now it seems like all he wants to do is hide away from all the cameras and people that might recognize him and sink back into his old life. 

I patted his hand and gave him a smile. "I'll order the food, okay? You stay here and read that old newspaper that's right next to you on the wall."

With that, I stood up and left Adrian to read a framed article about the owner who opened this small diner in the 1900s. I returned with a tray full of only fries, chicken tenders, and two smoothies. We both know that if we wanted to eat all the other goods around the boardwalk, we should eat a light dinner. 

"I learned that the guy who opened this diner died a few years before we were born." Adrian informed me when I set down the food. I settled back into my seat and snatched a fry from the basket.

"That's nice," I chuckled. I started to zone out while we ate our food, thinking about the main reason we were here. Why was Adrian so upset? I looked up to see he was absorbed reading the other articles framed onto the wall, a chicken tender in hand.

I shouldn't ask him. This was his night to forget about what he has to go back to next year. I didn't even want to think about that. 

It's his free night, Macey. Give him one night before you shoot him down with questions. 

"Why are you nodding?"

"Hmm?" Adrian had already finished eating his food and was looking at me curiously. 

"You were nodding."

I was nodding to myself? Oops. "I was just.. nodding my head to the music." I said dumbly.

"Uh-huh.." Adrian leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms against his chest, smirking at me. Like he would've bought that excuse. Smooth is what I am, smooth as someone who has the worst case of acne. "There's no music."

At his words, I strained my ears to listen over the conversation flowing through the room and realized that he was right. There was absolutely no music.

"There's this tune I got stuck in my head." I shrugged, grabbing my smoothie and sucking the contents from the straw. Adrian's eyes went from my eyes down to my lips, watching me drink up the remaining liquid.

"What?" 

"Nothing." He shook his head and got up from the booth. I followed suit and was pulled into him when his arm wrapped around my shoulders. "Come on, Pinocchio." He teased, making me laugh and relax under his arm. I won't question him tonight, but tomorrow he's in for an interrogation.

The time had only passed slightly, and the whole atmosphere was thriving. There was a higher number of people now. Teenagers goofing around with their friends, parents being pulled along by their eager children, and couples enjoying a date surrounded by the activities the place by seashore had to offer. 

One couple in particular caught my eye. They were both teenagers, young, maybe no younger than fifteen. A tall, lanky guy with auburn hair strolled casually next to whom I assumed was his date. The girl was pretty, reaching up to the boy's shoulder in height with honey blonde hair that fell down her shoulders in curls. Her arms were wrapped tightly around her body and her eyes were content with staring straight down at her flats. She was nervous.

"It's their first date." I heard Adrian say softly, meant for my ears only. I smiled at the thought. First date, first love.

The boy bumped his shoulder against the girl's, finally getting his date's attention as she looked up at him. He said something that made her smile, and the two of them made their way to a nearby booth. It was one of those games where you had to three balls in which you had to roll hard enough to have them land on top of a colored cups. He had failed to get his date a prize while she appreciated the try, but he didn't give up. He placed three more dollars on the counter and tried again. This time, he was able to get two of the three balls on a colored cup. A smile and a blush appeared on the girl's face as he handed her a stuffed bunny. 

"Adrian," I gasped, slapping his hard stomach frantically at what was happening before me. "Oh my gosh, look!"

The rumbling of his body indicated that he was chuckling at my reaction but watched the scene unfold. It was like a movie scene, where the main couple stare endlessly into eachother's eyes, like they could stay that way all night long. And then the guy slowly leans in closer, hovering just before their lips touch. 

I rested my head against Adrian's shoulder before they advanced into their special little moment. Both of Adrian's arms snaked around my waist to pull me in a hug, and I felt him press his lips to the top of my head.

"It's cute," I said quietly, nuzzling my head against the crook of his neck. 

"What is?"

"You know, first crush," I wrapped my arms around Adrian's neck and looked up at him. He was my first crush, even before I knew what feelings were. I wonder who his first crush was. "First date. First kiss. First love. A few of the best things in life."

Adrian tilted his head to the side. "How do you they're in love?"

I figured that their moment was over, so I directed my attention to see them smiling adoringly at each other. The boy looked like he just won the lottery and the prize was a million dollars. He was smiling an open mouthed smile, like he couldn't believe what he just did but was damn happy he did. And he had every right to react that way because the girl in his arms could be worth more than just a million dollars.

