Top 100 Batman VILLAINS

By SweetLikeCandyXoxo

Name basically describes it. It's a list of the top 100 Batman villains. (Note: This isn't MY list. So, if yo... More

Introduction
100 - Lynx
99 - Zeiss
98 - Lady Vic
97 - Scarlet
96 - Guy Gardener
95 - Magpie
94 - Brutale
93 - Penny Plunderer
92 - Reaper
91 - Phantasm
90 - Red Hood (Jason Todd)
89 - Professor Pyg
88 - Black Spider
87 - Firebug
86 - Batzarro
85 - Mad Monk
84 - Joe Chill
83 - Clayface (Sondra Fuller)
82 - Tally Man
81 - Arnold Wesker
80 - Torque
79 - Tarantula (Catalina Flores)
78 - Nyssa Raatko
77 - Nocturna
76 - Sensei
75 - Baby Doll
74 - The Hyperclan
73 - Cavalier
72 - Clayface (Matt Hagen)
71 - The Club of Villains
70 - Cornelius Stirk
69 - Blockbuster (Mark Desmond)
68 - Lord Death Man
67 - Killer Moth
66 - Flamingo
65 - The Key
64 - Facade
63 - Lock-Up
62 - Crime Doctor
61 - King Snake
60 - Rupert Thorne
59 - Jane Doe
58 - Sal Maroni
57 - Music Meister
56 - Ratcatcher
55 - Killer Croc
54 - Egghead
53 - Kyle Abbot and Whisper a'Daire
52 - Carmine Falcone
51 - Great White Shark
50 - Copperhead
49 - Electricutioner
48 - Wrath
47 - Maxie Zeus
46 - Mad Hatter
45 - KGBeast
44 - Gentleman Ghost
43 - Zsasz
42 - Simon Hurt
41 - Onomatopeia
40 - Doctor Phosphorus
39 - Owlman
38 - David Cain
37 - Hugo Strange
36 - Firefly
35 - Man-Bat
34 - Solomon Grundy
33 - Bad Samaratin
32 - Penguin
31 - Mister Freeze
30 - Calender Man
29 - Clock King
28 - Cluemaster
27 - Clayface (Basil Karlo)
26 - Ventriloquist (Peyton Reiley)
25 - Ragdoll
24 - Holiday
23 - Darkseid
22 - Hush
21 - Lady Shiva
20 - Blockbuster II
19 - Black Mask
18 - Deathstroke
17 - Bane
16 - Talia al Ghul
15 - Calculator
13 - Poison Ivy
12 - Anarky
11 - Catman
10 - Prometheus
9 - Deadshot
8 - Lex Luthor
7 - Catwoman
6 - Harley Quinn
5 - Two-Face
4 - Joker
3 - Ra's al Ghul
2 - Scarecrow
1 - The Riddler

14 - Count Vertigo

148 2 0
By SweetLikeCandyXoxo

#14 - Count Vertigo
First Appearance: World's Finest Comics #251 (Jul 1978)

"Suicide wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't so cowardly." ~Count Vertigo

Here's an example of how my scoring system might not be all it's cracked up to be: Count Vertigo scored perfect scores across the board, except in the category you might find most important - Impact on Bat-mythos.

Frankly, I don't care. Because Count Vertigo is my second favorite villain of all time.

Let's start with Suicide Squad, where Vertigo went from an interesting but unnecessary villain, transforming into the unique, layered villain I love so much. First of all, they were working with a great palette; Vertigo's power is truly unique, and artistically, there's always something cool to do with it. The expression of disorientation on the page is always a highlight of an issue with Vertie, giving the artist the ability to really play with color and lighting, and obviously perspective. So I always dig the one-of-a-kind role Vertie plays in that regards. He's also got a great costume that really sums him up; it's regal and yet still maintains a hint of villainy without coming across as flat-out evil, and that's perfect for a slimeball like the Count, who can gracefully go from the darkest side of evil to the light side of anti-hero in any given issue.

Suicide Squad really highlights that, as his work with the Suicide Squad started to bring out other new pieces of info with the Count - mainly that he was the crown prince of Vlatava. Vlatava, a country so bereft of evil that the Spectre literally wiped it off of the face of the Earth. So how did Vertie survive? Literally was committing a crime somewhere else. Of course, that by itself doesn't make him amazing, but it's a really solid start. I love that he's bipolar and has to take medication and also deal with it a lot. It's not characterized ridiculously, but he can be really depressed sometimes, which makes things freaking hilarious. Imagine trying to corral a team of villains and here's one guy that's just like "I wish I was dead." "Go attack that monster!" "Ah... what's the point? We're all going to die anyways." I love it.

Count Vertigo also features in one of my favorite eps of BTAS as well as being one of those go-to bad guys whenever there's need for a group of villains. A lot of the biggest Batman storylines end up involving Vertie since he's just so Vertie-satile. That was a terrible pun, and I don't care, because it's true: Count Vertigo fits in perfectly in ANY franchise. And he has; from Batman (and he's appeared in Bat titles at least twenty times just counting the issues I own), Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, Suicide Squad, Justice League, Justice Society... the guy has tangled with everyone in the DCU, and it works so well because his power is so all-encompassing. Supergod powers don't mean squat if you can't figure out which way is up and you have no focus. Vertigo is the ultimate troll, and I love it.

Obviously this is one of the villains where my opinion gets to totally veto all common sense on this list, but let's face it: Vertigo is well-designed, well-characterized, smart, crafty, oily, well-spoken and a joy to simply LOOK AT in comics. That's a job well done.

Greatest Count Vertigo Story Ever Told:Arrow - Go watch this show. Vertigo's role on the show was really as the first legit big bad in the series, portrayed by that guy from Fringe who never was in the main cast even though he was pretty cool. A well-done portrayal that really helped solidify the series as it began.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 127 7
Its a new school year at UA and you meet up with your friend Kirishima and Uraraka, and they introduce you to the new student Katsuki Bakugo. at firs...
206K 4.6K 68
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad
257K 5.9K 57
❝ i loved you so hard for a time, i've tried to ration it out all my life. ❞ kate martin x fem! oc