The girl looked like there was nothing on this Earth, big or small, that could ruin the perfect moment that she had with the boy that was looking at her like she was the only girl he would ever need in life. She was biting her lip gently to hold back the smile that was waiting to burst onto her face, her eyes  never straying from the boy who was holding her close. You would have to be blind not to see the chemistry between them.

"The way they look at each other." I exhaled. A sudden tightness formed in my chest when I compared myself to that couple. I wanted to be the one that looked like that. I wanted someone to stare at me like I was worth something. To have someone who would take time out of their day just to spend their day with you because they wanted to. They want to be close to you, to hold you, and kiss you.

I wanted that.

I glanced up at Adrian through my eyelashes to see that same intense gaze he's been giving me this whole night, making a weird feeling erupt in my stomach.

Well he's going to have to suck it up since Adrian's got the hots for you and all.

It's obvious Adrian still has feelings for you...

you'd have to be blind not to see the chemistry between you two...

"You mean the way he looks at you, holds you, talks about you, kisses...

Face the music, Adrian likes you. 

I sighed and let my head rest against Adrian's shoulder. No, no, no. I shouldn't even be dwelling about this. Not tonight, anyways. It's his night. One night, and I couldn't even give him that.

"Mace, are you okay?" Adrian's concerned tone made me snap my head back up. He was frowning, probably in confusion. One minute I'm gushing over a couple's first kiss and the next I'm sighing like someone just drained the life out of me. What is wrong with me?

"I'm fine." Moving on from the scene of young love, I towed Adrian farther down the boardwalk. "You know what's up next, right?" All our trips down here have been through the same routine, each and every time. This part just brought out how competitive he really is.

Adrian stopped and turned to me slowly. "You mean..?"

I smirked at him.

"Oh, you're so on."

Five minutes later, Adrian and I were competing at a booth called Casey at the Bat where we had to shoot 3 balls into the middle of the umpire's bat. Needless to say, It was rigged.

"I don't remember these games all being rigged back then." Adrian complained once we lost our eighth game tonight. I did, however, manage to win a Smurf from the balloon dart game that was purely out of luck. Adrian had refused to take my pity gift to him.

"You just suck at them, now that you've been gone so long." I laughed. With so much practice, Adrian had almost mastered all the games here. I guess the years he spent in LA had deprived him of his boardwalk mastery. 

"I have not." He argued. 

I rolled my eyes but couldn't keep the smile off my face. My phone read it was just past 9:30 at night, giving us enough time to play one more game before we direct ourselves to the end of our night trying to lose our voices.

Adrian switched to holding my hand while we scanned for our last game of the night. We were passing by a cotton candy stand when someone called out to us.

"Hey, hey, you two!"

We both turned around to see a short, energetic man with graying hair looking at us in front of a booth that I haven't seen before. He waved us over with his cane. Adrian tugged on my hand and brought us towards the man. I looked up at the fancy sign above of the booth.

Cupid's Arrow, it read. Ahead, there was several mini people, the ones you would see labeling which bathroom was which, hanging on the wall with a heart connecting between their hands. The old man smiled at us and held out three miniature arrows, or, in this case, darts.

"Win a rose for your lady, my friend. All you have to do is get one of these arrows into one of those hearts." He pointed, smiling at the two of us. His name tag said 'Harvey.' I would've objected to being Adrian's 'lady' if Adrian didn't take up his offer before I could say a word.

"Really?" I asked him as he placed three dollars on the counter and taking the darts from Harvey. So far this night, his aim has been beyond awful. If I didn't know him already, I would've thought he was blind when he accidentally knocked someone's hat off instead of the pyramid as it's original target.

"Sure, why not? Maybe I could win you something, for once." 

I shrugged and sat up on the counter. If he wanted to try, I wasn't going to stop him. "Don't blow your money just to get me a single rose." I told him. Knowing what guys do for their lady friends, I didn't want him trying time and time again just to get me a single rose. Brynn's mother has been growing rose bushes since her daughter entered high school.

"I just want to try." With those words, he fired his first dart. It landed besides the man, landing in open space. The next one was a better aim, even if he managed to hit the women in the head. 

"Head shot." He smirked.

"You're suppose to win a person's heart, not their head." I said sweetly making him stick his tongue out at me like a child.

A few people who suddenly took interest in the booth stood around us, watching Adrian. Twisting his last arrow between his fingers, he inhaled a breathe, drew back his arm, and threw it.

The arrow stuck perfectly in the middle of a heart. He had actually one something. Out of all the booths he could have won a prize at, he had won a rose for his 'lady.' Harvey grinned at the dart and reached under the counter, pulling out an actual red rose and handing it to Adrian. Smiling quite smugly, he plucked it out of his fingers with a thanks before making a big scene of strolling over to where I was sitting and grandly holding out the rose.

"Out of all the prizes you could've won tonight." I giggled, bringing the rose up to my nose and sniffing it. A glint flashed in Adrian's eyes as he lent over and placed a kiss on my cheek.

"Only the best for my lady." He said out loud, earning a positive response from the small crowd that happened to be watching.  I even saw the young couple we had been watching earlier smile at us in which I returned.

"You are such a flirt." I told him low enough for only him to hear. A small, weird squeak left my mouth when he did something unsual. He just kissed my nose.

"Adrian!" I exclaimed, my mouth wide open and my cheeks heating up. He says he wants to be invisible to the public, yet he decides to make us look like a couple on a date. What if there's paparrazzi around? Does he want people to recognize him by drawing more attention?

Against my questioning thoughts, Adrian surprised me by grabbing me by the waist and pulling me off of the counter to twirl me around like he use to do when we were kids. I squealed and wrapped my arms around his neck. He hasn't done this in so long. And I never knew how much I missed it until spun me around in his arms so many times. I felt dizzy.

"Put me down!" I laughed. It took my a few moments until the world around me stopped spinning like a top. Once it did, I slapped Adrian's shoulder. "What are you doing? You said you didn't want to attract attention." The words came out soft and confused, not sharp and angry. He was practically hiding back in the diner, why would he come out like this now? Especially when Thomas thinks I would personally ruin his image.

"Mace, I want to be able to do things that I would have done if I wasn't famous. And right now, if my career didn't exist and I was nothing but an average teenager, I would've done what I did just now."

How do you breath again? I thought we went through this already. In, out, in, out. With Emma's words and how he's been acting today is really bringing up hopes that shouldn't even be in mind right now. I liked how he was teasing me and how he openly showed affection towards me. I wasn't suppose to, but I did. And I liked it so damn much.

"Let's go ride some rides."

The warm night air had suddenly dropped dramatically, leaving my thin jacket completely useless to my shivering body. We had just finished riding all the rides we were capable of, meaning whatever Adrian wanted to drag me onto. But now we were done, and I felt like I was going to throw up in the nearest trash bin.

Adrian came up to my spot on the bench with a bottle of water. I took it from him and began to drink it down when he spoke, "Remember when we were twelve and that ride was first installed? I told you that it didn't flip us upside down, and when we went on it, we flipped so many times."

I closed the bottle and laughed. "And I ended up loving it so much that we went three more times until we got sick and had to lay on the beach so we could calm down."

Hearing Adrian laugh with me finally made me satisfied with the night. Not only did he have fun, but I got to spend quality time with my best friend just like the good ole' days; none of his Hollywood life got in the way, just the way I liked it.

An immediate warmth was draped over my shoulders, and I noticed that Adrian had given me his jacket. I smiled in appreciation and wrapped it tighter around my body. "We should probably be heading home soon." I said, checking my phone. It was nearing midnight, which was my assigned curfew.

"I guess you're right." He sighed, leaning forward on his knees. "But first.." I was pulled to my feet and back down the boardwalk where the water was more close. "We have to end the night like we usually do."

Understanding dawned over me at the sight of the big Ferris Wheel in all it's circular, lighting glory. The Ferris Wheel was the last place where we would go to end our nighttime fun before leaving the boardwalk.

There wasn't a lot of people on, just a few couples and friends wanting to catch the scenery as the wheel rotated high up into the Miami air. The employee locked up our cart and nodded to his friend to start moving us up. I settled into Adrian's side as his arm came around my waist, my head resting against his shoulder. The exhaustion was slowly returning. By the time I hit the warmth of my comforting bed, I'd be out cold.

I closed my eyes and enjoyed the light cold breeze caressing my skin, but at the same time being warmed up by the arms of a certain guy next to me. I had no idea how many times we went around, but I had a feeling that we went around more than we were suppose to.

The once loud and energetic setting of the boardwalk and calmed down to a light hum of waves and left over conversation. A large groaning noise had told me that we stopped to let passengers below get off. The chilly breeze told me that we were high enough off the ground to see the whole beach.

"Hey, Mace?" It was the first time we spoke since we got on.

"Hmm?"

He didn't say anything at first. I could feel him hesitate. "Do you think that if I didn't leave for LA, that there could've been more between us?" 

His words were slow and cautious, like I would freak out by what he asked. I didn't, but I wanted to. What I did do was freeze like my body all of a sudden locked in its position. Did I hear him right?

"W-What?"

Adrian breathed deeply as if this was a hard topic to bring up. "If I didn't move to LA. You know, leave you for all those years and stayed here, with you, instead of living the life I am now..." I rose my head from his shoulder to look at him. This couldn't be happening. "Was there a chance that we could have been more than just best friends? Even to this day."

And there it was. Like a bomb.  A slap to the face. A plus on a pregnancy test. My mind could not simply fathom Adrian's words to know if he was joking or not. But his face said otherwise. It was straight and serious, a surge of hope gleaming in his eyes.  It was real. What he said was real. And I already knew the answer.

I couldn't deny reality any longer. Adrian had just technically told me that he likes me. Kind of.

The crush I had for Adrian was there since I kept him company on 'The Wall' during fourth grade when he had gotten in trouble. Our parents knew one another before that, and Emma and Kelly were in middle school. We knew each other, but never exchanged more than a three minute conversation. Not until he was upset for getting a timeout during lunch with all the bad kids, and I stayed there beside him in the beating sun, sitting against hot concrete.

We were inseparable after that day. Always coming over to play in the backyard or make homemade videos of Adrian acting. I gave him advice whenever he wanted to get a girl's attention but didn't know how. He would skip school just to take care of me when I got sick, though it sometimes was just a simple flu. I supported him through all his relationships, even when one of them would bring me shit later on. 

That crush stayed strong until Adrian left for LA to follow his dreams. He went off to be the person he always imagined to be, and he lived the life I knew he was destined to have. The loss of contact resulted into the loss of that crush that I've built over the years. I saw him on magazines, on the internet, through the TV, even on radio interviews. And somewhere deep down, I pushed away my feelings for him because I knew that our friendship was over. I would never see him again.

Obviously, fate had other plans by bringing him back home and into my life again, reminiscing in our memories and making new ones for the next year. And, of course, bringing back how I actually feel.

Adrian seemed nervous with my lack of response. All I could do was stare at him like a moron. Despite the millions of words and thoughts that I could say to him, I couldn't force out a single letter. It looked like he was going to say something instead if somebody didn't speak before him.

"Time to get off, kids."

The attendant looked at us with a flat expression, probably annoyed with the constant number of couples that are so immersed in each other realization that the ride is over doesn't come to them until he has to take it upon himself to tell them 'Get off.'

I said a quick sorry and clambered out of the cart, slipping my arms through Adrian's jacket sleeves and wrapping the fabric tighter around my body. Adrian caught up with me easily and the both of us absentmindedly made our way towards the car. We were so far into our own thoughts that none of us said a single word.

I had to repeat the process of  squeezing my eyes shut and opening them just to keep myself awake long enough to drive ourselves home in my drowsy street. As much as I loved spending this night here with Adrian, I desperately wanted to go home and surrender myself to the art of sleep. Though, I don't know if I will be able to get a decent amount of sleep when I know Adrian's words will be on repeat in my mind until the early hours of morning.

Adrian must have noticed my exhaustion as he opted to be the driver instead of me. The drive home was silent. The radio wasn't even on to provide us something to fill the tension in the air. Adrian kept his focus on the road while I stared out the window. I didn't know where Adrian's question left the two of us. None of us could muster enough courage to talk about it, considering that I left his question unanswered. Suddenly, I was afraid that he mad at me for never giving him an answer. His whole nervous demeanour told me that it wasn't an easy thing to bring out.

I was relieved of my thoughts when Adrian reached over and laced his fingers with mine, sending me a soft smile that made my heart rate pick up. It hasn't done that for a guy in a long time.

The lights were off when we stopped in front of my house, indicating that everyone had already went to bed. I got out of the car and Adrian walked me up to the front door.

"Thanks for tonight, Macey. I had the most fun tonight than I've had in my last couple of months in LA." Adrian said genuinely, hooking an arm around my waist and pulling me into his chest for a hug.

I smiled and ruffled his hair playfully. "I'm glad I could give you a night. It was fun going back to the boardwalk with you."

The intense gaze was back, but a million times stronger. And in that moment, I knew that what I wanted was holding me in his arms right now. 

I have someone who stared at me like I was worth something. I have someone who would take time out of their day just to spend their day with me because he wanted to. I have someone who constantly cares about me, holds me, and even kisses me. Even if it isn't in the same level as a real couple.

I have Adrian.

As if he could read my thoughts, Adrian decided to test how hard my heart could beat against my chest. He dipped his head low and pressed his lips gently on the crook of my neck, trailing upwards and leaving a trail of fire in every place his lips touched. He kissed up my collarbone, up my neck, my cheek, and even pecking my nose like he did at the Cupid's Arrow booth. But this isn't what got my heart almost ripping out of my chest. The part that caught my breathe, where the butterflies erupted and fluttered furiously inside my stomach, is when he kissed the corner of my lip for the longest time; I would have collapsed if he wasn't gripping my waist so tightly.

Kissing the corner of lip was enough not to cross the best friend boundary that we still have, but it's enough to cross it just to the point where we know things have changed for us.

And this night has changed everything.

He gave me one last kiss on the forehead before bidding goodnight and walking to his car, leaving me still trying to calm my beating heart.

"Adrian?"

He turned around. "Yeah?"

I bit my lip. "I don't think those four years affected the way I feel about you back then... and now." My voice was so soft I'm not sure if he even heard me. It was the truth, though. I'm not going to lie to myself anymore. Those feelings were simply just put away until it flourished into a stronger sensation when I'm around him.

The wide smile on Adrian's face was something I wish I could snapshot and keep forever. I always loved when one of his famous wide smiles would spread across his face because it was impossible not to smile back at the sight. I always felt accomplished if I could make that smile appear but this one just meant something more.

He seemed highly satisfied with my answer and the smile never faltered. "Goodnight, Sweetheart." 

Saving my inner organs from being trampled by the mob of butterflies attacking the inside of my body, I rushed inside and closed the door, leaning against it and sliding down until my butt hit the floor. Adrian was still standing outside, smiling at my house, when I peeked through the window beside the door. I saw him nod to himself before shoving his hands in his pocket and walking to his car. My inner fan girl, as crazy as it sound, was brought out when I rushed to the couch and squealed as quiet as I could into a couch pillow without waking anybody.

I felt like the 14 year old me as I sat there with a smile that could break my face in half and a heart beating like I ran a marathon. After all those times I felt like I was just his best friend, standing to the side as I watched him with Cammie or Reyna or whoever the hell he dated four years ago, there was still room for me in his heart.

I was startled when someone rammed into me by jumping onto the couch, giggling and squealing like a girl who just had her first kiss. Emma, dressed in her Tweety bird pajamas, stared down at me with a smile wide as mine, and I knew she had been watching.

"I. Told. You." She mouthed, shaking me by my shoulders and hopping up and down on the couch. I thought she was trying to be quiet for mom and dad but then she let out the loudest shriek that made our dad calm down with the emergency bat and mom almost running into him as she rushed down the stairs.

"What happened?!" He shouted. Still half asleep, dad immediately jumped to attack mode without accessing the situation properly before he swung the bat like a professional. The tip nicked the edge of a picture frame, but with the force he was using, the frame came flying and hit the couch Emma and I was sitting on.

"Dad!" We both yelled. Our mom let out a loud gasp as she stared down at the broken frame. Dad seemed to snap out of his sleep trance, dropping the bat and looking at our mom guiltily. His eyes switched to us, both safe and unharmed, and he huffed.

"What is going on down here?"

Emma and I shared similar deer-caught-in-headlights before we simultaneously said our answers.

"Nothing!"

******

This chapter is so long! Reason for the early update is because this is a thank you for getting Childhood Crush up to #461 in Humor AND #895 in Teen Fiction! I never really thought it could make it there considering all the silent readers :O

But thank you guys so so much for getting this story there, I was so absolutely happy I couldn't believe it <3 I will be going back to edit this chapter because I'm pretty sure I missed a lot of things so ignore those typos and stuff (: 

Have an absolutely amazing and SAFE Halloween you guys! I had a classmate who died on Halloween night in 7th grade and I don't want you guys to have many Halloweens ahead of you (: Have fun but be safe!  

Don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT, SHARE, and FOLLOW! I would really love to hear what you guys have to say about this chapter! 

 Lots of Love, 

-Jesse <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

163 1 15
Maddison's life as a 22 year old, conquering New York, is the most ideal life you could see in a magazine. Possibly even mistaken her for a runway mo...
339K 9.4K 83
"How many romance books do you read?" Devin asks me. I shrug. "I like them," I say. I keep browsing, running my fingers along the spines. "...
185 0 13
We never really got to finish our story Travis, so I will. This is what I saw for us. I hope this story finds you. I hope you read this with an open...
79.8K 4.1K 19
They hear small small foot steps coming from hall. They immediately knew whose footsteps those are. She slowly drags her feet into dinning room whil...